• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III |OT|

YYZ said:
I don't mean to be all autofellating, but is hrad mode not that hard? I didn't even touch normal because I thought it would be too easy. I got my butt kicked by the water tentacle monsters at first, but quickly became acclimated to the requirements and now it's okay. Someone opined that the
Hercules
fight is impossible, but I found it fairly easy. Died once or twice I think. I have beaten the other games on the hardest difficulty though. There's no fights besides
Hades
that really tested my actual combat skills too much so far.

I haven't gotten to the parts where people are saying it's actually incredibly difficult though. Last boss I beat was the biggest so far, not to spoil.
I thought I would really struggle with Hard mode, but I'm actually doing pretty well. I think it's only offered to switch to Easy mode 2 or 3 times so far. :lol

I think the other weapons in the game are more useful than in I and II and I think you need to try different weapons/strategies than just spamming [] and ^.

The Chef

rhino4evr said:
So is anyone disappointed?

I am only to
hades
But I cant imagine anyone could be disappointed by this game.
It is staggeringly beautiful with some of the most epic music and scenarios I have ever seen
in a game. The combat feels more fluid than ever before and my god the opening the OPENING!

I didn't think I would be that blown away by a intro since UC2 but my goodness what a way to start the game.

Some off-screens I took of Level 2

rtjbdi.jpg

2akd7pf.jpg

2r20xs3.jpg

Monocle

Y2Kev said:
The worst enemies in GoW history remain those stupid pieces of shit with the claws that dive underground. They come up too rarely and they made that AWFUL noise in GoW1. FIGHT LIKE MEN
Use grapple. Yanks them straight out of the dirt.

Unless you're a trophy whore, Normal really is the perfect difficulty for the game. Hard mode has some frustrations that really ought to be reserved for Very Hard difficulty, and Easy Mode turns it into too much of a breeze to be at all fun and will seriously dull the impact of the game.

zoukka

Tom Penny said:
I'm disappointed in his wings. Mabye I just suck with them but I fall in pits on the easiest jumps sometimes because his wings don't open

Hmm I've heard that from multiple people actually. The buttons be pressure sensitive in GoW??

Ainigma

Neo Member
Katana_Strikes said:
Well whatever they use it better by darn fast. I was at least hoping it would arrive a day early, like most online shops, but Friday might be pushing it at this rate...

I'm sure that it's being sent Parcel Force 24, so that means Friday, that and the fact the Ultimate Edition might not be worth it (plastic box, downloadable soundtrack, disappointing art book) doesn't make it any easier.....

YYZ

CrayzeeCarl said:
I thought I would really struggle with Hard mode, but I'm actually doing pretty well. I think it's only offered to switch to Easy mode 2 or 3 times so far. :lol

I think the other weapons in the game are more useful than in I and II and I think you need to try different weapons/strategies than just spamming [] and ^.
I've upgraded the blades to max and seem to be doing fine. I do use square, square, triangle A LOT. I also love the triple triangle move, but it's slow so you have to be smart about it. I'll upgrade the hooks next because I haven't given them a chance and I've read that it has some great moves.

Does everyone know how to roll cancel? Maybe that would make some fights easier too.

george_us

My only real gripe with the game is that the puzzles aren't as good as they were in God of War II (but still better than God of War I). The massively improved combat helps offset that though so I suspect that the team wanted a more combat focused game this time around. Still having a blast with it.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'm enjoying the game more now. Beat Hades last night, and I'm dying to play more. The combat still feels really shallow in comparison to Bayonetta and DMC, but it's loads of fun.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Nevermind Jim! I did it! I did it!!! That was hard as fuck!

Now instead you can tell me how to defeat
IS SYPHON FILTER REAL

;)

Monocle

MYE said:
Only criticism i've been hearing so far is about the story.

Getting a bit worried about that, to be honest.
I think the story is pretty strong for an action game. Certainly as good as that of GOW and GOW2. The ending is the only part some people might have an issue with. I found it satisfying and well done myself.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Guess I'm progressing faster than expected: I just defeated
Hermes

Kinda sad that Hermes and Helios didn't put up a fight much, at least Hades and Poseidon did

Jim

Ok, so my strategy for the
Fire Cerebus
on Titan (hard). He was probably the hardest of all the bosses IMO, the second being
Zeus' final form

Anyway...

Form 1 (Cerebus + firehounds) - It's easy... you should be able to get by w/o getting hit. I used a triangle x 2 into a HOLD square combo frequently, and rolled back/air dashed when he used the air fireball attack, and parried when he moved around and swiped at me. Just hit him with whatever strong combos you have that aren't too time consuming, so you have time to get out of the way. Kick the hounds at him if they bother you. DON'T use magic. Use the chains. Be patient here.

Form 2 (Cerebus + 1 Satyr) - Jump and do some good triangle combos in air, get some quick hits on the Cerebus... when the Satyr gets near, use magic to hit the cerebus and him (which juggles him and pushes him away), and get in some quick combos, and repeat. It's really easy to out-manuever the Satyr, just dash to the opposite side of the cerebus and he'll sometimes hang back. If the cerebus leaves you alone for a few seconds, you can grab the Satyr and beat on him, but the damn hounds sometime interrupt it. The use of the phallanx magic and a few cheap hits should take him out as you beat on the cerebus. Save at least 2 more shots of magic for form 3.

Form 3 (Cerebus + 2 Satyrs) - Same thing, get a strong combo in right away then unleash the magic when the Satyrs close in (jumping in close and doing it in the air helps), another strong combo, magic again, and a few more hits should give you the final QTE prompt. If you're out of magic, do the triangle air combos when they get in too close, with or w/o L1. Be aggressive here.

