• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III |OT|

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
NeoUltima said:
Fuck can't get trophies in combat arena? Just spent 15 minutes
kicking hounds
nonstop.
Yeah, I was annoyed when my 3800 hit combo in that didn't count towards the trophy since the way that everyone says to do it is boring as hell.

CoG

God bless whoever came up with the idea of putting the QTE buttons on-screen relative to where they are on the controller. Makes the QTEs sooo much less frustrating.

Okay...this
fire cerberus
fight. The one after that looooong drop. What the fuck. Really? I've tried this about 20 times so far and as soon as i get it to
its last head
i get completely obliterated. Is there some grand secret i'm missing here?

annnnnd i just totally pwned it that time. What the fuck indeed :lol

leng jai

Is it just me or does double jump not work half the time? I think I died 4 times in a row trying to double jump between platforms only to have the game ask me if I wanted to lower the difficulty :lol

Stillmatic

NeoUltima said:
Fuck can't get trophies in combat arena? Just spent 15 minutes
kicking hounds
nonstop.
Haven't done it myself, but wouldn't it be easy doing it at the part where you have
to kick hounds through the portal?
That's where i was thinking of doing it anyway, they keep respawning in 2's until you kick 4 through.

Jb

leng jai said:
Is it just me or does double jump not work half the time? I think I died 4 times in a row trying to double jump between platforms only to have the game ask me if I wanted to lower the difficulty :lol

It's either your or your controller, I must have fallen to my death perhaps twice in the entire game.

Melfice7

Raist said:
Ok, well I guess the Oscar for worst boss battle ever goes to
Cerberus

While other bosses, even the annoying ones, required at least some timing and pattern learning, this one is just pure mindless spam.

if you have spartan army lvl 3 and rage of sparta available its pretty easy

Flipside

leng jai said:

I had the exact same thing. Are you waiting too reach the highest point in a jump before performing the second jump? I did and it's fixed by tapping X twice in a row (fast) to correctly perform a double jump.

I have died quite a few times because of that :D

Raist

Banned
Melfice7 said:
if you have spartan army lvl 3 and rage of sparta available its pretty easy

Former, not the latter. Simply because there's nothing between this boss and the previous 5h long fight. So I used it already. And Spartan army doesn't really help. When those fucking goats show up you're screwed. Unless you're talking normal difficulty.

Melfice7

no im talking titan, first phase kick the dogs back at him. second spam army of sparta near him, then rage of sparta but not having that i can imagine how difficult it is

Nafai1123

Banned
Raist said:
Former, not the latter. Simply because there's nothing between this boss and the previous 5h long fight. So I used it already. And Spartan army doesn't really help. When those fucking goats show up you're screwed. Unless you're talking normal difficulty.

I'm at the same point right now. I feel your pain :(

Really, really glad I started on Titan. Even though it's pissed me off a few times, Normal would have been like a cakewalk for me.

Especially now that I just got the
Hermes' Boots
, it's on! Combat is so much fun in this game.

I really love the battering ram addition. Really helps me just throw enemies off the board when I don't want to bother with them :lol

vazel

Banned
sillik said:
lol didn't know the lava cerberus was a sort of mini boss ? ran him over on the first go.
He's the one people are talking about here. He barfs up dogs and then those creature satyr/goat/whatever things join the fight.

vazel said:
He's the one people are talking about here. He barfs up dogs and then those creature satyr/goat/whatever things join the fight.

i'm not sure if i flew past him and didn't realize it or not. is this in the labyrinth?

vazel

Banned
I think it's in that area with the three judges. Gates raise up from the ground and then you have to fight that boss.

Raist

Banned
Melfice7 said:
no im talking titan, first phase kick the dogs back at him. second spam army of sparta near him, then rage of sparta but not having that i can imagine how difficult it is

Well that's what I tried after 2-3 tries. Kicked 20 dogs back and got bored. Attacked him and it took roughly as long to get the first phase down. I guess kicking dogs back deal 0.01% dmg :lol

leng jai said:

It happend to me but i finally got used to it and haven't died like that in a while. I think there is only a small window when you can hit jump again. If your timing is off, it doesn't work. Once I could do it consistently, I wondered what the problem was.

