• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III |OT|

Bootaaay said:
Really enjoying the game so far, except for a few glaring flaws - namely, the double jump mechanic. I don't know what's wrong with it, but something is wrong because I can't count the number of times i've seen the game over screen after falling down a pit because Kratos failed to double jump when instructed. Also, fixed camera - yeah, it allows for those epic, sweeping shots that make the series presentation so memorable, but there are so many times I would love to be able to rotate the camera even just a little bit. Finally, I don't like the fact that the QTE indicators appear in different corners of the screen - I find myself having to watch the screen edges so I don't miss a button press during the QTE, but that results in me missing parts of the gory death animation center screen. However, beyond those minor (although agravating) nitpicks the game is absolutely stunning so far, I just left
Hades
so i'm not very far in yet and am sure the best is yet to come.

QTE indicators correspond with the button layout of the controller? Most likely you have a gigantic screen...

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Omotesando said:
Meleeing with the Cestus is not as effective as jumping and R1+square(the pirouette), you hit multiple legs and don't have the lunging forward problem and getting stuck...

I tried that a few times, it felt like it took longer + you're more vulnerable to the little scorpions upon landing.

Raist

Banned
Omotesando said:
Meleeing with the Cestus is not as effective as jumping and L1+square(the pirouette), you hit multiple legs and don't have the lunging forward problem and getting stuck...

You don't even need to jump. But that doesn't change anything, you still often get stuck.

I can't beat that awful section where the game keeps throwing 1billion different grunt at you
where you're below Daedalus
:'(

No_Style

Melfice7 said:
only got 'bare hands' and 'get stoned' left .. my controller wont see the light of tomorrow x.x

I thought Bare Hands was an interesting challenge. Here's my tip:

You can push the enemies over the ledge including the statues and the cyclops. Just keep ramming people into them they're pushed over. Never enter a QTE sequence since it takes too long to kill people.

Stoned was a bit annoying, but this is how I did it:

Keep parrying the stone gaze and purposely fail the QTE to have it freeze you instantly. If an enemy gets too close, then hit the QTE to freeze people and roll again.

Like I said earlier, overall these challenges were easy.

Tom Penny

Game went from 10 to 9.5 - 9.0 to 8.5 real fast on the strength of some of the worse trial and error jumping and flying sequences ever put in a game. How they could make platforming suck so bad and the vent section go on forever is beyond me. It had nothing to do with skill just luck getting through. Total absolute failure on those parts which take away from AAA everything else.

Raist

Banned
No_Style said:
Not hard when you do the auto-save trick. Plus, I'm looking forward to the challenge. God mode was a bit too easy.

There is a HUGE difference between god and titan, as regards to damage you deal, take, and efficiency of the orbs.

Raist said:
You don't even need to jump. But that doesn't change anything, you still often get stuck.

I can't beat that awful section where the game keeps throwing 1billion different grunt at you
where you're below Daedalus
:'(

That was the hardest part for me aswell, let Pandora tank a few of em and try to stick at the other side of the room with a mob or two and kill them one by one. Also kill the wraiths and banshees first is what I did.

Melfice7

No_Style said:
Stoned was a bit annoying, but this is how I did it:

Keep parrying the stone gaze and purposely fail the QTE to have it freeze you instantly. If an enemy gets too close, then hit the QTE to freeze people and roll again.
/QUOTE]

yeah that was working until the 8 turn where they ganked me from all sides and i died xD

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Im going to come out and say it. Im no longer l33t or relative in today's gaming market. Im not in the demographic, and I don't have the time I used to for games. That said Im still in love with games, not the artistic fringe games that most GAFers seem to like flower etc... I like action FPS, Strategy and RPG games things I grew up with...

However over the years I have seen my time and skills as a gamer diminish and the games tending to increase in difficulty as well. So much that most games I play on normal now. Screw Hardcore, screw GOD mode I mean I understand there place but I just can't do it..

I bought God of War and played it love the game so far, I just beat Hades but I had to go to easy mode. I hear you laughing and ok your better than me.. Im backlogged so damn much I have about 12 games deep Iv'e not opened or played and I the limited time I have now I can not spend dying over and over again. (it also tends to piss me off to the point of tossing the remote) Something I never want to repeat... I wan't to enjoy my games, but why can't games just have an adaptive mode!??

