• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War III |OT|

stolin

Tonight I finished my second run through the game on Titan in just under 9 hours. I was only missing Unhuman & Priceless in this run for the Platinum.

First playthrough on God (Normal) was around 10 hours and the Challenge of Olympus was less than an hour.

Absolutely fantastic job and congrats to SCEA Santa Monica. Good work guys, I can't wait to see other ideas & IPs come from your studio. Having just re-played through GoW I & II it's a very impressive body of work and playtime over the years.

card.png

Just killed
the Poseidon Princess
. Kratos is such an ass. I actually liked the
music puzzle
:D In fact, I thought it was way too short. But I can understand why some people may not like it.
It requires complete memorization of DS3 buttons
, which some new players may not be accustomed to. As for me, I beat it in my 4th try.

Ezahn

God of War? Naaah, God of Patience for me.
The game is not still arrived.
Come on, postal service, cooooome oooooon!

You guys are making me drool here. ^^

Monocle

greatestjediever said:
Just beat the game. Epic.

So I guess he crawled off the cliff into the ocean huh? I guess with no more Gods, he becomes a Man-o'-War? Ok, I'm sorry.
Amazing. :lol

Edit:
LordPhoque said:
Am I the only one who thinks that the gameplay is now on par with, let's say, DMC3 at least ?
Nowhere close, which isn't to say it's not good.

Classic24

Banned
hey guys I just finished the God of War Collection and I must say, those are great action games, I did however get frustrated on some platformers that required NEAR perfect time which pissed me off, i died probably 100 times total lol, I am starting my first god of war 3 playthrough sunday morning!!! YEEHAW

I just finished the game. Going to start on the Collection later today. I got the Ultimate Trilogy Edition so I'll probably try the Challenges of Exile later on.

The game was an amazing experience, but I had this nagging feeling while playing through some sections. Probably had to do with the pacing. For me the
Caverns+Labyrinth
was an absolute low point in the game. I didn't feel the design AT ALL.
All these big boxes and a giant scorpion, it didn't click with me.
The game definitely peaks early with
Poseidon and Hades
, it just didn't live up to those encounters after that until the ending (although
Cronos
is probably the most intense encounter in the GOW-games :lol) .

Great game and an amazing technical achievement. GOW1 will still be my favourite in terms of pacing and story. I might sound a bit bitter because I really wanted this to be my favourite GOW-game, but sadly it is not. Still a must-have for every action loving PS3 owner

Click

Banned
Classic24 said:
hey guys I just finished the God of War Collection and I must say, those are great action games, I did however get frustrated on some platformers that required NEAR perfect time which pissed me off, i died probably 100 times total lol, I am starting my first god of war 3 playthrough sunday morning!!! YEEHAW

Try out GoW III on Titan mode first playthrough.
Talk about being near perfect...

The_Dude

After you
shoot Helios out of the sky and then cross the chasm using Harpies, you fight a few enemies and are then left with two doors to open, one of which just contains one of those bombs you blow up using the bow. Is there any purpose to the bomb? Are you supposed to use it to find a secret, or is it just to use on enemies?
I really didn't want to have to ask, but I can't go on until I know the answer!

gibration

The_Dude said:
After you
shoot Helios out of the sky and then cross the chasm using Harpies, you fight a few enemies and are then left with two doors to open, one of which just contains one of those bombs you blow up using the bow. Is there any purpose to the bomb? Are you supposed to use it to find a secret, or is it just to use on enemies?
I really didn't want to have to ask, but I can't go on until I know the answer!
I think it's just to use against enemies. Im not completely sure though because I was looking around to see if there was a purpose for it also but couldn't find any.

The_Dude

gibration said:
I think it's just to use against enemies. Im not completely sure though because I was looking around to see if there was a purpose for it also but couldn't find any.
Okay, thanks. I tried a couple of different things, but the game autosaves once it's used, so you'd have to keep replaying the whole section before it to try something else. Guess I'll just keep going!

