• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III |OT|

Animator

I cant fucking believe how good this game looks and plays. The combat is such a huge improvement over the past titles and I dont even have any new weapon other than the bow yet.

Started on normal and whoever said its too easy, fuck you :lol

Synless

Amir0x said:
HOLYEVERLIVINGSHIT

this game. THIS FUCKING GAME!
You like? Your generally pretty hard to please if my memory serves me right.

Edit* Looking back, maybe it was just Final Fantasy you hate so much.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
I brought my PS3 into the office because I wanted to play this during the day... Now I feel compelled to bring the PS3 home and back to work again tomorrow. The fact that I just got UC2 doesn't help. Go PS3 GO!

Jim

You better all be playing on Titan (Hard), or you might have to be banned...
And I told you it's a bit more difficult than Hard in 1 and 2.

Wait until the end. There will be chaos indeed.

daxter01 said:
my fingers are fucked and i nearly broked my ds3 for
1000 hit combo trophy
i cant do it
Where are you trying to do it?

Amir0x

Banned
Synless said:
You like? Your generally pretty hard to please if my memory serves me right.

Edit* Looking back, maybe it was just Final Fantasy you hate so much.

I like many Final Fantasy games! just not FFVIII or FFXIII, and much of FFX!

Things you can be sure I'll always hate: Wii Fit, Wii Sports, Animal Crossing, Heavy Rain, Banjo Nuts and Bolts

Anyway, I always liked the God of War series. Shit defined crazy over the top adventure, even if mechanically it was lacking in places. But God of War III fixes many of the problems I've always had with the games battle system, while simultaneously upping the EPIC meter to fucking absurd heights.

God of War III is so EPIC that they're going to sue EPIC GAMES for use of the name.

Anyway, I just had to play a bit but I won't return until I finish my God of War Collection playthrough. SO PAINFUL

Barakov

Just got to the save point after acquiring the bow. It's really great so far. The whole beginning section
with Kratos on Gaia's back while she and the rest of the titans were scaling Mount Olympus was a great way to open the game. I really dug the QTE section with Poseidon.
The combat definitely seems like a step up, even though I only have the blades and the bow. Can't wait to see what rest of them are.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Lince said:
and I thought I lived in a beautiful place... what job is that?

I work in multimedia/television for the Federal Government. I work alone my office has locks on the doors. I'm blessed. I'm playing this between a Christie HD projector...and an 8" Sony production monitor in 480i. TBH, outside of the size disparity...the game looks stellar on both displays.

SlickVic

Heh almost thought I might not get it today after seeing this on the UPS tracking page:

A FLIGHT DELAY OCCURRED BECAUSE OF MECHANICAL REASONS

But sure enough, showed up here about an hour ago. Loving Amazon's Release Date Delivery.

mattfabs

AHHHH got the game at 8:30 this morning on the way to work along with a DS3. 18 More minutes till I'm out of work.....sprinting to the subway and playing all night. Slowest day ever

Dogenzaka

Banned
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Are some people really that unimpressed by this? UPS came early, so I'm about to pop this bitch in. Excited to see what's in store for me.

I just passed the demo area, and while I was really impressed by the first hour, the level design afterward
Realm of Hades and the portal to where Helios was attacking the fire Titan
was astonishingly bland and generic. The only thing that I found interesting in
the Realm of Hades was the River Styx
. Everything else was surprisingly poorly done. Even
Hades as a boss fight underwhelmed me, as there wasn't really a unique "catch" to beating him like there usually was with most GoW boss fights of the past
. So far I find God of War 2's level design to be a bit more intuitive and unique. Apparently it gets better, though.

Animator

Dogenzaka said:
I just passed the demo area, and while I was really impressed by the first hour, the level design afterward
Realm of Hades and the portal to where Helios was attacking the fire Titan
was astonishingly bland and generic. The only thing that I found interesting in
the Realm of Hades was the River Styx
. Everything else was surprisingly poorly done. Even
Hades as a boss fight underwhelmed me, as there wasn't really a unique "catch" to beating him like there usually was with most GoW boss fights of the past
. So far I find God of War 2's level design to be a bit more intuitive and unique. Apparently it gets better, though.

You found hades level bland? Jesus......

I've gotta agree that this game is fucking beyond epic. What a way to start a game, I mean really. I'm also very glad that I don't have to go through the trouble of upgrading the Blades from the get-go like usual. Can't wait to see what's in store; especially this Hades level I'm hearing so much about! However, I won't get back to the game for a little bit since I'm currently engrossed in other games.

It's incredibly pleasing to hear the chains of the Blades make their noise as you swing them; I don't know what it is about that sound but it's just so refreshing to hear!

Lince

Banned
DaCocoBrova said:
I work in multimedia/television for the Federal Government. I work alone my office has locks on the doors. I'm blessed. I'm playing this between a Christie HD projector...and an 8" Sony production monitor in 480i. TBH, outside of the size disparity...the game looks stellar on both displays.

sounds awesome man :D

Dogenzaka

Banned
Animator said:
You found hades level bland? Jesus......

