• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III |OT|

Jim

Justin Dailey said:
Whoa whoa whoa...is it really more challenging than Titan mode in GoW 2? IIRC, the difficulties in each game were:

- GoW 1 = Mortal (Easy), Hero (Medium), Spartan (Hard), God (Unlockable Very Hard)
- GoW 2 = Mortal (Easy), Spartan (Medium), God (Hard), Titan (Unlockable Very Hard)
- GoW 3 = Spartan (Easy), God (Normal), Titan (Hard), and Chaos (Unlockable Very Hard)

Are you saying GoW 3's hard mode is more difficult than GoW 2's very hard mode? Or are you saying GoW 3's hard mode is more difficult than GoW 2's hard mode? If the former, my chances of beating GoW 3's chaos mode are zilch. I can't imagine one step up from GoW 2's Titan mode, let alone 2.

GoW 3's hard mode is more difficult than GoW 2's hard mode. I keep forgetting they changed the labels.

Justin Dailey said:
Are you saying GoW 3's hard mode is more difficult than GoW 2's very hard mode? Or are you saying GoW 3's hard mode is more difficult than GoW 2's hard mode? If the former, my chances of beating GoW 3's chaos mode are zilch. I can't imagine one step up from GoW 2's Titan mode, let alone 2.
well IMO, the hardest difficulty in GoW 1 is waaaay more harder than the hardest difficulty in 2. At points, GoW 1 seems unrefined for the hardest difficulty.

Magnus

Hey guys, I posted some misinformation regarding the "new game +" mode for this game in the other thread, since I didn't understand it fully at the time. There is in fact, no carry over as I had thought previously, of upgraded weapons, health, magic or item bar use. The only carryover is (not a story spoiler, just tagging in case people don't want to know)
the godly 'relics' that you find throughout the game on your first playthrough which can then be activated on your repeat playthroughs. They disable trophies in that run, and provide effects like, instant magic/item-use regeneration, forced health degeneration (yes, you read that right; must be a trophy attached to completing a sequence with that on), infinite rage of Sparta mode, hit-counter multiplication on all enemies, etc.)

jmd494

Magnus said:
Hey guys, I posted some misinformation regarding the "new game +" mode for this game in the other thread, since I didn't understand it fully at the time. There is in fact, no carry over as I had thought previously, of upgraded weapons, health, magic or item bar use. The only carryover is (not a story spoiler, just tagging in case people don't want to know)
the godly 'relics' that you find throughout the game on your first playthrough which can then be activated on your repeat playthroughs. They disable trophies in that run, and provide effects like, instant magic/item-use regeneration, forced health degeneration (yes, you read that right; must be a trophy attached to completing a sequence with that on), infinite rage of Sparta mode, hit-counter multiplication on all enemies, etc.)
What?! No new game plus...that blows. I was planning on four play-throughs: 1) titan, 2) chaos, 3) chaos with maxed out weapons, and 4) easy (for trophy cleanup).

koene

RustyNails said:
well IMO, the hardest difficulty in GoW 1 is waaaay more harder than the hardest difficulty in 2. At points, GoW 1 seems unrefined for the hardest difficulty.

hmm, I don't really agree. Once you upgraded Poseidon's Rage, GoW I becomes pretty easy. It's way overpowered. Maybe the room just before you got to pandora's box was the hardest, but you could simply skip that part :)

I found that the battle to Clotho in GoW II was the hardest fight on Titan. But it was so much fun! I used to play that part over and over again.

protonion said:
It wasn't easy but...

http://i1011.photobucket.com/albums/af240/DimitrisStr/224b48fe.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i1011.photobucket.com/albums/af240/DimitrisStr/5a622867.jpg[IMG]

euro GOW3 is in my hands!!!

I'm waiting for two friends to come over before I play.
Tonight will be epic![/QUOTE]

You bastard. You lucky bastard.

ZeroRay

Reading Jim's impressions got me even more hyped for this.

Still debating over whether to jump straight into Titan mode or start off on Normal and enjoy the ride and then move up after beating it.

Decisions, decisions...