If I died 5 time it should say ok hes having a hard time getting this, easy it up some, if I die 5 more time easy it up more and than start stepping up the AI again and repeat..

My question is will i still receive trophies for beating levels on easy? I Mean I understand I will not get Platinum's and who actually cares, but that's another thread. Can I still get credit for playing on easy from now on?

Tom Penny said:
Game went from 10 to 9.5 - 9.0 to 8.5 real fast on the strength of some of the worse trial and error jumping and flying sequences ever put in a game. How they could make platforming suck so bad and the vent section go on forever is beyond me. It had nothing to do with skill just luck getting through. Total absolute failure on those parts which take away from AAA everything else.

Flight sections? Thought those were the most enjoyable mini-games. Jump sections? When..?

No_Style

Dorfdad said:
My question is will i still receive trophies for beating levels on easy? I Mean I understand I will not get Platinum's and who actually cares, but that's another thread. Can I still get credit for playing on easy from now on?

I'm pretty sure you can still get the level based Trophies by switching to easy midway.

Also, there's no shame on switching to easy.

Tom Penny

Omotesando said:
Flight sections? Thought those were the most enjoyable mini-games. Jump sections? When..?

Joke post? The pure trial and error vent section was fun? You hit a pillar and dust flies up so you can't see ahead and you just repeatedly smack into more pillar's because you increase in speed. Yeah. Good stuff.

vazel

Banned
Tom Penny said:
Joke post? The pure trial and error vent section was fun? You hit a pillar and dust flies up so you can't see ahead and you just repeatedly smack into more pillar's because you increase in speed. Yeah. Good stuff.
Don't blame the game for your shitty hand eye coordination. :p I didn't have an issue with flying sections I thought they were fun. I think I only ever got hit three times in all flying sections combined.

Greg

Melfice7 said:
only 'get stoned' left cmoooooon any tips guys? :3
Run outside of melee range so they initiate the gaze, press L1 to initiate the QTE sequence, press the wrong button on purpose so that you're instantly stoned. Roll around constantly and repeat.

Tom Penny said:

No joke at all. Probably because I only redid it three or four times (when you jump down from Olympus to Hades). Getting smacked into debris is most likely going to kill you anyway as you die instantly or in two hits. ALso the swoosh sound when you head just slightly misses a chunk. Love it.

The only part where you have to jump extensively is I recall the section after killing
Hercules
, which is similar to jumping around in the Colossus in GoW2.

uraldix

Greg said:
Run outside of melee range so they initiate the gaze, press L1 to initiate the QTE sequence, press the wrong button on purpose so that you're instantly stoned. Roll around constantly and repeat.

and...

and once there are a lot of enemies, grab and kill the guys that give health. You are invincible during the animation. Other tip is to flash everyone once there is more than one gorgon. Buys you some time to get stoned without all of the enemies.

Macattk15

Tom Penny said:

I had ZERO problem doing that section. All you had to do was not get hit by anything and there wouldn't be any dust in our face. There is a reason you can make a short little dash move with the right stick while doing that.

As for harpy jumping, it's only annoyed me once and that was only for a couple minutes.

Raist

Banned
Okay.

After minotaurs spawn for the second time... is that far from the end of this section? Because it's fucking annoying :I

Raist said:
Okay.

After minotaurs spawn for the second time... is that far from the end of this section? Because it's fucking annoying :I

Second wave of minotaurs you're almost done, didn't recall precisely but after that there is I think only one more wave

About one of the notes in the game.

The one that mentions a brother that became a God while he was left to suffer in Hades or something. Do you think it's Kratos' brother from Sparta?

Macattk15

SuperSonic1305 said:
About one of the notes in the game.

The one that mentions a brother that became a God while he was left to suffer in Hades or something. Do you think it's Kratos' brother from Sparta?

That could be referencing Hercules. If you know anything about Hercules story in traditional mythology his 12th labor was to go kidnap Cerberus in Hades or something.

Major LTTP here but a few things:

1. The method to redeem the codes is fucking stupid. Why do I have to enter a code on their website only to get another code to download the skin? the fuck?

2. You're only allowed to enter one code wtf? I happen to have an Amazon and Gamestop codes and yet when I try to enter the second code it says I already vouched a code and thats it. Thats fucking cheap.

3. I bought the Ultimate Edition only to find out the Soundtrack was digital. Of course, I should've been suspicious of that $99 price tag...

