• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War |OT| Like Father, (Un)Like Son

Hotspurr

Banned
It's great that you're able to judge games that are not released yet, and won't be this year either. Any lottery numbers you'd like to recommend?

I mean, he's not wrong. From gameplay and trailers it looks similar to other sony titles that focus heavily on cinematic feel.

Sony learned their lesson with The Order, so they backed off a bit. I think people are starting to get a bit tired with this "cinematic" stuff. Some just want to play the game and not watch their character walk around slowly or press random buttons to execute "special" sequences.

Manus

I mean, he's not wrong. From gameplay and trailers it looks similar to other sony titles that focus heavily on cinematic feel.

Sony learned their lesson with The Order, so they backed off a bit. I think people are starting to get a bit tired with this "cinematic" stuff. Some just want to play the game and not watch their character walk around slowly or press random buttons to execute "special" sequences.

Totally agree. Every Western made game now feels the same. Their all trying to be movies and it's so boring.

nowhat

You don't see a Naughty Dog influence from all the footage we've seen from Days Gone? I'm not saying how good or bad the game is, but a comment about the style of gameplay.
I do, and I don't - the "break the environment to make the zombies do the work for you"-mechanic is new, and seemed interesting. On a personal level, I don't have high hopes for Days Gone. Zombies, meh. But who knows, it might be great. But we're talking about a game that's about a year off, anything can happen.

Some just want to play the game and not watch their character walk around slowly or press random buttons to execute "special" sequences.
So I take it you haven't played GoW yet? Because that's not what happens.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
I think people are expecting "old" God of War despite being told for years now that that was not what this game was going to be. The first footage we saw at E3 should have clued people in that the combo-meters and flailing blades of the previous game was not going to be the focus here. This game feels like Legacy of Kain to me and that's not a bad thing.

. . .I have no idea what "the Naughty Dog" effect means, and it sounds like a sort of petulant-put down honestly. People are thinking the game is "more of the same" because you "press O/X to boost your companion?" What kind of asinine nonsense is that?

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
After being 7 hours into the game it's exactly how he described it.

Which part, the "character walking slowly" (that only happens during cutscenes) or the "press random buttons to execute 'special sequences'" (which isn't in the game, unless you consider inputting buttons to execute character action what they mean - which is all games).

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Is it just me or is there a
Dark Souls
reference in this game?
When you see a knight up against the wall?

I must be feeling crazy

its when you're climbing the giant tower/mining area and there's a circular area where Atreus can light the room up. Sorry I'm not good with names right now

Last edited:

Manus

Which part, the "character walking slowly" (that only happens during cutscenes) or the "press random buttons to execute 'special sequences'" (which isn't in the game, unless you consider inputting buttons to execute character action what they mean - which is all games).

Are you kidding me? I've walked more when not in cutscenes than any God of War game to date. Don't get me started on the boring boat rides as well.

Plus this game has the dumbest menu management I've seen in a long time. Theirs menus on top of sub menus. I also hope their's more puzzles that actually involve more than just throwing your axe or raising a gate.

Last edited:

nowhat

Theirs menus on top of sub menus. I also hope their's more puzzles that actually involve more than just throwing your axe or raising a gate.
There are. That's the expression you're trying to use.

And WRT puzzles so far, sure, they have been rather generic. But at least they don't just involve pushing crates around, unlike some other first-party developer this keeps getting compared to.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Are you kidding me? I've walked more when not in cutscenes than any God of War game to date. Don't get me started on the boring boat rides as well.

Plus this game has the dumbest menu management I've seen in a long time. Theirs menus on top of sub menus. I also hope their's more puzzles that actually involve more than just throwing your axe or raising a gate.

You have a run button. And maybe this game isn't for you if you're viewing this is little more than a walking simulator.

Hotspurr

Banned
Full disclosure I didn't play the game yet. Just made some generic statements about things I don't like about cinematic games. Seems GoW does have some of these.

Also, wutnau, you seem to be very defensive. Not everyone is going to like cinematic games. I literally had to force myself to finish uncharted 4. After all I need to justify owning all 3 consoles somehow. I am simply waiting for someone to give some good impression on the combat intricacy or what makes this game innovative beyond some father son bickering or a throwable axe.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
IMG_4197.jpg

Anyone else get a Totaku figure? I had to get mine from GameStop's website.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Full disclosure I didn't play the game yet. Just made some generic statements about things I don't like about cinematic games. Seems GoW does have some of these.

Also, wutnau, you seem to be very defensive. Not everyone is going to like cinematic games. I literally had to force myself to finish uncharted 4. After all I need to justify owning all 3 consoles somehow. I am simply waiting for someone to give some good impression on the combat intricacy or what makes this game innovative beyond some father son bickering or a throwable axe.

