• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ragnarök G|OT|Y

Rien

Jelly Belly
I am a bit in the
dwarf realm and still have only 1 runic attack. Have i missed something? My axe have 1 left and my blades nothing

tmlDan

hmmm, guys i need some pep talk here--two hours in and, aside from the presentation, the game is a real step backward from combat, to movement/agency, level design (sliding through 400 cracks). Am i missing something here? does it open up from combat and exploration perspective? Fighting more than 1 enemy is a nightmare control wise as the FOV is fairly atrocious. Please tell me this gets better...
I'm sorry but if you come here, 2 hours into a 30 hour game i just won't give you feedback - play more and find out, at that point you haven't unlocked a single thing, it's basically the intro.

Come back at 10 hours, if you can't commit to that then don't buy the game, we all knew how long it would be (also it's a sequel stop complaining about the FOV and controlling enemies the 2018 game was the same)

Gudji

Holyyy shiiiiiitttttttttt it just keeps getting better.

Game was good before Tyr but after it went crazy! Atreus feels fucking good to play!

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I've encountered a game breaking bug. I'm in this exact spot:

Basically, the magic door that should appear to allow you to travel to another realm is not showing up, no matter what I do.

I've restarted the game, reloaded an earlier save but no matter what I do, the door won't show. GG, Sony.

kratos-pc.gif

Topher

Gold Member
I believe you are simply satisfied with what you got. You are fine with a PS4 game. I sincerely mean it when I say more power to you. But don't pretend a PS5 can't allow for a notably different experience than you get on PS4 - that's hogwash.

Graphically, yes. Gameplay experience, not nearly as much, no. Again, I've repeatedly pointed to loading as a PS4 holdback and we have already seen advancements in that area. Outside of that I'm not seeing what this "notably different experience" will be. Your posts haven't changed that so I guess we won't see eye to eye. That's fine too.

Spyxos

Gold Member
I'm now at about 7 hours of gameplay. Woah the game is really fun and there are finally a lot more new monsters and bosses to kill. The story is also very entertaining so far, but it doesn't help that I only played through Gow 2018 this year.

It feels like a very big addon. It's very unfortunate that the graphics on the Ps5 has not be improved at all. Then also 10 euro more for what do I know what. Higher resolution?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
the pacing is really strange. Game started very strong and now I am over 15 hours in and kinda nothing happened. And good 75% of that was opening chests and slow walk corridors… and puke fantasy sections if you know what I mean.
The game feels smaller than 2018 so far and there are less side quests which is actually ok.
But it was supposed to include story of part 2 and 3 condensed in one game. Can’t say I am seeing that yet or how they will wrap this up.

Sorry don’t mean to be so negative. I love my time with the game and it is what I expected. But tbh I was hoping it would fire on all cylinders like gow3 did.
So far 2018 felt a bit better

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I think the games great. A good looking ps4 game running in high resolution....I'm a few hours in and I am a little surprised by all the 10/10s its just missing that wonder the 2018 game had and feels very samey. Let's not pretend that 2018 wasn't epic is fuck.

I think this is a solid 9 outta 10 for me so far with 2018 being a 10 out of 10.

Insane quality but it's to be expected from a sequel that will have had an unlimited budget and man power thrown at it.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
The game feels smaller than 2018 so far and there are less side quests which is actually ok.
But it was supposed to include story of part 2 and 3 condensed in one game. Can’t say I am seeing that yet or how they will wrap this up.
Smh
Bi4aQlW.jpg

Vanaheim alone is bigger than midgard in gow 2018

Explore people. The map doesnt show anything on it doesn't mean thee is nothing there. You will only find stuff if you look

Only those white flags are the places I've being. Now I'll start moving north to explore that area of the map. There was absolutely nothing before I decide to take the boat

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
hmmm, guys i need some pep talk here--two hours in and, aside from the presentation, the game is a real step backward from combat, to movement/agency, level design (sliding through 400 cracks). Am i missing something here? does it open up from combat and exploration perspective? Fighting more than 1 enemy is a nightmare control wise as the FOV is fairly atrocious. Please tell me this gets better...
Are you actually playing this without having played 2018? Don't do that.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Smh
Bi4aQlW.jpg

Vanaheim alone is bigger than midgard in gow 2018

Explore people. The map doesnt show anything on it doesn't mean thee is nothing there. You will only find stuff if you look

Only those white flags are the places I've being. Now I'll start moving north to explore that area of the map. There was absolutely nothing before I decide to take the boat
I know. I’ve don’t everything there is so far. I am in vanabeim now and it’s kinda busy looking visually. Getting tired of the jungle :p
I like the game. Especially first few hours and characters. Maybe I should withold my judgment.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I'm now at about 7 hours of gameplay. Woah the game is really fun and there are finally a lot more new monsters and bosses to kill. The story is also very entertaining so far, but it doesn't help that I only played through Gow 2018 this year.

