• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III |OT|

DiddyBop

At first i thought this game would not be able to match the epic boss fights of bayonetta...but i just beat
cronos
and holy fuck! the graphics are so clean and full of colour also, and i love how the secondary weapons are actually useful and fun. I also love how no one is spared in Kratos' quest for revenge,hes friggin
pretty much annihilating any and everyone he meets
:lol

The Chef

Some other off-screens I couldn't help but take:

Past the second lvl.
Minor Spoilers

23r4mr5.jpg

24ou151.jpg

Dogenzaka said:
Why is Kratos such a moron.

Also,
Athena's
voice actor in GoW3 sucks. :(

(General observations about GoW3 so far)
The entire world is falling apart from killing the gods, just as Athena said. Yet he continues his stupid quest for vengeance. What's he going to do after he kills Zeus and the world turns into a primordial ooze? He'll die alone, but at least he'll have his vengeance? :l

Also I still don't understand the psychology behind Athena in GoW3 suddenly going "I thought about it, and you're right, let's kill Zeus." after she was so adamant about wanting to protect him.
Regarding your first point,
yeah that's the point of Kratos. Pure "I don't give a fuck what happens" rage. For me, that's what the character has been built up to. Not caring about ANYTHING except his revenge.

Dogenzaka said:
Why is Kratos such a moron.

Also,
Athena's
voice actor in GoW3 sucks. :(

(General observations about GoW3 so far)
The entire world is falling apart from killing the gods, just as Athena said. Yet he continues his stupid quest for vengeance. What's he going to do after he kills Zeus and the world turns into a primordial ooze? He'll die alone, but at least he'll have his vengeance? :l

Also I still don't understand the psychology behind Athena in GoW3 suddenly going "I thought about it, and you're right, let's kill Zeus." after she was so adamant about wanting to protect him.

Please don't remind me about the plot holes, I'm just here to enjoy the violence.

But if you really want to get into it: 1) If killing gods causes their field of expertise to go out of control how can anybody be born or die anymore? After all the sisters of fate are done. 2) How come Atlas isn't there? Since Kratos brought the Titans from the past that would mean he wouldn't be around for Chains of Olympus. 3) Why does Athena become a ghost instead of going to the underworld? Her explanation is total bull."Oh, cuz I died for my father lol." 4) Why does death even matter to anybody who's friends with Hades? Just bring your own wife back or bury her you idiot, that goes for anybody on his side before his death.

*sigh* Okay, back to the violence.

Dogenzaka

Banned
DiddyBop said:
At first i thought this game would not be able to match the epic boss fights of bayonetta...but i just beat
cronos
and holy fuck! the graphics are so clean and full of colour also, and i love how the secondary weapons are actually useful and fun. I also love how no one is spared in Kratos' quest for revenge,hes friggin
pretty much annihilating any and everyone he meets
:lol

If anyone is wondering about just how useful the new weapons are, I haven't used the Blades of Chaos since the first hour of the game. Everything else is just that good.

I'm on the final boss fight and I'm curious as what to do
Do I beat on Gaia's heart or on Zeus? Or on both? :eek:

Fimbulvetr said:
Please don't remind me about the plot holes, I'm just here to enjoy the violence.

But if you really want to get into it: 1) If killing gods causes their field of expertise to go out of control how can anybody be born or die anymore? After all the sisters of fate are done. 2) How come Atlas isn't there? Since Kratos brought the Titans from the past that would mean he wouldn't be around for Chains of Olympus. 3) Why does Athena become a ghost instead of going to the underworld? Her explanation is total bull."Oh, cuz I died for my father lol." 4) Why does death even matter to anybody who's friends with Hades? Just bring your own wife back or bury her you idiot, that goes for anybody on his side before his death.

*sigh* Okay, back to the violence.

Lmfao yeah.
Well I know that
if Atlas dropped the Earth..the Earth would freefall in the universe forever, I suppose? So he can't do that

Dogenzaka said:
If anyone is wondering about just how useful the new weapons are, I haven't used the Blades of Chaos since the first hour of the game. Everything else is just that good.

