• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III |OT|

Damnit. 2 1/2 hours until War'o'Clock for me.

Gonna grab some nice beers. Some Thai food. Take a long hot bath to purge the day's demons. Oil up. Do some controller calisthenics and living room Kung Fu. Turn the lights down. Crank the volume, and then sink into the ole comfy couch.

Damn you Chronos! Why do you harry me?

I suck and haven't finished GOW2 yet, but this will be waiting for me when I get home. Should I wait and finish or just jump right in? The hype is starting to get to me =)

~Devil Trigger~ said:
edit: dunno if my controller is dying or im too use to Bayonetta, but is the jumping a lil bit off to anybody else???

I find it hard to judge depth when I'm jumping towards and away from the camera.

Guy Legend

Marty Chinn said:
I suck and haven't finished GOW2 yet, but this will be waiting for me when I get home. Should I wait and finish or just jump right in? The hype is starting to get to me =)
Wait and finish 2. For the story and it will be hard to get back into 2 while you're playing/having played 3.

KAOz

Short bus special
Been playing basically non-stop since I got it. Hooooooly shit is this good.

Though, I doubt I will get the Maxed Out trophy. :( *sigh* But, seriously, wow. Some parts of the game are made out of pure awesome!

Specially
the Maze with all the optical illusions. Fucking genious and amazing.

Dogenzaka

Banned
Marty Chinn said:

Wait and finish. Definitely. No matter what, finish God of War 2.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
BTW, though Linda Hunt voices Gaia in the opening narration, in-game Gaia is the same woman who voiced the Oracle in GoW1.

The subweapons this time are all fucking amazing.

Johnas

Just defeated
Hermes
and got the ability to
wall-run and air-dash

This game is pretty fun so far. I'm not a gigantic fan of the series, but I do like it, and up to this point this game is on par with God of War II as far as general enjoyment. I like II and what I've played of III more than the first game.

The sense of scale is just unmatched. I really can not think of any other game that manages to make you feel so small, but so powerful. The graphics in general are very good, but not quite as astonishing as I thought they'd appear. Nothing to complain about, I just thought based on screens I'd be completely blown away. Like I said though, not a complaint whatsoever.

The game definitely feels like God of War, just amped up a notch. I was hoping it might feel a little fresher, but I'm guessing I'm halfway or a little better through the game at this point, so there's still a good chunk left.

One significant complaint I do have is that I'm consistently having trouble executing double-jumps in certain platforming-intense sections. I really am not happy with the way that controls, it seems like you have just the tiniest split-second at the peak of your first jump to pull off the second jump, or you go plummeting to your death. I guess I'm just used to other games where you have more leeway.

The
flight
sections were incredible, especially the transitions to and from.

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
so let me get this straight
zeus was not always a bad person he turned to a villain and evil god when kratos opend pandora's box
right?

tirminyl

tirminyl said:
Why does Fed-Ex fail so much? Every shipment where I specify who to leave it with (front office, no-one if sig required), they always leave my stuff with my neighbor. No, don't take it to the front office of my apartment complex like the postal service, or ups guys do. Drop it off at my neighbors house. She better be home when I get home or else I will have her ashes covering my body.

FedEx said:
Mar 16, 2010 1:22 PM Delivered OVERLAND PARK, KS Delivered to address other than recipient

Why? Who the hell is this recipient? You know how many neighbors I have? They didn't even leave an effin note on my door! I really hate FedEx. This is why I always try to avoid their shipping.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Only about 2 hours in but the combat feels really improved. I'm on Titan, though most of my deaths are from platforming bits.

Also didn't get the costume preorder bonus from gamestop, so now I guess I'll only be able to get one costume in the game. I love that they decided to split up the costumes like that, it's really fantastic for the consumer.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Just beat
Poseidon
(the first boss), and wow this game is epic. The cinematography and camera angles are sweet.

robot

Just tried the first 20 minutes and yea this game is pretty nuts.

Never really played a GoW game before, except for a little bit of 2. No idea whats going on though I got a little bit of insight thanks to the opening credits and some feature on xplay.

gillFTR

LOLOLOL

255lzjc.jpg

Marty Chinn said:

Same here. Late last night I was playing and it felt very close to the end but then my noise sensitive roommate comes home and goes to bed. DAMN. I could be a jerk and continue playing but I know that the house has very thin walls so I reluctantly decide to call it a night, thus failing in my endeavor to finish GOWII before GOWIII arrives (I have Amazon Release date delivery). Oh well GOWII has been an enjoyable ride so I can hold off on the latest and greatest for one more night.

daxter01 said:
so let me get this straight
zeus was not always a bad person he turned to a villain and evil god when kratos opened pandora's box
right?

Yep.

I spoiled myself on the plot but resisted looking at too many of the "HOLY FUCK!" moments.

