• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III |OT|

timkunedo

finally got a chance to really sink my teeth into the game. epic just doesn't do it justice. To those that have finished about how long is the game?

Melfice7

timkunedo said:
finally got a chance to really sink my teeth into the game. epic just doesn't do it justice. To those that have finished about how long is the game?

first playthrough on titan took me around 14h, died 100ish times :3

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
nskinnear said:
Challenge of Olympus -
Hades' Kids

How do I get more Cyclops to spawn?
Just kill them. It gets really hard when there are 4 at one time.
timkunedo said:
Took me about 8 hours on Normal.

Raist

Banned
Papercuts said:
Here's what I did on titan:

First off, do not kick the dogs. I tried it for awhile, and there's so many times you get blown up by another dog right after you finish kicking one, so it's too luck based for a fight you can't risk getting hit. I personally had maxed out cestus, so I stayed close and pounded its face in. If you start it back a little, you lunge into the face and kill nearby dogs, but you still need to dodge attacks. The good thing about being this close means the dogs that blow up near you are easily dodged and end up hurting the cerberus. You should start to be able to consistently beat the first heard without getting hit, and the second isn't much different aside from the satyr, which is pretty easy if you can put some orbs in the claws of hades. Also, don't use magic for the first head at all.

Set the Gorgon as the soul summon for the claws. If it isn't there you need to get to..level 3 I think, so hopefully you either have that already or atleast have the orbs. You can ONLY use this magic twice on a full bar though, so you need to be careful. Get the satyr when it's recovering from an attack then smash it like nothing. Then just repeat like the first head and cut off head 2. Now the wonderful part...

For the 2 satyrs, if the planets align and the gods want you to excel in life, you will be able to get both in the gorgon's stare. I never was able to get that lucky, but you need atleast one out of the picture. After this you have a chunk of magic, but not big enough for another summon, so I used the blade of exile's magic by the cerberus here. Then be slow, air dash around if needed and only hit the dog with 1-2 hit cestus light attacks while it throws up pups. After it does, run around and basically just get the satyr away from you. Soon the dog will have the prompt, do it, kill it, relish the moment and the fact that if you're almost dead you'll get more health, then spam throws on the last satyr to easily beat it.

Yeah that's pretty much what I've been trying for a while. Except that I used the regular blades, move a lot and use L1+square when I'm behind/on his flank. The problem is that some of his attacks are really hard to read especially with the constant chaos around, so I eventually lose too much health. Not to mention when these stupid gorgons choose to target a dog instead of a satyr :(

Manp

if someone know IRL who's responsible for the
music
puzzle, punch him in the face for me.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
timkunedo said:

Took me 10 hours on Titan, with maxed out health/magic/items.

nskinnear said:
No, but if you play on Easy, you should collect enough orbs about halfway through the game to max out all your weapons.

Wtf, really? :lol

Guess I'll do a quick run through for that + not dying in the labyrinth.

Raist said:
Yeah that's pretty much what I've been trying for a while. Except that I used the regular blades, move a lot and use L1+square when I'm behind/on his flank. The problem is that some of his attacks are really hard to read especially with the constant chaos around, so I eventually lose too much health. Not to mention when these stupid gorgons choose to target a dog instead of a satyr :(

I would avoid the blades just because the cerberus is an insane HP tank as it is, the cestus kill it a lot faster and it still takes awhile. Also be careful with the L1 modifers, you can't evade out of them so that's another reason I'd stick with the cestus and a few quick hits.

I agree about the gorgon thing though, the magic itself is pretty crap considering the huge magic cost and the fact you have little control on it.

Dogenzaka

Banned
Papercuts said:
Here's what I did on titan:

First off, do not kick the dogs. I tried it for awhile, and there's so many times you get blown up by another dog right after you finish kicking one, so it's too luck based for a fight you can't risk getting hit. I personally had maxed out cestus, so I stayed close and pounded its face in. If you start it back a little, you lunge into the face and kill nearby dogs, but you still need to dodge attacks. The good thing about being this close means the dogs that blow up near you are easily dodged and end up hurting the cerberus. You should start to be able to consistently beat the first heard without getting hit, and the second isn't much different aside from the satyr, which is pretty easy if you can put some orbs in the claws of hades. Also, don't use magic for the first head at all.

Set the Gorgon as the soul summon for the claws. If it isn't there you need to get to..level 3 I think, so hopefully you either have that already or atleast have the orbs. You can ONLY use this magic twice on a full bar though, so you need to be careful. Get the satyr when it's recovering from an attack then smash it like nothing. Then just repeat like the first head and cut off head 2. Now the wonderful part...

