• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ragnarök G|OT|Y

Topher

Gold Member
You don't think odins accent stands out? I can't be the only one who thinks this. Maybe it's because I'm from rhe UK.

Exactly. New Jersey wise guy. Whole mannerisms and everything....its far from norse god...its jarring to me. I'm getting passed it now but it's a little grating.

I didn't get the mafia vibe at first, but I went back and watched the scene again and I can kind of get it. It wasn't jarring at all though. Probably because it has been made abundantly clear with the portly version of Thor that the creators are taking some liberties in portraying these characters in unexpected ways. I didn't expect Odin to be a smallish figure, but it makes sense as he is being painted as a wily villain just as he was described in the previous game. I like the direction it is going and the voice acting is superb.

Gudji

"other than the open world design" lol.
That's it? We're done here.

To sum it up: your arguments to make ragnarok seem like it had small improvements compared to other sequels - a game you most likely aren't even playing - are a crock of shit.

jm89

Anyone else seeing screen flickering? I thought it was my hdmi cable crapping out but then jumped to horizon and just walked around and no flickering.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
That's it? We're done here.

To sum it up: your arguments to make ragnarok seem like it had small improvements compared to other sequels - a game you most likely aren't even playing - are a crock of shit.
You said there was practically no innovation between MGS 1 and 2.

Then said going from a metroidvania style game to open-world design doesn't "change the gameplay".

Then you acted like adding a multiplayer component to Halo was no big deal.

Yes, to sum it up, my argument is that Ragnarok has small improvements compared to other sequels - especially for one on a next-gen console two years into it's life.

Your argument is I am "factually wrong". It is amusing how you think adding "factually" makes it true.

But most of all, you already admitted (going against your former argument) that MGS2 did have substantial innovations - but - that was "only due to it being on new hardware"....which is exactly the point.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

I'm about seven hours in, and yes, it's 'just' a continuation of the first game in every respect, but by fucking crikey, it's one hell of a continuation so far.

Looks absolutely fucking stunning at 120 on an OLED.

I'm spending a load of time on the side quest shit in the first major (beautiful) area after the Midgard start. The discovery and exploration is excellent.

Absolutely top notch so far, and a closer contender for GOTY with Elden Ring than I thought it would be.
The Thor fight was something else - less the actual battle, and more the tense build up.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Character spoilers about 12 hours in.. my opinion (meh, not sure about some of what's going on)
I am playing 2nd section as "aterus/loki/whatever" and I am not sure about that... it's ok if you controlled him for some narrative but it's yet another skill trees, inventories, movesets... It's very easy to play as him but I really don't think the game needed YET ANOTHER complexity to it. Kratos moveset is already headache complex at times.
And his iron forest section is so out of place. It's so colorful, happy and fantasy like. I don't get god of war out of this at all...
But that aside, the game is too mechanics drievn(simple mechanics but a lot of them) and it's a huge collectathlon, even more so than 2018.
The game is great and all but it's called god of war.... I don't want to disregard it yet since tlou2 Abby ended up as my fav character of that game but still. It's too fantasty.
And they you give commands to The Angryboda girl to shoot and hold button to falcon or something. Like cmon.

Btw. Anyone remembers where Atresus picked up that nut looking ball thingy? He keeps starring at it.
And he was dreaming an now he is in this forest. I don't get it. Is he sleeping or teleporting? Don't marvel up this shit up. In marvel movies, they change world rules with each entry, so at the end nothing is gorunded

cormack12

Gold Member
She looks cuter than freya at least.

I love cray cray, Freya Frey. I'd shut her shit down fast, and she would love me for it.

I think it's the lighting that that makes the ginger look a bit gawky though.

Whenever I see Kratos trying to be a decent person I have flashbacks to what he did to that princess in God of War III. 😭

I still get hard too, it's OK.

bro hug GIF

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Yes, to sum it up, my argument is that Ragnarok has small improvements compared to other sequels - especially for one on a next-gen console two years into it's life.
GOW 2018 already drastically changed the formula compare to pervious games and Ragnarok is about improving that new formula, same way God of War 2 did after original games on PS2.

