• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III |OT|

Thrakier

TTP said:
Have yet to finish it, but here are some thoughts after about 8 hrs in on Titan mode.

The
Hercules boss fight
is probably the most epic fight EVAR. OMFG. The music, the action, the chaos. Amazing. Felt ZOE2-ish almost.

Few complains:

- Glitchy double jump at times
- Some odd health chests placement (available when you DON'T need them, unavailable when you DO need them)
- Some frustrating "do it all over again" moments
- Jitter (gives me headache)

That said, it's amazing. The combat system has been improved tremendously thanks to the added moves and items, and the DOF/Motion Blur are godly. The godrays are indeed godly as well. Looks PS4 stuff at times.

And Framerate is not an issue?

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
TTP said:
Have yet to finish it, but here are some thoughts after about 8 hrs in on Titan mode.

The
Hercules boss fight
is probably the most epic fight EVAR. OMFG. The music, the action, the chaos. Amazing. Felt ZOE2-ish almost.

Few complains:

- Some odd health chests placement (available when you DON'T need them, unavailable when you DO need them)

That said, it's amazing. The combat system has been improved tremendously thanks to the added moves and items, and the DOF/Motion Blur are godly. The godrays are indeed godly as well. Looks PS4 stuff at times.

Ive noticed that too...yet other times you die and think you're going to go way back and you dont...you're right where you died. :lol

Regarding Titan mode...overall its not too bad so far. Just be ready to Roll dodge alot, and block!
Poseidon
took me many tries...most of my initial deaths were because i wasnt blocking or rolling at the right time. Overall, its not too bad so far.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Thrakier said:
And Framerate is not an issue?

There is a very thin line here between what you might call framerate issues and jitter issues. I mean, it's not the fluctuations between, say, 60fps and 40fps, that bothers me here, but the consequence of those 40fps, which is jitter. I really need to focus on kratos as he walks around the environment while the camera moves around. If I look at the whole picture, I see the environment jittering, and that hurts my feelings.

It's kinda like the tearing in Uncharted 1. Everything is awesome, but you wish it was not there. I hope next time they get rid of it, just like ND did with tearing in UC2.

RavenFox

Banned
TTP said:

The
Hercules boss fight

Few complains:

Concerning what I bolded. Buddy of mine wrote this on modojo
OutOfTheCube said:
Not just you, I've had this problem too! I don't think it's lag, just the timing and physics of it is different than the last two games, takes some getting used to.
I'm leaning to agree.
UPDATE:
Ok buddy Saito from the GODWIII crew wrote this on modojo
Saito said:
I had this issue as well and it has nothing to do with lag really. I only got to play the game a few weeks before we shipped it and I told everyone I was having that issue with jumping and dying because the double jumped wouldn't kick in.

Basically, they changed the way collision worked for this game. Instead of putting the collision past each ledge (so you would end up falling off) like they did in the other games it seems, they put it right at the edge which causes ankle collision. It took me about half the game to get used to it. What it means is that you basically need to jump early and not run to the edge of a ledge in order to jump or else you will hit that mini-invisible wall. They did that so players wouldn't fall off ledges just by walking toward them. Its a bit counter intuitive for most gamers since most are used to running to edges to jump.

-Saito

sloppyjoe_gamer said:
Ive noticed that too...yet other times you die and think you're going to go way back and you dont...you're right where you died. :lol

Regarding Titan mode...overall its not too bad so far. Just be ready to Roll dodge alot, and block!
Poseidon
took me many tries...most of my initial deaths were because i wasnt blocking or rolling at the right time. Overall, its not too bad so far.
I actually like starting where I die. That's just me.

X-Burner

Banned
SixStringPsycho said:
Ive had the same problem too. Also this game got glitchy at the end for me! When I died when battling Zeus the loading screen got white instead of the usual black, and on two ocassions there were yellow dots all over the screen. That and having cut scenes with hiccups and songs skiping! WTF?!
Dude you just spoiled the game for some people...

beat the game and it was simply AMAZING but the thing I wanna know is why nobody is talking about the
chronos
fight. THAT SH1T WAS EPIC(not that the entire game wasn't but that was at least
posideon
level awesome imo)!!!!!

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Played for about 4 hours last night on hard mode. Kind of regretting the decision because 1) I'm dying plenty even though I thought I was really good at the previous games and 2) You get fewer orbs on hard than normal (right?) and so I don't know whether I'll be able to max everything that I want to on my first playthrough. I didn't think of the orb thing when I chose hard. Might start over on normal.

