• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ragnarök G|OT|Y

oji-san

Banned
Cool OT, Thank you.

About 2 hours in, playing the performance HFR mode and i'm super satisfied.
Gameplay is similar to 2018 but i liked it so much that i want more.

Airbus Jr

Banned
200.gif

Topher

Gold Member
Cool OT, Thank you.

About 2 hours in, playing the performance HFR mode and i'm super satisfied.
Gameplay is similar to 2018 but i liked it so much that i want more.

Yeah, game play is very smooth. Combat definitely carried over, for the most part, from 2018 but I don't see that as a bad thing really as I enjoyed it a lot last time. Really enjoying exploring the new realms.

kyliethicc

Love the parry shield.

Axe remains bae.

I'll be sad if they ditched the Nifilheim maze.

The writing and performances in this game are ... quite a range. Hot and cold.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I felt like I was Nathan Drake playing as Atreus. He’s climbing everywhere, sneaking under things that look like buses, and he’s talking to himself

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
My blades are always 1 level behind axe.
Have I messed up and missed some flame in the beginning or is this how it is ?
I find the Blades kinda redundant anyway. Axe is better

Markio128

Gold Member
My blades are always 1 level behind axe.
Have I messed up and missed some flame in the beginning or is this how it is ?
I find the Blades kinda redundant anyway. Axe is better
I’m the same. I much prefer the axe - my favourite weapon in recent memory. I only use the chains when I need to, like when I have to set fire to something, or clear out those little ankle biters.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I’m the same. I much prefer the axe - my favourite weapon in recent memory. I only use the chains when I need to, like when I have to set fire to something, or clear out those little ankle biters.
So you are level behind on these too? It’s by design then. So annoying since it’s hampering my levelling

iorek21

I'm, what, 12h in and I've got mixed feelings about it. Some parts are really great (story bits minus Jack and the Beanstalk stuff), but story feels so scattered... pacing is not really great.

Not getting into any conclusions yet, will comment more as I go.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Can someone advise me if two venheim quests are worth doing? The ones you can take after you are done with the main quest there.

Also. What were they thinking with you allies spoiling puzzles as soon as you take 5 seconds to look at it?! And every ledge and interaction is painted. They should borrow uncharted world designer. In that game it feels like you have free reigns. Here you follow markers.
But exploration is still very addictive

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Yes. There is a noticeable difference in IQ. HFR+VRR adds slight shimmering because then the game runs at 1440p.

Locked 40 fps is the way to go. Looks great and runs very smooth. No jitteryness during camera pans I was seeing in VRR. Do we know if this game has LFC support? I could swear that VRR is supposed to remove those juddery feeling from games, not add them.
I wish there was option to run with vrr and locked 40. Just so it’s locked but vrr would help with small drops. As it is now, it’s unlocked in fidelity hfr I think

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I wish there was option to run with vrr and locked 40. Just so it’s locked but vrr would help with small drops. As it is now, it’s unlocked in fidelity hfr I think
No drops below 40. They use dynamic resolution scaling to eliminate drops. It drops to 1800p from 2160p whenever there is a drip coming. Check the test from gaming tech.

G-Bus

Banned
Maybe not the best place to ask but how do I turn VRR on for the LG C1?

Settings brings up game optimizer and it says off and I have no idea how to turn it on. It's on in the PS5 settings.

Topher

Gold Member
Maybe not the best place to ask but how do I turn VRR on for the LG C1?

Settings brings up game optimizer and it says off and I have no idea how to turn it on. It's on in the PS5 settings.

Click the settings cog wheel on your remote. This should come up:

zGfN1pl.jpg

Click Game Optimizer. Then scroll down using your up and down buttons on your remote until you get to....

6vLtdBs.jpg

Toggle it on. Make sure you have VRR on with PS5 as well.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
After 23 hours (my copy arrived early) with the game, I can confidently say it's not my game of the year. The more frustrating elements from the first game are pushed even harder here, with puzzles now landing largely in the tedious zone (I've abandoned the last three puzzle chests because I simply couldn't find the third rune) and combat isn't much better.

I'm playing in 'Give Me Balance' and it feels distinctly unbalanced and encounters honestly get exhausting. I wasn't completely blown away by the first one (which just felt like a more polished and presentable Darksiders with a crafting system bolted on), so maybe this shouldn't shock, but hey-ho, to each their own I guess.
Sounds exactly the same like horizon 2.
Sequalitis virus of add more of everything… even the stuff that’s like a 2nd job because game gotta be complex and 50 hours

Sleepwalker

Not reading thru spoilers, starting this tomorrow. Whats the consensus over unlocked quality + vrr vs locked 60 performance?

I have a sony oled a80j if it matters

G-Bus

Banned
Click the settings cog wheel on your remote. This should come up:

zGfN1pl.jpg

Click Game Optimizer. Then scroll down using your up and down buttons on your remote until you get to....

6vLtdBs.jpg

Toggle it on. Make sure you have VRR on with PS5 as well.

