• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III |OT|

-PXG-

templeusox said:
That's very impressive. But it doesn't make sense to me why something being pre-rendered or not makes a tangible difference on your impression of the game.

The sequence after the death of
Helios
is also pre-rendered. Or at least I think. I noticed some artifacts on the screen. But who cares. I don't care what devs have to do to make a game look good. Makes no difference to me.

Animator

-PXG- said:
I messaged Ken Feldman (art director) regarding how they made the 3d assets. Most of them (especially organic stuff) were made with ZBrush (base models imported from Maya) while hard edge stuff (crates, rocks, boxes, ect) were just made in Maya.

Anyway, it's really easy to spot what things were made in ZBrush. Kratos and Hades are the best models in the game. They're absolutely stunning. No wonder games like God of War III and Gears 1/2 look so good. Bungie is using ZBrush for their models as well.

I love it. Not only does it allow you to make very detailed, high resolution (light weight software to boot), but it's VERY easy to learn and use. A 3D noob like me (My specialtly is 2D) can become well versed in a matter of a few days, even hours. Anyone can learn how to use it.

Zbrush and Mudbox are basicly used in every game and movie production for years now. it is not something only a couple studios do.

jhenedo

Banned
The hades boss has to be the greatest boss fight EVER!! I just beat hemes to get the boots
so i hope there are a few more suprises before this thing is done.

Kamal007

Neo Member
Just beat it.

Herculeus, Cronos and Zeus were some seriously badass boss fights. I think the Herculeus / Cronos one was my absolute favorite boss fights of all time. The first part of the Zeus boss fight was amazing (one where both of you fight while Pandora lays unconscious)

I have zero idea how the reviewers had problems with the grappling in this game... I didn't die as a result of poor grappling once. I also encountered zero glitches and my total play time came to 11 hours on normal difficulty.

Very strong contender for GOTY.

BSTF

this post rates 1/10
Dogenzaka said:
Stig already said that the pre-rendered in-engine cutscenes (the two that were used) were not done because they were impossible to do without being pre-rendered (because they are certainly possible, as he implied in the interview). They just chose to do it because it would be cleaner/more seamless. Likely they were hiding some major loading behind the scene.

There's way more than two files though...

templeusox said:
That's very impressive. But it doesn't make sense to me why something being pre-rendered or not makes a tangible difference on your impression of the game.

I didn't look very good which is why I didn't like it. I didn't have a problem with Uncharted 2 or FFXIII's with their kind of in game engine pre-rendered videos because it looked better than the regular game. If you're going to use a pre-rendered cutscene why not make it look better or at least match the quality? Anyway, I just commented on that part because it's where I left off. It isn't that big of a deal, just a little nitpick. I'll see if it bothers me more later on.

-PXG-

Animator said:
Zbrush and Mudbox are basicly used in every game and movie production for years now. it is not something only a couple studios do.

Well, I guess other studios aren't utilizing the program's full potential. Most models in games are pretty average and look like something that could be made in Maya/Max. Then again, I guess devs are finally getting more confident and figured out how to make more complex, organic objects, that don't compromise performance or take a long time to make.

SSM really pushed the tech to the limit. They completely blew away the competition. How in the hell are other devs going to top this?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
BSTF said:

I didn't look very good which is why I didn't like it. I didn't have a problem with Uncharted 2 or FFXIII's with their kind of in game engine pre-rendered videos because it looked better than the regular game. If you're going to use a pre-rendered cutscene why not make it look better or at least match the quality? Anyway, I just commented on that part because it's where I left off. It isn't that big of a deal, just a little nitpick. I'll see if it bothers me more later on.
To mask loading and make sure some specific scenes look as good since they may throw at the engine and may not have time to optimize for real time cutscenes. That may be one explanation but one things for sure, SSM did not mask anything since the whole game is very consisteny in being graphically stunning. "Downtime" comes in the form of hallways and corridors which looks amazing but then the scale opens up and the bosses hit. SSM's engine is good enough to use in this manner.

