• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III |OT|

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Wait.... what in the... wait. Huh? Jesus... fucking... CHRIST! I mean, really now... whoa. Hey, uh.... holy FUCK!

(that pretty much sums up my first 15 minutes)

Dogenzaka

Banned
thetrin said:
I'm trying to play it like Bayonetta (you don't get hints, you just dodge when you're about to get hit).

There's your problem.

I'm the kind of person who wants to just button-mash the shit out of every enemy in hopes that I'll kill them before they kill me, but God of War forces me to try not to act like that. You have to dodge in anticipation.

Also, tap L1 the moment someone is about to hit you and then hit square. If you do that, you reflect their attack in a powerful counterattack whose animation leaves you invulnerable for about a second.

Anyone know how to kick hounds? I'm not sure which button will do it.

I thought it was grab (o) and then square to throw/kick?

The Posieden Battle is glitchy as hell.
I fall through Gaia's geometry and out of the playable environment when I jump on the vine wall as Posieden attacks with his trident.

I'm stuck on the
chronos part when you're on his arm... feels like i should be doing something because bad guys keep spawning... i tried hitting chronos's fingers but nothing

help?

nevermind. fuck, i hate that.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Poseidon is kicking my ass. I'm on what I believe is the last phase, and i get almost no opening to attack him with a serious combo. I get like, 2 hits in then I have to run away. 2 hits, then I run away. 2 hits then I run away.

Please tell me there's a more fun way to play this boss, guys.

Dogenzaka said:
There's your problem.

I'm the kind of person who wants to just button-mash the shit out of every enemy in hopes that I'll kill them before they kill me, but God of War forces me to try not to act like that. You have to dodge in anticipation.

Also, tap L1 the moment someone is about to hit you and then hit square. If you do that, you reflect their attack in a powerful counterattack whose animation leaves you invulnerable for about a second.

I thought it was grab (o) and then square to throw/kick?

Button mashing in Bayonetta will get you murdered. I'm not sure if you were insinuating that that's what makes Bayonetta easier for me.

Dogenzaka

Banned
While I think the level design has gotten better, I have to say the (4 hour spoilers?)
caverns
are really terrible design.
what is with floating boxes in a cave? Why do they move like that? Wtf and the battle atop the boxes was nearly impossible on hard mode considering there are no checkpoints

Poseidon is kicking my ass. I'm on what I believe is the last phase, and i get almost no opening to attack him with a serious combo. I get like, 2 hits in then I have to run away. 2 hits, then I run away. 2 hits then I run away.

There isn't, really.

When he punches the ground, if you get as close to him as possible, you are invincible, and can chain long combos. Other than that, you mostly have to play by his rules and just safely attack, and retreat.

Button mashing in Bayonetta will get you murdered. I'm not sure if you were insinuating that that's what makes Bayonetta easier for me.

I'm not. I'm just saying that's how I try to play games and it hurts me in the end.

JambiBum

thetrin said:

Out of all the bosses I have done Poseidon is by far my least favorite. Manly because he is just annoying to fight.

Messi

jonabbey said:
Kratos was a mortal warrior, a Spartan. His wife and child were killed by Ares, the God of War. In the first game, Kratos goes on a killing spree trying to reach Ares. He kills Ares and is elevated to be the new God of War.

In the second game Kratos decides he's got to take out all the gods, mostly prominently including Zeus.

In the third game, shit gets real.

Cheers, this and the video explain alot.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Fimbulvetr said:
Big mistake.

Are you blocking too?

Yeah.

Anyway, I figured out my big issue. I'm just going in so close. I'm not used to the range on the blades of chaos. I haven't played GoW2 in like, 2 years, and with Poseidon in front of me, I can't tell how close he is. Anyway, he's not hitting me at all now.

This boss is still boring as fuck to fight, but he's easy, at least.