You beat on Zeus, when Gaia's heart starts to glow you beat on it before Zeus can. Whoever beats it up first gets their health restored.

Dogenzaka said:
Lmfao yeah.
Well I know that
if Atlas dropped the Earth..the Earth would freefall in the universe forever, I suppose? So he can't do that

The war between the Titans and the Olympians too place long before Atlas was forced to hold up the world.

Jtones

Banned
Tom Penny said:
I think IGN's 8.5 for presentation is rather questionable for this game.

Damn, 8.5? That's waaay too low. I mean look at Kratos, I haven't seen a character that detailed since Uncharted 2. And most of the areas are beautiful.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Jtones said:
Damn, 8.5? That's waaay too low. I mean look at Kratos, I haven't seen a character that detailed since Uncharted 2. And most of the areas are beautiful.

logic doesnt work with arbitrary scoring systems,

8.5 in presentation? Why not 8.7? or 8.2, or 9.3 ? 1 to 10 is bad enough but 1-100 just makes me wanna curl up into my ass and die.

People always bitch about game journalism, and here is your problem folks, no other entertainment sector is so frantically obsessed with scores.

Not the movies, not music, not anything.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Dogenzaka said:

I'd like to know as well.

I assume you have to beat Zeus until Gaia screams and her heart becomes red. At this point, you have to hit the heart in order for it to release energy for you to absorb. Zeus attempt to do the same thing (he charges in a corner and dashes towards the heart if you have not consumed it yet)

Is this right? Cos that's what I'm doing but I'm getting spanked badly on Titan. I can evade everything and hit the bastard no prob, but it seems to be taking a shitload of time to win and I end up losing cos my fingers basically fall from the controller.

Edit - ok, I guess I'm right. Damn is it difficult on Titan tho. I mean, I get to the point where
Zeus releases like 5 clones simultaneously
TWICE.

Dogenzaka

Banned
Fimbulvetr said:
You beat on Zeus, when Gaia's heart starts to glow you beat on it before Zeus can. Whoever beats it up first gets their health restored.

The war between the Titans and the Olympians too place long before Atlas was forced to hold up the world.

Are you sure? Because
I beat on that heart as hard as possible with my Cestus when it started glowing, and I only healed about a smidge of my health. Then Zeus comes up and zaps the shit out of it and gets a lot of health :<

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Dogenzaka said:
Are you sure? Because
I beat on that heart as hard as possible with my Cestus when it started glowing, and I only healed about a smidge of my health. Then Zeus comes up and zaps the shit out of it and gets a lot of health :<

That happens only the first time. It's basically explaining you what's going on.

Btw, I'm doing the whole fight with Cestus as well. Am I doing this right? :lol

Animator

TTP said:
That happens only the first time. It's basically explaining you what's going on.

What a shitty way of explaining things >:[

I too was like "wtf dude?" when he did that.

Also the balcony before that fight is the most impressive gfx I have seen in any game console or pc. that really was a painting come to life.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
TacticalFox88 said:
Seems to me like I'm the only GAFer on Chaos mode. :( Its getting really difficult and I can't turn to anyone.

Considering how difficult Titan already is, there is no way I'm gonna even touch this on Chaos.

Animator

TacticalFox88 said:
Seems to me like I'm the only GAFer on Chaos mode. :( Its getting really difficult and I can't turn to anyone.

You have my respect if you manage to finish this game on chaos mode. Some of the fights....I dont even wanna think about them in titan let alone chaos. Thank god there is no "beat the game in chaos mode" trophy.

dralla

TTP said:

just beat it using the cestus. basically I
beat on zues, made sure he didn't recharge from gaia's heart, and when I was low on health I would use magic to knock all the zeus' down and punch the heart.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
dralla said:
beat on zues, made sure he didn't recharge from gaia's heart, and when I was low on health I would use magic to knock all the zeus' down and punch the heart.

That's basically what I'm doing. Did you beat him on Titan or Normal?