It feels like a very big addon. It's very unfortunate that the graphics on the Ps5 has not be improved at all. Then also 10 euro more for what do I know what. Higher resolution?
the pacing is really strange. Game started very strong and now I am over 15 hours in and kinda nothing happened. And good 75% of that was opening chests and slow walk corridors… and puke fantasy sections if you know what I mean.

Sorry don’t mean to be so negative. I love my time with the game and it is what I expected. But tbh I was hoping it would fire on all cylinders like gow3 did.
So far 2018 felt a bit better
I pretty much called this last year in regards to HFW, GOW and even Elden Rings feeling too samey. This was always going to happen because unlike the PS3 games that were only 8-10 hours long, PS4 games were 40-50 hours long and we had our fill of the formula in the first game. Now it just feels more of the same.

I am still enjoying it more than HFW and Elden Rings, but im also wondering why the story has stalled all of a sudden after an explosive opening.

Chronicle

Does anyone know how to get the game to use 5.1 surround on a sound bar? It sees me soundbar as a dual channel Stereo, and tells me to go update it in system settings. I played around with it and apparently selecting Dolby Audio makes the PS5 think your Soundbar is stereo so I had to change that. That fixed my PS5 system audio which is clearly 5.1 surround now, but GOW still shows it as Stereo Dual channel. I do hear some audio coming in from the rear speakers but it doesnt feel like 5.1 surround.

Any ideas?
First how can a sound bar have 5.1? All sounds will be coming from the front.

I'm sorry but if you come here, 2 hours into a 30 hour game i just won't give you feedback - play more and find out, at that point you haven't unlocked a single thing, it's basically the intro.

Come back at 10 hours, if you can't commit to that then don't buy the game, we all knew how long it would be (also it's a sequel stop complaining about the FOV and controlling enemies the 2018 game was the same)
lol, *we* all knew how long what would be? I didn't play 2018, so nah, didn't know what to expect with the FOV and enemy controlling. Was also on a media blackout so that I could approach it with a fresh set of eyes.

Spyxos

Gold Member
I pretty much called this last year in regards to HFW, GOW and even Elden Rings feeling too samey. This was always going to happen because unlike the PS3 games that were only 8-10 hours long, PS4 games were 40-50 hours long and we had our fill of the formula in the first game. Now it just feels more of the same.

I am still enjoying it more than HFW and Elden Rings, but im also wondering why the story has stalled all of a sudden after an explosive opening.
I hate HFW. I wish i could get my time back from that weird unfinished game. I also just noticed that, while there is a lot to explore in Gow. But the more I play, the less story there is. I hope it changes. Maybe the story games have to be so long and stretched nowadays so people don't just buy mp games and ignore sp games.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

Yeah you hit the nail on the head.
Forbidden west is the worst case of this. Feels like work to play it…

tmlDan

lol, *we* all knew how long what would be? I didn't play 2018, so nah, didn't know what to expect with the FOV and enemy controlling. Was also on a media blackout so that I could approach it with a fresh set of eyes.
Why would you play a sequel without playing the first part of the story? You could have also looked it up and watched gameplay footage.

All seems strange imo

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
This Spoiler and spoiler. Holy fuck I'm in a Disney movie now. Make it stop. I could go the rest of the game without hearing anybody speak. Who thought that this much time waddling around on this thing would be enjoyable?
Seriously. The pukefest of forced cuteness.
I understand the story importance but it was so fucking long.
It’s like a part from completely different game

Last edited:

SlimySnake

First how can a sound bar have 5.1? All sounds will be coming from the front.
Soundbars have come with rear speakers for years now. My first soundbar was a 5.1 that came with three separate front channels, 2 rear speakers that attach to a wireless subwoofer. So 3.1 + 2 rear = 5.1.

Mine is Vizio's latest and greatest. 5.1.4, the 4 being the atmos upfiring speakers. 2 in the front and 2 in the rear.

