• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III |OT|

Kittonwy

Banned
Mikey Jr. said:
Just beat the game on Titan and got Platinum (almost platinum. Apparently you have to watch the credits?). I have to say, titan was not that easy. Some fights were down right infuriating.

Overall, I liked it a lot.

I didn't feel though as Zeus being a real bad guy. I kinda felt bad about beating him at the end. He didn't give off a super bad guy vibe. Maybe I have to play GOW 1 and 2 again. But yeah, there has to be another God Of War. You don't create an engine from scratch and only make one game with it.

It's just kind of an angsty anti-dad fantasy.

Filldough

Mikey Jr. said:
Just beat the game on Titan and got Platinum (almost platinum. Apparently you have to watch the credits?). I have to say, titan was not that easy. Some fights were down right infuriating.

I didn't feel though as Zeus being a real bad guy. I kinda felt bad about beating him at the end. He didn't give off a super bad guy vibe. Maybe I have to play GOW 1 and 2 again. But yeah, there has to be another God Of War. You don't create an engine from scratch and only make one game with it.

They can use the engine to make other games too :)

Zen

Banned
Filldough said:
They can use the engine to make other games too :)

And from the sounds of it Stig and Co are going to be working on something new now that God of War III is done.

I only ever encountered one or two glitches, thankfully.

Mikey Jr.

haha, yeah, I guess you guys are right.

Btw, man, I gotta say a big fuck you to Santa Monica or SCEA. When you defeat Titan, you get a bonus 0 costumes! Wicked! Except when you beat the game on easy and get fear. I thought maybe I did something wrong.

They are all pre-order and ultimate edition bullshit extras. I can understand extra challenge rooms, but 1 costume? Are you fucking joking me? Thanks for giving me re-playability incentives! I was going to play on chaos with what I thought was going to be a shit ton of costumes like Gow2. Beat the game 3 times already, really no point playing it anymore. Trade!

Massa

Mikey Jr. said:

Kratos is the bad guy in this game. Totally different character than what we saw in the original God of War.

2real4tv said:
Again don't know what game your playing never had problems with R1, had some problems with double jump but to say to is one of the worst is crazy their is some awful games out there.

edit: I did have problems with the sex scene

Actually, I've already attributed the R1 chest glitch to the HDD doing some background saving. It won't let me press and hold R1 while the orange light is blinking. Try it.

When I say "brokenest game", I'm not saying worst game. I love it a ton. It's just the game that I've experienced the most "wtf" worthy glitches so far.

*don't highlight my spoiler text if you haven't played the game*

Playing this for the first time now. I'm about half way through I think. Who else got a
boner
during the
aphrodite sex game
?

best tits in a video game ever

Filldough

chubigans said:
I never thought we were. Starting to doubt Heavy Rain DLC too. :(

Eh Stig said in an interview that there was a possibility of releasing an epilogue as free DLC. A lot of people I think thought that's what the spartanwhatever website was about but now looks like its more related to the new PSP game.

rc213

criesofthepast said:
*don't highlight my spoiler text if you haven't played the game*

Playing this for the first time now. I'm about half way through I think. Who else got a
boner
during the
aphrodite sex game
?

best tits in a video game ever

Poseidon's Chamber princess had some nice ones too. ( . )( . )

Got my platinum, Challenges were pretty awesome as well. Although I found Normal to be way to easy compared to Titan. I also had all the 3 bars maxed out because I was paying attention and found twice as many hidden chests than I did on Titan. :lol

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
chubigans said:
I never thought we were. Starting to doubt Heavy Rain DLC too. :(

Yeah. Kinda pissed about this since Dante's Inferno got an interesting DLC (multiplayer and editor) but then again Dante's Inferno aint GOW to begin with.

Karram

Am I the only who finished the game in more than 10 sitting or something like that ? I mean I had the game on Day 1 and finished just 2 days ago.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Filldough said:
Eh Stig said in an interview that there was a possibility of releasing an epilogue as free DLC. A lot of people I think thought that's what the spartanwhatever website was about but now looks like its more related to the new PSP game.
The game logo that showed up in the page tells me that it is related to Ghost of Sparta. :p

CozMick

Banned
After starting to play this game again on Titan since completing it on God on day of release I must say that this game is truly a wonderful experience that in my opinion hasn't been matched this year so far, (GT5?)

I spent 3, yes THREE fucking hours fighting Hades and not once did I feel cheated or annoyed and that shows how good this game actually is.

