• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III |OT|

Pimpbaa

Dogenzaka said:
Stig said only two of the cutscenes in the game were pre-rendered in the engine
I noticed them right off the bat
When the surroundings of the Hermes battle are falling apart, and when you bring Pandora's Labyrinth up at the end of the game that triggers the Zeus battle

I just beat the game and now I have to wiki this shit. Also I never saw the part that Keighley and Stig talked about that was so "controversial".

I seen some compression artifacts during the cutscene with
Chronos
. Framerate seemed way too smooth too (a lot of shit was going on).

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
nskinnear said:
I haven't encountered one glitch in 8+ hours of playing...

[EDIT] Didn't see your first couple posts. Really sucks about that R1 glitch.

The very first part where you take control of Kratos bugged out on me and wouldn't progress forward. Had to restart the level. But no problems since then.

Game froze on me in the middle of a boss fight, another glitch occurred while fighting it, nothing major though...except for the freeze, that pissed me off.

Animator

Started my second playthrough on titan mode and holy shit it is hard :(

Somehow managed to beat poseidon but I can see this will take me forever to finish.

Also has anyone managed to beat the second challenge in the challenge room? What kind of a sick joke is that? It has like zero room for error.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Just beat
Helios or whatever from the demo scene.
How far am I? Also this game rocks.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Animator said:
Started my second playthrough on titan mode and holy shit it is hard :(

Somehow managed to beat poseidon but I can see this will take me forever to finish.

Also has anyone managed to beat the second challenge in the challenge room? What kind of a sick joke is that? It has like zero room for error.

Is that the one where u have no weapons? I did that :D

So, there is no way to play through this game again carrying over the upgrades you've got on the 1st playthrough right?

EvaPlusMinus said:
Just beat

Quite far.

EvaPlusMinus said:
Just beat
halfway.
edit:
Holy COW, playing the game with the alternate Kratos is fucking awesome, looks so cool in motion.

Animator

TTP said:
Is that the one where u have no weapons? I did that :D

So, there is no way to play through this game again carrying over the upgrades you've got on the 1st playthrough right?

Quite far.

Yea thats the one. How the hell did you do it? ;_;

Also I understand why there is no new game +. Having access to other weapons in the beginning before you are meant to would mean you can access places you shouldnt access till the end. It would break the game.

enewtabie

Ok, am I doing it wrong..Started the game again and it's the first level to jump to the silver hook..It says press R1..I do nothing happens..

Jeels

Dogenzaka said:
Yeah at GameCrazy one of the employees was like "Ew God of War, I tried the demo and it just sucked"

I didn't like the series after trying the demo, either. Then I bought the actual games. Makes a difference.

Dogen, weren't you complaining about the length just a few weeks ago and adamantly stating you wouldn't buy it. ;D

sajj316

TTP said:
How come enemies never die there?

Man what a fun trophy to get :/

You had similar glitches in GOD I and II. I feel those were put in there on purpose. I mean come on ... 1000 hit combo??

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Animator said:
Yea thats the one. How the hell did you do it? ;_;

Also I understand why there is no new game +. Having access to other weapons in the beginning before you are meant to would mean you can access places you shouldnt access till the end. It would break the game.

Well, you could get the weapons when dictated by the game, and when you get them, they would be already upgraded.

As for how I did the challenge, you basically have to be very focused in ramming the big guys with the small guys. When the Circle symbol appears, DO NOT go into QTE but rather keep ramming into them. You'll lose a lot of time otherwise.

Oh, forgot to say one important thing :D

When ramming them, try to push them towards the edge of the arena so that they fall down ;)

Violater

NameGenerated said:
I beat "the guitar hero shit" on my first try. I don't know how you could fail it if you are even slightly familiar with pushing buttons on time (which you should be if you've played GoW's QTEs).
yeaaaaa i would prob get banned for really telling you what I want to.

Anyway, can one of you audiophiles compare the Demo audio with the final game's audio.
More specifically where Kratos heavy attacks and it hits the ground. The demo audio is coming through with much more punch to me.

enewtabie

If I'm complaining about a Sony game,it's a problem..Why can't I grab the fning ring by hitting R1? I can't even get further than the first board?

my buddy got the game yesterday and he beat it today.......am thinking about getting it and wanted to know if it was short or are all these people beating it already busting all nighters??

sajj316

enewtabie said:
If I'm complaining about a Sony game,it's a problem..Why can't I grab the fning ring by hitting R1? I can't even get further than the first board?

I don't know what to tell you man .. I still haven't gotten my copy yet but if I run through the same problem, I'll be sure to let folks know.

Dogenzaka

Banned
Jeels said:
Dogen, weren't you complaining about the length just a few weeks ago and adamantly stating you wouldn't buy it. ;D

Uh no, I never said I wasn't going to buy it. You should get your glasses, old man.
I was concerned about the length based on some previews' reports, but I said, quite clearly, that I can't really judge since I haven't played it myself.