Yea I switched both those on and it still says VRR was off in the game optimizer menu.

Maybe I did things in a funny order and that's why. I'll check it out again tonight.

Thanks.

Anyone else frustrated by the constant and immediate spoiling of any puzzle elements? I step one foot into a new area and Atreus or Mimir is immediately explaining what to do. I am not even given a moment to possibly look around and figure things out on my own.

"hey that geyser up there" "hey you could use your axe here" "hey whats up there" "i see something" "brother this is where that thing is" "use your key here"

Everywhere I go. It's almost as bad as Fi from Skyward Sword.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Yea I switched both those on and it still says VRR was off in the game optimizer menu.

Maybe I did things in a funny order and that's why. I'll check it out again tonight.

Thanks.

Make sure you are using a HDMI 2.1 cable as well.

Anyone else frustrated by the constant and immediate spoiling of any puzzle elements? I step one foot into a new area and Atreus or Mimir is immediately explaining what to do. I am not even given a moment to possibly look around and figure things out on my own.

"hey that geyser up there" "hey you could use your axe here" "hey whats up there" "i see something" "brother this is where that thing is" "use your key here"

Everywhere I go. It's almost as bad as Fi from Skyward Sword.
Lol, was just thinking the same thing. They basically talked me through the whole thing without a chance to think it through myself

Hugare

I've just reached "that colorful place" 8h in, and I'm so blown away by the graphics here

Like holy shit. It may be the best looking area that I've seen in any game. Love the colors, the contrast, the goddamn textures that look so detailed.

Ive seen people saying that it's "Disney", "childish", fuck that noise. It looks amazing.
Have you guys really played the first game? 'Cause there were sections there that were very colorful too.

Some huge flaw that I noticed regarding gameplay

Playing as Atreus with Alternate controls is completely broken. You cant aim and shoot with the face buttons. What I have to do is aim, hold the arrow with R2 and then aim with the left thumb to press square or triangle with the right hand

Topher

Gold Member
Lol, was just thinking the same thing. They basically talked me through the whole thing without a chance to think it through myself

That's really my only complaint. I'm thinking "shut up, kid, I'll figure it out". They need to give folks the option to turn that off.

Oof85

Banned

By the way, for whomever is looking for gameplay innovation I'd recommend to go indie. Nobody is going to experiment in a AAA game because is too risky.
Nintendo with Zelda though.

We can already see that with Tears of the Kingdom, it's gonna be a pretty big departure from Botw.

And that's being done on the sequel to the biggest game in the series by far.

The only reason other publishers keep just maximizing the busy work in sequels is because they're rewarded for it.

Stop rewarding them and you'll see more innovation between titles.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Good news: My copy arrives tomorrow :messenger_grinning_sweat:
Bad news: I have to go for a long weekend vacation with the family :messenger_downcast_sweat:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Why are the enemies so spongey?? :(

There has to be another way to approach the combat encounters. The axe feels like a stick.

zkorejo

Does anyone know how to get the game to use 5.1 surround on a sound bar? It sees me soundbar as a dual channel Stereo, and tells me to go update it in system settings. I played around with it and apparently selecting Dolby Audio makes the PS5 think your Soundbar is stereo so I had to change that. That fixed my PS5 system audio which is clearly 5.1 surround now, but GOW still shows it as Stereo Dual channel. I do hear some audio coming in from the rear speakers but it doesnt feel like 5.1 surround.

Any ideas?
In the PS5 settings, go to audio settings and choose AV amplifier instead of Soundbar. Choose 5.1 channel, even if you have 3.1 so it supports subwoofer. Every other option is stereo which is shit.

Choose PCM. In order for it to work perfectly, Make sure your soundbar is connected to TV through eARC. If you don't have eARC on your tv then connect it to ps5 as source.

Last edited:

A.Romero

We can already see that with Tears of the Kingdom, it's gonna be a pretty big departure from Botw.

The only reason other publishers keep just maximizing the busy work in sequels is because they're rewarded for it.

Was there any experimentation? I saw an expertly crafted game with a lot of refined mechanics. What would you say is experimental about it?

Raonak

Banned

Sony already did the massive mixup with the first game, it was completely unlike the old GOW games.
This is the refinement of that in the same way the BOTW sequel will be.

zkorejo

Fucking hell, there’s a lot of moaning in this thread. Do some of you guys even like games?
It doesn't really belong in OT. Should make a new opinion thread about how it's a 2018 game instead of ruining the fun for others.

OT: Parry shield is pretty damn good. I'm pretty good with it apparently.

4 hours in, the exploration opens up and now it feels like the game has actually just started properly.

First side mission was integrated nicely and I got lots of stuff out of it. Loved the puzzle of getting to the top. I keep hearing people say how companions ruin every puzzle. These dudes in my game took their sweet time to help me at one point.

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
It doesn't really belong in OT. Should make a new opinion thread about how it's a 2018 game instead of ruining the fun for others.
But where do we draw the line on what criticism deserves it’s own thread?

