• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III |OT|

BeeDog

Alright, haven't played far (fucking exams), and just got up to
Hephaestus
. Game's frickin' awesome so far, the presentation is incredibly mindblowing and all the small tweaks to the combat makes it so much better, smoother and "fulfilling."

Good shit. :D

Question: is the PSN voucher code in the Collector's Edition borked (à la Heavy Rain), or does it work now? What about the pre-order voucher code?

Firewire

Banned
For those having the double jump with the wing's problem just jump before the edge of the ledge. Someone posted on the last page that if you jump right at the edge of the ledge you will experience a collision problem (like invisible wall). They stated that SSM did this because in GOW1 & 2 people where walking right of the ledges by accident I guess.

Jim

Fletcher said:
So glad this is happening to others. I seriously was just about to go buy a new controller. Hah.

I didn't have problems after I realized that the wings don't come out until after you double jump. So the 3rd button press.

So X (jump off the ground), X (double jump) then X again (and hold).

My playthrough in Hard was 100% glitch free.

Smokey

Omotesando said:
This game......after one hour of unparrelled spectacle, almost brings a tear in my eye. Playing this other than Titan mode for the first time is a huge disservice to the God of War experience. Must eat fast and go back into the bloodshed....

I hate when people say things like this.

KnightM7

Banned
Guys quick question
I just beat hades and Im about to leave the underworld. Was I suppose to help heph find persephone before I leave through the portal?

RavenFox said:
Concerning what I bolded. Buddy of mine wrote this on modojo

I'm leaning to agree.
UPDATE:
Ok buddy Saito from the GODWIII crew wrote this on modojo

I actually like starting where I die. That's just me.

Who is Saito?

What is going on with the costume codes? it is not saying I've already used them, but the website crashed last night when I tried, and I didn't get any email about them. Are the PSN codes not going out yet or did it just get messed up?

LowParry

KnightM7 said:
Guys quick question
I just beat hades and Im about to leave the underworld. Was I suppose to help heph find persephone before I leave through the portal?

Negative. Things will unfold in your near future. :D

The Chef

Man the (
Hades
level 2) level is awesome.
I love the parts where there is the little girls song in the background. Adds a really eerie element to the whole level. Also Hephaestus is a great character. His voice is fantastic.

Damn I missed these games and I didn't even know it.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Linkzg said:
What is going on with the costume codes? it is not saying I've already used them, but the website crashed last night when I tried, and I didn't get any email about them. Are the PSN codes not going out yet or did it just get messed up?
Im guessing its messed up. It took my code last night but has yet to send an email out :/

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Omotesando said:
This game......after one hour of unparrelled spectacle, almost brings a tear in my eye. Playing this other than Titan mode for the first time is a huge disservice to the God of War experience. Must eat fast and go back into the bloodshed....

Uh...no. Playing the game in a higher difficulty just because "its the experience" but you end up not finishing it because you get pissed off is a disservice to the God of War experience. Im personally playing on Titan, but its NOT for everyone.

In fact, other than the fact that theres a trophy tied to beating it on Titan, there's really no other incentive for people to play on that one (other than the fact that they want a harder challenge).

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Smokey said:
I hate when people say things like this.
While not maybe the first time I would agree that hard is perfect even if a bit unforgiving at times. So rewarding and I'm on playthrough 1.

Linkzg said:

Are the codes on an insert inside the Ultimate Edition game case? I bought both a regular and Ultimate Edition version and opened the Regular. Do I have to break shrink on the Ultimate to get the DLC?

gcubed

The Chef said:
Man the (
Hades
level 2) level is awesome.
I love the parts where there is the little girls song in the background. Adds a really eerie element to the whole level. Also Hephaestus is a great character. His voice is fantastic.

Damn I missed these games and I didn't even know it.

once you take a second to realize everything that is going on around you, its utterly amazing

Magnus

SixStringPsycho said:
Thats a spoil? If youve played the past 2 games they arent! I mean isnt that what YOU were expecting and wanted to do in the game and what Kratos was meant to do? Revealing whats going to happen after that is a spoiler junior!