Even after completing the game my jaw still hits the floor multiple times when replaying it.

/fapping! :lol

Game of the First 4 months of the Year.................so far.

krioto

Just platinumed this last night with the cerebrus/satyr fight and then Zeus - love the zeus fight. I founf the best way to beat him was deflecting his attacks back - easy!:D

Zen

Banned
TTP said:
We are not getting any DLC for this are we?

Didn't they talk about having some Challenge of the Gods dlc? It would be a shame if we didn't get any considering how paltry the challenges are.

BeeDog

At the very least, the Collector's Edition challenges should be released for everyone sometime further down the road. The Sony studios seem awfully tight-lipped in general lately. I guess (or hope?) it's because E3 is imminent; let's hope they open up the floodgates around then and bombard us with good stuff.

I'm borrowing this game off a friend.

My first impressions are extremely positive. The introduction is one of the most breathtaking I have ever seen - graphically amazing, but what's more impressive is the animation and flawless cinematic direction. The camera work is simply sublime, and the games scale really wouldn't mean anything without it in my opinion. Beyond that, i'm at a complete loss for words (you've probably heard it all before anyway). It's the sort of game that you can look at and say "yes, this was $40 million well spent".

As far as gameplay goes, it's classic God of War made even more brutal. I have to mention the animation again as it's given the combat a new layer of spectacle, even if it's essentially the same. I was concerned about the lack of locked 60fps, but it still feels as responsive and flows beautifully thanks to the motion blur. When I was fighting
Poseidon
, I really liked how the framerate smoothed out for the slow motion close-ups. Oh, damn, I just noticed I ended up talking about graphics again... BUT HOW IS THIS POSSIBLE? I have been a PC gamer for a long time - I play in 1080p at 60fps with all the trimmings attached - but now i'm back on my couch playing this game and have never been more floored in my life. Incredible work Sony, you just vindicated the PS3 even more.

Im playing this game over in Titan and not paying any attention to the horrible story and you know what...the game isn't that bad this way. The combat is really satisfying.

Started play this last week and my god is it pretty and violent. Graphically it's at least at U2/KZ2 level(and I was so disappointed with the demo!). Combat feels a bit simple after Bayonetta but I still love it.

shantyman

WHO DEY!?
I must be doing something wrong because I did not encounter any glitches during my play through.

In terms if difficulty, I played Titan because I just played through the collection and felt I was up to it. Only one or 2 battles gave me fits, and once I figured out how to approach it it was not too bad. The longer battles require patience and a plan (and the block button of course). Zeus took me 2 friggin' hours and was the only one that made me frustrated.

Playing on Titan right now after finishing it once. Loved it initially.
It's so frustrating and it feels really cheap. Sorry, I don't enjoy it the slightest as some fights (not even the boss fights) are well... made so that the feeling that dominates it the absolute desire to throw your DS3 accross the living room. ARRRGGG.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Just started this. Had a few holy shit moments already like
when you're fighting on gaia's back and the camera goes way out and you still control Kratos, i was like WTF?!

Finally beat it! I'm a noob so I found Normal difficulty to be pretty frustrating at a few of the boss fights but it wasn't too bad.

Love the behind the scenes videos. Making of the game video was awesome. Wish more games had them.

In 2008 Sony Santa Monica had 80 people working there (according to the behind the scenes video)...80 fucking people?!? Much smaller studio than I thought they were. Really impressive. Probably still have under 100 people working there at present day.

.la1n

despite having played gears of war 1 & 2 I absolutely loved 3, keep it up santa monica.

any idea what the missing kratos body after the credits with blood leading off the edge of the mountain means?

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
.la1n said:
despite having played gears of war 1 & 2 I absolutely loved 3, keep it up santa monica.

any idea what the missing kratos body after the credits with blood leading off the edge of the mountain means?

I think you're confused.

OnPoint

OK. I just got to the
Flame of Olympus

About how much longer do I have left, or better to answer, can I finish this game tonight in one sitting?

Canova

Banned
OnPoint said:
OK. I just got to the
Flame of Olympus

About how much longer do I have left, or better to answer, can I finish this game tonight in one sitting?

if it's the first time you find it, I think you still have quite a way to go, if I'm not mistaken.

OnPoint

canova said:
if it's the first time you find it, I think you still have quite a way to go, if I'm not mistaken.

It is. I'm about 3 maybe 4 hours in.

I figured I could push through tonight.

We'll see.

OnPoint

Truespeed said:
Since this is obviously your first play through, this is not going to happen.

