• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ragnarök G|OT|Y

yamaci17

I'm really not feeling it for the game so far in my first 3 hours. Story feels hugely rushed, and stuff happens without much background or build up. I don't like how they tried to "re"invent the same combat MECHANİCS in different ways. Maybe it will become better as I move on. Dunno tho, enemy variety? Most of them look like re-skins. Also
thor fight to me was pretty disappointing. locations were not interesting and combative interactions between kratos and him was not that good. thor's dialogue was superb and he had some real gutpunchers there. I did not like the Odin's design either, and the way he talks, using edgy, current day words such as "my ex", "shit, xxx". I simply never imagined Odin as such, maybe that's why I'm being critical about him

So far, the game has been nothing but overrated for me

ABnormal

Nope. You need the high framerate option to enable 40 fps.

And after that, IF You have VRR enabled in PS5 system settings, it will push it above 40 instead of capping it.

If you disable high framerate in Quality mode, it will be 30 fps.
I didn't try it, so it may be. Initially, the reviews pointed out that there were fixed 40 fps mode and unlocked. But I did'nt see them in the options. Maybe developers changed them with the last update, and now there is only quality and quality unlocked (which stays always above 40s).

I rolled my eyes at them blurring out the background when switching from one arena to the other in a boss fight in Ragnorak. Clearly something that couldve been done on the PS5 and it wouldve been a far better experience seeing environments whizzing by instead of just grey clouds in the background. I remember SSM saying that they wanted Baldur and Kratos to throw each other into mountains with each punch but couldnt due to hardware limitations. Here we see them attempt that but again, whats the point if you are going to simply have it be a cutscene masking the loading of the next arena?

The titan levels simply wouldnt have been possible on the PS2.
16e2a306e1f8ffc7a84d82e838e632162cde51d8_00.gif

I am hoping that we see something similar in this game. If the PS3 can do it, the PS4 can as well. Hopefully thats where the 4.5 year dev time was spent.
Damn the scale in GoW3 is still fucking insane. That's what I really miss about the wide angle camera from the old games. The new close up tight camera is great for intimate drama and relating to characters, but sometimes set pieces require a different perspective. The trade off for feeling much more personal are those jaw dropping camera angles.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
having high number of enemy on screen is not really “innovation” Dynasty Warriors did that back in PS2 days.
It is an example of something you can do when you have more processing power at your finger tips. They were not able to achieve this on PS2.

Dynasty Warriors had a high enemy count, sure, but it had none of the spectacle, enemy variety, or more intricate game design of God of War. It was more taxing for a game like God of War to implement a high enemy count.

And where they focused most of their energy is on the graphics. It was a huge improvement coming from GoW2, in that sense. For a game like God of War, maybe that's enough to amp up the excitement and spectacle IF you go all out with it. At least with the added enemy count and other minor gameplay additions. Here, they did not go all out with the graphics or really innovate in terms of gameplay.

Last edited:

ABnormal

What VRR tv do you have? LG tvs cant display VRR frames below 50 fps correctly.

You can see here that the framerate sits below 45 fps at all times. There is no way the game is running at 69 FPS in the native 4k mode.

69 was a refuse. It's 60 and some. And it's what the tv shows. But mostly is between 45 and 55. Which is plenty fine, as a trade off.

hmmm, guys i need some pep talk here--two hours in and, aside from the presentation, the game is a real step backward from combat, to movement/agency, level design (sliding through 400 cracks). Am i missing something here? does it open up from combat and exploration perspective? Fighting more than 1 enemy is a nightmare control wise as the FOV is fairly atrocious. Please tell me this gets better...

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
did you noticed any reason to play in quality 40 over perf 60 locked?
Yes. There is a noticeable difference in IQ. HFR+VRR adds slight shimmering because then the game runs at 1440p.

