• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III |OT|

mik

mik is unbeatable
The entire
Pit of Tartarus
section drills that painting metaphor home. The use of light and shadow throughout the game is just fantastic, but that section takes it up another notch. Some really breathtaking visuals.

JWong

Banned
TTP said:
Goddammit how trophy-whore unfriendly this game is. Not only do I have to play the whole game from scratch to collect everything again, but I cannot backtrack in some places.
Like the climbing section after you collect the bow and fight the flying bats things. There are two possible routes there, one leading to a chest. I didn't recall which way was the chest from my previous playthrough so I said "ok, let's check this way. If that's not it, then I'll go back".
Well, it was not it, but fuck me I can't go back and I haven't even saved since I started :lol

I understand the game is structured in such a way that you can't really complain about the lack of backtracking, but that chest was just around the corner dammit. All I need to do to get it is climb down from where I came. But I can't.

And the cutscenes. Unskippable. Jeez.
Actually, they do make it friendly. Anyone who's trying to get all of the Gorgon's Eyes and whatever items, they give extra amounts in the game, so there are more chests than you need.

mik said:
The entire
Pit of Tartarus
section drills that painting metaphor home. The use of light and shadow throughout the game is just fantastic, but that section takes it up another notch. Some really breathtaking visuals.

agreed, i couldnt believe what i was looking at.

G-Bus said:
Just killed
cronos
. So fucking badass.

<3 this game.

What was more badass about that was when
Kratos finally stabs him in the head and Cronos falls, you call see Kratos hanging on to the blade still dug inside the head and looking at the screen/camera with the "yeah... i just did that, motherfuckers!" all over his face!
:lol :lol

Arsenic

Is it me or is the game soundtrack a bit underwhelming? After 6 hours I haven't heard a single standout track, that wasn't in a previous God of War game?

Maybe someone here knows, but have the four composers (Marino, Valesco, Fish, Reagan) been brought back?

mik

mik is unbeatable
Throughout that fight, I kept stopping, thinking I was watching a cutscene or I'd somehow lost control. I felt like a dope when I realized, "shit, son--I'm still playing!"

Phatcorns

Holy fuck this game is amazing. Just finished it and the ending could not have been more fitting and perfect. Really not much to say other than give us that epilogue DLC. I don't know what the hell could have topped what you already have in there, but man I'm all for it.

Dogenzaka

Banned
Thinking back about the game, I have to call out just how INCREDIBLE the lighting is with clouds. The clouds that envelope the surroundings at certain moments in the game is just staggering.

Dogenzaka

Banned
JWong said:
Actually, they do make it friendly. Anyone who's trying to get all of the Gorgon's Eyes and whatever items, they give extra amounts in the game, so there are more chests than you need.

Not sure if that's the case this time around. I had everything maxed out except I was missing ONE Gorgon Eye. I missed that fork-route in the beginning of the game too, so I KNOW the eye was there. :(

The Chef

Arsenic said:
Is it me or is the game soundtrack a bit underwhelming? After 6 hours I haven't heard a single standout track, that wasn't in a previous God of War game?

Maybe someone here knows, but have the four composers (Marino, Valesco, Fish, Reagan) been brought back?

I have been humming several songs in my head and overall think its one of the most epic soundtracks I have ever heard so in my opinion its just you.

Dante

Good GOD.....Just finished playing on Titan, getting my ass kicked but LOVING every second of it. I'm about halfway through second level. That first level......:O the most fukkin amazing thing I've ever seen in a game EVER.......Simply jaw dropping. I find myself stopping to look at the scenery quite often. I am going to savor every moment of this game. :)

Arsenic

The Chef said:
I have been humming several songs in my head and overall think its one of the most epic soundtracks I have ever heard so in my opinion its just you.
What im saying is, while theres great tracks there, the best ones were right from GoW2. Im only 6 hours in, so I was hoping there was more to be ahead. (especially the final fight)

EDIT: Ah I just went to itunes and heard/saw something i didnt want to see :(

JWong

Banned
Dogenzaka said:
Not sure if that's the case this time around. I had everything maxed out except I was missing ONE Gorgon Eye. I missed that fork-route in the beginning of the game too, so I KNOW the eye was there. :(
I know I missed a chest right in front of my eyes in
Hera's Garden
, but there was like 6 more special looking chests that I found after that which only gave me red orbs. That signifies that I already maxed out whatever it was gonna give me.

You probably missed a shitton more than just one. Have you use
Helios's head
everywhere.

It's funny. I think that this has arguably the best visuals of the big 3 (UC2, KZ2, GOW3), I mean who can say which is actually the best. But because of the style and scale, I also think it has the most room for improvement.

What the fuck man.

Cronos swallows me and then what? I can't do anything I just keep dying when he swallows more shit. What the fuck

Seriously. It's not even HALF obvious what to do here.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Also I seriously
cannot win against the fucking floor spikes room in the Labyrinth. I'm getting really annoyed by it...

