• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III |OT|

Pimpbaa

RockmanWhore said:
I'm not a big fan of the new weapons, the blade of Olympus/Exile is awesome, but the two new weapons feel way too similar. The knuckles are awesome though, but I can't give Santa Monica credits for that as this weapon was created by Ready at Dawn for the awesome PSP game. I think they should have sticked with these two weapons the other ones are too redundant.

I like the new weapons in this game. I never leveled the alternate weapons in the previous games because they weren't as cool as the default. Having variations of chain weapons makes them all very enjoyable to use.

enewtabie

Dogenzaka said:
After beating the game, I only have one strange observation (doesn't necessarily have to do with the ending, but still, kind of does, so spoiler warning)
So....Aphrodite is the only one left on Olympus? What the hell does she do? Have lesbian sex for the rest of eternity?

I meant it more if you were going to be like "I bought this great game for $60. Wow a glitch. Well I'm not going to try it anymore. Had a good 10 minutes."

But anyway, try re-loading your save.

I had a terrible glitch in
The Realm of Hades
that wouldn't let me proceed. I had to reload my save for it to go away.

Third try and same thing. I can't make it to a save point. That's how early it is in the game. I even tried it on multiple PS3s. Probably this copy of the game is the problem.

enewtabie said:
Trolling..lol..You don't know me,but if I'm complaining about a Sony game..it's a issue for me. Besides, I can't really play it anymore if it wont go past the first section, right?? I'll see if I can get another copy though.

Did you go into the pause menu and see if R1 works there for scrolling through the menus?

Johnas

Here's a trophy question:

If I get a trophy for gorgon eyes/minotaur horns/feathers does that mean I got all of that particular item?

I have one for all three.

Dogenzaka

Banned
Pimpbaa said:
I like the new weapons in this game. I never leveled the alternate weapons in the previous games because they weren't as cool as the default. Having variations of chain weapons makes them all very enjoyable to use.

The fourth weapon is soooo kickass.

enewtabie

Valkyr Junkie said:
Did you go into the pause menu and see if R1 works there for scrolling through the menus?

Just tried it and it flips the menus fine. It's a bug..Don't wanna bog the thread down with my issue. Thanks for the help guys.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
enewtabie said:
Third try and same thing. I can't make it to a save point. That's how early it is in the game. I even tried it on multiple PS3s. Probably this copy of the game is the problem.

I'm not an expert, but that doesn't make any sense for a defective disc to be the cause of such an issue. Very, very odd bug.

enewtabie

TTP said:
I'm not an expert, but that doesn't make any sense for a defective disc to be the cause of such an issue. Very, very odd bug.

Yeah I have no idea. I've played tons of games and never seen this before. I've played the PS2 versions also so I know how the GOW gameplay works.

enewtabie said:
My GOW3 experience lasted about 10 mins into the game..:lol This is where it glitches..does nothing and I used every controller laying around my office.
Oh well, on to other games. It was pretty to look at though.

002-19.jpg
You are not worthy, mortal!

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
captscience said:
Did you jump up to the platform on the right first? I think you have to grapple from there.

He already is on the right platform. R1 prompt doesn't show up otherwise.

Jb

Just finished the Challenge of Olympus. They were really fun but maybe a bit too easy (
especially El Matador and Simply Smashing
).

Dogenzaka

Banned
enewtabie said:
Yeah I have no idea. I've played tons of games and never seen this before. I've played the PS2 versions also so I know how the GOW gameplay works.

Oh! I remember what I had to do. You have to jump off the platform first and THEN R1 in mid-air. That's what I had to do.

Dizzle24

This game is so epically epic, there are no words to better explain it. The boss battles are sooooooo awesome, I would pay for a Boss Rush DLC fo' sho'.

Dogenzaka

Banned
Dizzle24 said:
This game is so epically epic, there are no words to better explain it. The boss battles are sooooooo awesome, I would pay for a Boss Rush DLC fo' sho'.

I'm surprised and disappointed they didn't finally put in a mode where you can battle the bosses from the game.

Oh well.

Now that I've beat it, I'm really hoping they give us that epilogue they cut out. The game is hardly "wrapped up" if you ask me.

Snipes424

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
The fight with
Hercules
was so awesome. Pretty gruesome ending.

Yeah I loved that fight, he hit me so fucking hard that I glitched through the floor and died.

Luckily that was the only glitch I ran into, but it made me laugh.

BSTF

this post rates 1/10
Just beat the first boss, it would be pretty impressive, but the per-rendered cutscenes kind of suck.

Darkatomz

NOOOOO

So I downloaded the OST's yesterday, and apparently there was a problem when downloading them because it ended up corrupted and I can't unzip them (the Blood and Metal one worked fine).

Ugh... And the code is only usable as a one-time deal.

