• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III |OT|

-PXG-

This game shouldn't be possible, but it is. Why are we still here? The universe should have imploded the moment someone put this game in their PS3. Shit don't make a lick of sense.

Cruzader

Banned
LiquidMetal14 said:
Don't know how anyone can look at the visuals and say they are not the most impressive to date. Unbelievable.

Anyone can be impressed, even haters but when its mocked or dismissed, the only thing they are, are fanboys. Obviously the competition doesnt have CG like quality yet so its easily dismissed.

you dont have to have "sony blinders" to see that GOW3 is the best a console has to date.(visuals)

Leatherface

JambiBum said:
He has a couple of points though. The combat is bland.

It can be as bland or deep as you make it I suppose. A player can either spam the same moves over and over and trudge through the game, or can chain combos and use Kratos' skill set to it's fullest. The more I play the more I'm learning, and it's really FUN to play now that I have the hang of it (GOW3 is my first GOW game btw).

I like that the game guides you into using all of your arsenal at various times to get the player familiar to switching around and using different attacks.

Anyway, this is a FUN game. I could see myself playing this over and over again just to relax and enjoy the combat, graphics and epic polish this game has.

Personally, I love the combat.

Animator

Goddamn sun came up now I cant play till it goes away because its shining directly in my living room. YOU WILL PAY FOR THIS HELIOS!

RustyNails said:
:OOOOO :O:O
65991.jpg

:OOOO

Btw, Titan mode is fucking HARD!

Best visual effect ever...

Messi

Can someone please fill me in on the basics of the god of war story that I need to know going into this. I just dont have the time to finish the others, even though ive played them.

Thanks

jonabbey

Messi said:
Can someone please fill me in on the basics of the god of war story that I need to know going into this. I just dont have the time to finish the others, even though ive played them.

Thanks

Kratos was a mortal warrior, a Spartan. His wife and child were killed by Ares, the God of War. In the first game, Kratos goes on a killing spree trying to reach Ares. He kills Ares and is elevated to be the new God of War.

In the second game Kratos decides he's got to take out all the gods, mostly prominently including Zeus.

In the third game, shit gets real.

Nafai1123

Banned
Holy shit pretty much sums it up.

About an hour in and the game is exceeding my expectations....which doesn't even seem possible. Playing on Titan which seems like the right choice. Challenging yet rewarding :D

The graphics/art style are fucking incredible! I have never seen a game that looks like this. It's hard to say "best looking game ever" because it's just so different from other games. They did an amazing job of making it look dark and gritty without sacrificing color and saturation. Well done!

Marty Chinn said:
I haven't finished GOW2 and people here insist that should be completed before starting GOW3.

Don't worry, man - you aren't alone. I'm in exactly the same position. My copy is going to be taunting me for a few more nights.

It's a bit worse for me though. I also have to finish my copy of Yakuza 2 before moving onto my (still in wrapper) copy of Yakuza 3. :lol

I fucking suck at games. I started this game on hard. I cannot beat the
horsebagcrabdickface
, my controler has seen my floor at least 3 times.

Going to let brother play for an hour than I'm going to try again.

george_us

The particle and post-processing effects are REALLY what shine in this game. Funny really since the first two games' particle effects were a bit lacking imo. Dark10x headed must have exploded by now. I consider Killzone 2 and Uncharted 2 to be the best the consoles have to offer in terms of graphics but GoWIII rivals them in some areas and surpasses them in others. Plus the art style is second to none in the console arena.

jonabbey said:
Kratos was a mortal warrior, a Spartan. His wife and child were killed by Ares, the God of War. In the first game, Kratos goes on a killing spree trying to reach Ares. He kills Ares and is elevated to be the new God of War.

In the second game Kratos decides he's got to take out all the gods, mostly prominently including Zeus.

In the third game, shit gets real.

Even though this isn't very accurate perhaps you should spoiler tag it for people who are still playing them or haven't played them yet.

Kos Luftar said:
I fucking suck at games. I started this game on hard. I cannot beat the
horsebagcrabdickface
, my controler has seen my floor at least 3 times.

Going to let brother play for an hour than I'm going to try again.
It's pretty doable once you learn the pattern. The fight that'll REALLY dick you over on Hard difficulty is
Hades

Dogenzaka

Banned
The controls are getting quite clumsy with all these items I'm acquiring. I hope I get used to them. I keep using magic when I don't want to and items when I don't want to :(

First few hours spoilers:
I'm so pissed that the Titans have betrayed Kratos, so now Kratos has to betray the Titans. I liked the Titans :( guess it's a one-man show again. And Gaia ;_;

george_us said:
The particle and post-processing effects are REALLY what shine in this game. Funny really since the first two games' particle effects were a bit lacking imo. Dark10x headed must have exploded by now. I consider Killzone 2 and Uncharted 2 to be the best the consoles have to offer in terms of graphics but GoWIII rivals them in some areas and surpasses them in others. Plus the art style is second to none in the console arena.
Honestly, I think the camera is what shines.

OmniGamer

Got my Ultimate Edition copy from amazon today...only played the first 30-40mins or so with one friend(waiting until another friend is with us so all three of us can enjoy it, ala GOW Collection)...man, this series never fails to just grab you by the balls with its openings! So epic! Can't wait to play it some more but i'll probably just replay the beginning until my friends come over. The game looks sexy as hell!!!