It doesn't matter dude. There are any number of ways an ending to a game can play out. That fight was probably going to happen in this game, but no one knows 100% ahead of time what's going to be the final challenge in a game. If the final hour of a game isn't worth tagging, then nothing is, christ. You're indefensible. Go back to Gamefaqs.

I'd ban you right now if I could.

So now that people are finishing the game, I wanted to mention the moment I thought was referenced by that G4 interview as being 'shocking' or morally surprising, or whatever.

(ending spoiler)

I think this is the moment where you recover from your interior confrontation with fear, and wake up to absolutely annihilate Zeus. You can continue punching him to a bloody red pulp infinitely, for all I know. About 20 seconds into the blood red screen, I realized I should probably stop, but kept going for ten seconds more, my mouth kind of agape that I was permitted to totally brutalize the king of the gods like this. A friend of mine went on for about five minutes in hysterical laughter. Another thought he'd lose if he didn't keep punching him and continued for about a minute before giving up.

I thought it was a really dark, brutal moment, darker than anything else in the game, simply because it let you unleash your frustration on Zeus for as long as you wanted. It was simple, and fucking bloody. :lol

How did everyone else react to that moment?

Majine

Banned
KnightM7 said:
Guys quick question
I can't figure out what to do when I get back into
the Forge. I see a portal next to the big guy, but I can't reach it.
heelp.

Firewire said:
For those wondering, this is how level difficulty levels affect the game.

Kratos Damage Output
Spartan (Easy) 200%
God (Normal) 100%
Titan (Hard) 100%

Chaos (Very Hard) 75%
That's what I wanted to know, that is all I fucking wanted to know. Now I'm regretting not starting the game on Hard :'(

LowParry

Majine said:
I can't figure out what to do when I get back into
the Forge. I see a portal next to the big guy, but I can't reach it.
heelp.

You'll be through that later. Just track back.
Your portal is outside.

A.Romero

Tom Penny said:
I'm disappointed in his wings. Mabye I just suck with them but I fall in pits on the easiest jumps sometimes because his wings don't open :lol

It's not you. It happens to me as well and I'm not that bad at videogames. It's a bug.

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Uh...no. Playing the game in a higher difficulty just because "its the experience" but you end up not finishing it because you get pissed off is a disservice to the God of War experience. Im personally playing on Titan, but its NOT for everyone.

In fact, other than the fact that theres a trophy tied to beating it on Titan, there's really no other incentive for people to play on that one (other than the fact that they want a harder challenge).

Didn't say it was for everyone, but it's a game in terms of 'experience' simular to Blizzard games IMO, the harder it gets, the more fun and rewarding. Also, I'm the kind of the guy that doesn't mind dying 5 times in a row.

The Chef

gcubed said:
once you take a second to realize everything that is going on around you, its utterly amazing

Yeah its truly astounding the amount of work that went into every single section of this game. You can't help but be completely enveloped from one scene to the next.

Had to take a sick day today from work so I decided to jump into GOW3 (I am genuinely sick). But WOW, what a way to throw a player into the mix of things! :lol Gotta love Santa Monica, they're not holding back at all with introducing you to the world of Kratos!!! Currently I'm only an hour in but there were some truly graphically awing moments. This is very early in in the first hour.

There were moments inside Gaia's body that looked CG. At one point I just stood directly up to the camera and looked in wonder at Kratos's in-game model. Great skin texturing without a single polygonal edge to be found.

While I don't understand the technical specifics behind MLAA, I can say that the image quality is very high with little to no jaggies to be found. And something as seemingly inconsequential as Kratos's breathing animation is so superb you can almost see the rage emanating with every breath he takes.

Fletcher said:
I really like how with the
Claws of Hades
, evading pulls you away instead of rolling. Simple things make me happy.

YES, YES AND YES!!! Fuck i was so enthusiastic about this when i found out how fast evading was with the
Claws of Hades
. The time between evading with the other blades' is amazingly slow compared to the
Claws of Hades
. It's pretty much all i use anymore. For those that have just started, you're in for the biggest treat of the year.