Locked 40 fps is the way to go. Looks great and runs very smooth. No jitteryness during camera pans I was seeing in VRR. Do we know if this game has LFC support? I could swear that VRR is supposed to remove those juddery feeling from games, not add them.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
It is an example of something you can do when you have more processing power at your finger tips. They were not able to achieve this on PS2.
Dynasty Warriors did that on PS2.

It seems what you want is not really “innovation” but more prettier graphics.

Last edited:

yamaci17

hmmm, guys i need some pep talk here--two hours in and, aside from the presentation, the game is a real step backward from combat, to movement/agency, level design (sliding through 400 cracks). Am i missing something here? does it open up from combat and exploration perspective? Fighting more than 1 enemy is a nightmare control wise as the FOV is fairly atrocious. Please tell me this gets better...
I also agree, for some reason combat feels more clunky than first. Sometimes camera lock up breaks in a weird way, or camera has some kind of lock on correction delay at times. I really don't like how we can buff our weapons. with triangle, it just feels like it kind of ruins the flow the combat motion. But that's just me. I'd actually prefer if they left combat mostly as is and focused on changing the traversal stuff instead.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Dynasty Warriors did that on PS2.
It's not an equal comparison. Space Invaders had more enemies on screen than both of them. But that's a different game with much different design.

The point is that the God of War formula - all the enemy types, levels - everything it was processing that was more taxing than what Dynasty Warriors was doing - needed the power of PS3 to allow for the enemy count they wanted. They could not get that enemy count in God of War 2.

So God of War 3 was able to take advantage of that extra power. Both with the enemy count, and again with the graphics. And the general scale of the battles as well.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Game opens up and goes back to the Migard lake of nine levels of exploration.

Combat doesnt get any better. It's too busy. They throw a lot of enemies at you and they attack very fast. Maybe turn down difficulty to normal. I am guessing that once you start getting runic attack and unlock more moves it will get better but so far I have unlocked around 8 Axe moves, gotten 1 runic attack, and upgraded by Axe twice, and i still feel underpowered on hard.

Still no where near as bad as HFW though. I am still enjoying the combat despite being a bit too hectic.

scydrex

Yes. There is a noticeable difference in IQ. HFR+VRR adds slight shimmering because then the game runs at 1440p.

Locked 40 fps is the way to go. Looks great and runs very smooth. No jitteryness during camera pans I was seeing in VRR. Do we know if this game has LFC support? I could swear that VRR is supposed to remove those juddery feeling from games, not add them.

I'm switching between 40 and 60fps. Will try 40 locked again tonight.

GymWolf

Gold Member

I tried 40hz option in both horizon and both spidey games, it feels noticeably sluggerish than 60, better than 30 but still not enough.

I'm playing on max difficulty and i need all the fludity i can get, tonight i'm gonna try the 120hz mode again, i only tried it for like 5 seconds and it looked kinda blurry.

So it is better to lock the 40 hz mode than having it unlocked? doesn't vrr solve the problem if it works like gsync on pc?

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I didn't get the mafia vibe at first, but I went back and watched the scene again and I can kind of get it. It wasn't jarring at all though. Probably because it has been made abundantly clear with the portly version of Thor that the creators are taking some liberties in portraying these characters in unexpected ways. I didn't expect Odin to be a smallish figure, but it makes sense as he is being painted as a wily villain just as he was described in the previous game. I like the direction it is going and the voice acting is superb.
I just played through the scene again at a feiends house and as I was expecting it it wasn't as bad at all. We were just sat in silence and the scene was amazing w a thing it. I love thors delivery too.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
It seems what you want is not really “innovation” but more prettier graphics.
No, I didn't give that impression at all. Several times in this thread I stated that prettier graphics is pretty much all the PS5 is bringing to the table here, and that is the disappointment.

It seems you are satisfied with PS5 as long as you get pretty graphics - because that's all the PS5 offers this game. Not me, I want the gameplay design to take advantage of the hardware.