This was always going to be the case.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
GOW 2018 already drastically changed the formula compare to pervious games and Ragnarok is about improving that new formula, same way God of War 2 did after original games on PS2.

This was always going to be the case.
But not the same way God of War 3 did from God of War 2. Which is a more apt comparison, due to this being a new generation.

Or any of the other countless examples listed above.

Last edited:

Chronicle

Questions:
Upgrade it or save materials for later?
I want more finishers. How do I earn them?
Is there items hidden in breakable objects like the boxes and large vases etc? Should I waste my time with them?

There was a horrible vignette on the game when I started. Turned ip the brightness and it's much better.

Gudji

You said there was practically no innovation between MGS 1 and 2 lol.
No, I said they played similar and they do.
Then said going from a metroidvania style game to open-world design doesn't "change the gameplay". lol
I said some games improved/changed more than others that's true in the level design aspect of the second batman game.
At the end of the day the experience will be similar to the first game despite that change (combat, puzzles, bosses, even some enemies).

I really don't know where you wanna go with this, already told you all sequels remain true to the original game while doing improvements some bigger than others.

Danjin44

But not the same way God of War 3 did from God of War 2. Which is a more apt comparison, due to this being a new generation.

Or any of the other countless examples listed above.
God of War 3 mostly plays same as God of War 2 but with better graphics, there was no game changing innovation there.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
No, I said they played similar and they do.

I said some games improved/changed more than others that's true in the level design aspect of the second batman game.
At the end of the day the experience will be similar to the first game despite that change (combat, puzzles, bosses, even some enemies).

I really don't know where you wanna go with this, already told you all sequels remain true to the original game while doing improvements some bigger than others.
No, you argued against me when I said MGS 2 has a lot of innovation from MGS1. That was my point, so saying "they play the same" doesn't add up. There is either gameplay innovation and it plays differently, or there is not. We are talking about gameplay innovation through the power of new consoles. MGS2 executed on that.

I'm still convinced you're too emotionally invested to see straight, both because you are arguing in circles against yourself and you're also taking this extremely harshly and lashing out at anyone who disagrees with you. It's not that serious. People get angry when they are backed into a corner with no argument and it seems that's what you are doing. Notice how abrasive your posts are in this conversation. Why? Because we disagree about a videogame? I probably gave some attitude back, but idk man.

No, the experience of Arkham City from Arkham Asylum is not as similar as it is here. The world-design has a huge impact on the gameplay loop. It's a huge difference. You are playing it down.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
You said there was practically no innovation between MGS 1 and 2 lol.

Then said going from a metroidvania style game to open-world design doesn't "change the gameplay". lol

Then you acted like adding a multiplayer component to Halo was no big deal.

Your argument is I am "factually wrong" lol. It is amusing how you think adding "factually" makes it true.

But most of all, you already admitted (going against your former argument) that MGS2 did have substantial innovations - but - that was "only due to it being on new hardware"....which is exactly the point.
Holly fuck can you guys take this corny shit somewhere else?

Wanna talk about technical shit go make a thread about it

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Holly fuck can you guys take this corny shit somewhere else?

Wanna talk about technical shit go make a thread about it
Sorry, but it's a conversation that is directly related to the game. Be the change you want to see and start a discussion that interests you. That's more fruitful than bitching because you aren't personally entertained by the content you are scrolling past.

I've gone to great lengths to back up my points in this thread, have been relatively civil, and it's all related to the game, so no.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
Sorry, but it's a conversation that is directly related to the game. Be the change you want to see and start a discussion that interests you. That's more fruitful than bitching because you aren't personally entertained by the content you are scrolling past.

I've gone to great lengths to back up my points in this thread, have been relatively civil, and it's all related to the game, so no.
Nobody gives a shit. You just come across as salty as fuck. How many pages you are going to parroting the same shit.

