• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III |OT|

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
AgentWhiskersX said:
Seriously, I don't know why people want more color in the Killzone universe. It's meant to look that drab and muted.
KZ2 has really smart use of color. It's incredibly stylized. But this is kind of a dumb discussion that has been going on for a year. God of War 3's color palette is muted compared to the second-- it's more in line with the first. There aren't really any gigantic blue vistas like the Steeds of Time because Kratos
shuts off the sun
:lol

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
Y2Kev said:
KZ2 has really smart use of color. It's incredibly stylized. But this is kind of a dumb discussion that has been going on for a year. God of War 3's color palette is muted compared to the second-- it's more in line with the first. There aren't really any gigantic blue vistas like the Steeds of Time because Kratos
shuts off the sun
And it suits the God of War series much better I believe.

tirminyl

And done. This game is awesome! I've ignored my friends, gone to bed late, and arrived to work late.

The scale is just insane. I have to admin that in the final battle...stop spoiling yourself....with Zeus, when a Titan is crawling up the mountain, I thought it was a cut scene so I stopped fighting and just started watching it only to realize it wasn't a cut scene and that I was supposed to keep fighting. lol

Also, did anyone here when Zeus said that Gaea should have picked the other one?

Why did Kratos keep looking for something to kill a god, when he has been killing them left and right?

Kratos is still a god right? He died as a god but did he remain one or just keep his demi-god status?

shagg_187 said:
Took me 11 hours to beat the game (including changing the difficulty from hard to easy in the last 30 minutes).

Fucking ass,
Fire Cerberus pussied me out.

:lol Me too!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
AgentWhiskersX said:
And it suits the God of War series much better I believe.
Hmm.

I haven't finished the game, but I am missing the environmental variety that the second game provided. The colour palette played a big part in it. Like, the woods area was greeny, the temple of fates was red etc

So far, everything in God 3 has a very similar look. I mean, at least it's consistent, but at the same time walking into a new area doesn't have the same jaw-dropping 'whoa' God 2 threw at you every hour or so. God 3 has a very specific style, a very specific type of 'wow moment' that is used fairly often. It works, don't get me wrong, but I'm a sucker for environmental diversity.

Granted, I haven't finished yet. Just killed (pretty significant spoilers)
the forge dude, hephestus

This post might sound negative, but it's just a comment on one specific area. The game has been awesome so far.

Ashhong

can someone tell me really quick if the game saves are locked? i want to start playing this week but i'll be playing on different PS3s, and dont want to be starting all over when i switch

VariantX04

Rez said:
Hmm.

I haven't finished the game, but I am missing the environmental variety that the second game provided. The colour palette played a big part in it. Like, the woods area was greeny, the temple of fates was red etc

So far, everything in God 3 has a very similar look. I mean, at least it's consistent, but at the same time walking into a new area doesn't have the same jaw-dropping 'whoa' God 2 threw at you every hour or so. God 3 has a very specific style, a very specific type of 'wow moment' that is used fairly often. It works, don't get me wrong, but I'm a sucker for environmental diversity.

Granted, I haven't finished yet. Just killed (pretty significant spoilers)
the forge dude, hephestus

This post might sound negative, but it's just a comment on one specific area. The game has been awesome so far.
I understand where you're coming from but I always found the previous entries more colorful and the enemies more cartoony for the setting and lore. GoW3 hits the proper chord for what I believe the series should look like.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I agree that there's less color variety, but, given where you say you are in the game, is there really less environmental variety? In terms of architectural designs and stuff...I think it's pretty loaded.

Have every trophy but hit man and challenge of olympus...

Really wish I could just start a game with all my stuff and just do it real quick but haven't found a way. :(

(beat it on titan. 12 hours. Holy crap is it hard)

And Poseidon Princess > Aphrodite

YYZ

Try this out for fun. Only read if you've gotten the fourth weapon.
After killing Hephaestus, you can knock his head around like a rag doll (just jump and attack). It's so simple, but it's fun and looks hilarious since it's so big. Eventually it will go into a sideways cocked position and be really funny looking. I wish it were a hidden trophy or something. You can reset it by going in and out of the hyperion gate.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Y2Kev said:
I agree that there's less color variety, but, given where you say you are in the game, is there really less environmental variety? In terms of architectural designs and stuff...I think it's pretty loaded.
I don't want to harp on about it, it isn't a huge issue, really, but while I'm moving between different areas, they all feel very similar.