But hell, if you're not going to do that, at least have a jump in graphics, yeah.
You're sort of bending the point though, because GoW3 had a huge leap in graphics as well as a bigger enemy count. You keep separating those two points, it seems to downplay the overall innovation of Gow 3.
They go hand in hand in making for a fresh experience.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

doesn't vrr solve the problem if it works like gsync on pc?
It does or at least its supposed to. Maybe my tv is broken? Pressing the green button on my CX remote shows that VRR is enabled. Im seeing the doubling of frames i typically see when fps is lower than 48 fps. But the judder was really bad until i turned off VRR from the PS5 system settings. Now it's as smooth as butter. Almost feels like 60 fps.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Nope. You need the high framerate option to enable 40 fps.

And after that, IF You have VRR enabled in PS5 system settings, it will push it above 40 instead of capping it.

If you disable high framerate in Quality mode, it will be 30 fps.
Maybe it locks to 40 once you disable vrr in ps5?
The modes are so badly described.

And I co firm. If you disable hfr, it’s locked 30. I would prefer locked 40 from vrr too

Topher

Gold Member
No, I didn't give that impression at all. Several times in this thread I stated that prettier graphics is pretty much all the PS5 is bringing to the table here, and that is the disappointment.

It seems you are satisfied with PS5 as long as you get pretty graphics. Not me, I want the gameplay to take advantage of the hardware.

But hell, if you're not going to do that, at least have a jump in graphics, yeah.

That's all fine, but nothing you are describing has any wow factor behind it and has been done before.

SlimySnake

Maybe it locks to 40 once you disable vrr in ps5?
The modes are so badly described.

And I co firm. If you disable hfr, it’s locked 30. I would prefer locked 40 from vrr too
Yes, thats exactly what I was saying. I always have VRR enabled so it was unlocked 40 fps because i had quality and HFR enabled. Removing Unlock Framerate resulted in a really bad 30 fps experience that I was in no mood to try. Enabling HFR and disabling VRR fixed the stutters.

DF said that only the base PS4 feels good in 30 fps because of some camera shutter speed value in its motion blur implementation. No idea why they cant get a good 30 fps working on the PS5. This feels like DEmon Souls instead of Ratchet or HFW.

Topher

Gold Member
The "wow factor" for God of War 3 was huge at the time. It was a game to show off your PS3. Ragnarok is a game to show of your PS4.

"At the time". Yeah....just like Mario 64. As I said before, if you are expecting big generational jumps of the past then I'm afraid you will be disappointed.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Not me, I want the gameplay design to take advantage of the hardware.
Like what exactly? What gameplay “innovation” you are looking for in GOWR? Large number of enemies on screen? That has nothing to with tech, thats easily possible on PS4 but because how the camera works in modern GOW, thats just not practical.

Destructible environments? Red Faction Guerrilla already did this on PS3, if they want put that they would have already done so, but add nothing to GOW combat.

We even saw what happened to Metal Gear Rising early development, they couldn’t make proper game out of just cutting everything.

Open World? What game doesn’t do open world these days, it’s actually refreshing that GOW doesn’t do typical open world game.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Does anyone know how to get the game to use 5.1 surround on a sound bar? It sees me soundbar as a dual channel Stereo, and tells me to go update it in system settings. I played around with it and apparently selecting Dolby Audio makes the PS5 think your Soundbar is stereo so I had to change that. That fixed my PS5 system audio which is clearly 5.1 surround now, but GOW still shows it as Stereo Dual channel. I do hear some audio coming in from the rear speakers but it doesnt feel like 5.1 surround.

Any ideas?

SafeOrAlone

Banned
"At the time". Yeah....just like Mario 64. As I said before, if you are expecting big generational jumps of the past then I'm afraid you will be disappointed.
No, I'll be disappointed if the games are designed for older hardware. If they are being designed for modern hardware, they are perfectly capable of "wowing" us.

We can argue diminishing returns in terms of hardware power, but we still want new hardware for a reason - gameplay innovation. That's...why we are here...on the PS5. Unless you just want slightly prettier graphics.