For the 2 satyrs, if the planets align and the gods want you to excel in life, you will be able to get both in the gorgon's stare. I never was able to get that lucky, but you need atleast one out of the picture. After this you have a chunk of magic, but not big enough for another summon, so I used the blade of exile's magic by the cerberus here. Then be slow, air dash around if needed and only hit the dog with 1-2 hit cestus light attacks while it throws up pups. After it does, run around and basically just get the satyr away from you. Soon the dog will have the prompt, do it, kill it, relish the moment and the fact that if you're almost dead you'll get more health, then spam throws on the last satyr to easily beat it.

This is exactly what I did and by pure luck I managed to get it to line up with both enemies.
I was so ecstatic.

I spent 4 hours on that fight :l

Manp said:
music

It's not that bad. Play moar DDR with the controller. xD

If someone knows IRL who's responsible for the
lack of
puzzles, punch him in the face for me.

Manp

Dogenzaka said:
It's not that bad. Play moar DDR with the controller. xD

i already got past it... it just felt stupid and out of place. there's a reason if i don't buy
stupid music
games :mad:

:)

Double D

I'm stuck. I'm fighting some fiery three headed dog thing that keeps spitting out more dogs. Then there's those demon looking things with scythes that spawn. What's the best weapon/method here. First time I've been completely stuck.

Edit: I just realized that's what the giant block of spoilers are about.

Manp said:
music

Haha I chuckled at that portion. Very cheeky of them to include the game mechanics of a super casual, family friendly Guitar Hero game into one of the goriest, violent blood fests ever made. I passed it on the second attempt because I wasn't expecting a two button press. :)

Vik_Vaughn said:
I'm stuck. I'm fighting some fiery three headed dog thing that keeps spitting out more dogs. Then there's those demon looking things with scythes that spawn. What's the best weapon/method here. First time I've been completely stuck.

Use the gauntlets and wail away when he's spitting out dogs, when a dog gets close get away from it. and repeat. Hades weapon with Medusa power will take care of the goats.

Raist

Banned
Vik_Vaughn said:

Yeah.
I'm so close...
to break my controller apart :p
This Gorgon soul power is fucking useless.

Raist

Banned
OMFG. Finally owned that bitch.
This has to be the worst boss in the history of video games.

This must also be the first game that I'm not looking forward at all to playing on the highest difficulty mode (I mean the unlockable one). Pass.

Macattk15

Just beat it. Thought the ending was a little lacking, but it worked.

One of the most epic gaming experiences I've had recently the entire way. Way to go SSM!

jhenedo

Banned
Raist said:
OMFG. Finally owned that bitch.
This has to be the worst boss in the history of video games.

This must also be the first game that I'm not looking forward at all to playing on the highest difficulty mode (I mean the unlockable one). Pass.

:lol sorry man. I remember people complaining from videos how this game looked easy. Personally, i played on normal and the fights were hard as hell. Seriously. And to top it all of i did not figure out you could upgrade your life bar until the last boss beat the crap out of me.:lol I ended up switching to easy.(Am not kidding)

Ashes

Banned
Nothing sexual or even the bare titted stuff hadn't happened in like a couple of hours, and so thinking that it had been toned down I went to the living room to play it on the big telly. Fuck me. Two minutes later, out came the bare chested slave. :lol

The Gorgon powers are pretty easy to use, just magic consuming. I usually back up a bit and cast it straight at them and it works most of the time. I just got finished with that fight on hard not bad. I think I'm prepared for it on the hardest most since I kind of mastered that fight. The only threat is the Satyr but one on one Satyrs are nothing just spam grab.

NeoUltima

Ashes1396 said:
Nothing sexual or even the bare titted stuff hadn't happened in like a couple of hours, and so thinking that it had been toned down I went to the living room to play it on the big telly. Fuck me. Two minutes later, out came the bare chested slave. :lol
Ain't seen nothin' yet.

Nafai1123

Banned
YES!!!! FINALLY BEAT THAT STUPID FUCKING DOG AND HIS GOAT POSSE!!!

Used Gorgon for the first two goats, then went all RAGE of Sparta on that motherfucker. :D

diddlyD

Banned
so i verified my controller works properly in other games, but i still constantly let go of things while dragging them or give up opening chests while holding r1, and often fall into pits with my wings out while holding x. is this a known bug? is it something to do with my sixaxis (original controller)? how annoying, and what a lame bug if so. controller polling bug? come on man.

also the second boss
hades
can go suck a dick (on hard), think i'll take a break now.

forrest

formerly nacire
Just finished the game and came here to post my obligatory HOLY SHIT BALLS!

