• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III |OT|

Simo

Argh, the torture! I just got back from my local Gamestop store after trading in Heavy Rain and I got talking with the manager about the midnight release and how many people are expected to show up. Lo and behold as we're talking UPS shows up and the guy goes "Oh, here's our shipment of God of War 3 now!". Bastard. :lol

Not long now but the wait is killing me!

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Simo said:
Argh, the torture! I just got back from my local Gamestop store after trading in Heavy Rain and I got talking with the manager about the midnight release and how many people are expected to show up. Lo and behold as we're talking UPS shows up and the guy goes "Oh, here's our shipment of God of War 3 now!". Bastard. :lol

If companies are already getting shipments, I don't understand why Amazon can't do release date delivery for the Ultimate Edition. Fucccccckkkkk, I want it on release day!

roxya

Quicksilva said:
I've got to finish FF13 before this comes out or Kratos will not be pleased! For some reason I have to finish 1 game at a time, not sure why :S

Kind of the same for me, but in this case it's for FF13's sake. When God of War 3 arrives, whatever game is in my PS3 is going to be removed so fast it'll break the sound barrier.

gbovo

Simo said:

How many people did they expect to show up for the midnight launch? Also, how many preorders did that store have?

Jim

Just random thoughts.

About 9 hours in... and holy crap, some of the most epic things to ever happen in a game. And then there's the mini-game
which surprisingly, is much closer to the end than in 1 and 2
:eek:

I've been playing on Titan (Hard) and it's definitely more punishing than Hard in GoW 1/2. You have to make use of the different weapons, techniques and abilities or you're dead. Much deeper than the first 2 games. There's times when you literally need to hold back in taking out a certain enemy with a finisher so you can use their context sensitive actions against other enemies. You definitely have to make use of the parry/counters quite a lot.

And there's no way that they should be able to do some of the game in real-time, and I mean the playable stuff, not just the story scenes.

The area that was in the demo is significantly different in structure in the real game for anyone that's wondering.

Great Official Thread BTW!

JWong

Banned
Rapping Granny said:
mjuv7t.jpg

It would be awesome if they gave out these blades at a contest like the Uncharted 2 dagger.
I watched the vid like 20 times already, but I just noticed the GoW3 Slurpee. :lol

Simo

gbovo said:
How many people did they expect to show up for the midnight launch? Also, how many preorders did that store have?

He wouldn't release numbers but said there should be a significant turn out and the biggest one they've done yet. I mean the guys there told me they were doing a midnight release a month or so ago before GS announced anything based on how many preorders they had.

One thing he told me I thought was interesting is that they have just as many preorders for the ultimate edition than they do for the standard. Again I found it interesting because It's still a fairly new GS store and I was the only one who preordered the Mass Effect 2 CE when it came out.

Has anyone been able to download the wallpapers from godofwar.com? I wanted to grab them but the website's coding seems funky and the links don't actually work for me... :(

beast786

Jim said:
Just random thoughts.

The area that was in the demo is significantly different in structure in the real game for anyone that's wondering.

I agree 100%

One question. I am at the part of the demo. Can you tell me how far I am in the game?

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Deepack said:
Any spoilers in the Kevin Butler commercial?

edit: actually watching again, he looks like he is playing the first boss battle, which has been shown in videos.

Jim said:
Much deeper than the first 2 games. There's times when you literally need to hold back in taking out a certain enemy with a finisher so you can use their context sensitive actions against other enemies. You definitely have to make use of the parry/counters quite a lot.

Greatest thing that I didn't expect to hear.

Jim said:
I've been playing on Titan (Hard) and it's definitely more punishing than Titan on GoW 1/2. You have to make use of the different weapons, techniques and abilities or you're dead. Much deeper than the first 2 games. There's times when you literally need to hold back in taking out a certain enemy with a finisher so you can use their context sensitive actions against other enemies. You definitely have to make use of the parry/counters quite a lot.

Crap, so I guess I will play on "Normal" then...is it normal or called something else?

Deepack said:
Any spoilers in the Kevin Butler commercial?

I suppose a little, if you haven't seen the most recent trailer.
I think it's all footage from the demo and the latest trailer:

Demo stuff with Kratos jumping at Cronos and footage from the starting 10 minutes where you're fighting the water horse crab thing on Gaia's arm

Jim said:
Just random thoughts.