But even making the argument for diminishing returns doesn't excuse not even trying or developing for the current hardware.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Like what exactly? What gameplay “innovation” you are looking for in GOWR? Large number of enemies on screen? That has nothing to with tech, thats easily possible on PS4 but because how the camera works in modern GOW, thats just not practical.

Destructible environments? Red Faction Guerrilla already did this on PS3, if they want put that they would have already done so, but add nothing to GOW combat.

We even saw what happened to Metal Gear Rising early development, they couldn’t make proper game out of just cutting everything.

Open World? What game doesn’t do open world these days, it’s actually refreshing that GOW doesn’t do typical open world game.
Like I told Topher earlier, when has asked the same thing... (he seemed to concede at the time, but now he is adding "fire" to your post lol.

I hesitate to point out specifics because I’m not a developer, but I’ll share a few easy thoughts:

We know that there is more processing power in PS5 than 4, which allows for…pretty much more of everything. More enemies at a time, bigger levels that require less loading, more interactive (destructible?) environments.

This is where someone will jump down my throat and say “more enemies doesn’t necessarily mean a better game!!”, but the point is that the potential is there, all across the board, to do more.

That said, I mean, hey, this is God of War, where epic scale is expected, so more enemies at a time sounds fun to me. We saw that advancement between God of War 2 to 3 and it was appreciated. It added to the epic sense of scale.

But okay, enough about enemy count….how about the speed at which the world can be processed? What if instead of crawling under a rock or going through a thirty-second teleportation all the time, we were sprouting wings and flying to our next destination.

Would that make the game better? Not necessarily- you’d have to design around it obviously, or it’d just be god mode when placed in the current version of Ragnarok… But something like that sounds ultimately more satisfying than enduring loading screens every 30 steps, due to limited processing power - that’s what it’s really about - more freedom and less loading.

So those are just a couple of examples. I’m not a developer. What I do know is that we buy new consoles for new gameplay experiences - that’s the point, right?
You don’t get that when you are designing for the old hardware.

But I'll also add that when you point out that more enemies on-screen is not possible due to the camera in God of War, that's also likely due to the power of PS4 - FOV is limited by processing power. But, as I said above, it's not necessarily about me wanting more enemies. It's about having less limitations in game design. That's just an example.

Last edited:

Filldo

Once you start unlocking some more moves for your weapons the combat starts to feel better. I was struggling a bit at first too cause it felt like I basically had light attack, heavy and block. Then you could charge your ax for a special light attack. You'll get more moves and it makes the combat start to flow and combine a lot better. I was beating my head against a wall and realized I hadn't upgraded my ax in a while, unlocked like 5 or 6 moves and all of a sudden combat was flowing much better. I was also struggling to get used to dodge with x. I saw someone here said you could switch. Well... I tried to switch too late and just confused myself more, so back to x for dodge, its starting to feel normalish...

ProtoByte

Weeb Underling
You're sort of bending the point though, because GoW3 had a huge leap in graphics as well as a bigger enemy count. You keep separating those two points, it seems to downplay the overall innovation of Gow 3.
They go hand in hand in making for a fresh experience.
You keep using the term "innovation". It's a complete misnomer.
A leap in graphics and higher enemy counts aren't innovations. That's just enhancement.
Batman Arkham Knight adding the Batmobile was not an innovation. It was a mechanic seen in countless other games. And the way it was implemented, what with its bad tank battles and tank stealth and negative impact on level design, did not help the game. More isn't always better.

I'm not going to sit here pretending that the game wouldn't look better and perhaps - have smoothed out some hardware limited design kinks - perhaps because the new design problem still has to be solved with those limitations gone - if it was next gen only. But it isn't. And the fact is that despite that, it still looks and arguably plays better and smoother than 98+% of the rest of the stuff on the market, cross gen or not. The only titles that rival it come from other first PlayStation Studios, and to this point can be counted on one hand.

Even if it was PS5 only, it wasn't going to be "innovative". Not in the general sense, and not related to GoW 2018. We'd be talking about the game coming out in 2024 for that to be the case.