No complaints or critiques allowed in the OT?

I honestly think the problem is some people’s sensitivity to other opinions. Especially ones that don’t praise the game they are excited about. There is this whole “don’t rain on my parade” attitude that I find extremely sheltered and weak-minded.

That’s typically why critiques explode into battles that end up petty and personal.

Last edited:

drotahorror

Yeah the elves are about to hand your ass over to you.
Oddly enough I've died way less in elf zone. Maybe I'm getting more used to it or maybe they're just easier to read.

Everytime I'm fighting something wife starts trying to talk to me. I'm like chill I will die in 2 hits let me concentrate.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Cant criticize it pre-release because you haven't played it. Can't criticize it after release when you bought it and are playing through it but "it doesn't belong." That's what happened to me when playing through Elden Ring. Banned from the OT because I thought the combat was severely unbalanced and talked about it repeatedly while playing the new game I just bought in the thread for people playing the game.

Ideally, in my humble opinion - people that want to talk about the game in a public place should expect diversity of opinion. Totally ridiculous trolling is bad, sure. But if someone is just playing a game they bought I like to read all opinions. Its okay to explain why you like it and see which opinion wins out. Have more confidence in your own taste and other people won't influence how you feel about the game, instead you will be influencing them sometimes. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Imtjnotu

This girl and her fucking water buffalo. Holy fuck I'm in a Disney movie now. Make it stop. I could go the rest of the game without hearing anybody speak. Who thought that this much time waddling around on this thing would be enjoyable?
IT'S A YAK YOU UNCULTURED SWINE

Imtjnotu

Fuck these tombstones.

I've done 5 of them and not a single one has been cake lol.

Trying to finish them all while I can but my defense is only at 350 currently

zkorejo

Cant criticize it pre-release because you haven't played it. Can't criticize it after release when you bought it and are playing through it but "it doesn't belong." That's what happened to me when playing through Elden Ring. Banned from the OT because I thought the combat was severely unbalanced and talked about it repeatedly while playing the new game I just bought in the thread for people playing the game.

Ideally, in my humble opinion - people that want to talk about the game in a public place should expect diversity of opinion. Totally ridiculous trolling is bad, sure. But if someone is just playing a game they bought I like to read all opinions. Its okay to explain why you like it and see which opinion wins out. Have more confidence in your own taste and other people won't influence how you feel about the game, instead you will be influencing them sometimes. 🤷‍♂️
Okay then voice your opinion in one post? Two? Here it's pages of two people argument. It would be better to have that conversation in a dedicated opinion thread for more discussion.

Last edited:

zkorejo

But where do we draw the line on what criticism deserves it’s own thread?

No complaints or critiques allowed in the OT?

I honestly think the problem is some people’s sensitivity to other opinions. Especially ones that don’t praise the game they are excited about. There is this whole “don’t rain on my parade” attitude that I find extremely sheltered and weak-minded.

That’s typically why critiques explode into battles that end up petty and personal.
There's more critique here than actual discussion of the game on the second day of release. I played the game and was blown away and I come here to share my experience but then I read 2-3 pages of how it's a same game argument, which imo it clearly isn't the same game. I think it's one thing to critique and another to complain repetitively.

Last edited:

Markio128

Gold Member

OT: Parry shield is pretty damn good. I'm pretty good with it apparently.

4 hours in, the exploration opens up and now it feels like the game has actually just started properly.

First side mission was integrated nicely and I got lots of stuff out of it. Loved the puzzle of getting to the top. I keep hearing people say how companions ruin every puzzle. These dudes in my game took their sweet time to help me at one point.
No doubt we’ll soon get a plethora of threads covering every opinion on why we shouldn’t enjoy this game. Some folk seem to take offence with others having a good time.

I’ve barely done any exploring 10 hours into the game because I’m just enjoying the main ride. I’ll do all the side stuff in a second play-through. I believe some of the side missions are great though, so I’m looking forward to it.

I have to say, there has been one particular section that left me in awe - absolutely wonderful stuff.

zkorejo

So i noticed the companions help with traversal right away in main quest. They weren't helping for like a solid 30 mins in the side mission where I was stuck and kind of counting on them. Atreus did help me when I just stood to clear my head and think.

first like hour and 15 mins was great. Combat improvements are small but cool. Boy is an ugly lil sob. he's got a very cringey big bang theory looking face.
The game is too dark. I had to go into HDR brightness and max it out. Something is def off there. I feel like HDR implementation has gotten worse every year in games.

Had a weird glitch where boy kept sliding into place in this one area for no reason. very odd loooking. And just in general walking slowly the animations look a little jittery and unpolished compared to what i remember from the last game. Like its slighty more janky looking for some reason.

when i was finally able to see after turning the brightness all the way up, the detail on Kratos is incredible.
Just don't turn on Quality mode cuz it doesn't look any prettier and turns the game into a 25 frame per second shit show

Top Bottom