Dogenzaka

Banned
dralla said:

I don't have any magic :(

This is really hard with no magic. It's manageable at the beginning but the clones...;_;

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
TTP said:
Considering how difficult Titan already is, there is no way I'm gonna even touch this on Chaos.

I think I'll take a whack at it, I haven't found Titan very difficult so far(last thing I did was
fight Cronos and got the last weapon. Hardest part so far was probably that giant box area where they try to break the chains, though I only had to do it twice. Hades and Hercules also only took me two attempts, both of them seem to be giving people trouble. Most of my deaths are from the start of the game against Poseidon, I did terribly there.
)

Not sure how far I even am, but I'm guessing around halfway.

HEEEEEEELP I'VE BEEN STUCK ON THIS PUZZLE ALL DAY!!!

in the labyrinth, with zeus dead wife and the large pillar with the steps, i've filled the the first two bowls with water, i can't get the third it's driving me mad

Dogenzaka

Banned
Ninja_Hawk said:

in the labyrinth, with zeus dead wife and the large pillar with the steps, i've filled the the first two bowls with water, i can't get the third it's driving me mad

bring the staircase pillar down south towards the nook between the third bowl and the staircase on the right. The perspective will screw up and you will be able to take Hera up the stairs and deposit her in the third bowl. Now take the stair pillar and put it on the button Hera was sitting on so that you don't have to hold it down. Now just climb up the pathway you've made :p

This final boss fight is so damn hard!!!
His clones will pin me in a combo I can't get out of. They took me down from full health to zero in one combo that I couldn't block, roll out of or retaliate. So fucking stupid!

Filldough

The Chef said:
I swear this damn Centaur is giving me more problems than any of the bosses so far.
The half circle motion with the left joystick doesn't seem to register half the time for his counter either.

I've noticed you can input it again if you miss first time. There seems to be a generous window, also for me I notice if I hold the first position for a split second it seems to register better, but like I said, if you do the movement and dont see it turn red, try it again really quick, I've pulled it off even after doing the rotation the wrong direction the first time.

Dogenzaka said:
bring the staircase pillar down south towards the nook between the third bowl and the staircase on the right. The perspective will screw up and you will be able to take Hera up the stairs and deposit her in the third bowl. Now take the stair pillar and put it on the button Hera was sitting on so that you don't have to hold it down. Now just climb up the pathway you've made :p

This final boss fight is so damn hard!!!
His clones will pin me in a combo I can't get out of. They took me down from full health to zero in one combo that I couldn't block, roll out of or retaliate. So fucking stupid!
THANK YOU!!!

ZeroRay

Ninja_Hawk said:

I was stuck for a good 15 mins on this one. The solution was so deceptively simple though.

shwimpy

Melfice7 said:
just played the first hour... phew im exhausted :O

Pretty much the difference between this and Uncharted 2. I almost beat that game in 1 sitting but this... I seriously have to catch my breath at every save 'cause it's so exhausting to take it in all the awesome at once.

kikanny

I don't think my PS3 can handle the epicness of GOWIII. Only when I'm playing that game, the PS3 fan goes into hyper drive! Please don't kill my PS3 too, Kratos!!

kikanny said:
I don't think my PS3 can handle the epicness of GOWIII. Only when I'm playing that game, the PS3 fan goes into hyper drive! Please don't kill my PS3 too, Kratos!!
This happened to mine too. Dont worry its gonna be fine. GoW3 uses a lot of Ps3 power! And every 5 minutes a puppy comes out

Lince

Banned
got my super sexy PAL Collectors Edition copy this morning, the Kratos figure is the same that came with Chains of Olympus, meh, I'll be giving it away to a friend tomorrow. After the clean look of FFXIII this crazy post-processing fest of GOWIII is overdriving my brain, what a fantastic looking game.

i just realized that your magic attack is tied to the weapon you have equipped. while it's a cool way of managing things, they could have mentioned it earlier when i first got my first power. i was sad thinking that there was no way to power them up.

oh, and fuck
hades and his palm smashes right when im trying to grapple. OR when he's stunned and im supposed to finish him off but hammering O right next to his face does NOTHING, and then he wakes up and kills me... :mad: at least i never got caught my the web of chains, or the purple breath shit!