About 9 hours in... and holy crap, some of the most epic things to ever happen in a game. And then there's the mini-game
which surprisingly, is much closer to the end than in 1 and 2
:eek:

I've been playing on Titan (Hard) and it's definitely more punishing than Titan on GoW 1/2. You have to make use of the different weapons, techniques and abilities or you're dead. Much deeper than the first 2 games. There's times when you literally need to hold back in taking out a certain enemy with a finisher so you can use their context sensitive actions against other enemies. You definitely have to make use of the parry/counters quite a lot.

And there's no way that they should be able to do some of the game in real-time, and I mean the playable stuff, not just the story scenes.

Hype + 100000, that's the kind of things I want to hear, better tuned hard difficulty, and reworked demo level (which I think is a random mess in the demo).

Fimbulvetr said:
Greatest thing that I didn't expect to hear.

This is what I was asking in the "reviews are out" thread... I remember hearing one developer saying "you won't be able to button mash and spam [] to play...". I'm so glad to hear this wasn't just fluff.

Firewire

Banned
So has anyone figured out the story on the red controller that Kevin Butler is using in the commercial? GOW3 bundle incoming or something?

Jim

Lion Heart said:
Crap, so I guess I will play on "Normal" then...is it normal or called something else?

It's Normal.

I was shocked (almost embarrassed) at how many times I had to restart from certain checkpoints in the first half of the game on Titan. It does seem to get easier once you power up some weapons and learn the new strategies. Many of the old ones don't work. And this was coming off of beating the GoW Collection on Hard.

You have to mix in the right abilities and the right weapon (and magic which is tied to a weapon now) in many circumstances. Real time weapon/ability switching is there for a reason. It's probably more forgiving on Normal.

Firewire said:
So has anyone figured out the story on the red controller that Kevin Butler is using in the commercial? GOW3 bundle incoming or something?
It's just a Red DualShock 3... it's mentioned in the manual also.

beast786 said:
One question. I am at the part of the demo. Can you tell me how far I am in the game?

I'm not done yet so hard to tell. How many hours into the game are you, and what difficulty? I'd guess
1/3rd? maybe slightly more

beast786

Jim said:
It's Normal.

I was shocked (almost embarrassed) at how many times I had to restart from certain checkpoints in the first half of the game on Titan. It does seem to get easier once you power up some weapons and learn the new strategies. Many of the old ones don't work. And this was coming off of beating the GoW Collection on Hard.

You have to mix in the right abilities and the right weapon (and magic which is tied to a weapon now) in many circumstances. Real time weapon/ability switching is there for a reason.

You didnt answere my question?

:((((

corrosivefrost said:
This is what I was asking in the "reviews are out" thread... I remember hearing one developer saying "you won't be able to button mash and spam [] to play...". I'm so glad to hear this wasn't just fluff.

Agreed.

Hype is now squared.

beast786

Jim said:
I'm not done yet so hard to tell. How many hours into the game are you, and what difficulty? I'd guess
1/3rd? maybe slightly more

Yep, on normal.
I am about about 3:45 into it when I got to the demo part. The hades Boss fight was so freaking epic. And like you said. This game is NOT EASY. I felt like a noob when it recommended easy at one point because i was dying so much :lol

Firewire

Banned
Jim said:
It's just a Red DualShock 3... it's mentioned in the manual also.

Have red controllers already been on the market or does the manual advertise a new one coming? GOW3 branded?

All I've ever seen in stores are white, silver and black.

Cruzader

Banned
Firewire said:
Have red controllers already been on the market or does the manual advertise a new one coming? GOW3 branded?

All I've ever seen in stores are white, silver and black.

Check Amazon.(US)

They have Black,Blue,White,Silver and Red.

Denzar

neojubei said:
edit: actually watching again, he looks like he is playing the first boss battle, which has been shown in videos.
Ok, thanks.

Have not watched any footage except for trailers. Will watch once I finish the game.

protonion

It wasn't easy but...

224b48fe.jpg

5a622867.jpg

euro GOW3 is in my hands!!!

I'm waiting for two friends to come over before I play.
Tonight will be epic!