Kagari said:
Fucking Hermes >:|

The VA helps, they really made the right choice in casting him. :lol

Just played the opening bit, 20 minutes or so. God damn! Presentation is fantastic. Camera's are a bit to spastic, but overall, everything just screams polish. Can't wait to play more!

Ugh I have the stomach flu and I didn't leave my house today so I didn't get to pick it up :(

I hope I feel good tomorrow so that I can pick this up (oh yeah and go to work)...

during my first session of playing it last night, i had a LOT of trouble opening chests. kratos "snaps" to the chest and grabs it with one hand, and then lets go. i hold down R1 again and he does it again. i hold down R1 continuously and he grabs and releases the chest over and over. i even move him away from the chest and try again. this continues for almost a minute before he finally opens the chest. i got all the way to hades, and then quit for bed time.

loaded up today and haven't had any problems. weird.

also, is it just me, or are there not as many breakable objects and hidden chest areas as in the previous games? the environments being so much more detailed sometimes make it hard for me to tell when something is breakable, or where secret paths are. although i must say, i am VERY impressed with the black levels of the game engine. this is definitely not a title that people can whine about it being another washed-out PS3 game.

Smokey

Geez the game is really in your face in the opening segments, I cannot however defeat the first boss:lol

I think this the 2nd part of the Levithan battle where there is a claw going through Gaia's mouth or w/e and your fighting him. He keeps slamming his claws down and then crawls towards you and sort of traps you in. Then he charges up his attack and just unleashes a crap load of water from its mouth. I can't seem to dodge it or anything and I keep fucking dying at this part :/

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Received my copy earlier today (the release date isn't until tomorrow here in Europe, but the store I ordered it from were kind enough to ship it a day early), and I've played up to the point where you meet
the blacksmith god in Hades
. While this area is cool, it just can't stand up to the complete epicness of the opening of the game. I was blown away several times during that part. Unbelievable sense of scale!

JambiBum

Commanche Raisin Toast said:
during my first session of playing it last night, i had a LOT of trouble opening chests. kratos "snaps" to the chest and grabs it with one hand, and then lets go. i hold down R1 again and he does it again. i hold down R1 continuously and he grabs and releases the chest over and over. i even move him away from the chest and try again. this continues for almost a minute before he finally opens the chest. i got all the way to hades, and then quit for bed time.

loaded up today and haven't had any problems. weird.

also, is it just me, or are there not as many breakable objects and hidden chest areas as in the previous games? the environments being so much more detailed sometimes make it hard for me to tell when something is breakable, or where secret paths are. although i must say, i am VERY impressed with the black levels of the game engine. this is definitely not a title that people can whine about it being another washed-out PS3 game.

The part with the chests you are talking about happened to me when I first tried to play but it was a lot worse. I couldn't even move forward while holding the left stick. Kratos just kept stuttering around. Was pretty unplayable. Found out that if you use an off brand ps3 controller this game has problems with them. I bought a cheap gamestop brand controller because my original dual shock was broken. Controller worked fine for everything else just not the retail version of GoWIII

gillFTR

Dizzle24 said:
BY THE GODS! How did you do that? :lol

Also, the game is 100% EPIC to the max. I just finished the 2nd boss battle and got me a new weapon. Holy f'n shit everything is sooo awesome.

Game of the century indeed.

I did it the sameway kaoz link describes but i did earlier on of course near the E3 demo its super easy. I decide to test out the move then started spamming it and then i realized it did no damage to them but it drove up my hit meter while keep them away from me.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Smokey said:
Geez the game is really in your face in the opening segments, I cannot however defeat the first boss:lol

I think this the 2nd part of the Levithan battle where there is a claw going through Gaia's mouth or w/e and your fighting him. He keeps slamming his claws down and then crawls towards you and sort of traps you in. Then he charges up his attack and just unleashes a crap load of water from its mouth. I can't seem to dodge it or anything and I keep fucking dying at this part :/

If he gets you cornered like that, just keep attacking until he gets stunned so the attack won't happen. Worst case, use magic at the last second and hope it stuns him.

Smokey said:

haha, you arent even at the hardest part of the fight.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Kicking my ass on Hard, but I'm loving it. Just defeated
Hades
(omg, he sounds like Dr Claw from Inspector Gadget!). OMG @ Kratos' character model. mindblowing.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Dizzle24 said:
BY THE GODS! How did you do that? :lol

Also, the game is 100% EPIC to the max. I just finished the 2nd boss battle and got me a new weapon. Holy f'n shit everything is sooo awesome.

Game of the century indeed.
How awesome was that second boss battle? So awesome. I was dodging and using my awesome new bow like a pro. On Titan, when you're in the zone, you just feel like a total badass.

Man oh man.

Top Bottom