Seriously though, amazing product SSM! Definitely a great conclusion to a great series! I'm pretty sure I sold a few PS3's having people over to watch part of the game.

On a side note, I would kill to have a 2.5d metroid done with this kind of graphic fidelity.

Raist

Banned
I'm currently mashing O and it's been like that for 3mins. Take that for creating this scorpion and dog, jerk

I need some ProTips for what seems to be the final boss of the game:

I'm fighting Zeus right after he throws Pandora on that rock, and I can manage to get him to the 2nd phase after all those rocks fall on him but then he uses a bunch of new moves and kills me right away. Does anyone have any good strategies on how to get through this part?

Raist

Banned
Epic ending, loved it. all phases to the last boss were excellent as well. I almost forgive SSM for
both animal bosses

polyh3dron said:
I need some ProTips for what seems to be the final boss of the game:

I'm fighting Zeus right after he throws Pandora on that rock, and I can manage to get him to the 2nd phase after all those rocks fall on him but then he uses a bunch of new moves and kills me right away. Does anyone have any good strategies on how to get through this part?

Most of his attacks are quite easy to read. Use the Cestus as it's the most effective weapon IMO. Stay away from him as much as possible, and when he starts his series of punch jump behind him, quickly thrust back towards him and hold square for the big rage combo. If he blocks, roll back. Rinse and repeat.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I just realized...

Didn't Kratos have a brother that he "abandoned" or something when he was a child and he would come back to Kratos one day? It was shown on Chain of Olympus IIRC. I thought the brother was going to be revealed on God of War III

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
ULTROS! said:
I just realized...

Didn't Kratos have a brother that he "abandoned" or something when he was a child and he would come back to Kratos one day? It was shown on Chain of Olympus IIRC. I thought the brother was going to be revealed on God of War III

Probably the "other pawn" zeus mentioned.

neojubei said:
Sakaguchi is a legend in video games, respect.
Oh I respect him for his achievements alright but when he makes the most hypocritical criticism about a game that he could possibly make, his "cranky kong"-ness becomes apparent.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Saga is right. Not being able to skip the intro (nevermind the cutscenes) after having beaten the game is retarded.

jhenedo

Banned
TTP said:
Saga is right. Not being able to skip the intro (nevermind the cutscenes) after having beaten the game is retarded.

Its hiding a loading screen. Is that hard to get people? I'd gather you would rather have a loading screen in its place right?

Auto-save feature is retarded. I started from the beginning to show the intro to my friends tonight and it completely overwrote my current save automatically.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
TTP said:
The part he's talking about is the skippable intro before the title screen.

I can't believe they bothered to get
Kevin Sorbo to record 3 lines for Hercules, because in typical Kratos fashion, you bash his face in 10 seconds later.

Dogenzaka

Banned
PartlyCloudlike said:
Haha I chuckled at that portion. Very cheeky of them to include the game mechanics of a super casual, family friendly Guitar Hero game into one of the goriest, violent blood fests ever made. I passed it on the second attempt because I wasn't expecting a two button press. :)

Well the whole puzzle felt very underdeveloped. For as much as they could have explored the
theme of muses, musical instruments and puzzles, all they had was that stupid segment and not much else. Felt underdeveloped, like a lot of the puzzles

JohngPR

I'm three hours in and I just defeated
Hades
, great boss battle!

I loved how you had to
swim through him to get past
. LOL

Barakov

I just beat it. Pretty great overall. The only thing I really didn't like was the
series of fights you had in the Labyrinth where the spikes came up from the floor in sections until finally you had to dig your blades into the harpy.

I'm about halfway through and it's amazing. My only complaint is the story is kind of so-so. To be fair, honestly, I think the first God of War 1 had one of those stories that are really so perfectly self contained like Bioshock that the sequels feel like add ons to the lore. In general I don't really like how the gods became so cartoony ala superfriends, but the game is amazing.

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
I can't believe they bothered to get
Kevin Sorbo to record 3 lines for Hercules, because in typical Kratos fashion, you bash his face in 10 seconds later.

3 lines? You kidding me? He had a much deeper "story" and "dialogue" than other bosses...

The intro/credits was a pleasant surprise for me. I truly miss the days when all or most games had great intro movies, but this one was fantastic and I loved how it touched upon the best parts of the last two games. Screw the 'Gooch, gimme more awesome intros!

Top Bottom