What do you mean by "cinematic?" High production values? Is that REALLY a legit criticism? And if you want a "good impression" of the combat why not go and watch a stream or gameplay videos. At this point you should have all the information you need to determine if the game is for you or not, without resorting to generic impressions of the game gleaned from trailers and past experiences with "cinematic" (again, what does this mean) games.

And I think the person was "defensive" because you're literally tossing out things that just aren't in the game or seem incredibly petty like "the character walks."

Ar¢tos

I don't understand the comparisons to Uncharted, Horizon or even Days Gone. The combat here is melee based with combos and skills, unlike those 3 games and there are optional areas to explore with a lot of content. Feels like an Arpg, like Kingdoms of Amalur (without the ton of pointless side quests).
I'm enjoying it, if you are not.. well.. c'est la vie!

Hotspurr

Banned
What do you mean by "cinematic?" High production values? Is that REALLY a legit criticism? And if you want a "good impression" of the combat why not go and watch a stream or gameplay videos. At this point you should have all the information you need to determine if the game is for you or not, without resorting to generic impressions of the game gleaned from trailers and past experiences with "cinematic" (again, what does this mean) games.

And I think the person was "defensive" because you're literally tossing out things that just aren't in the game or seem incredibly petty like "the character walks."

Cinematic means the game is focused around appearing like a movie, where there are many limited player control sequences in favor of showing off set pieces and the like. A good example in this game is the boat sequence, which a user has already complained about. Having the game make you walk around inspecting things (eg. Attick scene in uncharted 4) to make it feel more like a movie rather than a game, is what I have a gripe with. So no, it's not high production values. It's sacrificing gameplay in favor of reundant movie moments.

My comments were targeted at cinematic games in general, which GoW seems to fall under. If people jump to assumptions thats on them. And you're right, crazy to think that on a longtime gamer forum, with many veteran gamers, one might be able to learn more from a discussion than to go watch some random YouTube videos. I expected too much, I guess? Rather than highlight the games strengths and have a discussion people are losing their minds over any criticism.

RPGCrazied

Why is there 2 patches? First a 1gig one, then a 6.1gig right after? Both are 1.10. Waited like 5 years for this game and I have to wait an hour to download patches. Ugh.

Someone messed up.

Last edited:

JangoRain

Why is there 2 patches? First a 1gig one, then a 6.1gig right after? Both are 1.10. Waited like 5 years for this game and I have to wait an hour to download patches. Ugh.

Someone messed up.

Patches in PS4 pro features from what I saw. I started the game without the update and just let it dl in the background until it was ready.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Cinematic means the game is focused around appearing like a movie, where there are many limited player control sequences in favor of showing off set pieces and the like. A good example in this game is the boat sequence, which a user has already complained about. Having the game make you walk around inspecting things (eg. Attick scene in uncharted 4) to make it feel more like a movie rather than a game, is what I have a gripe with. So no, it's not high production values. It's sacrificing gameplay in favor of reundant movie moments.

My comments were targeted at cinematic games in general, which GoW seems to fall under. If people jump to assumptions thats on them. And you're right, crazy to think that on a longtime gamer forum, with many veteran gamers, one might be able to learn more from a discussion than to go watch some random YouTube videos. I expected too much, I guess? Rather than highlight the games strengths and have a discussion people are losing their minds over any criticism.

You are jumping to assumptions based on the comments of one person who you're valuing above others because they confirm said assumptions. As for my insistence on going to YT, what other suggestion would you expect. Your request for impressions about the combat was wholly generic.

And again, no one is "losing their minds" over criticism, people are just rolling their eyes at either ill-informed descriptions of what the game is or just out and out misrepresenting it (as has been done in the last few pages). No one is under any obligation to treat that nonsense seriously. If you're complaining that the game doesn't have the same gameplay flow as the previous GoW's, sure argue that. Moaning that you actually have to interact with objects in the world, or that world traversal takes the form of a boat ride is just. . .ugh.

Hotspurr

Banned
You are jumping to assumptions based on the comments of one person who you're valuing above others because they confirm said assumptions. As for my insistence on going to YT, what other suggestion would you expect. Your request for impressions about the combat was wholly generic.

And again, no one is "losing their minds" over criticism, people are just rolling their eyes at either ill-informed descriptions of what the game is or just out and out misrepresenting it (as has been done in the last few pages). No one is under any obligation to treat that nonsense seriously. If you're complaining that the game doesn't have the same gameplay flow as the previous GoW's, sure argue that. Moaning that you actually have to interact with objects in the world, or that world traversal takes the form of a boat ride is just. . .ugh.

