• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III |OT|

"the underwhelming lack of scale"
Dunno what kind of ridiculous expectations you have, but I'm
chasing down Hermes
right now, and I have zero complaints with the scale.
How on earth is that fight or the lead up to it "underwhelming" in scale? :lol

Dogenzaka

Banned
theignoramus said:
"the underwhelming lack of scale"
Dunno what kind of ridiculous expectations you have, but I'm
chasing down Hermes
right now, and I have zero complaints with the scale.
How on earth is that fight or the lead up to it "underwhelming" in scale? :lol

Because I
fucking rode a Titan the size of the Sears Tower up a ginormous mountain and destroyed a colossal god with the army of the sea, and then they dump me into cavern corridors and small arenas ala God of War 2 for the hours after the first boss fight. The Hermes battle and its surroundings' "scale" you refer to aren't even remotely impressive considering it's of the same caliber of scale we found in the majority of environments in God of War 2. Even less astonishing when remembering the Atlas level itself in GoW2 tops anything found in the Realm of Hades or up the Caverns to chase down Hermes. The past 6 hours of the game has been little but small rooms and corridors with the occasional "window" view to the outside world.

When in 2009, SSM said that the game would comprise of the "very levels being the Titans", expectations were had. In reality, though,
So far I only briefly rode Gaia and I guess you battle Kronos.
but I've only just beaten
Hercules
so I don't know what lies ahead for me.

JaxJag

Banned
Does Krato's blades sound really muffled at the beginning of the game when you swing them?

Or is there something wrong with my game?

shagg_187 said:
More like you need to keep reminding yourself how much you suck at it cause I love the combat system. Play some Dante's Inferno as that will suit your need.

For weird reasons, you have to enter the code online. It'll give you a new code after that.

I went to godofwar.com/skin, but I typed in the code before I logged in... then it took me to a log in page, which then sent me back to the enter code page where it says in read that the code has already been redeemed... am I gonna get an e-mail now? Haven't gotten one yet.

Tom Penny

dasupremeone said:
is it me or does the controller response time seems laggy...

Jump and roll are slow not really the attack moves. As far as graphics go they are stellar but but some sections wow a lot more than others. My favorite graphical wow this gen is still in UC2 when Nathan lights the torch in the cave and has that blueish lighting going on. I'm still very early in the game so I'm sure there is plenty more to see. :D

YYZ

I agree with the feeling lesser scale. Maybe it's just me. There were some big areas so far, but they feel different somehow. It's like everything's huge, but more personal or something.

Last major enemy I killed was
Kronos and then Hephaestus.

FINALLY completed GOWII. I was planning on moving on to part 3 tonight but the last bits of part 2 really got on my nerves.

Even though I repeatedly died going through the wave of enemies near the end due to the medusa's stoning me at the most inopportune of times, at least if presented a fun challenge of endurance and survival. The Zeus fight was also enjoyable. I found myself doing lots of hitting and running, utilizing the Evade+attack maneuver (right thumb + triangle) to get in some cheap shots. But that FAT UGLY COW OF A BLOB. My god. It's not that it was difficult. It's that I had no fucking clue what to do. All the fucking pulleys and wrenches, I had no idea what the fuck was going on. I'd pull on one expecting something to happen but nada. Finally I did something I rarely do and had to find a walkthrough online to figure out how to finish off this whore whale. Agggh. Interesting ending though, didn't expect Kratos to be Zeus's son. :lol Overall a fantastic game. I'm going to rest, let the frustration subside, and start part 3 tomorrow fresh and rejuvenated. VENGEANCE SHALL BE MINE...TOMORROW EVENING!!!! (already have my copy)

Just finished Chains of Olympus and I feel bad for Kratos. Here's hoping the dude gets somewhat of a happy ending.

My copy of GOW3 will hopefully be here tomorrow :(

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
How the F do I beat
ZEUS INSIDE GAIA!?!? HE IS FUCKING CHEAP WHEN HE MULTIPLIES LIKE CRAZY!!! ARGH!! I had like 20 fucking Zeus in my screen at ones... no FUCKING KIDDING!!! How do I beat this!?!?
:mad:

belvedere

Junior Butler
Told the wife I was going to wait until she finished FFXIII before I bought this. I figured I'd waited this long I can wait a couple more weeks, even though that seemed completely impossible.

She came home today with GoW III for me.

About an hour into it and OMFG son. OMFG.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
I wish Sony included the god of war chains of Olympus soundtrack with the free soundtracks. I still have those 3 mp3s that i got free from amazon from the chains of Olympus soundtrack.

Dogenzaka

Banned
-DarKaoZ- said:
How the F do I beat
ZEUS INSIDE GAIA!?!? HE IS FUCKING CHEAP WHEN HE MULTIPLIES LIKE CRAZY!!! ARGH!! I had like 20 fucking Zeus in my screen at ones... no FUCKING KIDDING!!! How do I beat this!?!?

You could have mentioned before hand that you were on like a final boss or something....:( thanks

belvedere said:
Told the wife I was going to wait until she finished FFXIII before I bought this. I figured I'd waited this long I can wait a couple more weeks, even though that seemed completely impossible.