ZeroRay said:
Reading Jim's impressions got me even more hyped for this.

Still debating over whether to jump straight into Titan mode or start off on Normal and enjoy the ride and then move up after beating it.

Decisions, decisions...
Titan mode for me. Kratos earns his name!

cornerman

Magnus said:
I confess, I don't think I ever successfully countered (or found the need to counter) in the game, not once. I don't think I even employed the use of block all that often.

You rarely need those on normal. GoW move set and combat depth is really found in advanced difficulty settings. I've beaten them all on their hardest settings. When playing on normal, I'm unitentionally extremely conservative as the game is designed for completion. Play it on God Mode or Titan mode, and you'll find yourself actually using the magic chests, blocking, dodging, and using moves you wouldn't think twice of using on Normal.

There are alot of things you can block and counter. And for those you can't, rolling works. Its not as shallow as people tend to label it.

So hyped for this that I'm seeing button prompts on the screen when watching trailers for Clash of the Titans and episodes of Spartacus.

cornerman

Rikyfree said:
Man I don't think I can do titan mode on the GoW collection, let alone on GoW3. Kinda weird considering that I beat the original Ninja Gaiden on Very Hard, which is supposedly harder to do, yet I cannot get past the damn colossus in the first damn part. And I didn't use that flying swallow technique alot in Ninja Gaiden either, I fought hard and smart to beat that bastard. GRRRRR :mad:

which section of the fight do you die on? You can pretty much defeat him without getting hit, depending on the section and your positioning.

Talon

cornerman said:
You rarely need those on normal. GoW move set and combat depth is really found in advanced difficulty settings. I've beaten them all on their hardest settings. When playing on normal, I'm unitentionally extremely conservative as the game is designed for completion. Play it on God Mode or Titan mode, and you'll find yourself actually using the magic chests, blocking, dodging, and using moves you wouldn't think twice of using on Normal.

There are alot of things you can block and counter. And for those you can't, rolling works. Its not as shallow as people tend to label it.
Even still, I'd argue that the advanced combat (particularly in 1) seemed...unintentional? The rolling in particular has never felt precise. More importantly, the lock-in combos make me wish for better move-cancellation. You can cancel out of most of the basic combos, but the L1+Button attacks almost become unusable against the more challenging enemies.

All things considered, GoW's done a great job of appealing across the spectrum with the combat. Few games make you feel so badass with little effort (and that's not a criticism at all).

EDIT: What I'm trying to say with that first part is that the game doesn't seem balanced with difficulty in mind. That is, the difficulty comes from the mechanics a little too often for my tastes. I'd assume III's improved in those regards.

Simo said:
Argh, the torture! I just got back from my local Gamestop store after trading in Heavy Rain and I got talking with the manager about the midnight release and how many people are expected to show up. Lo and behold as we're talking UPS shows up and the guy goes "Oh, here's our shipment of God of War 3 now!". Bastard. :lol

Not long now but the wait is killing me!
How much did they give you for HR (including the extra 50%)?

Cyberia said:
Old?

Sony Santa Monica working on two new projects

Sony Santa Monica has announced it has two new projects in pre-production at the studio: a week before its most recent project, God of War III, launches.

John Hight, product development director at the studio, told MTV:

“We’re jumping right back in, I’ve got a small concept team working on our next product for us.

“We’re actually gonna do something different this time, we’re gonna have a short-term concept, a game that we hope to turn out.”

So when can we expect to hear of this new project?

“I’m not gonna say when.”

Oh.

“But then, we have a much longer term concept team going through, two teams going on at once.

“One with a kind-of long-range, ‘Here’s what we’re gonna do years down the road’, and then another one that’s, ‘Here’s what we’re gonna do as the very next project’.”

Awesome stuff. As for now, God of War III is due out for release next week for PS3.

http://www.vg247.com/2010/03/10/sony-santa-monica-working-on-two-new-projects/

One's probably the next god of war game(Long term) and the next project is something totally new. That's what I guess.

Filldough

Talon- said:
Even still, I'd argue that the advanced combat (particularly in 1) seemed...unintentional? The rolling in particular has never felt precise. More importantly, the lock-in combos make me wish for better move-cancellation. You can cancel out of most of the basic combos, but the L1+Button attacks almost become unusable against the more challenging enemies.