Dogenzaka said:
Same here. Ugh :(

Also I'm short ONE GORGON EYE until full health and I just reached the final boss stages. FUCK

I know which one it is too, it's from the beginning where there was a fork in my climbing path, and I picked one, planning to go to the other after seeing what was there, but it triggered a set path and I couldn't go back >:l
?

You're right. I know for a fact because I quit to my save point to go that alternate route figuring there had to be some type of goody there. It surprised me to see SM not allowing for backtracking at that point.

PartlyCloudlike said:
I'd prefer that over my Ultimate Edition....

Choke on the Magic said:

yes, but where can you buy it (UK shop, otherwise the price difference to an imported UK standard edition is too much considering the crappy bonus content)?
Does it not exist in UK at all?!
I want a CE of GoW3 (plus I like this special cover/digipack) but don't want to spend a fortune on the trilogy (also, I have the prequels already for PS2).

TheFatOne

Man I started the game on hard, but now I am playing it on easy. I didn't mean to change the settings. I died several times in one spot, and when the prompt came to change it to easy I didn't pay attention FML. By the time I realized it was on easy I had already beaten several bosses. This sucks now I won't be able to get a platinum trophy for GOW3 :(

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Finished. Very nice ending, albeit I was expecting something more crazy/epic as the final fight.

Dogenzaka

Banned
Man (final boss fight whining)
I went through like six cycles of Gaia having health and beating the shit out of Zeus. I went through three mass-clone stages, and STILL Zeus won't die. What the hell how long is this freaking fight?!?!

Animator

TheFatOne said:
Man I started the game on hard, but now I am playing it on easy. I didn't mean to change the settings. I died several times in one spot, and when the prompt came to change it to easy I didn't pay attention FML. By the time I realized it was on easy I had already beaten several bosses. This sucks now I won't be able to get a platinum trophy for GOW3 :(

Why? Did you get one of those self destructing after the first playthrough game discs?

AAAAAaaaarrrghhh, need help on beating
Hades

not used to playing GOW. I play on normal.

I manage to
tear his heart out and I keep hitting to avoid that it crawls back, but then it disappears and Hades gets all mad and the room is filled with chains. When they disappear he usually smashes the living something out of me..

Heeelp?

Animator said:
You have my respect if you manage to finish this game on chaos mode. Some of the fights....I dont even wanna think about them in titan let alone chaos. Thank god there is no "beat the game in chaos mode" trophy.
So far I'm up to
Cronos
on Chaos mode, I beat
Hercules
by SHEER LUCK.

TheFatOne said:

Re-play it?

Edit: Beaten

Spike

I have not gone through the thread recently for fear of spoiling myself, but are there any other Canadians displeased with their copy of GoWIII?

There is no interior artwork on the sleeve. The sleeve looks like it was actually folded in half and then inserted in the case. The instruction manual is not clear, like there was a printing error. The colours on the disc picture looks washed out.

I am sadly dissapointed with the handling of PS3 games for us Canadian gamers.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Dogenzaka said:
Man (final boss fight whining)
I went through like six cycles of Gaia having health and beating the shit out of Zeus. I went through three mass-clone stages, and STILL Zeus won't die. What the hell how long is this freaking fight?!?!

Some suggestions (now that I have finished it)

- Use Cestius all the way
- When Zeus attacks with ranged shots, try to deflect them rather that parry/evade
- Stay close to him and punch him once. He will start strafing a bit and then release a "short-lived" clone. Stay calm and counter the clone for instant kill (and magic release).
- When multiple clones are around, focus on those. Don't bother with zeus. Use magic otherwise punch them to death. It's easy to parry their punches, but stay away from them after they have performed the second punch cos they will add an un-blockable finisher to it if you are close.
- Seems to me that defeating clones actually hurts Zeus.

Top Bottom