I don't want to read too much since i'm about halfway through the game and kept a media blackout pretty well, but I must say a few things:

• Wow, the art and graphics are UNREAL 80% of the time, and Great for the remainding 20%.
  • Animation + Motion blur are some of the best i've seen.
  • Combat has improved in every way. Gameplay/Style/Weight/Impact
  • Bosses and enemies in general have great variety
  • More violent and gruesome than previous titles
  • Some experiment camera-angles add a lot to the experience
  • Magic has improved
  • Most impressive scale i've ever witnessed
  • Comments about CGI-like graphics at times are true. That AA trick is magical.
  • Couldnt help myself playing for 5-6 hours straight and I cannot wait to get home and to it again.
  • It's amazing how much attention and care went into nearly EVERY little thing in this game. Each section, enemy/bosses, QTE's, environments, puzzles, animations, sound, lighting, weapons, etc. It's very very rare to play a game and literally see how much care went into it. Nothing feels lazy or half-assed to me.
  • Wow, just impressive overall.

I would also like to add that after putting some time with this game, I can totally see what Jaffe was saying about the painting come to life, and some of the surroundings can pass as just that. I will visit this thread again after completion.

ENJOY THE GAME, EVERYONE!

DeadGzuz

Banned
Linkzg said:

Same with me. After giving errors, it finally took but no e-mail.

Firewire said:
For those having the double jump with the wing's problem just jump before the edge of the ledge. Someone posted on the last page that if you jump right at the edge of the ledge you will experience a collision problem (like invisible wall). They stated that SSM did this because in GOW1 & 2 people where walking right of the ledges by accident I guess.

Also saw that post. I'm early in the game so I haven't experienced this "quirk" yet but it's curious that he says people were walking off the ledges by accident in the previous games. Having just completed the GOW Collection, I don't recall any instance where I ran off a ledge. There was always an invisible wall there to protect me from falling off into a lava pit except in a few special instances. It was never a problem though, just a reality I've become accustomed to in platformers. But I guess in a game like GOW where the scale of the levels is so massive, its necessary to guide the player with these invisible walls.

MYE

"We thought you would like to know that the following items have been successfully processed and will shortly be dispatched to you by Royal Mail First Class post.

GOW3PS3 God of War III (PS3)
"

Yes, FINALLY!!! shit

The Chef

PartlyCloudlike said:
While I don't understand the technical specifics behind MLAA, I can say that the image quality is very high with little to no jaggies to be found. And something as seemingly inconsequential as Kratos's breathing animation is so superb you can almost see the rage emanating with every breath he takes.

I just noticed his breathing a second ago. Its details like that, that push this game beyond almost anything else I have ever seen.

Also the character modeling of some of the guys you fight is superb. The minotaur and medusa are so damn detailed everytime I fight them I notice something else. I particularly love the snorting steam that comes out of the Minotaurs snout when your about to off him.

Filldough said:
Motion blur when using
Hermes' Sandals
is nothing short of amazing. Frustrating "Do it all over" moments are a staple of the series haha. I agree with your statement on the
Hercules fight
as well. Beat him last night, holy shit... I actually started to get uncomfortable
when you're bashing his face in with the Cestus!
Holy fuck! The brutality is refreshing and perverse! Can't wait to go back and play more... work is really dull compared to life as the Ghost of Sparta.

"Fight this group of enemies again" doesn't bother me too much, but when the game gives you a checkpoint a minute before the fight triggers, making you re-open chests 2, 3 and 4 times, that's stupid. Also, segmenting bosses/hard enemies into stages, then failing to use checkpoints pisses me off. Many times I've cleaned the enemies' clocks in stage 1/2, then got owned in 3. Guess what, you have to do 1/2 over again! Goodie.

I love the game otherwise.

The Chef said:
I just noticed his breathing a second ago. Its details like that, that push this game beyond almost anything else I have ever seen.

Also the character modeling of some of the guys you fight is superb. The minotaur and medusa are so damn detailed everytime I fight them I notice something else. I particularly love the snorting steam that comes out of the Minotaurs snout when your about to off him.

One thing that annoys me about QTE is that I'm so focused looking for the next button alert I don't get a chance to fully appreciate the brutality occurring onscreen! I'll echo an earlier sentiment in this thread and say GOW3 is a game I wouldn't mind watching someone else play just to take in all the little gory details...but only after I've finished my first play through of course!

El-Suave

My US Ultimate import arrived today - in excellent condition, so no problems there.