A.Romero

I got to play for a few hours last night after Amazon actually came through and delivered on release (PS5). I'm a big fan of GoW series including 2018 so I already knew what I was getting into. My main complaint about the previous game was the lack of enemy variety. Other than that I thought it was a great game and I liked the gameplay better than the original trilogy.

I'm disappointed in Sony because of their double speak regarding generations and I wish we had more PS5 exclusives but I don't feel is impacting my enjoyment of gaming in general. The games I have played on PS5 so far (it's been a year since I got one) are: Ghost of Tsushima, both Judgement games, Miles Morales, Dragon's Crown Pro, a bit of Lost Legacy and now this. So basically no exclusive games so far. By the time I got my hands on the console I already knew what Sony was planning to do. We are enthusiasts, we know what the deal is. There are no surprises, really.

That said, it hasn't impacted my enjoyment of any of these games at all. I waited to play some of them because I knew the experience would be best in PS5 (was willing to play on PC as well). I could have just played them cheaper on PS4 and that's it. However I'm fortunate enough to have a VRR TV so the benefits truly come from that and not so much from the games themselves. I could have played Ragnarok on a PS4 and still would be an excellent game.

God of War Ragnarok so far hasn't been a disappointment at all. From what I've seen the enemy variety issue was solved completely and technically the game is amazing. You can play a minor studio game developed exclusively for PS5 and still don't hit the notes God of War hits. This kind of game comes once every 2 or 3 years. I'm here for the excellent narrative, expertly crafted gameplay, amazing voice acting and perfect art direction. This game shines in every single aspect and doesn't feel held back at all. I mean, to feel cheated somehow there has to be a reference point and I can't think of any games that can beat Sony in those aspects regardless of the generation.

Sure, it would have been different if it was PS5 only but it's not and there is no point crying about it. These companies are not artists, they are trying to get as much money as they can. I love the kinds of games they make and I think it's important to vote with my wallet. It's a game that doesn't have an MP component filled with mtx so it doesn't have any additional source of revenue. It makes money by reaching as many players as possible so it would be stupid to limit it to a 25 million install base. If it's not by making it crossgen what kind of justification could it be to invest hundreds of millions of dollars in something like this and not in a F2P cash machine?

So yes, GoW is crossgen and it could have been better if it wasn't but it doesn't mean that is not a great game at all. We need to get real or else the market is just going to be filled of Fortnites and Minecrafts because that's what is proving to be the best investment. There is no way a SP 40 hour game with this level of production is going to be greenlight to be sold on a 25 million install base when it could be sold to an almost 150 million install base. It would be stupid of them and irresponsible for their investors.

By the way, for whomever is looking for gameplay innovation I'd recommend to go indie. Nobody is going to experiment in a AAA game because is too risky. Just use a little bit of critical thinking, gaming is bigger than ever but different products hit different segments. GoW is a like a summer blockbuster. When was the last time you saw true risk in Hollywood's big productions?

Edit: Forgot to say the UI is terrible. This is probably the weakest point of the game for me.

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
You keep using the term "innovation". It's a complete misnomer.
A leap in graphics and higher enemy counts aren't innovations. That's just enhancement.
Batman Arkham Knight adding the Batmobile was not an innovation. It was a mechanic seen in countless other games. And the way it was implemented, what with its bad tank battles and tank stealth and negative impact on level design, did not help the game. More isn't always better.

I'm not going to sit here pretending that the game wouldn't look better and perhaps - have smoothed out some hardware limited design kinks - perhaps because the new design problem still has to be solved with those limitations gone - if it was next gen only. But it isn't. And the fact is that despite that, it still looks and arguably plays better and smoother than 98+% of the rest of the stuff on the market, cross gen or not. The only titles that rival it come from other first PlayStation Studios, and to this point can be counted on one hand.

Even if it was PS5 only, it wasn't going to be "innovative". Not in the general sense, and not related to GoW 2018. We'd be talking about the game coming out in 2024 for that to be the case.
In terms of these specific franchises, they were innovations actually. Just because a completely different style game also had a Batmobile, doesn't mean it's not a gameplay innovation within the gameplay formula of Arkham Knight, for example.

