• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III |OT|

4l6qnb.jpg

There is no word to describe its perfection, so I am forced to make one up. And I'm going to do so right now. Scrumtrilescent.

Toki767 said:
I have an extra Morpheus Armor DLC code to the first person who wants it.

I'll take it if it's still available.

-Edit-

Thanks!

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
LiquidMetal14 said:
Same thing as The Taxerdermist DLC for HR.

I uh... I'm not sure what that means.
Also, it looks like I typed too soon. It's not accepting the music code. Could just be because the site's getting hammered, but I don't think so. Video code went through just fine, though.

Edit - Nevermind. Music code did go through. G = 6, apparently.

Crisco

Banned
No really, how the fuck? The image quality is absolutely insane. This really shouldn't be possible. The guys who coded this engine need a more important job than making fucking video games. Go help the NSA find terrorists or something, holy shit.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Mejilan said:
I uh... I'm not sure what that means.
Also, it looks like I typed too soon. It's not accepting the music code. Could just be because the site's getting hammered, but I don't think so. Video code went through just fine, though.

Edit - Nevermind. Music code did go through. G = 6, apparently.
I'm not sure but I think the content may not be there yet. Maybe Thrusday? Or maybe the they are getting hammered.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
LiquidMetal14 said:
I'm not sure but I think the content may not be there yet. Maybe Thrusday? Or maybe the they are getting hammered.

Codes went live today. Like I said, I already redeemed 2 of them.
3rd one is almost totally unreadable though. :(

RavenFox

Banned
Ok I know this has been said but I really cannot believe what I'm playing. Say what you want about PC being ahead oh fuck I cant I don't know what to think. The shit going on in this game is just to ridiculous for words. Oh man thank God I was alive on this day to experience such a milestone. Look how far we've come ..love how far we've come

Johnas

Konosuke said:
Advice me GAF. I can't buy a PS3 meanwhile. Should i watch it all on YouTube? The game is just too awesome to not see...

Uh, don't do that. This game needs to be experienced by playing it yourself.

Just read the comments here. ;)

blackflag

This game is amazing but it seems to be glitchy as he'll. Got stuck and had to reload once when I jumped and got stuck on a wall. My guy was just stuck in it jittering.

Weird glitch on the 2nd boss fight. He knocked me out of the room into the river but I didn't die and I couldn't get back in the room.

That fight is the most epic thing ever though for real.

kikanny

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD! I played the first half hour. OMG!!! Seriously, EPIC has been over-used so many times, but this game is really EPIC! The scale.....the fucking scale......no words. How did they do it?! This game was well worth the wait! Seriously, I thought people were exaggerating when they said the game had graphics as good as U2 with crazy scale. BUT ITS FUCKING TRUE!! I'm going to savor this game as long as possible!

Btw, I'm already stuck in a puzzle in the first 30 minutes! :lol Help?
Its the vent puzzle in the Hades level. I'm supposed to save that guy and he'll give me his bow. I took that bramble and placed it near that fire breathing dog and there's steam coming out of it. So I jump and fly up, but there's a gate shutting the lever on the top. I'm stuck here.

KingGondo

Banned
Fantastic, great, stellar. It's like playing a WAY better GoW2 with the polish and graphics of Uncharted 2.

Just beat
Hades
, if this is only the second boss than consider me pumped as hell for the rest of the game.
kikanny said:
Btw, I'm already stuck in a puzzle in the first 30 minutes! Help?
Its the vent puzzle in the Hades level. I'm supposed to save that guy and he'll give me his bow. I took that bramble and placed it near that fire breathing dog and there's steam coming out of it. So I jump and fly up, but there's a gate shutting the lever on the top. I'm stuck here.
Jump on top of the platform near the guy, and it opens the gate. Run over and you should be able to glide up to the lever.

Rikyfree

Man I am sooooo glad
Clancy Brown brought back the voice of the Kurgen from Highlander as the voice of Hades
Perfect fit IMO. Also I better get a damn email about my chaos skin on Thursday. Another thing, what ever happened to
Atlas?
I didn't even see him in the game.

KingGondo

Banned
Rikyfree said:
Man I am sooooo glad
Clancy Brown brought back the voice of the Kurgen from Highlander as the voice of Hades
Perfect fit IMO. Also I better get a damn email about my chaos skin on Thursday. Another thing, what ever happened to
Atlas?
I didn't even see him in the game.
Atlas is the huge rock/lava guy climbing Olympus with Gaia at the beginning of the game, i'm pretty sure.

52club

I got to put in about 45 minutes, all I can say is WOW! It is nice to see a developer make a "shorter" single player game that is full of goodness instead of stretching things out needlessly. I hope the sales justify that decision.

KingGondo

Banned
Fimbulvetr said:
Atlas is supposed to have 4 arms in GOW.
Aaaand that's why I need to just leave the tough questions to people like you.

Who is that guy, then? Not being sarcastic, honestly curious.

Edit: @kikanny No problem.

52club said:
I got to put in about 45 minutes, all I can say is WOW! It is nice to see a developer make a "shorter" single player game that is full of goodness instead of stretching things out needlessly. I hope the sales justify that decision.

It's God OF War Series I'm sure the sales will be just fine :lol

KingGondo

Banned
FleckSplat said:
Spoilers for a character and a famous actor who may play him/her:

Is
Hephaestus
played by
Rip Torn
?