However Sony decided to put the documentary download file in the video store instead of the regular store so that you can't access it with your voucher from outside of the US. Not cool at all.

Pimpbaa

I was wondering if we were ever going to meet
Heracles
. That was a pretty fun encounter. Although not as fun as
Aphrodite
:D

PartlyCloudlike said:
One thing that annoys me about QTE is that I'm so focused looking for the next button alert I don't get a chance to fully appreciate the brutality occurring onscreen! I'll echo an earlier sentiment in this thread and say GOW3 is a game I wouldn't mind watching someone else play just to take in all the little gory details...but only after I've finished my first play through of course!

Use peripheral vision.

Joke spoiler below, it's okay to highlight.
Not a preorder bonus

OK completed the first boss...

What a refreshing change to be able to see what it's like to be killed by Kratos through Poseidon's eyes ... until he pushes them in with L3+R3! My god the brutality!

Animator

PartlyCloudlike said:
OK completed the first boss...

What a refreshing change to be able to see what it's like to be killed by Kratos through Poseidon's eyes ... until he pushes them in with L3+R3! My god the brutality!

That is actually one of the "humane" finishers compared to some of the shit you will see later. :lol

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
PartlyCloudlike said:
I will have to agree with the recap a few posts up about the game looking like CG a lot of the time. There is "downtime" like when you're roaming halls and stuff. They couldn't make that look epic like the full scale and detail of everthing else that totally slams you in the face.

And I will say it again, Kratos's ingame model is much more detailed than something like the CG models in FF13. I would put them close to almost any CG character, except Kratos is all real time. And the MLAA, it really looks super smooth. Damn.

YYZ

Anyone notice that the loading screens after dying are so much longer than before? I guess we were spoiled with the PS2 versions (they were pretty instant in loading). Minor complaint.

Animator said:
That is actually one of the "humane" finishers compared to some of the shit you will see later. :lol

I can believe it. But you know, I felt sort pang of remorse...

Poseidon was the first god to give Kratos powers in GOW so it felt sort of special. Plus his blue electric bolt power was my favorite to use. I always powered that one up to max first....Poseidon and me were like this.

BUT NEITHER MAN NOR GOD WILL STAND IN THE WAY OF MY VENGEANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RavenFox

Banned
Kaching said:
Jumping is a bit borked in this one. There's a few jumps I've encountered already where it just seems to ignore that I double-jumped, unless I start the whole jump a certain distance away from the edge, rather than allowing me to go right to the edge like used to work in the previous games. There's a couple of jumps in Hades in particular which just seem to slap you into the pit below if you don't start the double-jump at just the right place. Infuriating, but at least you can compensate for it.

Other than that, fantastic stuff so far. Love the new grappling moves.

Fletcher said:
So glad this is happening to others. I seriously was just about to go buy a new controller. Hah.

Decarb said:
Oh yes, happened to me too. And I kept thinking the X button on my controller is broken.

Posted this a page back for TTP and so everyone knows . Bud over at Santa Monica
Saito said:
I had this issue as well and it has nothing to do with lag really. I only got to play the game a few weeks before we shipped it and I told everyone I was having that issue with jumping and dying because the double jumped wouldn't kick in.

Basically, they changed the way collision worked for this game. Instead of putting the collision past each ledge (so you would end up falling off) like they did in the other games it seems, they put it right at the edge which causes ankle collision. It took me about half the game to get used to it. What it means is that you basically need to jump early and not run to the edge of a ledge in order to jump or else you will hit that mini-invisible wall. They did that so players wouldn't fall off ledges just by walking toward them. Its a bit counter intuitive for most gamers since most are used to running to edges to jump.

-Saito

To folks who are far along or already finished the game: any recommendations on which weapons I should spend my souls on first? Hades' hooks are rad, but should I wait for something else?

When exactly does the sex scene show up? is there even one?

I just got the
Lion boxing gloves
and I feel like I missed them because I'm a ways into the game already.

Decarb said:
Oh yes, happened to me too. And I kept thinking the X button on my controller is broken.
Yeah my brother was watching me play and when that happened he would tell me that I had to hold X to use the wings and I was all like FUCK YOU THATS WHAT IM DOING GODDAMMIT.

Top Bottom