Whatever you want to call it doesn't change the point though - they were able to add the batmobile because they had more processing power. They could get away with letting you blast through the streets without the game freezing up and crapping it's pants.

Regarding the bolded, that really depends on how you plan game development. It's reasonable to start developing games for PS5 ahead of time, when you know it's coming, as opposed to putting a game in motion that will release two years after your new console launches. That's...on them.

Last edited:

Bloobs

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Does anyone know how to get the game to use 5.1 surround on a sound bar? It sees me soundbar as a dual channel Stereo, and tells me to go update it in system settings. I played around with it and apparently selecting Dolby Audio makes the PS5 think your Soundbar is stereo so I had to change that. That fixed my PS5 system audio which is clearly 5.1 surround now, but GOW still shows it as Stereo Dual channel. I do hear some audio coming in from the rear speakers but it doesnt feel like 5.1 surround.

Any ideas?

How does a single soundbar make surround sound?

Topher

Gold Member
Like I told Topher earlier, when has asked the same thing... (he seemed to concede at the time, but now he is adding "fire" to your post lol.

Concede? The only thing I agreed with you about was loading times. Outside of that, I said I didn't see "a strong case being made". I still don't. There is a lot of talk about making games for "modern hardware", but just surface level fluff really. Repeating "modern hardware" over and over isn't an argument. Neither is "more of everything".

Loading is one thing I already had in mind when I asked the question. That's definitely a PS4 holdover. Beyond that I don't see a strong case being made that PS5 is going to blow anyone's minds when PS4 is finally put to bed. And I think it doesn't make much sense to judge this game without having concrete examples of what it would have been and except for load times, I don't think anyone really knows what it is. I appreciate your response though.

Now.....do I want to be wrong? Yes, absolutely I do. Would love to be wrong on this and be totally amazed. But for this game, for the most part, we are getting pretty much what I would expect: better visual quality and better performance and kickass gameplay.

Last edited:

ProtoByte

Weeb Underling
In terms of these specific franchises, they were innovations actually. Just because a completely different style game also had a Batmobile, doesn't mean it's not a gameplay innovation within the gameplay formula of Arkham Knight, for example.
No. Arkham isn't a completely different style of game. It's a third person action adventure title.
Even less appropriate was your statement that increased enemy counts is innovation. Lol

In any case, I'm sure when SSM moves onto their PS5 exclusive IP, they'll be plenty of new complaints in complete contradiction to these ones.

A.Romero

Any ideas?

My Home Theater is a few years old so it doesn't support HDMI 2.1 features so I have PS5 connected to the TV and passing the sound through eARC. The game detects it as TV sound (stereo) but the theater is receiving a 5.1 signal. The audio is indeed playing 5.1.

I'm guessing this could be the same but surround sound is not as noticeable with soundbars in my experience.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Concede? The only thing I agreed with you about was loading times. Outside of that, I said I didn't see "a strong case being made". I still don't. There is a lot of talk about making games for "modern hardware", but just surface level fluff really. Repeating "modern hardware" over and over isn't an argument. Neither is "more of everything".
Of course not, that's a strawman and simplification of all the points I took the trouble to make.

Once you start unlocking some more moves for your weapons the combat starts to feel better. I was struggling a bit at first too cause it felt like I basically had light attack, heavy and block. Then you could charge your ax for a special light attack. You'll get more moves and it makes the combat start to flow and combine a lot better. I was beating my head against a wall and realized I hadn't upgraded my ax in a while, unlocked like 5 or 6 moves and all of a sudden combat was flowing much better. I was also struggling to get used to dodge with x. I saw someone here said you could switch. Well... I tried to switch too late and just confused myself more, so back to x for dodge, its starting to feel normalish...
yeah, i am just bashing light attack, block, and dodge. Really hope it improves here. Thanks for the feedback.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
No. Arkham isn't a completely different style of game. It's a third person action adventure title.
Even less appropriate was your statement that increased enemy counts is innovation. Lol

In any case, I'm sure when SSM moves onto their PS5 exclusive IP, they'll be plenty of new complaints in complete contradiction to these ones.
That's not what I am saying. You are claiming "adding a Batmobile is not an innovation". I am claiming "It is within the formula of the Arkham series".