Awesome if so.
Says so on Wikipedia. Pretty cool.

Although didn't he just get arrested for something?

KingGondo said:
Aaaand that's why I need to just leave the tough questions to people like you.

Who is that guy, then? Not being sarcastic, honestly curious.

Edit: @kikanny No problem.

Just a generic titan apparently, most of them are unnamed and the few that are were imprisoned save for Gaia.

matmanx1

I just popped in to say that the graphics in this game are absolutely sick. Like on a whole other level of ridiculous. I think FFXIII and Uncharted have awesome graphics but GoW3 is just an eyeball orgasm.

I was expecting good but I did not expect this. Congratulations, Sony Santa Monica, you've managed to impress an old jaded gamer.

Canova

Banned
I've been playing this game for 2 hours. The thing about GoW franchise is that you have to keep reminding yourself that combat is not its greatest strength

dralla

damn son. i'm about 60% through [i think]. gonna finish it up tomorrow.

favorite parts so far

beating posiden to death in 2nd person
fight w/ hades
cutting hermes legs off!
ramming herculies into the vines and beating his face in
jamming the ore into chronos' neck

I guess that's pretty much of all of it huh?

love what they did to the combat. all the new moves and small tweaks make a pretty big difference.

Decado

OK, Poseidon is kicking my ass. Never had so much trouble with a boss in a GoW game.

I get through the first two mini stages OK (albeit with no health), but once it gets to the second time standing on the rock platform with the crab legs on either side and poseidon shooting lightning bolts I'm fucked. Is it just me, or are the lightning bolts, when they go from front to back or back to front, fucking impossible to dodge. That's what's getting me all the time. Am I missing something?

I got that slip with the Phantom of Chaos costume code, but it didn't download... that happen for anyone else?

Decado said:
OK, Poseidon is kicking my ass. Never had so much trouble with a boss in a GoW game.

I get through the first two mini stages OK (albeit with no health), but once it gets to the second time standing on the rock platform with the crab legs on either side and poseidon shooting lightning bolts I'm fucked. Is it just me, or are the lightning bolts, when they go from front to back or back to front, fucking impossible to dodge. That's what's getting me all the time. Am I missing something?

Same thing happened to me... I think I just got through that by sheer luck and jumping a lot. Plus I used that whirlwind thing as often as possible to quickly deal with the side leg things.

canova said:
I've been playing this game for 2 hours. The thing about GoW franchise is that you have to keep reminding yourself that combat is not its greatest strength

More like you need to keep reminding yourself how much you suck at it cause I love the combat system. Play some Dante's Inferno as that will suit your need.

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
I got that slip with the Phantom of Chaos costume code, but it didn't download... that happen for anyone else?

For weird reasons, you have to enter the code online. It'll give you a new code after that.

Captain N

A lot of mortals die all because Kratos wanting to get revenge. I have a feeling the next game will be someone who lost everyone he loves at the ands of Kratos coming after him.
thoughts?

No_Style

Not since UC2 was I captivated by a game. It's really tough to put down once you get started.

Love the ability to pull yourself towards enemies. I was keeping myself afloat for quite some time by pulling myself towards those harpies/flying demon bats and killing them.

I noticed they changed how the double jump works which took sometime to adjust to. The window between jumps has narrowed considerably.

Some protips:

• Make sure the game is fitting your screen properly by toying with the scaling options under Display options.
  • Make sure your sound is configured properly as well. Mine was set to 7.1 by default when I have a 5.1

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
nskinnear said:
Yep, that was quite an improvement. I thought the use of
Helios' head as a light source
was brilliant.

They already did that in the demo, though the whole cave was expanded. It handled Helios in general a lot better though, what with him flaring you and trying to trick Kratos to touch the flame. There was also the whole Gaia part at the start, which was awesome.

Just finished the first "level" and all I can say is wow. The graphics are better than Uncharted 2 (I just finished UC2 this morning so its all fresh in my mind) and the sense of scale is astounding. You really feel like this super badass dude in a fight that you should have no chance in winning :lol

Dogenzaka

Banned
Tkawsome said:
4l6qnb.jpg

There is no word to describe its perfection, so I am forced to make one up. And I'm going to do so right now. Scrumtrilescent.

I'll take it if it's still available.

-Edit-

Thanks!

It's not perfect, just like the reviews said.

It's magnificent and gorgeous and fun to play but there are a quite a few things that I think could have been done better
some level design, the control scheme, the underwhelming lack of scale after the Poseidon fight, etc.

But I just beat that hard boss I mentioned earlier and have reached what I think is the
Pits of Tartarus

Level design is getting better and more cohesive, and the plot is really starting to get interesting. Can't wait for the final stretch.

Dogenzaka

Banned
No_Style said:
Some protips:

• Make sure the game is fitting your screen properly by toying with the scaling options under Display options.
  • Make sure your sound is configured properly as well. Mine was set to 7.1 by default when I have a 5.1

This.

I almost came to this thread to complain about jaggies last night. MLAA certainly didn't look very special and everything seemed pretty aliased.

Then I realized that, by default, the game was fitting the screen to be way larger than my actual TV was, so it was stretching out the image. When I fit it down, the game looked PERFECT and ASTONISHING. Not a jag in sight!

Top Bottom