Dogenzaka said:
Because the game decided to
throw all plot stability we had in our minds to the shitter. No, but seriously, it's because apparently like how Athena tricked Kratos, Gaia really just wanted Kratos to be a "servant of the Titans" to kill Zeus. The Titans pretty much just wanted to use Kratos to kill Zeus, for their vengeance. Well, Kratos is pretty damn selfish himself, he wants all the vengeance FOR HIMSELF. He doesn't want anyone else to kill Zeus, HE wants to do it on his own terms and when Gaia basically told him that it was more important that she lived to kill Zeus than for Kratos to live to kill Zeus, Kratos was betrayed once more and he doesn't give a flying shit about what the Titans want to do anymore.
Ah that makes sense at Kratos going bonkers over Titans as well.

traveler

Not Wario
Few hours in now, almost at the end of the demo section.
The Path of Eos is the name of my current location, iirc.
It's been pretty fun thus far. Game looks amazing and the spectacle is just balls to the wall insane.

I will say I found the first boss fight a bit too cutscene filled and QTE steered. It doesn't help the actual fight didn't involve much in the way of attack strategy or pattern recognition or any skill at all really. It's the first fight, to be fair, but I just wish that particular being had been given more justice in terms of actual gameplay. (He just as awesome as I hoped visually)

Fortunately, the second boss made up for that. Really enjoyed that fight and thought that was actually a decent bit going on for the player to react to and learn. I'm also loving the pacing- while I hope there are bigger, more involved puzzles later on, I think the mix they've got going right now between smaller puzzles, maneuvering the environment and combat is just perfect. Lastly, the story, a pop version of mythology thought it may be, has been pretty enjoyable.
They set up a pretty decent reason for Kratos to feel, at the least, indifferent about the plight of the Titans and I can even understand why Gaia "betrayed" (although that's too strong a word) him. Saving her own skin is perfectly understandable.

Anyway, all told, I'm looking forward to diving back in later after Lost.

thetrin said:
I'm trying to play it like Bayonetta (you don't get hints, you just dodge when you're about to get hit).

You can't cancel out of most animations nearly as fast as you can in Bayonetta. If you're going to invest into a long combo string or heavy attacks, make sure you've got the space and time to do it. (I only say this because I was having the same problem coming from Bayonetta- the dodge just didn't feel responsive enough until I realized it wasn't delayed, just impossible during certain animations. Also hurts that dodge offset is freaking awesome and I'm going to sorely notice it's absence in any action game from now on)

I'm only disappointed that (final boss spoiler)
the boss battle we read about in earlier demos of the game in which you fight Zeus at the same time that Gaia is rotating the temple around trying to shake you both out of it
clearly got removed in favor of something a bit more tame.

thetrin

traveler said:
You can't cancel out of most animations nearly as fast as you can in Bayonetta. If you're going to invest into a long combo string or heavy attacks, make sure you've got the space and time to do it. (I only say this because I was having the same problem coming from Bayonetta- the dodge just didn't feel responsive enough until I realized it wasn't delayed, just impossible during certain animations. Also hurts that dodge offset is freaking awesome and I'm going to sorely notice it's absence in any action game from now on)

I know. Trying to play the game like Bayonetta was getting me killed. Once I stepped back into the God of War mode, it made more sense.

Poseidon down (without a scratch on me!) On to the next step in my murderous rampage.

kaskade

I'm trying to decide if this game is better looking than Uncharted 2. I mean, it looks fucking good. I think the thing that's making it look better than Uncharted is the fixed camera. It gives the game a more movie like feel. It definitely can approach CG quality at times. Whatever though, the game is gorgeous.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
kaskade said:
I'm trying to decide if this game is better looking than Uncharted 2. I mean, it looks fucking good. I think the thing that's making it look better than Uncharted is the fixed camera. It gives the game a more movie like feel. It definitely can approach CG quality at times. Whatever though, the game is gorgeous.
This is the new king. Look at the tech. No tearing and higher framerate than UC2/KZ2 with tons more going on.

Magnus

thetrin said:
I know. Trying to play the game like Bayonetta was getting me killed. Once I stepped back into the God of War mode, it made more sense.

Poseidon down (without a scratch on me!) On to the next step in my murderous rampage.

How the fuck do you dodge every instance of the blue horse energy breath? I've tried everything, backing away, moving to the sides, getting in close, blocking it out right. Nothing. I'll invariably get hit by about 25-50% of them, and successfully seem to dodge the rest by clinging to the sides, but again, that's not a perfect solution. Every time I've done the fight (always eventually successfully) I near death many times, and recuperate it for the next phase of the fight. I'm definitely doing something wrong.