DihcarEM

RoboPlato said:
Yeah, I was annoyed when my 3800 hit combo in that didn't count towards the trophy since the way that everyone says to do it is boring as hell.

Just got platinum, the 1000 hit combo i got
right after the Hades fight, after swimming in styx you come to a challenge where you have to use hades magic. Don't use it and just spam L1 + O. It helps if you don't upgrade anything all the way up to that point and then use all the money you have gathered and upgrade the Hades weapon. So there are more of those skulls flying around thus quickening your combo.

Melfice7

DihcarEM said:
right after the Hades fight, after swimming in styx you come to a challenge where you have to use hades magic. Don't use it and just spam L1 + O. It helps if you don't upgrade anything all the way up to that point and then use all the money you have gathered and upgrade the Hades weapon. So there are more of those skulls flying around thus quickening your combo.

thats the way i did it too
70fepi.jpg

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Tom Penny said:
How they could make platforming suck so bad and the vent section go on forever is beyond me. It had nothing to do with skill just luck getting through. Total absolute failure on those parts which take away from AAA everything else.
Vent section from the demo?? That was so easy, and no, you didn't have to rely on luck at all as long as you were looking ahead. I thought that was like a next-next-next gen section of those tunnels from Superstardust on Amiga :p

NeoUltima

DihcarEM said:
You mean L1+square?

The Chef

SolidsnackooFoxhound said:
Anybody else think the intro when it shows all the developers names is absolutely amazing? Especially the music in the background.

All i listen to is Video game music so its probably just me : \.

I think its the best intro to a game with credits that I have ever seen and it does a fantastic job of reminding you of everything that happened in the last 2 games.

Okay I'm sure this has been asked...but question regarding what I assume is the end of the game.

MASSIVE ENORMOUS SPOILER...duh.

So i'm kicking the shit out of zeus and my screen is full of blood....does this...stop? I've been mashing circle for like 3 minutes and its still going.

gibration

WHOAguitarninja said:
Okay I'm sure this has been asked...but question regarding what I assume is the end of the game.

MASSIVE ENORMOUS SPOILER...duh.

So i'm kicking the shit out of zeus and my screen is full of blood....does this...stop? I've been mashing circle for like 3 minutes and its still going.
stop mashing circle and it will stop.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Okay guys gonna give what I do for easy goat kills on that one part people get stuck on
Avoid killing the first goat get two heads down then when all 3 are out use the max level electric spell, it cost the least amount of mana and stuns them for easy kills

I beat the game dying about 16 times on titan first play through mostly on
scorpion until i took my time to kill the babies when ever they came up after it was easy win!

One small gruesome detail I didn't notice until after I mauled a large group of enemies using the Hyperion Fury attack, I saw that Kratos's body was COVERED head to toe in BLOOD!@ So cool. I just stared at him until the blood slowly faded away from his body. What a great touch of detail, and it really gets you into a blood thirsty rage whenever you see it. Badass!

diddlyD

Banned
leng jai said:

i just got the game this morning, and i've noticed that hold button controls randomly drop quite often. like, hold r1 to open a chest, i do, and for some reason he lets go and i have to do it again. more troublesome is when i'm holding x to glide over a pit, my wings disappear early and i plummet to my death. it's not like the controller cuts out, i can still steer. for some reason the game thinks i let go of the button.

Death Dealer said:
It happend to me but i finally got used to it and haven't died like that in a while. I think there is only a small window when you can hit jump again. If your timing is off, it doesn't work. Once I could do it consistently, I wondered what the problem was.

It's semi-broken but hitting X again instantly will work every time - it feels 'off' but it guarantees a safe passage. The broken aspect is because hitting X slightly later ONLY breaks during important jumps. Try jumping around just on the floor - you can hit X as late as you like and it works fine.

Obviously it's not a huge problem because hitting it again instantly is the solution, but the inconsistency of pressing later is curiously sloppy all the same. Just a minor thing which I'm surprised wasn't scrubbed up.

I died a lot in the beginning due to that double jump. I learned to just mash X,X, and hold X.
The previous GOWs I never had this problem. There is also the opening treasure chest lag and saving.