There's the (phenomenal) looking cave-like areas, the Greek temple-like areas and the Hades themed areas (which are like a mix of the caves and the temples). I mean, that's very reductive, there's so many awesome things happening in all those areas and lots and lots of unique structures and the like, it just isn't, like: BAM greek city BAM island temple BAM steads of time over the ocean BAM foresty swamp BAM atlas BAM bridge structure BAM fate temple BAM golden throne room thing BAM cob-webbed underground, etc. Each area in God 3 seems to conform to a very similar style, which makes it feel less diverse.

It's probably very psychological, and I feel it has a lot to do with the colour-scheme, I guess.

-PXG-

MickeyKnox said:
Are you deaf? He did a teeeerrrrrible job, and he looked even more baked in the behind the scenes video this time around than he did on GoW2's bonus content (and he was really fucking high in those clips) Everyone else did really good work.

Brother Carson will not approve of this post. High or not, I thought he did a good job. I wouldn't want anyone else doing Kratos' voice.

Rez said:
I don't want to harp on about it, it isn't a huge issue, really, but while I'm moving between different areas, they all feel very similar.

There's the (phenomenal) looking cave-like areas, the Greek temple-like areas and the Hades themed areas (which are like a mix of the caves and the temples). I mean, that's very reductive, there's so many awesome things happening in all those areas and lots and lots of unique structures and the like, it just isn't, like: BAM greek city BAM island temple BAM steads of time over the ocean BAM foresty swamp BAM atlas BAM bridge structure BAM fate temple BAM golden throne room thing BAM cob-webbed underground, etc. Each area in God 3 seems to conform to a very similar style, which makes it feel less diverse.

It's probably very psychological,
and I feel it has a lot to do with the colour-scheme, I guess.
Yep, and it''s hinged on the fact that as diverse as all the structures are, the whole game takes place in the same geographic location as opposed to going all over the Aegean like in the previous game.

simtmb

Kak.efes said:
Anyone else experience extreme slowdown in certain parts? As well as garbled sound, and skipping?

Yep, mine was actually quite terrible as it became constant later on throughout the game. Though i'm guessing since it was a +30 degrees celcius of a day and i played from start to finish in one sitting, that it was merely a overheating issue. My game disc is perfect.

The problems i experienced were:
-Sound skipping (mainly bgm). At several instances the sound kept repeating. Another problem was that in some in-game cutscenes (about 2, i wont mention which ones). The sound, mostly voice-overs skipped. One time it was quite jarring in that it wasn't in sync with Kratos talking, then sped up and fixed itself later within the scene.
-This one isn't really an issue, but some cutscenes (pre-rendered) paused and basically loaded = PS3 overheating of course (nothing wrong with the disc, and perfectly fine through about 80% of the game before (this was around the end)).
-After pausing the game for around 5-10minutes, unpausing it, the game would be frozen and load for awhile before resuming (overheat again, no doubt).

Basically, all to do with overheating and thus loading imo. Not the game. 40GB PS3 here btw.

But the worst issue of all, the trigger to save at save points took at times, about a minute+ to appear for me. (Hey, it doesn't sound long, but i just wanted to save!) So in some instances, i had to leave Kratos standing there just to save. Then it took about 30secs to just load the prompt up :(

And that's about it :lol
'God' i loved it.
:D

reKon

Banned
How the fuck could edge give this game an 8? Which game were they playing? I don't care that it's a good score and I'm not here to bitch about reviews, but I really don't understand at all :lol .

This game was so brilliantly designed and the combat is AMAZING. They provided Kratos with such a large moveset and you can be very creative with the combat. The puzzles were absolutely genius in design (not that hard, but not ridiculously easy). Most fun I've had playing a game in a long.

I'm nearing end of it, but I have to sleep because of school + work. I should be finishing this masterpiece tomorrow.

VariantX04

What's with the spartansstandtall website that you're informed about after unlocking the Platinum trophy? There's nothing there.

Rikyfree

AgentWhiskersX said:
What's with the spartansstandtall website that you're informed about after unlocking the Platinum trophy? There's nothing there.
There will be... I've already said too much! Sony ninjas are watching!

Just got to the second boss.
Hades
I've already got about 2 hours into this save. I've read the game is about 8-10 hours length on average difficulty. So am I like 1/4 of the way through the game at this point ?
(Hopefully less because I don't want it to end)

VariantX04

Kratos pretty much made
Hades'
life a nightmare. :lol

He escaped Hades a bunch of times, annihilated his lady, and beat the living shit out of him and devoured his motherfucking soul.

Bloodrage

Banned
AgentWhiskersX said:
God of War: Rise of Kratos for PS3, coming March 2012 with 300 fps @ 1080p.

Believe.

