• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III |OT|

ukas

I only had a chance to play for a couple of hours last night and have a quick question regarding the story.

When Gaia says that Kratos has just been a tool for their revenge and lets him fall into the River Styx, why isn't Kratos ready to rage on the Titans since they used him? I understand that they want to take down Zeus as well but, you would think Kratos would be ready to rage on them for screwing with him.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
ukas said:
I only had a chance to play for a couple of hours last night and have a quick question regarding the story.

When Gaia says that Kratos has just been a tool for their revenge and lets him fall into the River Styx, why isn't Kratos ready to rage on the Titans since they used him? I understand that they want to take down Zeus as well but, you would think Kratos would be ready to rage on them for screwing with him.
he....is. you'll see :)

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Ok...
I found Aphrodite and did it

Does that mean...
Am I near finishing the game? Coz I haven't even got that much Horns/Gorgon Eyes, I was only able to level up my life and skill bar once only

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
ULTROS! said:
Ok...

Does that mean...
Am I near finishing the game? Coz I haven't even got that much Horns/Gorgon Eyes, I was only able to level up my life and skill bar once only
I was in a similar position. There is a lot more exploration and chests in the last third of the game. You may not be able to max out, can't remember exactly where I was there, but you'll probably get pretty close if you look carefully.

Filldough

ukas said:

Without saying too much
From what I'm seeing (and I'm only about half way thru) Kratos has basically said fuck everyone. I had a part where I attacked Gaia, it wasn't really a boss fight but I think it shows that Kratos is basically going to (or willing to) destroy everything in his quest for revenge.
I could be completely wrong though since I haven't finished.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Someone was mentioning how you should tweak the display settings for GoWIII to get the best picture. Were they talking in game or for the PS3?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
GuardianE said:
Someone was mentioning how you should tweak the display settings for GoWIII to get the best picture. Were they talking in game or for the PS3?
They probably meant the in game brightness. If your TV is set up properly the default is perfect.

Filldough

FleckSplat said:
"Fight this group of enemies again" doesn't bother me too much, but when the game gives you a checkpoint a minute before the fight triggers, making you re-open chests 2, 3 and 4 times, that's stupid. Also, segmenting bosses/hard enemies into stages, then failing to use checkpoints pisses me off. Many times I've cleaned the enemies' clocks in stage 1/2, then got owned in 3. Guess what, you have to do 1/2 over again! Goodie.

I love the game otherwise.

Trust me, not defending their "do it over" policy in any way. In fact thats one of the things that drives me nuts about the series. In 2 there's a sequence where
you have to pull a switch to lower a spiked floor, remove an artifact from a body draped over a handle which uses up the time allowed for the floor spikes, so after that, you activate the lever again, then break a wall to expose a gem to slow time, then activate switch a third time to spin a lever that opens a door down a hall with the spiked floor, which you then have to activate the lever a final time, freeze time so you can make it down the hallway before the spikes trigger. I died way too many times, frustrations galore and the best part is having to pull that asshat off the fucking lever every fucking time!! Icing on the cake though is when you're asked if you need to change to easy mode (only combat will be effected).

In other words, I feel your pain, but its just par for the course unfortunately. I guess they want some rage from the player to help connect you to the rage of Kratos :lol

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
RoboPlato said:
They probably meant the in game brightness. If your TV is set up properly the default is perfect.

I think it had to do with screen size or something.

Regarding the brightness, I actually had to set mine all the way down... Even then, I couldn't discern some of the colored bars on the right side. Not sure why that is. Did I just totally mess something up? :lol

SixStringPsycho said:
It was shocking, but what surprised me the most was Kratos kindness to give next generations humanity the gift of Hope and that made me happy. what I find very frustrating was walking in the shadows and then swimming when all I wanted was to kill and finish Zeus once and for all. But overall a great and touching ending
MORE ENDING SPOILERS IN THE QUOTE AND MY REPLY

I don't think it was kindness at all. It was a final FUCK YOU to Athena for again using him as a pawn.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
RoboPlato said:
I was in a similar position. There is a lot more exploration and chests in the last third of the game. You may not be able to max out, can't remember exactly where I was there, but you'll probably get pretty close if you look carefully.