She came home today with GoW III for me.

About an hour into it and OMFG son. OMFG.

No wonder you married her :lol

Tom Penny said:
Jump and roll are slow not really the attack moves. As far as graphics go they are stellar but but some sections wow a lot more than others. My favorite graphical wow this gen is still in UC2 when Nathan lights the torch in the cave and has that blueish lighting going on. I'm still very early in the game so I'm sure there is plenty more to see. :D

There are some moments that rival that part in U2, I wouldn't say they are better, and they are pretty subtle actually but ya, they are up there. I'd also put the U-boat in Uncharted right up there :D

I was a little nervous starting on Titan mode or whatever Hard is, but I think I'll be alright. As long as the difficulty doesn't suddenly spike it shouldn't be too much harder than Hard modes in the first two, right?

ps omfg this game is everything it needed to be and more

MacDee

Neo Member
neojubei said:
Did you buy the Ultimate Edition?

Really?
Did the 'art book, chest' not enough info? Yes I bought the $99 Ultimate edition, yes I have the plastic chest, yes I have the art book, I even have the game and the preorder code on a separate sheet!
On hold with Sony...

Zeliard

Dogenzaka said:
Because I
fucking rode a Titan the size of the Sears Tower up a ginormous mountain and destroyed a colossal god with the army of the sea, and then they dump me into cavern corridors and small arenas ala God of War 2 for the hours after the first boss fight. The Hermes battle and its surroundings' "scale" you refer to aren't even remotely impressive considering it's of the same caliber of scale we found in the majority of environments in God of War 2. Even less astonishing when remembering the Atlas level itself in GoW2 tops anything found in the Realm of Hades or up the Caverns to chase down Hermes. The past 6 hours of the game has been little but small rooms and corridors with the occasional "window" view to the outside world.

When in 2009, SSM said that the game would comprise of the "very levels being the Titans", expectations were had. In reality, though,
So far I only briefly rode Gaia and I guess you battle Kronos.
but I've only just beaten
Hercules
so I don't know what lies ahead for me.

Maybe you should stop listening to developer hype that causes you to develop unrealistic expectations prior to the game's release, only to take it out on the game itself once you realize the reality of it?

People really never learn. Stop listening to fucking developers and producers. They are marketing, and they are almost always full of shit.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
canova said:
I've been playing this game for 2 hours. The thing about GoW franchise is that you have to keep reminding yourself that combat is not its greatest strength

Is that not a really sad comment on the series, though? Shouldn't the gameplay be the strongest part of every good game?

~Kinggi~

Banned
Finally started, played the first 40 minutes

WHAT THE FUCK

good lord man that was the most amazing game sequence i ever did play. That shit was bonkers, it was crazy HAHA /nelson fuck you motherfuckers look what i made!!

Anyway, i am sad though as it will be all downhill from here. There is no way the perfection of the first 40 minutes will be topped in the next couple of years. People that dont own a ps3, you must buy one now.

:(

Also, anyone know how long that Making Of Documentary is that is unlocked at the start? The game has a really shitty video playing system with no time marker.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
MacDee said:
Really?
Did the 'art book, chest' not enough info? Yes I bought the $99 Ultimate edition, yes I have the plastic chest, yes I have the art book, I even have the game and the preorder code on a separate sheet!
On hold with Sony...

I guess you should take it back or call Sony.

The Soundtrack is missing the junkie XL remix.

cnizzle06

Banned
Is there anyway to check your difficulty setting, I just reached the demo portion and everything thus far has seemed sorta easy. I thought I set it to normal, but I'm thinking I may have accidentally changed it during my encounter with
Poseidon

Magnus

-DarKaoZ- said:
How the F do I beat

My experience on normal difficulty:

Tons and tons of use of right-analog stick dodging, and air dashing with hermes' boots was necessary. You have to stay stupidly mobile. Every time the heart glows, beat Zeus to it. If he gets there first, nail him and stop his drain.

Gang rape is best avoided by a jump + air dash, or a circular attack spin with the blades followed by the Magic Spartan Shield move. I don't know the names of any attacks in this game. :lol

simtmb

Tried finding a copy at some local stores (within Melb). With no success :(

I can't even wait an extra day on this game....god dammit.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
cnizzle06 said:
Is there anyway to check your difficulty setting, I just reached the demo portion and everything thus far has seemed sorta easy. I thought I set it to normal, but I'm thinking I may have accidentally changed it during my encounter with
Poseidon

It says it at the save menu.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Are the gorgon eyes/feather chests hidden really well or something? I had no problem finding them in 1+2, but I'm probably half way through
(just pleased Aphrodite :p)
, and I only have a few.

-PXG-

alr1ghtstart said:
Are the gorgon eyes/feather chests hidden really well or something? I had no problem finding them in 1+2, but I'm probably half way through
(just pleased Aphrodite :p)
, and I only have a few.

Same with me. I've upgraded my magic twice. I've only found one minotaur horn and two gorgon eyes.

MrPliskin

Banned
Just wanted to say the opening credits were really awesome. Leaving the thread now to avoid the disappointed crazies and the rabid enthusiasts. Game is great.

Top Bottom