Oh mah gawd teh graphix oh mah gawd

FrankWza

Is that so? Most PS5 players I've talked to so far and read experience reports from are rather disillusioned by the non-current-gen-like presentation - which is not to take away from the goodness of the game. It's just an observation
Just saying that the part you said I quoted, that is happening. DF did a last gen video and were impressed and it does look and run better on PS5. I only have it on PS5 and I think it looks better than GoW18 and it runs better than GoW 18 on PS5 even after the patch. So it’s an improvement on both PS4 versions in looks and performance.

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Nobody gives a shit. You just come across as salty as fuck. How many pages you are going to parroting the same shit.

See, my post actually offered a lot more than what you are now doing. I'm also getting a lot of intelligent responses, which is going to lead to me replying. It also means that a lot of us here are actually engaged in the discussion.
You're sort of just strolling in angry because you aren't entertained. Pretty lame. Start your own discussion.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
See, my post actually offered a lot more than what you are now doing.
Bitching adds nothing to it.
Yeah santa Monica are that good making good looking games. Compare gow with starfield, Gotham knights, deathloop, Tokyo wire ghost. All these are next gen only games but they look like shit next to god of war so don't know what's the point you are trying to make.

Anyway I'm not going to drag any more this conversation. If you want to talk about the game thats cool.

BbMajor7th

Character spoilers about 12 hours in.. my opinion (meh, not sure about some of what's going on)
I am playing 2nd section as "aterus/loki/whatever" and I am not sure about that... it's ok if you controlled him for some narrative but it's yet another skill trees, inventories, movesets... It's very easy to play as him but I really don't think the game needed YET ANOTHER complexity to it. Kratos moveset is already headache complex at times.
And his iron forest section is so out of place. It's so colorful, happy and fantasy like. I don't get god of war out of this at all...
But that aside, the game is too mechanics drievn(simple mechanics but a lot of them) and it's a huge collectathlon, even more so than 2018.
The game is great and all but it's called god of war.... I don't want to disregard it yet since tlou2 Abby ended up as my fav character of that game but still. It's too fantasty.
And they you give commands to The Angryboda girl to shoot and hold button to falcon or something. Like cmon.

Btw. Anyone remembers where Atresus picked up that nut looking ball thingy? He keeps starring at it.
And he was dreaming an now he is in this forest. I don't get it. Is he sleeping or teleporting? Don't marvel up this shit up. In marvel movies, they change world rules with each entry, so at the end nothing is gorunded
Glad it's not just me who finds the game too mechanically overwrought. Combat has so much to keep in mind - elegance in simplicity is always my preferred approach.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Bitching adds nothing to it.
Yeah santa Monica are that good making good looking games. Compare gow with starfield, Gotham knights, deathloop, Tokyo wire ghost. All these are next gen only games but they look like shit next to god of war so don't know what's the point you are trying to make.

Anyway I'm not going to drag any more this conversation. If you want to talk about the game thats cool.
No, you don't understand what point I am trying to make. It hardly has anything at all to do with graphics. You sound very confused. And what you are doing right now is bitching.

BbMajor7th

No, you don't understand what point I am trying to make. It hardly has anything at all to do with graphics. You sound very confused. And what you are doing right now is bitching.
Yeah, it's a decent graphical step, but the underlying game is very much GOW 2018 (I say that 23 hours in). For me, that original game executed so well on that approach that retreading really doesn't add a great deal.

Hugare

Complains about "bitching" while being triggered like an angry teenager.

Dude is having a respectful conversation and raising poignant points about the game, on the game's thread

Either ignore or fuck off

Glad it's not just me who finds the game too mechanically overwrought. Combat has so much to keep in mind - elegance in simplicity is always my preferred approach.

I find it overly complex at times, but I much preffer this combat system to the first game. It has just enough more options to make it engaging enough for the +20H duration of the campaign.

I just finished Alfhein, and seems like the combat is now at its peak (maybe it will improve even more?)