Well, if you're SSM and you are making a game with expectations like GOW3, you're going to invest a lot of time into creating a super-detailed Kratos and Zeus models. It's just logical. When the GOW Collection is re-released on PS4 with an up-ressed GOW3, I can't wait to see the super hi-res models.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
-PXG- said:
Well, I guess other studios aren't utilizing the program's full potential. Most models in games are pretty average and look like something that could be made in Maya/Max. Then again, I guess devs are finally getting more confident and figured out how to make more complex, organic objects, that don't compromise performance or take a long time to make.

SSM really pushed the tech to the limit. They completely blew away the competition. How in the hell are other devs going to top this?
Probably the next big 1st party game but this game has such huge scale and amazing detail that it is hard to imagine another PS3/CELL based game really looking better. Of course the art of a nice game like The Last Guardian or a bright cartoony game may be more appealing to some. As you said, the tech in this game is second to none now. The bar has been raised again.

The pre-rendered cut scenes are there because of memory issues. Some of the cutscenes are memory hogs and running them realtime would have created serious loading issues. Most of them are realtime though, I'm going through the game with a costume and the only pre-rendered cutscenes are the ones with crazy scale, like say, a character falling thousands of feet in through the air.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Goddammit how trophy-whore unfriendly this game is. Not only do I have to play the whole game from scratch to collect everything again, but I cannot backtrack in some places.
Like the climbing section after you collect the bow and fight the flying bats things. There are two possible routes there, one leading to a chest. I didn't recall which way was the chest from my previous playthrough so I said "ok, let's check this way. If that's not it, then I'll go back".
Well, it was not it, but fuck me I can't go back and I haven't even saved since I started :lol

I understand the game is structured in such a way that you can't really complain about the lack of backtracking, but that chest was just around the corner dammit. All I need to do to get it is climb down from where I came. But I can't.

And the cutscenes. Unskippable. Jeez.

Animator

-PXG- said:

Gow's models are made with "maya and max" You seem to be confused about how zbrush is actually used. You sculpt high level detail with zbrush which is then exported as displacement\normal maps. The game doesnt use models straight out of zbrush. Not even movies use that. It is simply too polygon heavy and you cant rig\animate those.

SSM did not unlock some hidden zbrush potential. They simply have GREAT sculptors. It might take you 2 hours to learn how to deform a sphere in zbrush into a shittier looking blob but it takes years to create something exceptional with it. It is the artists that do this not the software.

Dogenzaka

Banned
BSTF said:

-Something can be split into multiple files, obviously.

-It didn't look very good? Are you wearing your bifocals or did you forget them at the gamestore when you picked this up?

LiquidMetal14 said:
Probably the next big 1st party game but this game has such huge scale and amazing detail that it is hard to imagine another PS3/CELL based game really looking better. Of course the art of a nice game like The Last Guardian or a bright cartoony game may be more appealing to some. As you said, the tech in this game is second to none now. The bar has been raised again.

Well SSM themselves even said they didn't push it as far as is humanly possible. They can do better.

Johnas

Just wrapped it up a few minutes ago.

Easily the most grand scale of any game I've ever played. I can't decide if I liked III or II more, I haven't played II in a while. Either way, extremely solid action title.

Something I thought of from a long time ago: I remember Jaffe saying in an interview a few years ago that he had the final level for the franchise (or the trilogy maybe) planned out in his head. Does anybody know if that was implemented here? Even if it was, I'm not sure exactly which area it would specifically refer to.

stupei

Is there an estimated length? Trying to decide whether to push on with my FF13 or put it on hold. Knowing length would help with the decision.

Thanks, GAF.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
TTP said:
Goddammit how trophy-whore unfriendly this game is. Not only do I have to play the whole game from scratch to collect everything again, but I cannot backtrack in some places.

are you telling me I have to find everything again with my 7000 orbs to go to max everything? rage

Johnas

stupei said:
Is there an estimated length? Trying to decide whether to push on with my FF13 or put it on hold. Knowing length would help with the decision.

Thanks, GAF.

Ten hours or so. I finished it in two sittings easily.

Okay while I was downloading the soundtracks an error occured and firefox crashed. It restarts and now I can't get back to retrying the download, wtf do I do now?