ScrubJay

My only complaint so far is that the game seems to register you as blocking for maybe a second or so after you release L1. I've tried to attack many times out of a block and the game performs the flashy L1+Square moves that leave you vulnerable. Fortunately those moves don't leave you as open as in the previous games but it's still annoying.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Got this last night. Had a quick dinner, popped it in, started, beat
Poseidon (dude, seriously, what a fight!)
, and hoped the game would maintain this level of awesomeness. Fortunatly, it didn't, the further I went, the more awesome was being poured down on me. Considering I need to work from time to time, I put down the controller after
Hades, sweet jesus, that battle just pissed all over the Poseidon one

Just one question:
I found Hades' helmet after defeating him. Did Poseidon drop something as well and I missed it?

KAOz

Short bus special
Going to fire up Titan-mode today.

Which is scaring me a bit. But after completing all the Challenges, and the main game twice, I feel more comfortable.

So, does anyone got any good tips for how to do it?

neorej said:
Just one question:
I found Hades' helmet after defeating him. Did Poseidon drop something as well and I missed it?

You can find it later. :D

Just finished this a bit ago. This is my new favorite game EVAR. God of War III has set a very high bar for 2010. It really is going to be tough to beat.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Hey I just got the
boots
how far into the game am I? Just to gauge what I have ahead of me :) ty

AgentWhiskersX said:

Based on the ending, I'd say it's possibly hinting at
epilogue DLC
or
a new game involving Kratos' brother or something

Click

Banned
Just want to warn people that if you want to show friends what certain boss fights are like, after you've beaten them and have an active autosave file, the game will autosave OVER your current autosave file and erase it. I just had to redo 40+ minutes worth of gameplay because my friend wanted to see the
Hercules
fight.

By the way, what's the best Max Combo do you guys have? I got up to 870 (could've been higher) without the using a glitch or anything. I'm talking about story mode, not the challenges.

Ok, I just got the game today and I just spent the last 4 hours playing it. My god this game is so awesome.
I know it's been said a million times before but the IQ in this game is nothing short of amazing. I've read
the claims about MLAA looking as good at 16Xaa but seeing it in action is another thing all together.

Cell is a fucking beast.

Animator

leng jai

Animator said:
Dude fucking THANK YOU!

why is this post not getting more love? gow 3 soundtrack is the most amazing thing I have listened to this year. Muse song <3

Yep. Makes the Ultimate Edition even worse value than it already was.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Trailblaster said:
Cell is a fucking beast.

Yeah. Earlier this year I questioned how developers were able to pull off stuff like GoW 3 and Uncharted 2 on the PS3's supposedly weaker, and more complicated, hardware. Seems like GoW 3 might be the proof that Sony knew what they were doing when they decided to use the Cell as the PS3's CPU.

Click

Banned
leng jai said:
Yep. Makes the Ultimate Edition even worse value than it already was.

Too bad there's no free download of the "Unearthing the Legend" GoW documentary... yet. Then I guess there would be almost no reason to get the Ultimate Edition.

To those that have watched it, how was that documentary anyway?

Click

Banned
Blablurn said:
I said this after MGS4 and I said this after Uncharted 2. Everyone should buy a PS3 for this game. Holy CRAP!

Combichristoffersen said:
Yeah. Earlier this year I questioned how developers were able to pull off stuff like GoW 3 and Uncharted 2 on the PS3's supposedly weaker, and more complicated, hardware. Seems like GoW 3 might be the proof that Sony knew what they were doing when they decided to use the Cell as the PS3's CPU.

You guys forgot to mention Killzone 2, arguably the most technically / graphically advanced shooter on any console system.

And MLB The Show series. The most realistic / best-looking sport sim. series ever.

Not to sound like a Sony fanboy or anything, but yeah, PS3 has proven time and again that it's the most capable and advanced console this generation. You just have to have development teams talented enough and patient enough to "unlock" it's potential and utilize the Cell the way it was designed to.

Click said:
Too bad there's no free download of the "Unearthing the Legend" GoW documentary... yet. Then I guess there would be almost no reason to get the Ultimate Edition.

To those that have watched it, how was that documentary anyway?

You're forgetting that there is always a market for nerds who like plastic shit with their games, including me. :lol

On a related note, my Ultimate Trilogy Edition should arrive in a couple of hours, and fuck of all days I'm working overtime in the lab today. FFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

dentoomw

Just finished it.
Is there a bad/good ending? The ending didn't seem that great - Kratos stabs himself and Athena lived. Plus what did Zeus mean when he told Gaea she should have picked the other one???

Top Bottom