• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III |OT|

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Click said:
You guys forgot to mention Killzone 2, arguably the most technically / graphically advanced shooter on any console system.

And MLB The Show series. The most realistic / best-looking sport sim. series ever.

Not to sound like a Sony fanboy or anything, but yeah, PS3 has proven time and again that it's the most capable and advanced console this generation. You just have to have development teams talented enough and patient enough to "unlock" it's potential and utilize the Cell the way it was designed to.

Yeah, forgot about KZ2. It's just sad that the only ones that are given the time and budget to make the PS3 sing are Sony's first-party devs.

Click

Banned
r8fk7l.jpg

Max Combo without glitching / exploiting.

Deaths was from playing Titan mode on first playthrough and the screwed up jumping / gliding controls this game has.

SS was taken about 40% through the game.

I have never played a proper God of War before, I know fuck all about beat 'em up games but this is something truly, truly special.
The graphics are mindblowing. Nathan who?

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
mescalineeyes said:
I have never played a proper God of War before, I know fuck all about beat 'em up games but this is something truly, truly special.
The graphics are mindblowing. Nathan who?
I don't think you'll be asking that question next year. :lol

AgentWhiskersX said:
I don't think you'll be asking that question next year. :lol
there's another Uncharted coming out next year? Or will Resistance 3 look that good :lol
(that being said, I'd do some horrible, horrible things for Resistance 3 to be awesome. R:FoM is still the best shooter this gen)

neorej

ERMYGERD!
GoW3 looks amazing indeed. My GF was watching me play and constantly asking whether this was in-game or a cutscene (especially when you kill
Poseidon and see the brutality inflicted from Poseidon's viewpoint
). Lip-sync is not great, it's pretty much flawless, AA is unseen before, the level of detail is amazing, the art is mouth-watering, the constant references to Greek mythology are fuckawesome. The only thing that's keeping this game from a 10/10 is the goddamned jump-mechanic and the sometimes iffy positioning required in order to open a chest.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Finished the game

Spin-offs incoming since Kratos' body was missing

Anyway, epic game. Wish it could have been longer and
the treasure chests spread out evenly

"Epic" is such a terribly cliched term in the gaming world, but hell, it's pretty much the only word that fits this game. And I say that as someone who's not even particularly a fan of the genre.

Game loses a half-point for me because dude who does Kratos' voice work is a no-talent hack, but, seriously, that's my only gripe.

9.5/10

Postman where art tho? :lol

Then I need to wait till like 5/6pm for my GF coming over before I play though :X

Want to sneak in a quick look myself then delete the save, but I shall prevail!!!!!!

Combichristoffersen

JaseC said:
It's likely. North has said he's voicing Drake again this year.

Oh dear. So I'll have to suffer through yet another year with Uncharted gifs/graphics being measured up to Uncharted 3 in every goddamn thread, even if they aren't about PS3 exclusives :(

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
NEOPARADIGM said:
"Epic" is such a terribly cliched term in the gaming world, but hell, it's pretty much the only word that fits this game. And I say that as someone who's not even particularly a fan of the genre.

Game loses a half-point for me because dude who does Kratos' voice work is a no-talent hack, but, seriously, that's my only gripe.
9.5/10

No he isn't. Kratos's voice is awesome and complements the character.

NEOPARADIGM said:

9.5/10

WTF kratos voice work is top notch.

Combichristoffersen

neojubei said:
No he isn't. Kratos's voice is awesome and complements the character.

Yes. Listening to Kratos' voice made my balls grow 600% (200% for each of the three main games in the series). It's just that manly.

Combichristoffersen said:
Yes. Listening to Kratos' voice made my balls grow 600% (200% for each of the three main games in the series). It's just that manly.

So you now have an oversized clit? :lol

I think the voice acting is over the top, but fits the character of Kratos fine, he's a mad bastard.

ScOULaris

Kratos' VA is something that has bothered me throughout the whole series. Not only is his delivery cheesy and devoid of any real emotion (except for faux-rage), but the writing for the character is awful too.

I realize that they wanted to give Kratos a one-track, revenge-driven mind, but they didn't have to make him as simplistic as they did. Glimpses of more complex emotion could have really fleshed out his character, but instead they settled for him just being a badass through his actions.

And it's a weird juxtaposition in God of War II and III, where most of the other characters have much better actors and lines than Kratos.

Combichristoffersen

Audioboxer87 said:
So you now have an oversized clit? :lol

I think the voice acting is over the top, but fits the character of Kratos fine, he's a mad bastard.

I have balls the size of Kronos, young man. Balls the size of Kronos. And Kratos' voice made my chest hair grow so much, scientists recently discovered three new species of monkeys living in the jungle on my chest. All thanks to the GoW series.

ScOULaris said:
Kratos' VA is something that has bothered me throughout the whole series. Not only is his delivery cheesy and devoid of any real emotion (except for faux-rage), but the writing for the character is awful too.

I realize that they wanted to give Kratos a one-track, revenge-driven mind, but they didn't have to make him as simplistic as they did. Glimpses of more complex emotion could have really fleshed out his character, but instead they settled for him just being a badass through his actions.

And it's a weird juxtaposition in God of War II and III, where most of the other characters have much better actors and lines than Kratos.