Totally just popping in to say this game is blowing my frickin' mind. That is all. (Just got done with most of the stuff that was reworked from the demo...)

Oh yeah, and Titan is pretty damn tough!

Firewire

Banned
Kicking the shit out of Hades last night was so awesome.

He got me all hawt and bothered speaking to me in that low groaning voice. :lol

Firewire said:

That's the last thing I did before I saved and called it a night. I could have easily stayed up till 4am, as I had no clue I played for well over 3 hours straight. :lol

ScOULaris

I only got a chance to play for about an hour last night, and I wasn't feeling well at the time. Since I think feeling like crap made it harder to enjoy the intro, I plan on re-playing the opening scene when I get home today before reloading my save and kicking some Hades ass.

The intro was really cool, but having a throbbing migraine lessened the impact for me. Has that ever happened to anyone else?

Violater

Firewire said:

Carving out
his flesh and then playing keep away was awesome
:lol

Monocle

badcrumble said:
Unless you're a trophy whore, Normal really is the perfect difficulty for the game. Hard mode has some frustrations that really ought to be reserved for Very Hard difficulty, and Easy Mode turns it into too much of a breeze to be at all fun and will seriously dull the impact of the game.
In my experience, that's an accurate description of the previous GOW games too.

Violater said:
Such a welcomed ability, they used to be such a pain in the ass.
Weren't they though? I couldn't stand the bastards. It's a shame the grapple ability didn't show up until the third game in the series.

Violater said:
Carving out
The whole fight is fucking cool.

Rez said:
I'm so addicted to FFXIII. To buy this tomorrow and play it relatively quickly, and then get back to FFXIII, or to wait until I finish FFXIII... hmm.

That is what I'm doing. I'll go back to FFXIII on Saturday.

ScOULaris

Tom Penny said:
I'm disappointed in his wings. Mabye I just suck with them but I fall in pits on the easiest jumps sometimes because his wings don't open :lol

I have also suffered some unnecessary deaths as a result of the fickle double-jump/wings controls. It's not that the controls aren't responsive enough, it's just that it feels different that what I am used to.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
This skin voucher website is annoying the crap out of me. I entered my Phantom of Chaos code the other day and my connection to the server was lost when I submit it. I couldn't get back onto the site until today and now it won't let me redeem my code. Why didn't they just make it a PSN code?

Smokey

Got past the second boss last night (2nd boss name here ->
Hades
before saving. Game doesn't really do anything differently from previous entries which is fine. The presentation and everything though...man. Good shit. My g/f was watching me play it (she likes Kratos and his voice :lol ) and she kept saying "oh my god", or "that is nasty" at the sheer brutality of Kratos.

A couple times when playing I'd look over at her after finishing off an enemy in a brutal fashion and she had that look like..tha fuck did I just watch:lol. Can't wait to get to the part from the E3 demo where the head gets ripped off:lol

Firewire

Banned
Violater said:
Carving out

He was a pretty awesome boss battle, but f'n hard on Titan. Can't wait to play him again on an even harder difficulty.

ScOULaris said:
I have also suffered some unnecessary deaths as a result of the fickle double-jump/wings controls. It's not that the controls aren't responsive enough, it's just that it feels different that what I am used to.

Yeah, I had the same problem a lot initially; it comes from wanting to press the X button one time more than you need to. Tab X to jump once, and then hold it.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Anyone else have the sound drop out completely after pausing the game? It's happened to me twice now.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Only got to play a little bit last night. Girl wants to go out tonight and I have to meet a bunch of her family. I shall be ready to slaughter countless monsters on my return home I am sure :lol

Got my Ultimate Trilogy "rip-off" Edition. The Pandora Box is small, the extras (postcards, OSTs..) are meh and the game included is the regular edition WTF.

Great game anyway :D

ShinAmano

So yeah played the first boss battle on hardest setting available for first run...lets just say I died a few times...holy hell.

Edit: Also picked it up from Toys R Us yesterday and had to laugh when the girl read the rating and its contents to me before purchase.

Tonza

Just beat
Hades

Pretty awesome game. Though I don't like the fact that I had to load previous save because I climbed a wall up and couldn't backtrack to check out the other path. (which held a gorgon eye if I remember correctly)

Tonza said:
Just beat
Hades

Pretty awesome game. Though I don't like the fact that I had to load previous save because I climbed a wall up and couldn't backtrack to check out the other path. (which held a gorgon eye if I remember correctly)

That boss battle was fucking amazing.

LiquidMetal14 said:
For about 2 seconds after a long pause.
Ive had the same problem too. Also this game got glitchy at the end for me! When I died when battling Zeus the loading screen got white instead of the usual black, and on two ocassions there were yellow dots all over the screen. That and having cut scenes with hiccups and songs skiping! WTF?!

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Have yet to finish it, but here are some thoughts after about 8 hrs in on Titan mode.

The
Hercules boss fight
is probably the most epic fight EVAR. OMFG. The music, the action, the chaos. Amazing. Felt ZOE2-ish almost.

Few complains:

- Glitchy double jump at times
- Some odd health chests placement (available when you DON'T need them, unavailable when you DO need them)
- Some frustrating "do it all over again" moments
- Jitter (gives me headache)

That said, it's amazing. The combat system has been improved tremendously thanks to the added moves and items, and the DOF/Motion Blur are godly. The godrays are indeed godly as well. Looks PS4 stuff at times.

Top Bottom