All things considered, GoW's done a great job of appealing across the spectrum with the combat. Few games make you feel so badass with little effort (and that's not a criticism at all).

EDIT: What I'm trying to say with that first part is that the game doesn't seem balanced with difficulty in mind. That is, the difficulty comes from the mechanics a little too often for my tastes. I'd assume III's improved in those regards.

Oh man, the L1 attacks start to become a real bitch later on. I had totally forgotten about that until playing again recently, you basically have to use em like finishers since they leave you so completely open. It also doesnt help that block is L1 since I find myself accidentally doing the L1 attacks and getting countered by enemies. Fuck the wait for 3 is starting to become unbearable.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
vlgame013990.jpg

Japanese boxart.

RavenFox

Banned
RustyNails said:
So my local Gamecrazy store is closing shop :(

It is just couple of blocks from where I live. I knew the dudes who worked there. Yesterday I went to pick up FF 13 and I had extra credit from trading old games. I told him to put it on GoW 3 pre-order and he said they're not getting any GoW 3 shipments because they're closing shop. He said they're not making enough profits in a downturn economy. He gave me the credit in cash. Man, that struck me. These guys were some of the most passionate gamers I've ever seen, and they absolutely loved their job. I could sense an air of disappointment from them. He told me sorry they wouldn't get to order GoW 3 and told me I can still pre-order from Gamestop or Amazon. I just hope they find a better place to work. Shitty shit happens only to the nicest people. I pre-ordered mine from Amazon. But, I'm still sad over the whole thing.
That does indeed suck. Good luck to those cool dudes.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
rather have a kinetica reboot. or imagine a next gen wave racer, downhill domination or jet moto. ok let me stop. (just saying they should make a non-sim racing game) :X

Nizz

BattleMonkey said:
So hyped for this that I'm seeing button prompts on the screen when watching trailers for Clash of the Titans and episodes of Spartacus.
:lol :lol That's pretty awesome. GoW3 next week, and Clash of the Titans on the big screen April 2nd. Good times if you're into Greek mythology in your entertainment.

Salz01

Doc Evils said:
Don't be surprised if they do a Heavenly Sword reboot.

I dont see SMS doing it, but I can see another dev picking it up and trying to attempt it. Played it again this past weekend to get hyped for GOW3, and its good in places, and overall still sort of fun.

gbovo

Animator said:
That would be like Pixar doing a Delgo remake.
If anyone studio were to make a sequel to Heavenly Sword, it would probably be Sony Cambridge, since they helped out a lot in developing HS beyond just technical support.

Salz01 said:
I dont see SMS doing it, but I can see another dev picking it up and trying to attempt it. Played it again this past weekend to get hyped for GOW3, and its good in places, and overall still sort of fun.

I actually just sold mine yesterday, the combat always felt off to me and it was merely a god of war substitute that wasn't as refined to me as I thought it should be. Since I'll now have all 3 god of war games on my ps3, I didn't feel the need to keep it any more. :)

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
My girlfriend just did the sweetest thing ever. Her friend's cousin owns a game retailer and she got me a copy which she will pick up for me tomorrow! Huzzah!

AgentWhiskersX said:
My girlfriend just did the sweetest thing ever. Her friend's cousin owns a game retailer and she got me a copy which she will pick up for me tomorrow! Huzzah!

IF I didn't have FF and BFBC2 to keep me occupied I would be insanely jealous, as it is I am just jealous.

Kittonwy

Banned
AgentWhiskersX said:

It's a trap!
Indifferent2.gif

Raist

Banned
RavenFox said:
Then reduce the size. what's the problem? It's not like this hasn't been done before.

Fine. I'll play around with this one, gonna take some time because I'm not just going to paste the text and be done with it. :D

AgentWhiskersX said:

Get ready to do some muff diving.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
hmm, what happened I thought the eu release date was march 19th, but everwhere I look it seems to be 17th

not that I'm complaining but some clarification would be nice

Top Bottom