If I'm disappointed in anything it's the audio mix. Sounds in general seem a little quiet compared to the music, but certain sounds are extremely loud (like the Spartans magic) and it's really annoying. I'm in an apartment and I want to be able to hear my game well without bothering anyone else. This is in stereo mode, btw.

So far I really like the characterization of the Gods and their writing and voicework is considerably better than in previous games for the most part. Unfortunately it also seems considerably better than Kratos' writing and voicework in the present game some of the time.

Shuusui said:
Who does the voice for Hephaestus? Anyone?

Rip Torn, aka Don Geiss from 30 Rock.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
RavenFox said:
Concerning what I bolded. Buddy of mine wrote this on modojo

I'm leaning to agree.

Yeah, the timing might be different, but there are times when it simply appears to not register. Whatever the timing, this shouldn't happen in such a way that it looks like you did it right but you die instead.

RavenFox

Banned
TTP said:
Yeah, the timing might be different, but there are times when it simply appears to not register. Whatever the timing, this shouldn't happen in such a way that it looks like you did it right but you die instead.
I updated my post TTP. Answer right from the source :)

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
X-Burner said:
And you had to quote it and ruin it for me. Thanks!

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
hey_it's_that_dog said:
Played for about 4 hours last night on hard mode. Kind of regretting the decision because 1) I'm dying plenty even though I thought I was really good at the previous games and

Yeah, I died a lot even during the very first boss fight! But I love that. I love having to come up with proper tactics rather than hammering the button rolling away from time to time.

That said, those bat like creatures diving to the ground are A PAIN IN THE ASS. Luckily they become less of a problem once you get
Helios' head

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Those diving minions, the key is to always block. You can't brute force them guys. They are annoying in packs of 2 already but you get them in 3's sometimes and you really have to be on your toes. Your first encounter can be really tedious since there are archers nearby so you have to manage them and the diving guys.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
TTP said:
Yeah, I died a lot even during the very first boss fight! But I love that. I love having to come up with proper tactics rather than hammering the button rolling away from time to time.

That said, those bat like creatures diving to the ground are A PAIN IN THE ASS. Luckily they become less of a problem once you get
Helios' head

I definitely agree that playing on hard forces you to actually learn and appreciate the design of the bosses (and enemies for that matter), but I probably should have saved that for a second playthrough like I did with the other GOWs. I don't like repeating things a lot unless I've decided at the outset that that's what's going to happen. I thought hard mode would ensure that enemies didn't just sit there like dumbasses, but it's also ensuring that I play certain fights a bunch of times. C'est la vie.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
LiquidMetal14 said:
Those diving minions, the key is to always block. You can't brute force them guys. They are annoying in packs of 2 already but you get them in 3's sometimes and you really have to be on your toes. Your first encounter can be really tedious since there are archers nearby so you have to manage them and the diving guys.

Oh I didn't for a second think about blocking those attacks. I always roll away. Good to know! Thanks.

On a side note, I love how they fixed the way you control Helios' head. IIRC, in the demo you had to use the left stick to orientate the thing. In the final game you use the right stick (just like I proposed it should have been back then!) hence allowing you to move around while orientating the thing.

Lunchbox

Banned
X-Burner said:

you knew you were gonna fight "that dude" since 2007........and every trailer has kratos screaming at him......

how is that spoiling?

"the heroes gonna fight the big baddy"......omg spoiler!!!!! you people need to get a grip. im not any where near the end, that didnt spoil anything for me

gcubed

so i must say, i finished 1 and 2 recently on hard, picked hard on 3, and MAN, you actually need to pay attention, use all your weapons and have a strategy on hard.

Zeliard

MYE said:
Only criticism i've been hearing so far is about the story.

Getting a bit worried about that, to be honest.

The story is nothing special but there are only so many ways to tell the story of an angry mortal who stomps all over various gods on his way up to Zeus. I'm glad the game isn't shackled with unnecessary exposition or complexity. Kratos is a simple man with a very straightforward motivation: vengeance. It's shallow by its very definition, and it allows the game to play to its strengths.

My biggest problem with the game is Kratos' voice actor. I'm sorry, but the guy does not sound convincing at all to me. He just sounds like he's reading off lines in a loud growl, and literally every word he says is with the same tone and volume. Shame when the rest of the voice acting is so good.

Kratos' voice acting just comes off as over-the-top and cheesy. Fortunately, his physical presence is striking and the way he moves around and fucks people up is beautifully animated. And he doesn't speak up all that much.