Thanks, glad to think that I didn't miss out all the treasures. :D

GuardianE said:
In game the game prompts you before starting!
Omg I just told a spoilar! No one knew that happened!!!!! To those crying for knowing bout the final boss, Go masturbate to the lubricant of your own tears!
ok to highlight

TheDiabolical

I didn't read my own avatar and now everyone knows I'm not too bright. :(
never played any of GoW games so this is my first one.......all i can say is i haven't mashed buttons this much in long time. not that enjoyable either...the mashing buttons part.

right now im stuck on the Trials of Hades or whatever its called.

this game looks friggin awesome but i think gameplay is going to cause me to burn out on it and never finish it.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Jim said:
I didn't have problems after I realized that the wings don't come out until after you double jump. So the 3rd button press.

So X (jump off the ground), X (double jump) then X again (and hold).
It was not like that in the demo though. it was:

So X (jump off the ground), X (hold) = wings in the demo.

If you don't hold X the second time, it's just double jump.

Dogenzaka

Banned
Why does Olympus use so many portals? It's kind of dumb.

never played any of GoW games so this is my first one.......all i can say is i haven't mashed buttons this much in long time. not that enjoyable either...the mashing buttons part.

this game looks friggin awesome but i think gameplay is going to cause me to burn out on it and never finish it.

I'd say it's possible you don't like it because you didn't play the first two.
I played half of God of War 2, and the God of War 3 demo and really hated the series. I found the combat dumb and the entire flow pretty repetitive.

Then I bought the GoW Collection, played the first two games and their cohesive nature and playing it from beginning to end really gave me an appreciation for the context of the combat and the flow of the game. Suddenly it became my favorite action-adventure franchise.

You really shouldn't have skipped out on the first two games.

The Chef

TheDiabolical said:

Mashing Buttons? Who mashes buttons in GOW? Or are you talking about rapidly hitting O for a finisher? God of War isn't Bayonetta or DMC but its definitely not a game you can get through button mashing.

Nafai1123

Banned
Quick question

Just beat Hades. Is there a way to reach the portal in the Forge room? I couldn't figure it out and ended up leaving through the other way. I left Hades, but I thought there would be some more stuff to do there (weird blue rocks behind those statues heads or whatever).

KB24

Nafai1123 said:
Quick question

Just beat Hades. Is there a way to reach the portal in the Forge room? I couldn't figure it out and ended up leaving through the other way. I left Hades, but I thought there would be some more stuff to do there (weird blue rocks behind those statues heads or whatever).

No. Not at that time at least.

Dogenzaka

Banned
Nafai1123 said:
Quick question

You will come back to that room naturally quite a few times in your adventure.

Weeman0313

Neo Member
has the camera angles played hell on anyone else? on 2 different occasions i would make a long jump and the camera would ROTATE and i would completely miss the ledge i was aiming for. also i found a rather funny glitch where kratos tried climbing a gear
right before you get apollo's bow
and fell through the floor and died.

Lord Error said:
It was not like that in the demo though. it was:

So X (jump off the ground), X (hold) = wings in the demo.

If you don't hold X the second time, it's just double jump.
Yep, that's how it works in the full game.

X = Jump, X+X(Hold) = Glide.

I kept messing this up at first because I thought it was 3 button presses too, and that's what'll get you killed. Its just X, release and then hold X. Works every time.

Salz01

How many hours in, does the demo section occur? Just so I know how to gauge at what point in my play through im at. Sorry if its been posted, I couldnt find it.

Jim

ULTROS! said:
Ok...

Does that mean...

Well,
once you get Helios' head, there are quite a lot of hidden chests around. In the open (look for sparkles/hazy effect), and even less obvious ones behind walls. I was completely full quite a bit before the end, and still kept finding more and they give a ton of Red Orbs instead.

Lyonaz

Played till the part where the demo ends.

Man the bossfights are fucking EPIC so far. Holy Shit at fighting
Hades

Also kicking hellhounds into other enemies is so satisfying! :D

The Chef said:
Mashing Buttons? Who mashes buttons in GOW? Or are you talking about rapidly hitting O for a finisher? God of War isn't Bayonetta or DMC but its definitely not a game you can get through button mashing.

Firstly, he is wrong.

Secondly, you are wrong.

Edit: Missread you, now I feel like an ass. GOD DAMMIT!