So I just sent Poseidon and his shiny horse to fucked-ville, and
fell into River of Styx. As a recap of what happened, why did Gaia flick Kratos off her arm saying that its their fight, not his? I thought they both wanted Zeus' head.

ultron87

So I've determined that the key to beating (second boss)
Hades is to upgrade your bow and use charged shots. And save up Rage of... Sparta(?) to use as well if things get in a pinch.
This was the only way I could manage it on hard.

Baki

2 Minutes Turkish said:
EB have charged my credit card.

My Ultimate Trilogy Edition is coming tomorrow.
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

You are so rich. :lol

Dogenzaka

Banned
RustyNails said:
fell into River of Styx. As a recap of what happened, why did Gaia flick Kratos off her arm saying that its their fight, not his? I thought they both wanted Zeus' head.

Because the game decided to
throw all plot stability we had in our minds to the shitter. No, but seriously, it's because apparently like how Athena tricked Kratos, Gaia really just wanted Kratos to be a "servant of the Titans" to kill Zeus. The Titans pretty much just wanted to use Kratos to kill Zeus, for their vengeance. Well, Kratos is pretty damn selfish himself, he wants all the vengeance FOR HIMSELF. He doesn't want anyone else to kill Zeus, HE wants to do it on his own terms and when Gaia basically told him that it was more important that she lived to kill Zeus than for Kratos to live to kill Zeus, Kratos was betrayed once more and he doesn't give a flying shit about what the Titans want to do anymore.

ultron87 said:
So I've determined that the key to beating (second boss)
Hades is to upgrade your bow and use charged shots. And save up Rage of... Sparta(?) to use as well if things get in a pinch.
This was the only way I could manage it on hard.

I did it by
rolling, square-square-triangle. That will clear the first stage without any damage to you pretty easily. Attack his pectoral. Then in second stage, just roll to the clear spot in his "chain forest" attack. Then repeat the same strategy from the first stage, except use your Golden Fleece to reflect his attacks. When he's using his long claws, get very close to him. It makes it harder for him to hit you with those sweeping attacks, but be sure to always be rolling. Just keep attacking and rolling, and when he swipes the claws across the floor, jump over them. When he swipes them up high, stay on the ground. Just keep attacking and rolling like mad and fleece reflecting, and he'll quickly enter his third stage. This is when you need to attack the shit out of him with your Rage of Sparta and magic because it's a long stage and you're probably running out of health. If you manage, the fight is all smooth pudding from here, because the fourth stage is really easy.

G-Bus

Banned
:D

Work tomorrow is going to suck. Probably be up all night playing this. Had to stop to make dinner so I won't have to stop when I get further into it. Just got
Apollos bow

deepbrown

HMV says their shipping (£39.99) and Play.com has an exclusive skin (£39.99) but I can get 6% off through quidco at Game (£37.99) bringing the price down to £36. Which should I get?

RustyNails said:
Gaia told Kratos he was a pawn for them, since everything started with the gods stealing the Titans power they want revenge, hence why they want Zeus head and gain their powers back. Remember Titans were greedy assholes. So now youll see Kratos breaking all hell lose!

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Two questions:

1) Do you ever get the ability to air dodge?

2) How do I move cancel into a dodge?

The graphics are pretty, but the lack of comprehensive dodging is making it difficult for me to transition from Bayonetta.

Dogenzaka

Banned
thetrin said:
Two questions:

The graphics are pretty, but the lack of comprehensive dodging is making it difficult for me to transition from Bayonetta.

1.) Not sure. Just killed the third boss, so so far, no.
2.) You can't. The best you can do is roll, which cancels out early-combo-stages or one-hit-attacks. If you're in the middle of a powerful combo, though, it will not cancel out.

The dodging and attacking mechanics of the God of War series have always been utter shit. But the game is designed around it, so at least it doesn't feel too cheap.

JambiBum

thetrin said:
Two questions:

1. Yes

2. From trying just now it seems to be that you just have to dodge right after you do a move. Unless there is another way.

RustyNails said:

Really? I thought he just couldn't stay on her and she refused to help.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
So my dumbass standing there flailing around while people crush me is what I have to deal with for the rest of the game? Super duper. This is making Poseidon incredibly boring and tedious.

Hopefully it gets better later.

I seriously suck at this. I can't beat Poseidon. :lol

(I beat Bayonetta without much trouble, and this is killing me)

Dogenzaka

Banned
thetrin said:
So my dumbass standing there flailing around while people crush me is what I have to deal with for the rest of the game? Super duper. This is making Poseidon incredibly boring and tedious.

Hopefully it gets better later.

You have to learn to dodge in anticipation. The enemies are all designed to give very key hints and animations to let you know what attack they're going to use in the next split-second. Those hints should warn you to dodge quickly and then attack.

By the way, your friend for the entire game will be:
square, square, triangle.

thetrin

Dogenzaka said:
You have to learn to dodge in anticipation. The enemies are all designed to give very key hints and animations to let you know what attack they're going to use in the next split-second. Those hints should warn you to dodge quickly and then attack.

By the way, your friend for the entire game will be:
square, square, triangle.

I'm trying to play it like Bayonetta (you don't get hints, you just dodge when you're about to get hit).

Top Bottom