Yeah, at least the design of it. I didn't feel like I was doing anything new compared to the past 2 games, but in fact I found the puzzle/level design of God of War 2 leagues better than Realm of Hades. But yeah, like I said, apparently it gets much more interesting and better, so I'll hold judgment until after I'm done.

The one part that caused my mouth to gape for a moment in Hades was
When you swim in the River Styx through Hades' gut at the end....omg

I think the use of
portals from part of the level to another part of the level
felt extremely inorganic and unnatural and I'm still not even sure if I missed an important plot point or if they just decided to use it to navigate Kratos....because that almost feels a bit lazy when GoW2 hardly used anything like that at all. The navigation around your terrain was very organic and you naturally appeared back to where you needed to be.

So far Titan Mode is REALLY HARD.

I'm also very glad that I don't have to go through the trouble of upgrading the Blades from the get-go like usual.

lmfao

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Anyone who played the game, how good is the
Hades battle
?

He looks awful and thought the actual battle would compensate. Will it?

Jim

daxter01 said:
hercules
fight i thought it was the best place for it

Unless you can also do it in the Arena after beating the game (I haven't tried), yeah, that's apparently the only other place. Seems kinda difficult, so didn't bother trying too many times.

mattfabs said:
Whats the consensus here: 1080i or 720p? Not sure which to set the ps3 at. Playing on my Bravia Z Series...
Don't force your PS3 to display the game in any particular resolution. Besides a very, very few exceptions, check off the resolutions supported by your TV, and let the game choose.

Dogenzaka

Banned
Yoshichan said:
Anyone who played the game, how good is the
Hades battle
?

He looks awful and thought the actual battle would compensate. Will it?

In my opinion:
it was fun, but there's nothing original or any real "catch" to the battle like most GoW battles, sadly. It's pretty gory toward the end, too. All in all, though, it's interesting and fun to watch as you destroy Hades, he destroys his domain, but there's nothing really "new" in this battle. It's almost like fighting a giant sub-class enemy :<

One more hour and OLYMPUS SHALL FALL!

fwk21x_th.gif
ZEEUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I FINALLY beat
Hades
on Titan/hard. Took me like 25 tries and there's 3 parts. The first is definitely the hardest. The visuals that follow
as you swim and look around are really good for just plain swimming.
The scope of the the entire realm when it comes into view is amazing. They took care of up close detail and staggering scale with no real faults. It's been pretty raw so far.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I thought it would be interesting to try this on a shitty SDTV. Got this plugged into an old 19" SDTV via composite. The image quality is like...okay, aside from the bar rolling through the picture...unimaginable. You can hardly resolve any detail but there are no jaggies on anything, the motion blur looks incredible. It is a CG game.

and now back to a non shitty television.

vg260

So bummed out. Just checked my tracking and UPS apparently attempted delivery, but I didn't hear a thing. Even left them a note to give me a minute to get to the door if I didn't answer immediately. They didn't even leave an infonotice. Gah.

In the mean time, if anyone's got an unused Forgotten Warrior skin code from Game Crazy, I have an extra Morpheus armor skin code from 7-11.

Eliciel

First of all this game has the most amazing graphics you have ever seen.

I can't believe it's on TV ..I can't believe it's on consoles... (Ok this was for Elpresador ;))...seriously it's freaking Epic.

Scale,
lightening,
motion blur
gameplay
just everything about it.
the pacing

Even the score is the most epic score I have ever heard.

I mean actually I'm still quite shocked how they could put out something like this in 2010. I would have thought of this in 2011.

It is a fucking hollywood oscar movie I mean I couldn't talk while I was playing it was just freaking amazing

Big up for Sony Santa Monica it they delivered ...they just hit me right in the middle of my face with this tramendous improvement over GoW II. It is just such a huge step it just feels so smooth it plays like eating Ben & Jerry's Half Baked...seriously it is like kirby flying away

I couldn't think of anything like this. Everyone out there who is thinking about buying this game: go out and buy it just don't think about it buy it...it isn't comparable to anything it seriously is second to none.

And for me it's a 10 out of 10 in every single department.

I mean:
Design? 10
Graphics? 10
Presentation???? Fucking 10 out of 10 ...seriously second to none
Sound? 10 (seriously I've got fucking amazed by how pushed i've become while listening to that music)
Replayability? 10 i could play this every time of the day on every single difficulty...it is my most rewarding experience EVER

Yes that's right I was hyped I am hyped and I will stay hyped for that MASTERPIECE that Sony has brought to the table

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I love it when they use some old GOWII music tracks...those tracks were so epic it was a shame to only use them in one game. :D

george_us

chubigans said:
I love it when they use some old GOWII music tracks...those tracks were so epic it was a shame to only use them in one game. :D
I know, I loved hearing Glory of Sparta during the demo. If they bring back Duel with Ares and Typhon Mountain, I'd be in musical heaven.

Top Bottom