Dogenzaka

Banned
Where are you guys getting your time estimates? My saves don't say anything :(

I think I finished my Hard Mode playthrough at around 17 hours though, if I count from Monday night.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Dogenzaka said:
Where are you guys getting your time estimates? My saves don't say anything :(

I think I finished my Hard Mode playthrough at around 17 hours though, if I count from Monday night.

It's written right under each save file to me.

Johnas

TTP said:
It's written right under each save file to me.

Yep, when you move the control pad to select a file, let it sit on that file for a couple of seconds and the playtime should show up.

I'm so fucking pissed off right now, the godofwar.com site won't let me redownload the soundtracks after the initial download had an "error" AND THEN..

the Legend Documentary is a video and since I didn't disconnect my PSN from the broken PS3 I had I'm fucked on watching that. Calling Sony tomorrow, they had better be able to help me.

2real4tv

BSTF said:
3 signs to tell that at least the
Poseidon death
is pre-rendered:

First, there was a slight quality change.

Second, my PS3 fan gets very loud when it's displaying awesome graphics, it went quiet during the cutscene. Like it did for Uncharted 2/other games when it switched to cutscenes.

Third, there's a file on the Blu Ray disc named
PSDNDEATH.M2V & PSDNXDEATH.M2V there's a bunch of other filenames in their as well but I didn't want to spoil myself.

I'm not bashing the in game graphics because I think they look great, I just didn't like their decision to switch it up like that.

Only when he dived through his chest was pre-rendered the actually death of Posidien was realtime
spoiler link:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mm0SA9fXZfU

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Square Triangle said:
I'm so fucking pissed off right now, the godofwar.com site won't let me redownload the soundtracks after the initial download had an "error" AND THEN..

the Legend Documentary is a video and since I didn't disconnect my PSN from the broken PS3 I had I'm fucked on watching that. Calling Sony tomorrow, they had better be able to help me.

Download vouchers for a special edition are fucking retarded. If you're going to give people a huge garish plastic box, how about putting something inside of it?

-PXG-

Animator said:
Gow's models are made with "maya and max" You seem to be confused about how zbrush is actually used. You sculpt high level detail with zbrush which is then exported as displacement\normal maps. The game doesnt use models straight out of zbrush. Not even movies use that. It is simply too polygon heavy and you cant rig\animate those.

SSM did not unlock some hidden zbrush potential. They simply have GREAT sculptors. It might take you 2 hours to learn how to deform a sphere in zbrush into a shittier looking blob but it takes years to create something exceptional with it. It is the artists that do this not the software.

Uh...I know game models aren't used directly from ZBrush :p I'm also aware that it is the artist, not the software. Anyone who thinks they can simply manipulate software or a tool, without having any artistic skill or foundation is a fool. The software has the potential to allow artists to create something amazing. But ultimately, it is the artist who makes the model great. My post just came out the wrong way.

I'm just admiring that artists' ability to create and use the software for what it was made to do. I'm an artist myself.

thetrin said:
Download vouchers for a special edition are fucking retarded. If you're going to give people a huge garish plastic box, how about putting something inside of it?

I don't want to jump to conclusion but I will have no problem returning the whole damn thing if Sony doesn't want to help. =/ I agree completely this was a pretty terrible "Ultimate Edition".

Johnas

JesseZao said:
I can't believe how much I suck at jumping in this game...seriously!

This game's double-jumping has a really narrow window for success. It's not just you. I didn't have any trouble at all in GoW II, but this game was quite a bit different.

Snipes424

jhenedo said:
The hades boss has to be the greatest boss fight EVER!! I just beat hemes to get the boots
so i hope there are a few more suprises before this thing is done.

Just wait, the best boss battle of all fucking time will come in about 5-6 more hours :D

Snipes424 said:
Just wait, the best boss battle of all fucking time will come in about 5-6 more hours :D
Discuss that over here http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=20332622#post20332622

also Something Id like to let you guys know Ive just noticed something. If you play the game logged in PSN depending if youve received a message or signed or whatever, the game will and I repeat will hiccup like a scratched disc. If anyone noticed this when not logged in let us know.