6420000_rd.jpg

SlimySnake

I hate HFW. I wish i could get my time back from that weird unfinished game. I also just noticed that, while there is a lot to explore in Gow. But the more I play, the less story there is. I hope it changes. Maybe the story games have to be so long and stretched nowadays so people don't just buy mp games and ignore sp games.
I dont think people want stretched out 50 hour games. I think devs think we do, but they are wrong. Sony's best selling first party game last gen, and indeed alltime, was Spiderman. A 15 hour game. Hell, Miles is barely 8 hours long and it was in the top 10 for almost a year.

I think they looked at the mediocre sales of PS3 era exclusives and thought people want longer experience, but i think its just because that audience was on the 360 and when they finally got back that audience, the sales increased immediately. I still remember how KZ2 went from selling 250k in its first month to selling 2.1 million in its first 6 weeks. Infamous second son sold a million in 9 days. Even Uncharted 4 sold 16 million despite the PS3 sales topping out at 5-6 million. Thats a 15 hour game.

I think these longer padded out games hurt the pacing especially when the story is why most of us are tuning in for. Like it was for TLOU2. That game didnt need a 30 hour campaign. Thats 3 HBO seasons.

And while I enjoyed the story in HFW, i didnt enjoy the combat at all and the first one was my GOTY over Zelda BOTW.

Why would you play a sequel without playing the first part of the story? You could have also looked it up and watched gameplay footage.

All seems strange imo
what does that have to do with the issues i posed? Didn't ask or comment about the story, no issues with the presentation. Just wanted to know if it opens up after a bit as the levels seemed extremely constrained, controls feel akward and limiting, and the FOV is restricted. Like the story thus far, though.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Dude exactly. This and level everything all the time!!!!
At least it’s quiet in this game. In hfw they never fucking shut up

Don't know why you guys hate that part. Love it. So fucking beautiful.
Have to admid it drag a little bit too long though.
10/10 so far.

Since I refused to watch the digital foundry video on it, on PS5, does the basic performance mode stay at a higher res than performance mode with hfr on?

Spyxos

Gold Member
I dont think people want stretched out 50 hour games. I think devs think we do, but they are wrong. Sony's best selling first party game last gen, and indeed alltime, was Spiderman. A 15 hour game. Hell, Miles is barely 8 hours long and it was in the top 10 for almost a year.

I think they looked at the mediocre sales of PS3 era exclusives and thought people want longer experience, but i think its just because that audience was on the 360 and when they finally got back that audience, the sales increased immediately. I still remember how KZ2 went from selling 250k in its first month to selling 2.1 million in its first 6 weeks. Infamous second son sold a million in 9 days. Even Uncharted 4 sold 16 million despite the PS3 sales topping out at 5-6 million. Thats a 15 hour game.

I think these longer padded out games hurt the pacing especially when the story is why most of us are tuning in for. Like it was for TLOU2. That game didnt need a 30 hour campaign. Thats 3 HBO seasons.

And while I enjoyed the story in HFW, i didnt enjoy the combat at all and the first one was my GOTY over Zelda BOTW.
I played a lot of Resistance 2-3 and Killzone 2-3 online, but I quickly noticed how fast the games were dropped especially Killzone 3. Just after 6 months I found after forever searching only one server with I think 4 Koreans. I think Sony has seen this and changed their approach completely and relies since then on almost only story games, but they became longer and longer the more successful they became.

Last edited:

Chronicle

Soundbars have come with rear speakers for years now. My first soundbar was a 5.1 that came with three separate front channels, 2 rear speakers that attach to a wireless subwoofer. So 3.1 + 2 rear = 5.1.

Mine is Vizio's latest and greatest. 5.1.4, the 4 being the atmos upfiring speakers. 2 in the front and 2 in the rear.

6420000_rd.jpg
Thanks. I obviously had my head up my ass.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Graphically, yes. Gameplay experience, not nearly as much, no. Again, I've repeatedly pointed to loading as a PS4 holdback and we have already seen advancements in that area. Outside of that I'm not seeing what this "notably different experience" will be. Your posts haven't changed that so I guess we won't see eye to eye. That's fine too.
I'm not sure why you need me to prove there will be notable improvements to games designed for PS5, in comparison to games designed for PS4.