That's my only gripes about this game.

Just got through the area from the demo. Shit it's not even the same game. The difference is mind blowing.

Also right before you fight
Helios
. There's one of those exploding flame pots which I'm sure is for a secret but my game glitched and I couldn't drag the pot or explode it. Did I miss anything important?

NeoUltima

DihcarEM said:
No, i meant circle. The grab move with the weapon.
Ah interesting, I guess those souls that come out hit and build the combo up? Thanks for tip, glad I stopped my 2nd playthrough just before
Hades
so I don't miss out on this

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
Just got through the area from the demo. Shit it's not even the same game. The difference is mind blowing.

Also right before you fight
Helios
. There's one of those exploding flame pots which I'm sure is for a secret but my game glitched and I couldn't drag the pot or explode it. Did I miss anything important?
I don't think so. I might be wrong but those are the equivalent to exploding barrel traps for enemies.

gibration

Ballistictiger said:
I died a lot in the beginning due to that double jump. I learned to just mash X,X, and hold X.
The previous GOWs I never had this problem. There is also the opening treasure chest lag and saving.

That's my only gripes about this game.
Same here. It bothers me quite a bit but I can live with it.

rhino4evr

So I'm still really early, I just entered the
Palace of hades
but I'm kinda disappointed after the shock and awe of the opening. I mean the
Forge
was kinda cool.
Seems like the game is going to feature lots of backtracking

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
These challenges are pretty meh. :(

I beat get stoned on my second try, got pretty crazy but the parry fail breakout definitly makes it way easier. I only need to finish bare handed and the el matador one, but I don't really get bare handed. Is this seriously a challenge built around grabbing fodder enemies while big ones are nearby? Kratos constantly grabs the wrong thing, it's annoying as hell.

I also don't really get the way you can replay. So there's no new game+, just the relics? And one fucking costume, I still can't believe that. :|

Is there anyway to backtrack for more orbs? I was kinda close to maxing out before, and have saves from all over the game. But I didn't think the game meant max out in one playthrough.

vazel said:
That fire Cerberus was tough but I didn't mind one tough as nails boss thrown in there.

The problem here is that it isn't a boss, it's a random encounter that ends up being harder than any god you'll see in this game. :lol

Raist said:

Here's what I did on titan:

First off, do not kick the dogs. I tried it for awhile, and there's so many times you get blown up by another dog right after you finish kicking one, so it's too luck based for a fight you can't risk getting hit. I personally had maxed out cestus, so I stayed close and pounded its face in. If you start it back a little, you lunge into the face and kill nearby dogs, but you still need to dodge attacks. The good thing about being this close means the dogs that blow up near you are easily dodged and end up hurting the cerberus. You should start to be able to consistently beat the first heard without getting hit, and the second isn't much different aside from the satyr, which is pretty easy if you can put some orbs in the claws of hades. Also, don't use magic for the first head at all.

Set the Gorgon as the soul summon for the claws. If it isn't there you need to get to..level 3 I think, so hopefully you either have that already or atleast have the orbs. You can ONLY use this magic twice on a full bar though, so you need to be careful. Get the satyr when it's recovering from an attack then smash it like nothing. Then just repeat like the first head and cut off head 2. Now the wonderful part...

For the 2 satyrs, if the planets align and the gods want you to excel in life, you will be able to get both in the gorgon's stare. I never was able to get that lucky, but you need atleast one out of the picture. After this you have a chunk of magic, but not big enough for another summon, so I used the blade of exile's magic by the cerberus here. Then be slow, air dash around if needed and only hit the dog with 1-2 hit cestus light attacks while it throws up pups. After it does, run around and basically just get the satyr away from you. Soon the dog will have the prompt, do it, kill it, relish the moment and the fact that if you're almost dead you'll get more health, then spam throws on the last satyr to easily beat it.

Dra-Q

Banned
Rated-Rsuperstar said:
Also want to say that the battering ram and grab towards your enemies are fantastic additions to the combat. I use both all the time.

Yes, but nothings beats to kick a dog :3

Top Bottom