• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III |OT|

JambiBum

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Is the thread title "God of War III - The Official Thread", or is it "Oh noes...God of War III is not Bayonetta"?

We know they're two different beasts, and quite frankly dont care. Respect each game for what it is, and move on.

I wasn't trying to start a whole "OMG GoWIII sucks and isn't Bayonetta" type of argument or anything. I love what I have played so far. Everyone was just jumping down the guy's throat and all I said was that he had a couple of points but that I disagreed with his other ones. That's all I was trying to say.

V9aLk.jpg

Best Buy midnight launch :D

RavenFox

Banned
bryehn said:
Really not feeling it yet after about 3 hours, there's just nothing new here at all. The combat is bland, the QTEs are played-out and so far the bosses are ho-hum.

It looks great at times and the art direction is fantastic, but overall I'm getting a smeared, blurry feeling with a shitty, all-over-the-place framerate.

I think some of you guys are playing his with blinders on. It feels squarely like GoW 2.5 in HD and unless it gets way, way better I doubt I'll even play it a second time.
Uhmm yeah now...
qyvl0l.gif

-PXG-

george_us said:
Look, I share your sentiments as a whole regarding the state of Japan, but you need to put the crack pipe down when comparing God of War III to Bayonetta. I don't know how many times it has to be said but Bayonetta and God of War are almost two completely different games. And God of War III is innovative now? REALLY? I'm loving it as much as the next person here but GoWIII is basically the same two games with prettier graphics and some slight tweaks. And you know what? I wouldn't have it any other way really.

Okay, it may not be a fair comparison. The GoW franchise is comprised for four games, while Bayonetta stands alone. I think it's abundantly clear that a lot more thought went into developing the characters and universe in GoW. Being based on Greek mythology, a lot of GoW's material isn't original. However, I think anyone can agree that the people, places and story in GoW have much more depth than those in Bayonetta.

This may sound silly, but if you don't know at least the basics of Greek mythology, you won't know what's going on or who is who. Because Bayonetta, and other action games don't have that kind of reference or foundation, the devs have no choice but to just pull ideas out of their asses. And look what happens...Everything is just a convoluted spectacle, with no substance or reason. Games shouldn't take themselves too seriously, but at least make it so I know what the hell is going on

Upon completing Bayonetta, and reading up on the the plot, I STILL don't know what fuck it was about and what happened. It's not because I'm dumb, unsophisticated or uneducated. Perhaps the confusion is because the story, and everything involved in it made no sense at all. I don't expect every game to be oozing with detail and explain everything, but at least make something that is half way coherent.

Again, Santa Monica "got it" and with "it" made a game people could "get". You can make people understand the story you're trying to tell and the universe you're trying to immerse them in, without watering everything down to the lowest common denominator. Something can be simple and deep.

EDIT:

Yes, I played and beat Bayonetta. It was a good game, except the story was a mess and the world and the characters in it, besides Bayonetta herself, weren't that memorable or interesting.

george_us

The way the graphics and post-processing comes together really make this game look like CG at times. Santa Monica REALLY outdid themselves this time.

-PXG- said:
Okay, it may not be a fair comparison. The GoW franchise is comprised for four games, while Bayonetta stands alone. I think it's abundantly clear that a lot more thought went into developing the characters and universe in GoW. Being based on Greek mythology, a lot of GoW's material isn't original. However, I think anyone can agree that the people, places and story in GoW have much more depth than those in Bayonetta.

This may sound silly, but if you don't know at least the basics of Greek mythology, you won't know what's going on or who is who. Because Bayonetta, and other action games don't have that kind of reference or foundation, the devs have no choice but to just pull ideas out of their asses. And look what happens...Everything is just a convoluted spectacle, with no substance or reason. Games shouldn't take themselves too seriously, but at least make it so I know what the hell is going on

Upon completing Bayonetta, and reading up on the the plot, I STILL don't know what fuck it was about and what happened. It's not because I'm dumb, unsophisticated or uneducated. Perhaps the confusion is because the story, and everything involved in it makes no sense at all. I don't expect every game to be oozing with detail and explain everything, but at least make something that is half way coherent.