RavenFox

Banned
SixStringPsycho said:
Discuss that over here http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=20332622#post20332622

also Something Id like to let you guys know Ive just noticed something. If you play the game logged in PSN depending if youve received a message or signed or whatever, the game will and I repeat will hiccup like a scratched disc. If anyone noticed this when not logged in let us know.
WTF? I got a few invites tonight to play Bad Company 2 while logged into PSN and guess what, not one hiccup or scratch. I'm sure the majority of this thread is also logged into PSN while playing.

KnightM7

Banned
Ok I played the first 3 games on normal and I thought it was a good difficulty, but I played this on normal and its alot easier. Its not like I got better at the game or anything, if anything Im playing worse. I also played Chains of Olympus on the PSP just recently and it kicked my ass a few times.

So yeah if youre used to playing in normal, play this one on at least HARD.

KnightM7 said:
Ok I played the first 3 games on normal and I thought it was a good difficulty, but I played this on normal and its alot easier. Its not like I got better at the game or anything, if anything Im playing worse. I also played Chains of Olympus on the PSP just recently and it kicked my ass a few times.

So yeah if youre used to playing in normal, play this one on at least HARD.
i was thinking the opposite

OK. Kick my ass for defending the "badassery" of Satyrs. FUCKING SHIT SUCKS!!!!!!

Playing on hard, the damn fire Cerberus is kicking my ass (the one you face after escaping the Labyrinth superman-style. I cut off one of it's head and the fucking goats show up. If miraculously I get to kill one and cut off another head of Cerberus, FUCKING TWO GOATS SHOW UP!! MOTHERFUCKER!!!!!!!!!!

Any tips on how to beat it? I use the
Gliding/juggling hold of the Miracle Whip lol. It's very effective since you're in the air while Cerberus just shoots fucking suicide bombing dogs at you, but when the goat shows up the whole game changes! I have 5 second worth of Rage filled up but it does no good...

RavenFox said:
WTF? I got a few invites tonight to play Bad Company 2 while logged into PSN and guess what, not one hiccup or scratch. I'm sure the majority of this thread is also logged into PSN while playing.
Well I was playing the game offline, when I logged in and said I received a message athenas conversation and music started to hiccup.

man the whole scene with
cronos and his fingernails
was rather disgusting,
and was it just me or were sms trying to say something about
guitar hero
?

YYZ

shagg_187 said:
OK. Kick my ass for defending the "badassery" of Satyrs. FUCKING SHIT SUCKS!!!!!!

Playing on hard, the damn fire Cerberus is kicking my ass (the one you face after escaping the Labyrinth superman-style. I cut off one of it's head and the fucking goats show up. If miraculously I get to kill one and cut off another head of Cerberus, FUCKING TWO GOATS SHOW UP!! MOTHERFUCKER!!!!!!!!!!

Any tips on how to beat it? I use the
Gliding/juggling hold of the Miracle Whip lol. It's very effective since you're in the air while Cerberus just shoots fucking suicide bombing dogs at you, but when the goat shows up the whole game changes! I have 5 second worth of Rage filled up but it does no good...
This is how I beat this part. I only used maxed out blades for this.

Assault the big dog right away, I like using squarex5, triangle combo where I land all of it or just the big finisher, this does a lot of damage.

Make sure you take as little damage as possible here. I believe it's possible to kick the dogs so that helps. Or you can kick them later on at least. When I tried at first they kept exploding on me so I stopped trying, but later on it worked.

For the first satyr, you need to roll around a lot and only hit him occasionally with some swipes. L1+O is your friend here for damaging the satyr and then running away. If you find yourself in a pinch, use the magic for the blades to call down the army and get invulnerability. Don't use this too much because you have to save it for when there are two satyrs. Don't try to grab a satyr if you're not one on one either, you'll get hit before the QTE is over. Keep hitting the big dog and rolling away. Try to land the square,square,triangle combo. Have patience and keep your cool here.

Once two heads are off, it's best to get your hits in when possible, but most likely you'll find yourself about to get wrecked so your magic up before getting hit. You should have enough saved up to kill at least one satyr and get the QTE for the big dog.

The last satyr is easy, just keep grabbing him and doing the QTE until he dies.

Top Bottom