So at least we agree on the boat part ;)

In other news GameStop has a $40 guaranteed trade in if you buy this weekend. I might dust off the PS4 and give this ago, and then post some impressions on the hack and slash aspect and combat stuff.

dalekjay

Why bad thing happen to good people? My only complain so far is that you cannot swap block and aim button without swapping attack too

RPGCrazied

Welp, only an hour in, but the game is probably my game of the year. Good luck trying to beat this game. The opening music I got chill bumps. Only nitpick is some of the UI menus are kinda clunky.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I played a few hours. Graphically the game is very nice. The production values are impressive. I don’t feel like anything too exciting has happened so far. The boss fights have been dull. I am hoping it picks up soon.

RedVIper

Banned
Yes. I agree that there is a boat in this game.
You're just being thick for the sake of it, I think everyone here understands Hotspurr's point about a game being "cinematic", Uncharted 4 is a great example of this, great reviews and very praised overall, I was so bored playing it that I didn't even finish it. Now I don't know if that's the case with GOW, and you might disagree with Hotspurr, that's fine, but you can't just praise the game and then dismiss everyone's criticisms as "nonsense".

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
so far I'm 5h in to this game and I'm surprised how much I'm liking the combat and really surprised how tough the game is in hard difficulty.

I LOVED the boss fight with the
tattoo guy

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Sony exclusives are great, but too many are feeling as if they're made by the same team - Uncharted, TLOU, The Order, God of War, Horizon, Days Gone.

It’s a winning formula and not just Sony either. Spider-Man, GTAV, Red Dead Redemption, Witcher and many more play like this too.

Last edited:

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
so far I'm 5h in to this game and I'm surprised how much I'm liking the combat and really surprised how tough the game is in hard difficulty.

I LOVED the boss fight with the
tattoo guy
That honestly felt like final boss like quality. So well done from both a cinematography perspective, as well as a technical one.

Danjin44

That honestly felt like final boss like quality. So well done from both a cinematography perspective, as well as a technical one.
One my fear was this GOW would try too hard to be more "grounded" but that boss fight just said fuck that, lets go full on with this and I LOVED it!!!

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
The credits are an art piece, truly masterful. Props to the team behind the game. Incredible. The way they did it is a pure homage to everyone involved. The credits literally force you to watch them, and do so with joy. Usually credits are boring, people skip them, Alt F4, exit game, etc, but the ending credits are well done. The whole game is great. A true evolution upon GOW III (I know there are other GOW games but this is a successor to III).

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
One my fear was this GOW would try too hard to be more "grounded" but that boss fight just said fuck that, lets go full on with this and I LOVED it!!!
Yeah I was scared of the same thing, that and losing the sense of scale but it successfully manages to maintain both. Normally I'm not one to just gush over games, but this one is something special to me. It's not perfect, but it clicks on so many levels.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I just played the first three hours of the game - man o man this is something special.

Even my wife (who isn't usually into games that much) was really impressed and by the end of the play session she was saying it's the best game she's seen me play this year. Bad news is, now she won't let me advance on my own - she wants to see how the story plays out. That's okay though, I can take my time with this one.

Imtjnotu

the first two hours...... the Stranger.........this game is seriously something else. holy crap. im playing on hard and getting my ass handed to me tho. drauger heavys are hard AF

Danjin44

the first two hours...... the Stranger.........this game is seriously something else. holy crap. im playing on hard and getting my ass handed to me tho. drauger heavys are hard AF
No kidding!!! This game is tough as nails in hard difficulty, I really did not expect that!!! drauger heavies becomes even more problem when you combine it with
Revenant

Strider7

Quick question... Is it possible to get back to the area from the prologue? I believe I missed some stuff back there.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
I'm going to stick my head out here. Only 2 hours in, graphics 10, gameplay 7. I'm enjoying it and it's early days so hopefully gameplay picks up.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
You're just being thick for the sake of it, I think everyone here understands Hotspurr's point about a game being "cinematic", Uncharted 4 is a great example of this, great reviews and very praised overall, I was so bored playing it that I didn't even finish it. Now I don't know if that's the case with GOW, and you might disagree with Hotspurr, that's fine, but you can't just praise the game and then dismiss everyone's criticisms as "nonsense".

Maybe reread my comments before getting all in a tizzy. I asked for their definition of "cinematic" because there isn't much in this game that I felt qualified it as such (and still isn't). And yes, criticizing the game for having a fucking BOAT because that somehow is evidence that you have a lack of agency in the game is a nonsense criticism. Anything else?

Quick question... Is it possible to get back to the area from the prologue? I believe I missed some stuff back there.