At the end of the day, it's simply the reason we buy these new consoles. We've seen games advance with each new generation of consoles for decades now. The fact that I have to point out the innovations we've seen is, frankly, baffling to me. You may have bought your PS5 to play the same games that can be released on PS4, at higher framerates, but I'd wager the vast majority of consumers did not.

The argument of "diminishing returns" will only take you so far. It doesn't mean that videogame hardware reached it's apex with the PS4 era. You're acting as if the PS5 isn't really capable of much more than the PS4. It's not going to hold water.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

I played a lot of Resistance 2-3 and Killzone 2-3 online, but I quickly noticed how fast the games were dropped especially Killzone 3. Just after 6 months I found after forever searching only one server with I think 4 Koreans. I think Sony has seen this and changed their approach completely and relies since then on almost only story games, but they became longer and longer the more successful they became.
And I think that was a miscalculation. With them getting a big chunk of the CoD audience from the 360, they had a great chance to expand upon their mp games. I also played KZ2 and KZ3 a lot, but just look at KZSF sales. It was a huge hit at launch. A MAG2 built using PS4's graphics wouldve been a huge hit or at the very least laid down the groundwork for battle royale.

Topher

Gold Member
I'm not sure why you need me to prove there will be notable improvements to games designed for PS5, in comparison to games designed for PS4.

At the end of the day, it's simply the reason we buy these new consoles. We've seen games advance with each new generation of consoles for decades now.

The argument of "diminishing returns" will only take you so far. It doesn't mean that the hardware reached it's apex with the PS4 era.

Never said hardware reached its apex with the PS4. We are going in circles. I suggest we both drop it.

tommib

Gold Member
Fucking hell, there’s a lot of moaning in this thread. Do some of you guys even like games?
I wasn’t going to play it but life’s short so decided to download it today. Couldn’t stop playing for 5 hours. Thoroughly enjoyable with endless amounts of polish. At the big creature after the dwarf city and I’m only stopping because of work. It has that kind of Nintendo quality and enjoyment to the whole thing.

Love that it’s linear and videogamey with very little busywork. Good shit. Have fun, people.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Never said hardware reached its apex with the PS4. We are going in circles. I suggest we both drop it.
You've said you can't imagine how there would be notable improvements allowed by designing a game for PS5 instead of PS4. You brought up diminishing returns. So, yes, that is implying we have reached the apex - "diminishing returns", "What notable improvements could they make?" You're implying there is no real advantage to designing the game for PS5 instead of PS4 because we have reached the point of diminishing returns anyway.

Last edited:

Spyxos

Gold Member
And I think that was a miscalculation. With them getting a big chunk of the CoD audience from the 360, they had a great chance to expand upon their mp games. I also played KZ2 and KZ3 a lot, but just look at KZSF sales. It was a huge hit at launch. A MAG2 built using PS4's graphics wouldve been a huge hit or at the very least laid down the groundwork for battle royale.
They have burned their fingers too much with the ps3 mp games. Last of Us is getting a big Mp game and i think Horizon as well. Was KZSF great I only played it very briefly?

And to stay with God of War. I also had a lot of fun with God of War Ascension pvp. I wish they would bring something like that back.

cormack12

Gold Member
So I freed Willy and got to the mines. When does it pick up. Combat is a joke.
I'd say it starts to pick up a little further on. Without spoilers it will be after levelling your abilities a bit and you unlock a parry (story based) to interrupt attacks with blue rings (instead of the gold/red).

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Pretty silly of you to keep replying to me, while telling me we should drop the conversation. Pretty transparent too. I don't think you have a point to stand on, so you're saying "hmm we better drop this and you should stop making points against my argument." lol

And "c'mon man", no one wants to scroll past a giant frozen gif.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Pretty silly of you to keep replying to me, while telling me we should drop the conversation. Pretty transparent too. I don't think you have a point to stand on, so you're saying "hmm we better drop this and you should stop making points against my argument." lol

And "c'mon man", no one wants to scroll past a giant frozen gif.

It is simply a matter of everything that can be said, has been said, and we simply disagree. Now you have a choice....

decisions don't be a dick GIF

JusticeForAll

Gold Member
I have to say, boy annoys me this time around. And I really dislike
playing as him. The third time it happened (after he turned into a bear in Sindri's house and wrecked the door,
I just put down the controller and shut the game down.

Apart from that I really like the game, but that's no surprise since I loved the previous one.

Last edited:
Top Bottom