The game ended up being quite long, especially since I played it on Hard Mode.

Anyway, having beaten it, I have my final impressions.

God of War 2 remains my favorite game in the series.

While God of War 3 is the pinnacle of the series in combat improvement and unbelievable scale in certain areas of the game, God of War 2 had more variety in well-designed and interesting puzzles, a more interesting level design and cohesion between the levels, and a plot with less room for uncovered plot-holes, and some of the choices/psychology of the characters in God of War 3 just doesn't make sense sometimes. God of War 2 was a much more refined, interesting and enjoyable experience throughout, while God of War 3 felt more like HOLY FUCKING SHIT OMG in a few key areas, and other parts of the game feeling underutilized or lacking.

My hat goes off to SSM, and absolutely no offense to you Stig. You made an awesome game.

God of War 2 just holds something special in my heart, I suppose.

But God of War 3 is an awesome game all-around that nobody should miss, anyway. Like seriously go buy it NOW if you don't have it.

PS: I never found that thing Keighley and Stig were talking about that would "play out differently for each person" and that was controversial. What was it?

Johnas

Could somebody tell me how close I am to the end?

I just
finished the labyrinth with Pandora and am going through a really difficult falling/flying section
. I feel like I'm almost to the end but this part is getting on my nerves.

JohngPR said:
Took UPS all day to get here, but I finally got my copy of the game (as well as something else I ordered).

75969234.jpg

The thing that sucks is that I'm not done with GOW II yet. :(

I'm really really close though.

Kratos killed Captain America?

Dogenzaka

Banned
Shawsie64 said:
Just picked this up. Having never played any god of war games before i assume my mind is gonna be raped :D

The first hour will rape your mind.

Everything else will feel similar to the past 2 games, really. Except for a key boss fight in the middle of the game.

Now that I've beaten this, it's time to go back to homework...(and Pokemon...:p)

Animator

Having finished gow 1 and 2 again the week before gow3's release I feel different. imo gow3 is better in everyway compared to 1&2. It fixes every problem the old games had while adding a ton of improvements. It is simply more awe inspiring visually than any other game that came out to date.

I can see why people would say "it loses steam before the end"
the labyrinth level was basicly a bunch of boxes, nothing visually exciting. But the gameplay came to the rescue there, I never felt bored.

Overall I loved every second of it. I am kinda sad the series are over now :(. I hope SSM's next game will be equally brilliant and start another trilogy.

that ending wow

the game was really great

Most likely jumping the gun here, but I liked it more than the other three games because there were far fewer annoying sections. I mean times when you have to turn a crank or fight an enemy. It was constantly enjoyable and had great pacing. Combat is the best it has been and it looks so amazing. QTE issues I had were gone after a while, too.

Dogenzaka

Banned
Animator said:
Having finished gow 1 and 2 again the week before gow3's release I feel different. imo gow3 is better in everyway compared to 1&2. It fixes every problem the old games had while adding a ton of improvements. It is simply more awe inspiring visually than any other game that came out to date.

I can see why people would say "it loses steam before the end"
the labyrinth level was basicly a bunch of boxes, nothing visually exciting. But the gameplay came to the rescue there, I never felt bored.

Overall I loved every second of it. I am kinda sad the series are over now :(. I hope SSM's next game will be equally brilliant and start another trilogy.

That's interesting because I bought GoW Collection just about a week before GoW3's release, and beat both of those games in the days leading up to GoW3 (for my first time, no less). I guess it's an indescribable joy to play all the games in this series for the first time within a 2 week period xD

Shawsie64 said:
Just picked this up. Having never played any god of war games before i assume my mind is gonna be raped :D

I have to recommend playing the other 2 first but it's probably a bit late now :lol

And yes your eyes will orgasm.

ZeroRay

So I got Pandora out of the water cage and now I'm stuck in an apparently infinitely respawning area where Daedalus is hung. There's a switch in the area but it doesn't seem to do anything. Am I missing something very obvious here?

*While typing this post, I realize I may have.* :lol

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Johnas said:
Could somebody tell me how close I am to the end?

I just
finished the labyrinth with Pandora and am going through a really difficult falling/flying section
. I feel like I'm almost to the end but this part is getting on my nerves.

You are quite close yes.

And that part was a non issue for me on Titan. None of the evade gameplay sections were, actually. I've read about people getting frustrated about them, so I'll just pretend I'm awesome.

enewtabie

My GOW3 experience lasted about 10 mins into the game..:lol This is where it glitches..does nothing and I used every controller laying around my office.
Oh well, on to other games. It was pretty to look at though.

002-19.jpg

Dogenzaka

Banned
TTP said:
You are quite close yes.

And that part was a non issue for me on Titan. None of the evade gameplay sections were, actually. I've read about people getting frustrated about them, so I'll just pretend I'm awesome.