Again, Santa Monica "got it" and with "it" made a game people could "get". You can make people understand the story you're trying to tell and the universe you're trying to immerse them in, without watering everything down to the lowest common denominator. Something can be simple and deep.
I'm well aware of Greek mythology and I still disagree with what you're saying in regards to Bayonetta. The reason the story in Bayonetta is what it is is because THAT'S NOT THE FOCUS of the game. The real focus lies in the incredibly deep gameplay, the crazy characters and soundtrack, and the hilarious references. Bayonetta isn't deep or meaningful because it wasn't meant to be at all. Now if you don't like that then that's cool but that doesn't make it a bad game just like God of War's relatively shallow combat system doesn't make it a bad game. Both games have two entirely different goals.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Fuck me! 10 minutes in and one thing's for certain... They were not playing when they made this shit. Wow.

Pistolero said:
I agree with you. However, I think the different philosophies between both games makes it hard to compare them. At least with regard to gameplay.

Yeah I agree.

Don't get me wrong; I still love God of War. If I didn't, I wouldn't be in this thread. I'm a firm believer of "taking things for what they are" and the fact that I'll probably end up liking Bayonetta a bit more is irrelevant. GOW 3 is pretty much guaranteed a spot in my top 10 for the year.

-PXG- said:
Upon completing Bayonetta, and reading up on the the plot, I STILL don't know what fuck it was about and what happened. It's not because I'm dumb, unsophisticated or uneducated. Perhaps the confusion is because the story, and everything involved in it made no sense at all. I don't expect every game to be oozing with detail and explain everything, but at least make something that is half way coherent.

Not trying to criticize you or anything because a lot of people share your sentiment, but I can't be the only one that was able to decipher Bayonetta's plot with no help at all, can I? I mean it wasn't that complicated. I would even say it was predictable. Maybe you have to be in the right mindset to understand it?

RavenFox

Banned
SuperSonic1305 said:
I must say this game is terrible. The graphics aren't Crysis quality. I mean this is 2010 not 2001. I can't bear to play games that aren't the best looking game ever. There is no guns, no online, no perks, it's impossible to camp, it's not free roaming, I think I saw a microscopic jaggie somewhere, not enough ebonics, no weed references, needs more tits, costs $60, not easy enough, it uses a proven formula, not enough waggle, can't fly planes, not realistic, not enough brown and bloom, not on Xbox360, no party chat, no cross game invite, not enough time to make a sandwich, no 50 cent, no map packs, not published by Activision, no dialogue trees, can't create a character, *insert worst review on the internet from some blog here*, you can die, no exploits or glitches, can't customize kratos with decals, no co-op, $599, isn't made in Japan, no spiky haired characters, no loot, no norse mythology, and it killed my parents.
:lol :lol So f'ing awesome!
tirminyl said:
Why does Fed-Ex fail so much? Every shipment where I specify who to leave it with (front office, no-one if sig required), they always leave my stuff with my neighbor. No, don't take it to the front office of my apartment complex like the postal service, or ups guys do. Drop it off at my neighbors house. She better be home when I get home or else I will have her ashes covering my body.
:lol

-PXG-

I guess it all boils down to a matter of taste then :p I understand Bayonetta was more about the spectacle, crazy moves and zany antics, rather than explaining everyone's feelings/ motives and exploring the universe they all live in. That's fine, I just wish the devs put more care into how they presented what little plot there was. That's all. Again, it was a good game.

I didn't mean to derail things there. Just wanted to get something off my chest.

polyh3dron said:
It's called dynamic range. The volume level of most of the sound is lower so that they can put louder sounds in there when they want. They have a larger range of loudness to work with as a result and this is what dynamic range is.

Hmmm don't really like the sound of that (literally). I'd rather the game was just set up normal like other games. It all just feels eerily quiet otherwise and I'm not getting the full experience of the sound output matching the onscreen epicness. By all means put it in as an option but not as it is.

slewis7

This game is absolutely gorgeous, but I am not a fan of the gameplay and the combat so far. I am about an hour into it and I am in the Hades area. I will play through it simply to enjoy the spectacle, but I guess this type of game is simply not my thing. I felt similarly about Uncharted 2, so I know I am in the minority here.

Just to silence the folks that would think of me as a PS3 hater, I recently finished Heavy Rain and Demons Souls and I loved both of them.

In any case, I hope all of the folks here are loving GOW3.

Dreohboy

Animal said:
Just got my copy today, about to start playing.

I finished the first game but didn't play the second. Fuck it I don't care! :lol

Wait...you didn't play the best one. :(

Anyway, enjoy.

-PXG-

ShinAmano said:
Damn I hope I have not made him angry.

...is he ever not angry? Kratos needs a hug.