Kratos only has one emotion, rage.

The PS2 emotion engine was built on rage just for him.

I have balls the size of Kronos, young man. Balls the size of Kronos. And Kratos' voice made my chest hair grow so much, scientists recently discovered three new species of monkeys living in the jungle on my chest. All thanks to the GoW series.

:lol

vazel

Banned
Kratos' voice acting is supposed to be hammy. Pay attention to the kind of game you're playing people it's basically a marriage of a Hollywood popcorn movie and a comic book. And believe me I can't wait for the actual comic book.

Combichristoffersen

vazel said:
Kratos' voice acting is supposed to be hammy. Pay attention to the kind of game you're playing people it's basically a marriage of a Hollywood popcorn movie and a comic book. And believe me I can't wait for the actual comic book.

Yeah, it's supposed to be out later this month, right?

vazel

Banned
It's not in my shipping package for April at heavyink. In my shipping calender at heavyink.com it's in the 'Running Very Late From Publisher, No Data On Release Schedule' status so who knows.

Combichristoffersen

vazel said:
It's not in my shipping package for April at heavyink. In my shipping calender at heavyink.com it's in the 'Running Very Late From Publisher, No Data On Release Schedule' status so who knows.

'A wizard Kratos is never late, nor is he early. He arrives precisely when he means to.'

Beat
Hades
last night on Titan mode. It took about 15 tries but I got it and it was glorious. This battle has been my favourite so far. I loved
pulling Hades onto the ceiling, I felt like at that point Kratos was just playing with him
, after all those failures it was nice the way this fight came to an end.

Next up,
Helios

So, what's the general consensus on GoW 3's graphics; are they the best seen to date in any console game?
PC too IMO...maybe this is just because I haven't played many PC games but the PC game that is suppose to have the best graphics is Crysis, and I think just Kratos' model is better than anything in that game.

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
this game is very interesting..i think starting it on hard definitely made it better for me..there's been battles that made me roll my eyes and think 'how the hell did i die there'..but I've also had a few crazy ones where i wondered how the hell did i just do this without dying?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
So, what's the general consensus on GoW 3's graphics; are they the best seen to date in any console game?
They are close, but I still think Killzone 2 and Uncharted 2 look a bit better overall. Uncharted 2 in particular, which is just polished to perfection. The framerate is too unstable in GoW3 (just like the PS2 games were) and that definitely has an impact on the presentation.

All three games are in the same tier, though. Definitely one of the best looking games out there.

Kos Luftar said:
PC too IMO...maybe this is just because I haven't played many PC games but the PC game that is suppose to have the best graphics is Crysis, and I think just Kratos' model is better than anything in that game.

This. We've all been led to believe, that the only way of getting these levels of graphics and AA was to build a uber gaming rig with 8 gigs of ram and a big fat hot GPU. At this point the only thing PC games have on PS3 first party games is res. and framerate. And some time not even framerate.

"PC gaming Master Race." my eye, :lol

aristotle

Animator said:
Dude fucking THANK YOU!

why is this post not getting more love? gow 3 soundtrack is the most amazing thing I have listened to this year. Muse song <3

Because it's technically illegal. The only way to legally get those links was to use the code that came in the ultimate edition.

It really is sony's fault for leaving them so exposed like that, but still, it is what it is. Those are supposed to be paid for extras, yet some aren't paying for them. The blood and metal EP, for instance, is an actual album release I believe.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
dark10x said:
They are close, but I still think Killzone 2 and Uncharted 2 look a bit better overall. Uncharted 2 in particular, which is just polished to perfection. The framerate is too unstable in GoW3 (just like the PS2 games were) and that definitely has an impact on the presentation.

All three games are in the same tier, though. Definitely one of the best looking games out there.
I think that the most impressive moments impress more in this. Maybe it's the art/setting.

Stuneseht

I've seen this feature in the Uncharted series, and now I see it in God of war 3:
There are certain sections in the game where Kratos- like Nathan, is squeezing his body through a crevice; is this a hidden way of hidding a load time?

VariantX04

Loser slave of the system :(
Stuneseht said:
I've seen this feature in the Uncharted series, and now I see it in God of war 3:
There are certain sections in the game where Kratos- like Nathan, is squeezing his body through a crevice; is this a hidden way of hidding a load time?
I think it just looks cool.

First person crevice maneuvering in Killzone 3 confirmed? I believe so.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
wow, that was a phenomenal final act!
there was no need for the little epilogue, though! the ending was poignant as it was without the cheesy 'dun dunnn' moment teaser post-credits

I don't even know where to begin, it was such a fun game. I need some time to collect my thoughts. Visually stunning, obviously, and I think that will kind of taint my opinion of the actual game part underneath at the moment, because I suspect when I actually look back on it I'll remember God 2 as my favourite and God 1 as one of the most memorable, but all the same, totally worth the money and a totally satisfying ending (hopefully) to the series.

It had one of those last acts where when the credits started to roll I almost physically applauded to the television screen.

Callibretto said:
swap the last two around =p

I still think UC2 fairly comfortably trumps this, but to be fair, that was ND's second effort

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Fuck this cursed R2 button that I keep hitting accidentally, resulting in me using magic when I don't want to. I hate these triggers!!!1

Top Bottom