Classic24 said:

IMPORTANT TIP: Double-jump may fail if you start your jump at the edge of a platform. An SM representative confirmed that this implementation is indeed different from GOW1/2, so you will need to slightly modify your platforming tendencies. Give yourself a little bit of space between yourself and the edge when you start your jump, your wings should still offer plenty of gliding distance to get you to wherever you're going.

Darkatomz

Well, I finally finished the game on hard mode. I'm not convinced this was the best God of War game. Sure, many of its departments were better than the rest (graphics, scale, combat, etc), but many could be given to the other games (most notably story). It's pretty good for what it is though.

But WTF, the motherfucking scorpion was just cruel. Died at least 35 times trying to kill him, shit like that just was not fun. I didn't have too much trouble with the boss Cerberus like some people here, thank god.

Now off to the bonus videos, and maybe some challenges!

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Started titan mode. The only really tough fight so far was the third judge trial, with the harpies/gorgon/minotaurs. Soo little room to maneuver. I'm now at
Hades
, he'll probably be a pain in the ass.

XonoX

I see a few people like me are experiencing freezing issues with this game.

Its unplayable for me. It could be anwhere from a few seconds to a few minutes before the game locks up. Music still runs in the background while the video locks.

Dosn't seem to be related to the action on the screen, as it sometimes freezes during the loading screen. Completely random.

I have a slim ps3 thats about four months old. Its the only game that this happens to me on.

Is there any talk from Sony about addressing these issues ? Anybody else here having the same experience as me ?

I personally don't feel GoW 1 had that strong a story...story was pretty linear and more minimal than I expected. Very simple premise as well. To be honest I think spectacle is the series greatest asset. As such I prefer each game over the last.

Funnily enough I don't think I died a single time during the fights in GoW1, but about a million times due to the bloody cheap puzzles. Really disliked them....

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
oki, seriously, I have to have an answer to this before I start on hard mode

how the hell do you kill the satyrs ? I hate them, they almost got the best of me on normal during that 2 satyrs 1 "dog" scene....

Trevelyon

Christ on a bike!

Please tell me those Satyrs disappear when you beat the Molten Cerberus.

Shit is kicking my arse (Titan mode) I get them down to the last head and it's just pandemonium. Five kamikaze dogs chasing, three Satyrs flipping around, Cerberus clawing, as soon a I stop dodge attacking it's over.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Trevelyon said:
Christ on a bike!

Please tell me those Satyrs disappear when you beat the Molten Cerberus.

Shit is kicking my arse (Titan mode) I get them down to the last head and it's just pandemonium. Five kamikaze dogs chasing, three Satyrs flipping around, Cerberus clawing, as soon a I stop dodge attacking it's over.
that's the last major regular combat encounter in the whole game

it was hellish for me, and I was on Normal.

Darunia said:
Started titan mode. The only really tough fight so far was the third judge trial, with the harpies/gorgon/minotaurs. Soo little room to maneuver. I'm now at
Hades
, he'll probably be a pain in the ass.
Hades is a very easy boss

Lyonaz

Anyone know a link to the full trophy list with all the hidden ones?

Also if I beat Chaos mode does that count as beating Titan mode? For the trophy of course.

Goodness me! The
Hades
boss fight was just something else. Wow. Seriously, my eyes were actually bleeding last night playing it. Reminded me a bit of the OogieBoogie scene in NBC. :D

Oh and I just did the demo scene in the game. I was not expecting the great additions they put in. I did not want to
chop Gaia's hand off
though :( The
Helios "block the light"
part was awesome. :D

Nothing comes close to this game, I'm only about 3 hours or so in too. Jees!

Kratos character model is just insane also. Him being covered in blood in a sight to see.

I downloaded the Ultimate edition goodies off PSN (the arena? and the extra costumes), can I not use these till I finish the game?

Also, where are the game trailers for GT5 etc? Are they only on the US disc?