Violater

hey_it's_that_dog said:
If I'm disappointed in anything it's the audio mix. Sounds in general seem a little quiet compared to the music, but certain sounds are extremely loud (like the Spartans magic) and it's really annoying. I'm in an apartment and I want to be able to hear my game well without bothering anyone else. This is in stereo mode, btw.

Having the same issue, the normal attacks just don't seem to have the overall punch I will have to compare it to the demo later. But for some reason I though the demo sounded better.

RavenFox

Banned
My friend sent this to me by way of email lastnight. I figured I share:lol . I think he's beeen Kratofied:lol
Maaaan Kratos is going to spill blood all over my samsung. Time to put the kiddies to bed and let the titans count the dead for Kratos is going to shed the blood of thousands until all the gods R dead

Firewire

Banned
For those wondering, this is how level difficulty levels affect the game.

Kratos Damage Output
Spartan (Easy) 200%
God (Normal) 100%
Titan (Hard) 100%
Chaos (Very Hard) 75%

Enemy Damage Output
Spartan (Easy) 50%
God (Normal) 100%
Titan (Hard) 250%
Chaos (Very Hard) 500%

Health Orb Worth
Spartan (Easy) 150%
God (Normal) 100%
Titan (Hard) 75%
Chaos (Very Hard) 25%

Magic Orb Worth
Spartan (Easy) 150%
God (Normal) 100%
Titan (Hard) 75%
Chaos (Very Hard) 25%

Titan Orb Worth
Spartan (Easy) 150%
God (Normal) 100%
Titan (Hard) 75%
Chaos (Very Hard) 25%

Red Orb Worth
Spartan (Easy) 150%
God (Normal) 100%
Titan (Hard) 100%
Chaos (Very Hard) 75%

Enemy Aggression
Spartan (Easy) Normal
God (Normal) Normal
Titan (Hard) Doubled
Chaos (Very Hard) Merciless

Enemy Recovery Rate
Spartan (Easy) 200%
God (Normal) 100%
Titan (Hard) 50%
Chaos (Very Hard) Immediate

*Magic cost is 25% cheaper and the Rage of Sparta meter drain is 25% slower on Spartan (Easy) only.

Filldough

TTP said:

The
Hercules boss fight

Few complains:

Motion blur when using
Hermes' Sandals
is nothing short of amazing. Frustrating "Do it all over" moments are a staple of the series haha. I agree with your statement on the
Hercules fight
as well. Beat him last night, holy shit... I actually started to get uncomfortable
when you're bashing his face in with the Cestus!
Holy fuck! The brutality is refreshing and perverse! Can't wait to go back and play more... work is really dull compared to life as the Ghost of Sparta.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Firewire said:

STATS

Thank you, this is very helpful! Guess I'm getting 100% experience orbs on hard mode, so I will persevere. As for enemy damage output, it seems a lot more variable than in the previous games. Some attacks do major damage, but others still only take a sliver off the health bar. Is it really just an across the board increase of 250% for all enemy attacks on hard mode?

X-Burner said:
Thats a spoil? If youve played the past 2 games they arent! I mean isnt that what YOU were expecting and wanted to do in the game and what Kratos was meant to do? Revealing whats going to happen after that is a spoiler junior!

hey_it's_that_dog said:
Played for about 4 hours last night on hard mode. Kind of regretting the decision because 1) I'm dying plenty even though I thought I was really good at the previous games and 2) You get fewer orbs on hard than normal (right?) and so I don't know whether I'll be able to max everything that I want to on my first playthrough. I didn't think of the orb thing when I chose hard. Might start over on normal.

Firewire said:
Red Orb Worth
Spartan (Easy) 150%
God (Normal) 100%
Titan (Hard) 100%
Chaos (Very Hard) 75%
*Magic cost is 25% cheaper and the Rage of Sparta meter drain is 25% slower on Spartan (Easy) only.
You (and me) are in luck. Red orb output is 100% for Titan mode. I also died like 20 times when fighting Poseidon :lol

Filldough

LiquidMetal14 said:

Are these the bat creatures that you can just L1+O to death? Cause you can basically spam that attack and never hit the ground while you jump from bat to bad de-winging them in glorious bloody fashion. Might be different on hard, I'm playing first playthru on normal.

gcubed

RustyNails said:
You (and me) are in luck. Red orb output is 100% for Titan mode. I also died like 20 times when fighting Poseidon :lol

yeah, i died a bunch with poseidon, its definitely a good slap in the face to make you realize this isn't your momma's GOW difficulty

Lunchbox said:
you knew you were gonna fight "that dude" since 2007........and every trailer has kratos screaming at him......

how is that spoiling?