JWong

Banned
2 Minutes Turkish said:
What the fuck man.

Cronos swallows me and then what? I can't do anything I just keep dying when he swallows more shit. What the fuck

Took me a while.

Go down, fast.
Kagari said:
Also I seriously
cannot win against the fucking floor spikes room in the Labyrinth. I'm getting really annoyed by it...
That's seriously the hardest part in the game. It's gonna be impossible on Titan.

They really should have put a checkpoint when you go into the second phase of spikes. Siren's are so retarded.

bridegur

I just started the
Hercules
fight, and even though everything else is top notch, the writing and voice acting seem to actually be worse than the last two games. Comically bad. About how far am I, do you suppose?

2 Minutes Turkish said:
What the fuck man.

I died a bunch on this part...you need to slide down with R1...don't go up.

JWong said:
Took me a while.

Go down, fast.

That's seriously the hardest part in the game. It's gonna be impossible on Titan.

They really should have put a checkpoint when you go into the second phase of spikes. Siren's are so retarded.

Really, tried that too. R1 glitch strikes again I guess.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
JWong said:
Took me a while.

Go down, fast.

YES. YES I AGREE. Almost rage-quit inducing...

Phatcorns

bridegur said:
I just started the
Hercules
fight, and even though everything else is top notch, the writing and voice acting seem to actually be worse than the last two games. Comically bad. About how far am I, do you suppose?

I don't know for sure, but maybe half way. That fight seemed like ages ago to me even though I just beat the game.

dralla

Kagari said:
Also I seriously
i remember someone compared that part to the columns in GoW1. took me a while but
basically I used magic only when the spikes were up, this way I was sure they wouldn't pop up in the middle of the animation. and air dash w/ hermes boots to avoid spikes.

Played a bit more today instead of FFXIII since I was busy and don't like getting real immersed in an RPG when I can only play for an hour or two. Got up to the
Smith guy.
This game is really beautiful and combat is pretty fun. So far, I don't LOVE the game but I'm sure that will change.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
dralla said:
i remember someone compared that part to the columns in GoW1. took me a while but
basically I used magic only when the spikes were up, this way I was sure they wouldn't pop up in the middle of the animation. and air dash w/ hermes boots to avoid spikes.

Hmm, will try that... I just have a hard time targeting the harpie in time ><

Kagari said:
YES. YES I AGREE. Almost rage-quit inducing...

Do what I did: RUN!

Seriously, all you have to do is run in that entire cube.
Force the enemies into the spikes. There is a very common pattern that you can memorize (I did lol).

1. Bottom Left.
2. Top left.
3. Right half.
4. Entire board.

Make sure all (or atleast most of the enemies) die in the spike. Run away from spikes as soon as you see the smoke coming out of it. As soon as the boob-vulture shows up, Hold on to it and DO NOT RIP IT NO MATTER WHAT.

Cube will roll. Now, the spikes will show up diagonally. Memorize the pattern and do the same. Again, hold on to the boob-vulture (LOL) in the end.

It took me a couple of tries but really, It's a simple pattern that you look out for and again... RUN! DO NOT ATTACK. Only attack when needed to. Dodge all the time.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
shagg_187 said:
Do what I did: RUN!

Seriously, all you have to do is run in that entire cube.
Force the enemies into the spikes. There is a very common pattern that you can memorize (I did lol).

1. Bottom Left.
2. Top left.
3. Right half.
4. Entire board.

Make sure all (or atleast most of the enemies) die in the spike. Run away from spikes as soon as you see the smoke coming out of it. As soon as the boob-vulture shows up, Hold on to it and DO NOT RIP IT NO MATTER WHAT.

Cube will roll. Now, the spikes will show up diagonally. Memorize the pattern and do the same. Again, hold on to the boob-vulture (LOL) in the end.

It took me a couple of tries but really, It's a simple pattern that you look out for and again... RUN! DO NOT ATTACK. Only attack when needed to. Dodge all the time.

WILL ALSO TRY.
I don't understand how spikes can kill Kratos, mang.

Kagari said:
WILL ALSO TRY.
I don't understand how spikes can kill Kratos, mang.
In the videogame world, spikes trump everything. This rule was laid down by Mario, and all games since tremble at the thought of disobeying.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
abiiiitiitititititititjbboooobity

booooptoooo

quaaaack

Phatcorns

Chromax said:
Why didn't I finish Dante's Inferno before I started this game? How do I go back after this?!?

I know an idiot (in gaming taste) who thought that game was better than this based on the GOW E3 demo. If the full game doesn't convince him, there's no hope.

JWong

Banned
2 Minutes Turkish said:
I'm in that room with the ballista and the portals. Anyone know
how I get the two chests within the cages hanging?
Lower the thing and then shoot through the portal.

Jtrizzy

The battle with
Chronos where he keeps knocking me off his arm
is getting annoying. I keep dying...wish R3 was the stick used instead of the left.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
the music in Hades is superb

edit: the forge, specifically

Top Bottom