And... there's a making of the whole GoW series or something in the US Ultimate Edition but not in the UK one, where can I watch this?

Fucking amazing. did anyone else get a msg3 vibe at the ending? when you had the long walk with the sorrow. very cool. now time to go for the platinum, i think titan mode is going to kick my ass. :(

obaidr

Banned
started yesterday and i am right at the
Hercules Fight
and by the Gods i Never ever See à better looking Game in My Life. this is the First Time in My Life i feel i Play à CG Movie. i played uncharted 2 and killzone 2 before but this is another Level. how did they do this? i an just BLOWN AWAY!!!11!!!!1

The only trophies I need are 1,000 combo will do on Chaos mode, Challenges will do after chaos mode, and plat. The labyrinth trophy without dying I did it on Titan mode easily.

Lyonaz

Combat arena is fucking awesome, just put 5 of your most hated enemies at their maximum amount and difficulty on Chaos. Good god I got slaughtered.:lol

You could also have your health/magic/item bar on infinite so you can just go on a killing spree.:D

Doc Evils

I finally haz God Of War 3 :lol I used my store credit at Game to get it and I won't be playing it since I'm going to a BBQ today. Monday will be epic for me. :lol

Dever said:
The
Kerberos/Satyr
fight... Wtf, this is impossible.

I think I was a little fortuitous in this fight. I actually found the vent sequence before it far more annoying.

I came out of that painfully long frustrating vent sequence with full rage of the titans and magic. It only took me a couple of attempts but once I figured out a decent strategy it was quite easy. At this stage I had a fully upgraded cestus, blades of exile and maxed my magic.

I just focused upon attacking the cerberus with the cestus as fast as I could, employing area attacks as the dogs approached to the point where I tore off it's first head. Following that I commenced spamming the maxed out Spartan magic which clipped the satyrs a fair bit with all the arrows which brought me to head number two. Then a full bar of rage gave me head number three and it was just the two significantly weakened satyrs which were easily disposed of.

Of course the situation would actually have been quite the nightmare if I had no magic and rage. I'm certainly glad that wasn't the case as the prior vent sequence was exceedingly annoying.

scoobs

BeeDog said:
Seriously, what's the best fucking way of disposing the Satyrs? Definitely the hardest enemies in the game for me.
Satyrs seem to be the hardest enemy in every gow game.

Man

BeeDog said:
Seriously, what's the best fucking way of disposing the Satyrs? Definitely the hardest enemies in the game for me.
I just nuke the sunofabitches :lol

They can even repel the rage of olympus so yeah... pretty though.

Synless

Is there a good spot to farm red orbs? I just got to Aphrodite's chamber and know I still have a ways to go. I don't want to pass a point where I could have spawned a bunch of enemies to get red orbs if I haven't passed a spot already.

Lyonaz

Satyrs aren't that hard, use gorgon flash or just grab them then do the minigame (mash O-button), if they're full health it takes 3-4 grabs I think. Basically just nuke them then grab, for victory! and impaling those fuckers on their own weapon is sooo satisfying.

Lyonaz said:
Satyrs aren't that hard, use gorgon flash or just grab them then do the minigame (mash O-button), if they're full health it takes 3-4 grabs I think. Basically just nuke them then grab, for victory! and impaling those fuckers on their own weapon is sooo satisfying.

There is no on the spot Gorgon flash in this game except when you kill a gorgon.

Trevelyon

Can anyone answer if those satyrs disappear after beating the cerberus? Like a trigger point to end the battle, do they just blow up into orbs if you haven't killed them?

My best chance at this point is to build up rage for the last head and hope the satyrs don't break the attack.

BeeDog

Trevelyon said:
Can anyone answer if those satyrs disappear after beating the cerberus? Like a trigger point to end the battle, do they just blow up into orbs if you haven't killed them?

My best chance at this point is to build up rage for the last head and hope the satyrs don't break the attack.

No, they don't disappear. :/ So you still have to take them out after you take out the cerberus.

Top Bottom