Overall this is a despicable move by Sony (or their Santa Monica studios). The game itself I have no problem with(its awesome), but the goodies that it comes with are just pathetic in what barbaric methods you have to go through.

/rant over.

This game is really really good. I just finished the
puzzle with the green stone
, and I love almost every minute of it so far.

Almost
every minute means that I hate how the double jump seems broken at times, and the flying vent section from the demo was mehhh. I didn't like how they also inverted the dodge. That got me killed like 5 times. Other than that though, it's been fun. Better than GOW1, and more epic than GOW2. I don't think it pulls past Bayonetta for me in terms of pure fun factor, but it's up there for top 3 of the year so far.

Macattk15

Net_Wrecker said:
This game is really really good. I just finished the
puzzle with the green stone
, and I love almost every minute of it so far.

Almost
every minute means that I hate how the double jump seems broken at times, and the flying vent section from the demo was mehhh. I didn't like how they also inverted the dodge. That got me killed like 5 times. Other than that though, it's been fun. Better than GOW1, and more epic than GOW2. I don't think it pulls past Bayonetta for me in terms of pure fun factor, but it's up there for top 3 of the year so far.

You know you can un-invert the flying controls in the options menu right?

fu3lfr3nzy said:
2. You're only allowed to enter one code wtf? I happen to have an Amazon and Gamestop codes and yet when I try to enter the second code it says I already vouched a code and thats it. Thats fucking cheap.

Are you entering them at the PSN store? Only the Gamestop code is meant for the website since it was given out a long time ago.

Macattk15 said:
You know you can un-invert the flying controls in the options menu right?

When I did that, I started hitting everything because my brain is STUCK on inverted control for flying. I wanted to leave the flying inverted, but have the right stick quick dodge normal. I don't think you can do that.

SuperSonic1305 said:
Are you entering them at the PSN store? Only the Gamestop code is meant for the website since it was given out a long time ago.

Both the GS and Amazon codes require me to go to the website(they specifically state).

I entered the Amazon code and it "worked". I tried entering the GS code and it says I already entered a code with this PSN account. I tried clearing the cookies and tried logging in again and entering the code, but it still gives me the same error :(

Extra code ftl
no pm's please :p

I bought the game last night, and it's definately the best looking game this gen IMO. The sharpness and detail of Kratos cannot be surpassed.

P.S. That boy/girl humming in Hade's level. Am I the only person who thought of the movie Sleepy Hallow with Depp?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Arsenic said:
whoa, ok. lol
i guess this includes the
scorpian boss fight as well?
:lol

nope. Just run through it on easy. It doesn't take long. I believe it ends right after that huge gauntlet of enemies.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Elan tedronai said:
i am getting ass whooped in this game on freakin normal. My skills are deterioting as i age. Is there a way to get back to easy on this game?

Easy is basically god mode. You will never die, which would be boring to most. Persevere.

Johnas

My first romp through the game was on Normal (God), so I started a new game on Hard (Titan) last night.

Wow what a difference. Strategy is required for the bosses (for Poseidon anyway) and I've actually gotten killed by regular enemies twice. Really fun so far. I could only imagine the backlash if they used this difficulty for Normal. Still easier than something like DMC, imo, but really fun and strategic.

Dudes like me who played through on Normal the first time really should check out Hard.

Raist

Banned
Ok, well I guess the Oscar for worst boss battle ever goes to
Cerberus

While other bosses, even the annoying ones, required at least some timing and pattern learning, this one is just pure mindless spam.

Tom Penny said:

It took me at least 3-4 tries in the demo, but when I got to the vent section in the full game, I got through the first time. IMO it's not broken or cheap or anything.

I did have some issues with double jumping. Don't know why, but some really simple jumps in the underworld killed me, some of them multiple times in a row. :p

I think I have the hang of it though. I've gotten a lot better at combat since day one.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Tom Penny said:
There was one vent in particular which pissed me off like this. I think it was the descent into Hades. It seemed like it wasn't just that you could go the wrong way, but if if you did, you'd get hit over and over again with little chance of escape.

Something this game badly needs is 'lock on target' button. When you are surrounded by swarms of enemies and getting a huge beat down, the last thing you need is kratos attacking a distant enemy while the closest one is hammering away at your back

Top Bottom