Not for a minute. You can go back the way you came though and
unlock the Magic Gate. However you'll find that things have been changed thanks to the World Serpent

Last edited:

ExpandKong

Banned
Okay I redboxed the game and played for about three hours tonight.

No lie, the fight against
the Stranger
was pretty freaking awesome.

I just couldn’t help but remember God of War 2 and 3, when a fight like that wouldn’t have been preceded by a slow walking segment and followed by another slow walking segment.

I’m exaggerating a tiny bit but I’ve read that this game’s completion time is around 30 hours and I have this nagging feeling that they maybe just took the standard 10 hours of awesome God of War spectacle and surrounded it with 20 hours of mundane bullshit.

Combat and progression also kind of strike me as a poor man’s Dark Souls. Which is entirely unnecessary because we already have a poor man’s Dark Souls and it’s called Dark Souls 2.

I dunno. I’ll play for a couple more hours but I don’t think I’ll be renting a second night on this one at this rate.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Okay I redboxed the game and played for about three hours tonight.

No lie, the fight against
the Stranger
was pretty freaking awesome.

I just couldn’t help but remember God of War 2 and 3, when a fight like that wouldn’t have been preceded by a slow walking segment and followed by another slow walking segment.

I’m exaggerating a tiny bit but I’ve read that this game’s completion time is around 30 hours and I have this nagging feeling that they maybe just took the standard 10 hours of awesome God of War spectacle and surrounded it with 20 hours of mundane bullshit.

Combat and progression also kind of strike me as a poor man’s Dark Souls. Which is entirely unnecessary because we already have a poor man’s Dark Souls and it’s called Dark Souls 2.

I dunno. I’ll play for a couple more hours but I don’t think I’ll be renting a second night on this one at this rate.

If you're expecting previous God of Wars with the constant stream of enemies, and bright flashy combo meter in the corner. . .you are going to be disappointed. I have found the combat and skill progression to be sufficiently fleshed out, inviting a good deal of experimentation for playstyles (defense, offense, "magic" or some combination of the three) and aside from the obvious story beats, have not been "slow walking" (I honestly do not get this complaint, the game is clearly using it for effect; the idea that you are going to be stylized walking the majority of the game I just. . .I dunno how one comes to that conclusion based solely on narrative license).

vpance

About 4 hrs in. The combat is fun and the challenge is perfect on hard, but all that traversal busy work ripped straight out of Uncharted/TLoU is so meh. Plus the mundane convos. Such a tired formula.

The levels are tiny and cramped AF too. Guess it opens up later? Needs more Soulsborne and less Naughty God, IMO. Don't get me wrong, I'm still enjoying the game of course 🙂

Just finished a 9 hour play session. Very happy that there is a good amount of combat, opening part had me a bit worried at times, but there is plenty of game here and the mundane convos and forced walking are spaced good enough apart, especially if you do side quests. I found 2 big ones by exploring after getting out of the starting area which were really cool, and some typical little ones.

No kidding!!! This game is tough as nails in hard difficulty, I really did not expect that!!! drauger heavies becomes even more problem when you combine it with
Revenant
I decided to go down to normal, it's still quite challenging at times even then. Watched a few streams for a few minutes each, people that don't get armor and upgrading are really struggling even on normal since they're still getting taken out in 1 or 2 hits.

mcz117chief

I have this nagging feeling that they maybe just took the standard 10 hours of awesome God of War spectacle and surrounded it with 20 hours of mundane bullshit.

This is exactly how it feels to me. When the God of War stuff kicks in it is awesome but everything else is so dull it is borderline boring.

Sygma

There's one thing bugging the heck out of me : people talking about how enemies have way too much hp / how tedious the combat is at the highest difficulty. Like, its a difficulty supposed to be played once you re done with a first playthrough of whatever nature, so you re a little bit more knowledgeable about the game's systems.

You can destroy all the basic mobs without even using the axe very quickly if your stun game is on point. Axe is preeeeetty much not very good at the beginning of the game : just focus on the abilities giving you stun / frost and go ruin everything. Axe will be your tool to freeze - one shot mobs basically, aswell as the only source of reliable damage on the projectile based draugrs

Last edited:

ExpandKong

Banned
If you're expecting previous God of Wars with the constant stream of enemies, and bright flashy combo meter in the corner. . .you are going to be disappointed.

I mean...the game is called “God of War,” I don’t think I’m entirely in the wrong here for expecting that.

B_Signal

I got some shield variants with my game, I've downloaded them but I can't work out how to equip them? Do you have to wait until a certain point in the game or am I just missing something in the menus?

Top Bottom