-viper-

Banned
protonion said:
It wasn't easy but...

http://i1011.photobucket.com/albums/af240/DimitrisStr/224b48fe.jpg[/IMG

[IMG]http://i1011.photobucket.com/albums/af240/DimitrisStr/5a622867.jpg[/IMG

Tonight will be epic![/QUOTE]
Why are you waiting for your friends? Personally I'd hate to play with my friends. I hate sharing the controller when playing games :P

You should savour every moment of the game by yourself instead :P

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
-viper- said:
Yeah, I heard, but it still sounds crap. The English voice she used in GOW1 and GOW2 sounded far better.

I don't know if you're talking about the accent or the post processing they've added in GOW3, but I think it's an improvement. I actually thought it was ridiculous when the voice of a 4 foot tall senior citizen was coming out of Gaia with little digital alteration in GOW2. Her delivery worked great in GOW1, before we knew who it was, but in GOW2 I thought it was weird, and I assume that's what they're trying to address with the changes. Now she sounds bigger, at least.

Oni Jazar

Jim said:
Just random thoughts.

Sounds crazy. I've played through the GOW games on Hard (beat GOW1 & GOW PSP, almost through GOW2 currently). It's been manageable so far but this sound brutal!

It'll definitely lengthen the game for me though! I'm eager to take it on!

Denzar

protonion said:
It wasn't easy but...

Tonight will be epic!

How'd you get it?

Retail? Theft? Robbed a delivery truck?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Thanks Jim for the impressions. Finally someone that goes deeper into the combat system and gameplay details (where the evil is).

Filldough

Nice official Thread!

My hype is way too high for this game. I even bought the collection to tide me over and forgot how epic those games were. Its been fun catching up on the story, absolutely cannot wait to play 3. This has also been my most successful media blackout so I'm going in relatively fresh. I broke down and played the Demo but other than that I've had little exposure so reading impressions has been a bit torturous!

jmd494

Jim said:
I've been playing on Titan (Hard) and it's definitely more punishing than Titan on GoW 1/2.

Whoa whoa whoa...is it really more challenging than Titan mode in GoW 2? IIRC, the difficulties in each game were:

- GoW 1 = Mortal (Easy), Hero (Medium), Spartan (Hard), God (Unlockable Very Hard)
- GoW 2 = Mortal (Easy), Spartan (Medium), God (Hard), Titan (Unlockable Very Hard)
- GoW 3 = Spartan (Easy), God (Normal), Titan (Hard), and Chaos (Unlockable Very Hard)

Are you saying GoW 3's hard mode is more difficult than GoW 2's very hard mode? Or are you saying GoW 3's hard mode is more difficult than GoW 2's hard mode? If the former, my chances of beating GoW 3's chaos mode are zilch. I can't imagine one step up from GoW 2's Titan mode, let alone 2.

So my local Gamecrazy store is closing shop :(

It is just couple of blocks from where I live. I knew the dudes who worked there. Yesterday I went to pick up FF 13 and I had extra credit from trading old games. I told him to put it on GoW 3 pre-order and he said they're not getting any GoW 3 shipments because they're closing shop. He said they're not making enough profits in a downturn economy. He gave me the credit in cash. Man, that struck me. These guys were some of the most passionate gamers I've ever seen, and they absolutely loved their job. I could sense an air of disappointment from them. He told me sorry they wouldn't get to order GoW 3 and told me I can still pre-order from Gamestop or Amazon. I just hope they find a better place to work. Shitty shit happens only to the nicest people. I pre-ordered mine from Amazon. But, I'm still sad over the whole thing.

Cyberia

Old?

Sony Santa Monica working on two new projects

Sony Santa Monica has announced it has two new projects in pre-production at the studio: a week before its most recent project, God of War III, launches.

John Hight, product development director at the studio, told MTV:

“We’re jumping right back in, I’ve got a small concept team working on our next product for us.

“We’re actually gonna do something different this time, we’re gonna have a short-term concept, a game that we hope to turn out.”

So when can we expect to hear of this new project?

“I’m not gonna say when.”

Oh.

“But then, we have a much longer term concept team going through, two teams going on at once.

“One with a kind-of long-range, ‘Here’s what we’re gonna do years down the road’, and then another one that’s, ‘Here’s what we’re gonna do as the very next project’.”

Awesome stuff. As for now, God of War III is due out for release next week for PS3.

http://www.vg247.com/2010/03/10/sony-santa-monica-working-on-two-new-projects/

Top Bottom