Barakov

Just beat
Hades
. That has to be one of the most brutal boss fights I've ever been in. I can't remember the last game constantly exceeded my expectations like this.

Definity

-PXG- said:
This game shouldn't be possible, but it is. Why are we still here? The universe should have imploded the moment someone put this game in their PS3. Shit don't make a lick of sense.
Pretty much my feeling after playing only 1 hour.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Magnus said:
How the fuck do you dodge every instance of the blue horse energy breath? I've tried everything, backing away, moving to the sides, getting in close, blocking it out right. Nothing. I'll invariably get hit by about 25-50% of them, and successfully seem to dodge the rest by clinging to the sides, but again, that's not a perfect solution. Every time I've done the fight (always eventually successfully) I near death many times, and recuperate it for the next phase of the fight. I'm definitely doing something wrong.

You just need to keep being offensive. I saw it do the attack once or twice at the start and never let him execute it again(on titan).

Treb

The game is pretty intense on hard. I died a lot while fighting Poseidon, but it felt so good when I finally did beat him. Definitely isn't button mashing friendly on hard mode.

Also, the game looks absolutely amazing!

Click

Banned
Digital-Hero said:
The Posieden Battle is glitchy as hell.
I fall through Gaia's geometry and out of the playable environment when I jump on the vine wall as Posieden attacks with his trident.

Same here.

Mega Man's Electric Sheep said:
Yeah, the Poseidon part was great spectacle, but not much fun for me. Luckily, it gets much more fun after him, and the spectacle gets even more spectacular :D

Fixed.

Magnus said:

Use magic, you still get pushed back but you'll hit it a few times and won't take damage.

SlickVic

Wow at all these impressions on the graphics/presentation. Certainly come a long way from that Spike VGA '08 trailer where people were saying "meh, looks like GoW 2.5". :lol

Dogenzaka

Banned
I've gotten like 3 items now and 2 weapons and am I the only one that is starting to get clumsy with the controls? I'm in a boss fight where I have to alternate using L2, R2, the face buttons, and the right analog stick in a chaotic order on split-second's notice and it's becoming very complicated lol.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Hmm.
Who do I contact about my free Ultimate Edition DLC codes not working?
Specifically, I was able to redeem 2 of them (music and video), but the one pertaining to the challenge and Dominus skin is completely unreadable. Printing error.

scoobs

WOW just beat god of war 1 and.... that was one of the hardest things i'v ever had to do. And I'm not referring to the game itself (which was indeed quite difficult) but the fact that I could barely bring myself to even play it. SOOOO FRUSTRATING!! Ugh, if I never play that game again I'll die a happy man.

Dogenzaka said:
I've gotten like 3 items now and 2 weapons and am I the only one that is starting to get clumsy with the controls? I'm in a boss fight where I have to alternate using L2, R2, the face buttons, and the right analog stick in a chaotic order on split-second's notice and it's becoming very complicated lol.

I'm having problems with opening chests and double jumps/gliding. Tried two different controllers, I'm pretty sure the game itself is buggy. The intro level was fine, but the area right after that (I won't so, since it's kind if spoilers) is giving me a lot of problems.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
scoobs said:
WOW just beat god of war 1 and.... that was one of the hardest things i'v ever had to do. And I'm not referring to the game itself (which was indeed quite difficult) but the fact that I could barely bring myself to even play it. SOOOO FRUSTRATING!! Ugh, if I never play that game again I'll die a happy man.

God of War 2 is so much better.

Johnas

Dogenzaka said:

I keep accidentally triggering magic at random times (I blame the DS3 trigger design), and I still have some trouble executing double jumps properly all the time.

The analog-stick QTE commands are the trickiest ones, imo.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Mejilan said:
Hmm.
Who do I contact about my free Ultimate Edition DLC codes not working?
Specifically, I was able to redeem 2 of them (music and video), but the one pertaining to the challenge and Dominus skin is completely unreadable. Printing error.
Same thing as The Taxerdermist DLC for HR.

Top Bottom