JaxJag

Banned
Is Rip Torn one of the voice actors in God of War III?

I'm pretty sure I heard him as
that big guy you come across in hell that's forging weapons, I don't recall his name.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
TheDiabolical said:

Learn to play. Seriously. Take your thumbs and stop them from randomly pressing on buttons. Use your weapons outside of combat and recognize the strength and range of certain attacks. Of course you're not going to have fun if you don't know how to play.

ukas said:

I suppose you were on a media blackout, including the E3 demo :D

Also I just got to the giant hammer dudes. This hard difficulty is pretty much Titan mode from GoW 2 lol. I shudder at Chaos mode. Also, can someone make a gif of
Kratos killing a medusa? It is so frickin brutal!

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
The Chef said:
Thanks. I was afraid I missed something.

I can be wrong often so your going to have to elaborate.

I think he means that you CAN get through GoWIII on normal by button mashing. You just won't have any fun doing it. It's certainly not the most efficient way of doing anything.

EDIT: He edited, so clearly I misunderstood him.

Dogenzaka

Banned
I'm still stuck on the same stupid part as last night that I tried for four hours. It's so fucking stupid. I have all my weapons and health/magic upgraded and it is pretty much impossible to take on
one of those stupid pole dancers and the giant fire cerberus at once. Not only that, they give you THREE pole dancers, but I luckily took two out with Gorgon Flash. But I still can't take on that last one with that stupid Cerberus. Any one of their hits can take me out in two tries.

Fucking game!

I have to be doing something wrong. I flew by the levels in Hard Mode in GoW1-GoW3 up until this very moment.

Weeman0313

Neo Member
Fimbulvetr said:
Probably. How far are you in XIII?

If you're really close to the beginning you can just save it for later.

just about to fight the fal'cie in the tower before reaching the town, im praying i'll be able to visit that plateau from when i first arrived once i hit civilization and i'm not forced to continue going forward.
think i should beat my run first or gun through GoW?

Animator

Dogenzaka said:
I'm still stuck on the same stupid part as last night that I tried for four hours. It's so fucking stupid. I have all my weapons and health/magic upgraded and it is pretty much impossible to take on
one of those stupid pole dancers and the giant fire cerberus at once. Not only that, they give you THREE pole dancers, but I luckily took two out with Gorgon Flash. But I still can't take on that last one with that stupid Cerberus. Any one of their hits can take me out in two tries.

Fucking game!

I have to be doing something wrong. I flew by the levels in Hard Mode in GoW1-GoW3 up until this very moment.

I am at that spot right now and share your sentiment. I am about to break the damn controller after doing a near perfect run in phase 1 and missing both gorgon flashes afterwards. I am quite sure the game is impossible to beat in chaos mode because of this battle alone. Fuck the stupid game designer who made this battle. hope he gets fired.

Team Klimt said:
To folks who are far along or already finished the game: any recommendations on which weapons I should spend my souls on first?
Hades' hooks
are rad, but should I wait for something else?

Wait for the third weapon. It's the most useful imo.

Dogenzaka

Banned
Animator said:
I am at that spot right now and share your sentiment. I am about to break the damn controller after doing a near perfect run in phase 1 and missing both gorgon flashes afterwards. I am quite sure the game is impossible to beat in chaos mode because of this battle alone. Fuck the stupid game designer who made this battle. hope he gets fired.

Seriously. It took me hours of training to be able to finally get past phase 1 and finally beat phase 2 with most of my health....but then phase 3 comes along and I'm knocked out within less than half a minute because
I can only kill one of those pole dancers...>:l

I think I'm going to tear my controller in half.

I would need video proof to believe anyone can pass this battle in Chaos Mode.

Paznos

Fimbulvetr said:
Probably. How far are you in XIII?

If you're really close to the beginning you can just save it for later.
I'm currently halfway through Chapter 11.

Weeman0313 said:
just about to fight the fal'cie in the tower before reaching the town, im praying i'll be able to visit that plateau from when i first arrived once i hit civilization and i'm not forced to continue going forward.
lol same spot :)

Weeman0313 said:

By the town, do you mean
Oerba
?

If so, I think you're far enough that you should just beat XIII first before committing to any other game.

Top Bottom