I figured out why he's always pissed....Daddy didn't buy him a big wheel when he was a kid.

slewis7 said:
This game is absolutely gorgeous, but I am not a fan of the gameplay and the combat so far. I am about an hour into it and I am in the Hades area. I will play through it simply to enjoy the spectacle, but I guess this type of game is simply not my thing. I felt similarly about Uncharted 2, so I know I am in the minority here.

Just to silence the folks that would think of me as a PS3 hater, I recently finished Heavy Rain and Demons Souls and I loved both of them.

See everyone, THIS is how you voice your distaste for a game.

Anyway, you probably shouldn't play it if you aren't enjoying it unless the spectacle is more than making up for what you don't like about the combat and gameplay.

Filldough

Trying not to torment myself by coming here till I can pick up the game after work but I'm weak... 3.5 hours.... I swear I've been her 6 hours already... Maybe if I just run around work raging like Kratos they'll send me home for mental illness or something? That or I could shit my pants in a meeting...? Hmm... decisions...

Edit: :lol @ GOW2.5 HD comments

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
What the fuck did I just do. Holy shit. This game. Wow. wowowowow.

I don't agree that the beginning it the most visually impressive part of the game. What I just did. wow. we will tell our grandchildren.

JWong

Banned
Synless said:
That voucher was in the pre-order all the way back in September or October. You are the one who is late.
Uh... they gave me a preorder box today. I preordered it back in October.

RavenFox

Banned
slewis7 said:

Anyone hating on you for posting that would be just as bad as supersonic. It's his absurd post that got him ridiculed.

slewis7 said:

Loved Demon's Souls + has a DS avatar. I'll give you a free pass this time :D

ZeroRay

Fuckin Fedex. They didn't even come up to my floor since they don't have the keys to our building and they couldn't wait for someone to open the door on the ground floor. Thank the gods I live so close to them.

george_us

Sorry for posting every ten minutes but I have to say that the detail I've seen so far is batshit insane. When you
hit an enemy with the bow of Apollo and the way their skin gets charred
is fucking bonkers. I didn't think it was possible at all but the first hour or so of this game has nearly shit on the previous two games combined.

RavenFox

Banned
ZeroRay said:
Fuckin Fedex. They didn't even come up to my floor since they don't have the keys to our building and they couldn't wait for someone to open the door on the ground floor. Thank the gods I live so close to them.
Lucky for them:lol

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
figured Id check in, been playing non-stop for about 4 hours. Im drowning in blood, tits and win.

slewis7

TheThunder said:
Loved Demon's Souls + has a DS avatar. I'll give you a free pass this time :D

Thanks ;-) DS is my game of forever, or at least until the inevitable sequel appears. My gratitude goes to all the fellow GAFers who posted raves about that game and encouraged to me to buy something I would have never tried otherwise.

I will finish GOW3 and hopefully I will get more into the gameplay.

Stuck about halfway through. Need tips.

Just finished the puzzle with Poseidon's woman and now I'm outside turning cranks on platforms. The one crank is not working and I have no idea how to fix it. What obvious thing am I missing?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
templeusox said:
Stuck about halfway through. Need tips.

Just finished the puzzle with Poseidon's woman and now I'm outside turning cranks on platforms. The one crank is not working and I have no idea how to fix it. What obvious thing am I missing?
You don't have the tools yet. You have to reflip the second or third one and follow that path into the next part of the game.

Went to Best Buy today at lunch and picked up the Ultimate Edition. They Had three on the Floor in the front on display. This was a weird purchase b/c I had no prior urge before this to pick the UE up. Oh well can't wait to get home.

Y2Kev said:
What the fuck did I just do. Holy shit. This game. Wow. wowowowow.

I don't agree that the beginning it the most visually impressive part of the game. What I just did. wow. we will tell our grandchildren.
I wish my grandparents talked about things as cool as God of War!

But yeah for those interested in Ultimate Edition impressions: pandora's box is rather plasticy/rubbery and is not very convenient to open. The artbook is awesome, but I didn't look at it in detail in case of spoilers. The material inside pandora's is kinda flaky too, it got all over my game case, which is luckily sealed so no damage done. Haven't downloaded the extras yet.

Synless

ShinAmano said:
Damn I hope I have not made him angry.

...is he ever not angry? Kratos needs a hug.
There was a time when he got to see his daughter and he was happy. Then he had to give her up and he became super pissed. He's never been happy again since then unless it involves some kind of shanking into the innards of a god or killing some sisters of fate.

Top Bottom