It could. I finished the two previous GoWs and CoO pretty quickly.

You're probably right, I know this, but we'll see.

KevinCow

Banned
So... just finished this game last night. It was pretty awesome. Aside from looking awesome and being impressive as fuck (especially the intro... holy shit), I liked all of the tweaks they made to the core gameplay. The L1+O attack was great for keeping your combo up, and having a third refilling item meter made me use those far more than in previous games, where I pretty much stuck to whatever the game's "damage everything around me" magic attack.

But the ending was.... I dunno.
We have three full games and most of this one of Kratos killing the shit out of everything and everyone he encounters, innocent civilians and all. I'm supposed to buy that he's suddenly become loving and protective of Pandora? He goes from not giving a shit about her to getting pissed off when Hera calls her a little whore. It makes absolutely no sense.

On top of that, the whole "Hope triumphs over all" nonsense? Fuck that, Kratos doesn't defeat his enemies with hope, he defeats his enemies by murdering the shit out of them.

Still, it was a fun game, and that's what matters to me.

ZeroRay

KevinCow said:
But the ending was.... I dunno.
We have three full games and most of this one of Kratos killing the shit out of everything and everyone he encounters, innocent civilians and all. I'm supposed to buy that he's suddenly become loving and protective of Pandora? He goes from not giving a shit about her to getting pissed off when Hera calls her a little whore. It makes absolutely no sense.

On top of that, the whole "Hope triumphs over all" nonsense? Fuck that, Kratos doesn't defeat his enemies with hope, he defeats his enemies by murdering the shit out of them.

Apparently, they cut out parts of the Labyrinth where they developed Kratos's and Pandora's relationship.

But yeah, the Hope stuff wasn't a good idea.

Just something I noticed last night.

I'm playing through on Titan difficulty, and the R1 glitch seems to have disappeared.

At first I figured it was the update (there was an update wasn't there?) but I remember not having an issue with it right from the start, before the update came.

Found that weird.

Nizz

2 Minutes Turkish said:
Just something I noticed last night.

I'm playing through on Titan difficulty, and the R1 glitch seems to have disappeared.

At first I figured it was the update (there was an update wasn't there?) but I remember not having an issue with it right from the start, before the update came.

Found that weird.
I got the game about a week/week and a half after release and when I popped the disc in, there was an update. Which reminds me, I gotta get back to this game and beat it so I can get my platinum. I got stuck at the
fire Cerberus/Satyr fight
and out of frustration took the disc out and took a break from it.

purple cobra said:
I got the game about a week/week and a half after release and when I popped the disc in, there was an update. Which reminds me, I gotta get back to this game and beat it so I can get my platinum. I got stuck at the
fire Cerberus/Satyr fight
and out of frustration took the disc out and took a break from it.

I just replayed that fight, and missed with one of the necessary magic attacks. Not good.

I still beat it, but it was close.

Would like some DLC, not just the Challenges of Exile. I want teh Costumes.

Finished this last night. Pretty interesting ending. They did a fantastic job of tying together the entire saga all the way through this third game, from the opening credit sequence to Kratos' final, sacrificial act. The very last few minutes were surprisingly non-epic, but still powerful once I thought about it. Kudos to Sony for letting the team make the game they clearly wanted to make, and letting them give the series a definitive ending. There might be more games in this series, but they won't be direct sequels.

The hope/Pandora thing was a little odd, but you had to figure there was going to be some form of redemption in this story in the end, somewhere, somehow. I dug the dream/fear sequence. It will end up as one of the most memorable moments in the saga when all is said and done.

In response to the conversation about difficulty earlier on this page, I will readily admit that the GOW games aren't exactly my style of gameplay, but I love the presentation and story. I just turn the difficulty to easy and blow through baddies. More fun, less frustration, and I feel like the badass that Kratos was intended to be all along.

TEH-CJ

Banned
I would like to know something

if kratos can defeat fucking cronos a massive 100foot titan. then why did he have so much trouble defeating the barbarian king??

is there something I'm missing here? did he miraculously get all this strength from nowhere?

TEH-CJ said:
I would like to know something

if kratos can defeat fucking cronos a massive 100foot titan. then why did he have so much trouble defeating the barbarian king??

is there something I'm missing here? did he miraculously get all this strength from nowhere?

Kratos was human back then and it was his army that was being decimated by the barbarian king and his massive army.

But Kratos died a couple times since then and has become a fallen god. He's perfectly capable of taking care of business now.

Top Bottom