The most impressive game I've played in a long time. My g/f watched me play the opening sequence and couldn't stop commenting on how incredible it was. Truly epic!

BSTF

this post rates 1/10
templeusox said:
BSTF
this post rates 1/10
(Today, 11:15 PM)

templeusox
(Today, 11:16 PM)

Are you saying they aren't pre-rendered? The
Poseidon death
cutscene was pretty obvious.

man, Hard is f'n HARD! Got to the part where you have 3 tests, and you gotta fight the bulls, I just couldn't do it. Had to restart on medium.

Cruzader

Banned
So i played today, finally!

Not as epic in the "it gave me goosebumps ala U2" sense but amazing scale though. And yea, I did die on that first jumping part.
Gaia's heart section
Man I hate that invisible wall thing, guess its for noobs or something. Never had an issue with that on previous games.

Did I mention the scale of the scenes in insane?:D

Dogenzaka

Banned
BSTF said:
templeusox
(Today, 11:16 PM)

Are you saying they aren't pre-rendered? The
Poseidon death
cutscene was pretty obvious.

They aren't.

Stig said he recalls only twice in the game using a pre-rendered movie, and even then those two were pre-rendered in the in-game engine with no smoke or mirrors. So just accept the ass-whooping your eyes are getting from the graphics :)

BSTF

this post rates 1/10
Dogenzaka said:
They aren't.

Stig said he recalls only twice in the game using a pre-rendered movie, and even then those two were pre-rendered in the in-game engine with no smoke or mirrors. So just accept the ass-whooping your eyes are getting from the graphics :)

3 signs to tell that at least the
Poseidon death
is pre-rendered:

First, there was a slight quality change.

Second, my PS3 fan gets very loud when it's displaying awesome graphics, it went quiet during the cutscene. Like it did for Uncharted 2/other games when it switched to cutscenes.

Third, there's a file on the Blu Ray disc named
PSDNDEATH.M2V & PSDNXDEATH.M2V there's a bunch of other filenames in their as well but I didn't want to spoil myself.

I'm not bashing the in game graphics because I think they look great, I just didn't like their decision to switch it up like that.

Johnas

So that battle with
Zeus next to Gaia's heart

I think this is attempt #10, not sure what I'm doing wrong here. Other than maybe it's just plain difficult. Reminds me of the next to last battle in God of War I, which is not a compliment.

IronFistedChampion said:
OMG the
Poseidon Princess was sooo hot. Why did you have to kill her Kratos, WHY??!!!
:(
I know :(
I was expecting to get some action after helping her
:(:(

Johnas said:
Thanks. Kind of surprised I got them all, I didn't even think I was looking that hard.
same for me, I was expecting them to be hidden a little more

Dogenzaka

Banned
BSTF said:
Poseidon death
is pre-rendered:

Second, my PS3 fan gets very loud when it's displaying awesome graphics, it went quiet during the cutscene. Like it did for Uncharted 2/other games when it switched to cutscenes.

PSDNDEATH.M2V & PSDNXDEATH.M2V there's a bunch of other filenames in their as well but I didn't want to spoil myself.

I'm not bashing the in game graphics because I think they look great, I just didn't like their decision to switch it up like that.

Stig already said that the pre-rendered in-engine cutscenes (the two that were used) were not done because they were impossible to do without being pre-rendered (because they are certainly possible, as he implied in the interview). They just chose to do it because it would be cleaner/more seamless. Likely they were hiding some major loading behind the scene.

mr_nothin

Banned
BSTF said:
Poseidon death
is pre-rendered:

I guess ppl have to complain about SOMETHING

-PXG-

I messaged Ken Feldman (art director) regarding how they made the 3d assets. Most of them (especially organic stuff) were made with ZBrush (base models imported from Maya) while hard edge stuff (crates, rocks, boxes, ect) were just made in Maya.

Anyway, it's really easy to spot what things were made in ZBrush. Kratos and Hades are the best models in the game. They're absolutely stunning. I've never seen ANY video game models (cut-scene or in-game) look that good. EVER. No wonder games like God of War III and Gears 1/2 look so good. Bungie is using ZBrush for their models as well.

I love it. Not only does it allow you to make very detailed, high resolution (light weight software to boot), but it's VERY easy to learn and use. A 3D noob like me (My specialty is 2D) can become well versed in a matter of a few days, even hours. Anyone can learn how to use it.

I should be a PR man for Pixologic

BSTF said:
Poseidon death
is pre-rendered:

That's very impressive. But it doesn't make sense to me why something being pre-rendered or not makes a tangible difference on your impression of the game.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
This game just does not let up.
Right after that amazing flying sequence I'm thrown into a battle with a giant flaming cerberous. yes!
:D :D

Top Bottom