We must both be awesome. I played on Titan and there was only one or two flying/falling segments where I even lost health.

o/

IronFistedChampion said:
OMG the
Poseidon Princess was sooo hot. Why did you have to kill her Kratos, WHY??!!!
:(

I'm not even sure how
she died? He just left her to hold the crank...

enewtabie said:
My GOW3 experience lasted about 10 mins into the game..:lol This is where it glitches..does nothing and I used every controller laying around my office.

002-19.jpg

What's wrong with the picture?

You must be trolling if you bought this game and you're not going to play it anymore because of a glitch...that's $60 wasted right there, lol

enewtabie said:

Are you holding R1 or just clicking it briefly?

Nothing really spoilerific, but a couple questions for those who have played the game:
1. Re-playing the game, I didn't even pick up on the whole Tomb of Ares thing the first time around. That was fucking awesome fighting the centaur on a block of ice with Ares entombed in the center.

2. Fuck auto-save.

3. How do those treasures you pick up along the way come into play on the next play-through?

Johnas

TTP said:
You are quite close yes.

Meh. ;)

I got it on my fifth try. That was really the only one to give me trouble, I kept getting into these chain reaction hits where I'd get hit again before I could get my bearings.

Thanks for the info.

enewtabie said:
I've done everything with R1 that can be done..I've tried every other button also.

I doubt it, but is there any chance you may have somehow had the R1 button held down when you first booted the console/game? I know I've had that problem with the analog sticks on the PS2 a few times. Maybe not, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

After hating GoW 2's hard modes, I had little apprehension trying the Titan mode, but it's very well balanced so far. It's hard, but it's not like half of Kratos'moves become useless and enemies becoming damage sponges. The battle system has been really ironed out this time.

There are still some stuff bugging me with the battle system. The first one is that the enemies can't hit each other, and this time it's particularly obvious since you can ride some creature. Why can't the cyclops hurt the other enemies if I'm not riding when it's possible to ride it and kill everyone? It doesn't make sense, and I think it would have been fun and interesting to dodge the attacks of enemies so that they end up hitting each other.

The other thing is that there aren't that much technics, I'm fine with that, I don't really understand games like Bayonetta where there are thousands combo that basically do the same stuff, here every move has its utility and all. But the result of that is that you always see the same animations over and over, I think it would have been great if there was more animations for the most basic combo/finish. It works pretty well in Batman Arkham Asylum for example, you basically spam the attack button, but there's a lot of combo animations that are displayed randomly and it's less boring to watch. Uncharted goes even further with several animations for pretty much every movements.

I'm not a big fan of the new weapons, the blade of Olympus/Exile is awesome, but the two new weapons feel way too similar. The knuckles are awesome though, but I can't give Santa Monica credits for that as this weapon was created by Ready at Dawn for the awesome PSP game. I think they should have sticked with these two weapons the other ones are too redundant.

But well, I still think it's a massive improvement over the earlier game, and unlike in 1 and 2 this time I even had fun doing the challenges. The rest of the game is awesome as always, Santa Monica is still a master and designing levels, puzzles and the pacing is great as always, it's really hard to put down the controller.

enewtabie

Dogenzaka said:
We must both be awesome. I played on Titan and there was only one or two flying/falling segments where I even lost health.

o/

I'm not even sure how
she died? He just left her to hold the crank...

What's wrong with the picture?

You must be trolling if you bought this game and you're not going to play it anymore because of a glitch...that's $60 wasted right there, lol

Trolling..lol..You don't know me,but if I'm complaining about a Sony game..it's a issue for me. Besides, I can't really play it anymore if it wont go past the first section, right?? I'll see if I can get another copy though.

Dogenzaka

Banned
After beating the game, I only have one strange observation (doesn't necessarily have to do with the ending, but still, kind of does, so spoiler warning)
So....Aphrodite is the only one left on Olympus? What the hell does she do? Have lesbian sex for the rest of eternity?

enewtabie said:
Trolling..lol..You don't know me,but if I'm complaining about a Sony game..it's a issue for me. Besides, I can't really play it anymore if it wont go past the first section, right?? I'll see if I can get another copy though.

I meant it more if you were going to be like "I bought this great game for $60. Wow a glitch. Well I'm not going to try it anymore. Had a good 10 minutes."

But anyway, try re-loading your save.

I had a terrible glitch in
The Realm of Hades
that wouldn't let me proceed. I had to reload my save for it to go away.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
enewtabie said:

002-19.jpg

That's pretty early in the game. Have you tried restarting from the beginning?

BTW, I had a bug as well at the VERY beginning of the game.
After you fight the dead soldiers and Gaia is supposed to blow over the fire so you can proceed. Well, she never did that. All enemies where dead, but the tree was still on fire. Walked around for a good 3 minutes looking for enemies stuck in the rocks but nothing.

Top Bottom