Throwing the axe at those stones to make it bounce and hit enemies to stagger them in the middle of the fight looked and felt awesome.

"Blue indicators" made combat more engaging. The shield use in this game is so much better than the first one, imo. Giving it an offensive option is great.

I also love how exploration is streamlined now. No more complex puzzles just to open a chest.

"Wanna loot? Here's the chest right at your side. Or simply ignore it". Optional stuff are straight to the point, love it.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
so my main gripes are over complexity of mechanics similar like doom eternal.
Over complexity of some small puzzle zones. You really have to go in and out around to open the chest but that’s ok.
Over fantasy. Feels like hobbit at times.

But so far there is no Metroidvania hub feeling. The world does not feel so connected like in 2018.

But all in all it’s again just piss break thoughts. Going back to the game :p

Hugare

Over complexity of some small puzzle zones. You really have to go in and out around to open the chest but that’s ok.

But so far there is no Metroidvania hub feeling. The world does not feel so connected like in 2018.

"Over fantasy" about a game called God of War Ragnarok is one strange complaint, man

What do you mean by that?

And I agree that the world doesnt feel as connected like in 2018. But in exchange, it feels so much bigger in scope.

Last edited:

Vick

Gold Member

Over complexity of mechanics are bollocks to me, they are made to be mastered by skillful players even after thousands of hours like in the first one.. but the bolded is very concerning to me.

Care to expand on that, with no Spoilers please? How does exploration work then?
I can only start the game tomorrow but what you wrote is a real hype killer to me.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Over complexity of mechanics are bollocks to me, they are made to be mastered by skillful players even after thousands of hours like in the first one.. but the bolded is very concerning to me.

Care to expand on that, with no Spoilers please? How does exploration work then?
I can only start the game tomorrow but what you wrote is a real hype killer to me.
No hub world but every realm is accessible and explorable by boat just like midgard was. Plenty to explore its the same exact design.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
"Over fantasy" about a game called God of War Ragnarok is one strange complaint, man

What do you mean by that?

And I agree that the world doesnt feel as connected like in 2018. But in exchange, it feels so much bigger in scope.

2018 felt mostly all on 1 map and everything was connected by boat.
It’s not like that here… but I am only 14 hours in. There are smaller open areas like that though.

Over fantasy is simple. It’s exactly like hellboy2. Small funny creatures everywhere, super saturated colours all around, talking animals, goofy stuff like that.
Feels more like hobbit than lord of the rings if that says anything. Feels like a game for little girls lol at times.
Anyway. It’s complaint about only certain part of the game so far

Edit: to add to that. Feels like puke of every fantasy rather than Grounded Nordic mythology and even that felt more corny than previous games.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

A Couple of PSAs.

• You can disable or rather delay hints in this game by going into Accessibility Settings and choosing Extended or Extended+ option which will extend the time before an NPC gives you the answer to the puzzle. EDIT: This might be a a setting for a different time based puzzle.
  • People who have 120hz 4k VRR screens playing in 40 fps mode should disable VRR from PS5 system settings to reduce judder/stutter in the 40 fps unlocked mode. Disabling VRR will lock it to 40 fps which is much more smooth than unlocked 40 fps which tops out at 45 fps anyway. Camera panning while exploring the first world was so bad, but turning off VRR fixed it for me. Now it's almost as smooth as 60 fps.

Last edited:

Markio128

Gold Member
A Couple of PSAs.

• You can disable or rather delay hints in this game by going into Accessibility Settings and choosing Extended or Extended+ option which will extend the time before an NPC gives you the answer to the puzzle.
  • People who have 120hz 4k VRR screens playing in 40 fps mode should disable VRR from PS5 system settings to reduce judder/stutter in the 40 fps unlocked mode. Disabling VRR will lock it to 40 fps which is much more smooth than unlocked 40 fps which tops out at 45 fps anyway. Camera panning while exploring the first world was so bad, but turning off VRR fixed it for me. Now it's almost as smooth as 60 fps.
The first thing I changed was to hold a button down rather than hammer it when the prompt appears. But yeah, there are lots of really useful options.