"the heroes gonna fight the big baddy"......omg spoiler!!!!! you people need to get a grip. im not any where near the end, that didnt spoil anything for me
At last someone who isnt from gamefaqs understand! Thank you

RustyNails said:

I do not feel as bad for dying at during the Poseidon fight so much on hard.

Firewire

Banned
hey_it's_that_dog said:
Thank you, this is very helpful! Guess I'm getting 100% experience orbs on hard mode, so I will persevere. As for enemy damage output, it seems a lot more variable than in the previous games. Some attacks do major damage, but others still only take a sliver off the health bar. Is it really just an across the board increase of 250% for all enemy attacks on hard mode?

I would guess not. If an enemy throws a combo move at you and misses you on some of it, the damage factor I would assume would be broken down. I need to play the game more to figure out the exact breakdown on damage and how it plays out in regards to the health meter. But the info I listed was from the fairly lame Brady guide that they gave me for some reason when I picked up the game yesterday.

Kagari said:
FUCK THIS ROOM WITH THE SPIKED FLOOR.
:lol
I was screaming and arguing Ninja Gaiden style too on that part! But then I got the hang of it!
Try getting the minotaurs stepping on the spikes when you see the smoke. When the whole floors getting the spike time the clock ticking and then grab the bird and wait for the cube to turn. Repeat the same on the other floor and voilá youre one step closer to Zeus!

Fletcher

Once finished there's a New Game+, right? I remember seeing
sparkly dust clouds
but I didn't have
Helio's head
then.

Y2Kev said:
Wow the ending was kind of shocking.

10/10. not game OF the future, game FROM the future.
It was shocking, but what surprised me the most was Kratos kindness to give next generations humanity the gift of Hope and that made me happy. what I find very frustrating was walking in the shadows and then swimming when all I wanted was to kill and finish Zeus once and for all. But overall a great and touching ending

Violater

Fletcher said:
sparkly dust clouds
but I didn't have
Helio's head
then.
Was wondering the same thing last night, hopefully we will be able to, bc I am not backtracking :lol

Fletcher said:
sparkly dust clouds
but I didn't have
Helio's head
then.
I dont think you can trasfer items you get in the story over to the game ala Ninja Gaiden but
Hades helmet, hephastaus ring, hercules armor and etc yes.

kaching said:
Jumping is a bit borked in this one. There's a few jumps I've encountered already where it just seems to ignore that I double-jumped, unless I start the whole jump a certain distance away from the edge, rather than allowing me to go right to the edge like used to work in the previous games. There's a couple of jumps in Hades in particular which just seem to slap you into the pit below if you don't start the double-jump at just the right place. Infuriating, but at least you can compensate for it.

Other than that, fantastic stuff so far. Love the new grappling moves.

Oh yes, happened to me too. And I kept thinking the X button on my controller is broken.

Fletcher

Decarb said:
Oh yes, happened to me too. And I kept thinking the X button on my controller is broken.

So glad this is happening to others. I seriously was just about to go buy a new controller. Hah.

KAOz

Short bus special
Fletcher said:
sparkly dust clouds
but I didn't have
Helio's head
then.

Nope, no New Game+ at all. But trust me, and don't worry about them.

Fletcher said:
So glad this is happening to others. I seriously was just about to go buy a new controller. Hah.

I haven't faced jumping problem but my brother did alot, especially in the beginning. There are also quite a handful of glitches in the game. Not as glitch-free as previous games, I guess...

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Filldough said:
Are these the bat creatures that you can just L1+O to death? Cause you can basically spam that attack and never hit the ground while you jump from bat to bad de-winging them in glorious bloody fashion. Might be different on hard, I'm playing first playthru on normal.
You can do that but must work their health down first. You could use that as part of your strategy for taking them on though. Blocking is pretty key though. Dogding is must since you have to pull yourself from being cornerd but blocking will always save you.

shagg_187 said:
I haven't faced jumping problem but my brother did alot, especially in the beginning. There are also quite a handful of glitches in the game. Not as glitch-free as previous games, I guess...
The jumping is YMMV it seems. It's the timing.

This game......after one hour of unparrelled spectacle, almost brings a tear in my eye. Playing this other than Titan mode for the first time is a huge disservice to the God of War experience. Must eat fast and go back into the bloodshed....

Top Bottom