ABnormal

A Couple of PSAs.

• You can disable or rather delay hints in this game by going into Accessibility Settings and choosing Extended or Extended+ option which will extend the time before an NPC gives you the answer to the puzzle.
Maybe it depends by the TV, but I'm experiencing contant smoothness from quality+unlocked frame rate. No stuttering or judder, and significantly more fluid than fixed 40 frame.

"Tops out at 45" is just bullshit. My tv shows the frame rate and resolution in real time and frame rate is constantly between 45 and 60 and something. They wouln't even take in consideration doing a 40 fps unlocked mode, if it was "topping at 45"

Last edited:

scydrex

There were more enemies on screen and the graphics were an insane leap. Not a minimal leap like we see here.
Of course ps1 to ps2 and ps2 to ps3 jump in graphics is bigger than ps4 to ps5. Even if Ragnarok were a PS5 exclusive still the leap from ps2 to ps3 would be much bigger in graphics.

Last edited:

tommib

Gold Member
A Couple of PSAs.

I don’t think this means what you think it means. It gives you more time to finish timed puzzles. It’s not related to hint frequency.

TrebleShot

A Couple of PSAs.

Legend was wondering how to lock the 40fps mode

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Of course ps1 to ps2 and ps2 to ps3 jump in graphics is bigger than ps4 to ps5. Even if Ragnarok were a PS5 exclusive still the leap from ps2 to ps3 would be much bigger.
I guess that's up in the air. I'm pretty convinced the game could look quite a bit better if it were designed for PS5. And again, things like enemy count, size of the levels.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Maybe it depends by the TV, but I'm experiencing contant smoothness from quality+unlocked frame rate. No stuttering or judder, and significantly more fluid than fixed 40 frame.

"Tops out at 45" is just bullshit. My tv shows the frame rate and resolution in real time and frame rate is constantly between 45 and 69 and something.
What VRR tv do you have? LG tvs cant display VRR frames below 50 fps correctly.

You can see here that the framerate sits below 45 fps at all times. There is no way the game is running at 69 FPS in the native 4k mode.

Danjin44

I guess that's up in the air. I'm pretty convinced the game could look quite a bit better if it were designed for PS5. And again, things like enemy count, size of the levels.
The way camera is in modern GOW, you are not gonna see 1000 enemies on screen, that has less to do with tech more to do with game design.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
The way camera is in modern GOW, you are not gonna see 1000 enemies on screen, that has less to do with tech more to do with game design.
Right, but I was asked for examples in which GoW3 innovated beyond GoW2 and that was one of them.

It doesn't mean Ragnarok needs to copy the game design of Gow3. It should innovate in it's own ways.

But speaking of the limited FOV camera, I think that's also party due to limitations of PS4. The wider the FOV, the more taxing it is on the hardware. You are processing more of the screen and everything going on in your purview at once.

Otherwise, with all the accessibility options, you'd think they'd allow players to widen it. Nearly everyone is mentioning it's very tight and they are going to great lengths to find alternative ways to let us know what is surrounding us. Seems like another limitation.

Last edited:

ABnormal

What VRR tv do you have? LG tvs cant display VRR frames below 50 fps correctly.

You can see here that the framerate sits below 45 fps at all times. There is no way the game is running at 69 FPS in the native 4k mode.

It's the Panasonic Oled JZ1500. It's one of the highend of the last year. Until now it has managed pretty much flawlessly.

GymWolf

Gold Member
A Couple of PSAs.

did you noticed any reason to play in quality 40 over perf 60 locked?

Danjin44

but I was asked for examples in which GoW3 innovated beyond GoW2 and that was one of them.
having high number of enemy on screen is not really “innovation” Dynasty Warriors did that back in PS2 days.

For Most part God of War 3 mostly plays exactly as previous games with added moves and weapons.

Last edited:
Top Bottom