Maybe I confused the point by mentiong "a completely different style of game."

Not sure what was inappropriate about by statement on increased enemy counts. Those too were an innovation within the God of War formula, when it came to 3. They couldn't do it with GoW2.

The bolded at the bottom just sounds salty. Why would there be complaints that contradict these ones?

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
That's not what I am saying. You are claiming "adding a Batmobile is not an innovation". I am claiming "It is within the formula of the Arkham series".

Not sure what was inappropriate about by statement on increased enemy counts. Those too were an innovation within the God of War formula, when it came to 3. They couldn't do it with GoW2.

The bolded at the bottom just sounds salty. Why would there be complaints that contradict these ones?
How far are you in this game? Don't want to spoil nothing for you

ProtoByte

Weeb Underling
Yes. I understood that point. I'm saying that Arkham's formula is not unique in the first place. So if GTA3 did vehicular transport more than a decade prior, adding it to Arkham isn't innovative.

Was anyone claiming that God of War was "innovative" being that it rebooted the franchise on a gameplay/design level? No.

Enhancement. Not innovation. Look up the definition.

Because that's how it usually works with these things. Because people have a very skewed idea of what's actually feasible.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
How far are you in this game? Don't want to spoil nothing for you
Close to three hours. I have heard the game gets better as you go, which sounds great.
But at the end of the day, we know this was designed for PS4. The developers have stated that. That's my issue. Despite how impressive PS4 may still be, I'd like a PS5 game for my PS5.

The argument from a couple of you seems to be "This game is incredible, who cares about designing it for new hardware, it wouldn't make a difference."

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Of course not, that's a strawman and simplification of all the points I took the trouble to make.

lol....nonsense. Take away the fluff from that post and we are left with:

"more processing power in PS5 than 4, which allows for…pretty much more of everything"
"the point is that the potential is there, all across the board, to do more."
"so more enemies at a time sounds fun to me."

I'll leave the part about growing wings and flying alone since it was just absurd. I didn't simplify anything. It was already simplified.

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Yes. I understood that point. I'm saying that Arkham's formula is not unique in the first place. So if GTA3 did vehicular transport more than a decade prior, adding it to Arkham isn't innovative.

Was anyone claiming that God of War was "innovative" being that it rebooted the franchise on a gameplay/design level? No.

Enhancement. Not innovation. Look up the definition.

Because that's how it usually works with these things. Because people have a very skewed idea of what's actually feasible.
1. Yes, it is innovative within the Arkham formula. We were discussing the expectations for innovations within a specific series, or from one console generation to the next. You are bringing up GTA3 which has nothing to do with God of War 2018 or jumping from one console to the next.

If you want to talk GTA3, then look at how it innovated from GTA2...because of the power available to it. Now that is impressive. Great example, actually.

Again, call it "enhancement" if you want. Doesn't change the point being made.

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
lol....nonsense. Take away the fluff from that post and we are left with:

"more processing power in PS5 than 4, which allows for…pretty much more of everything"
"the point is that the potential is there, all across the board, to do more."
"so more enemies at a time sounds fun to me."

I'll leave the part about growing wings and flying alone since it was just absurd. I didn't simplify anything. It was already simplified.
No, you simplified it. Which is why you are cutting out context to make it sound dumb. Like when I said the current design of Ragnarok leaves no space to "sprout wings" and the point is that it'd be nice to have ways to get around the game that don't involve constant loading. But of course it's easy to simplify that to "he thinks you should be able to fly in this game, lol". The weird part is you agreed with that point earlier...but now it's perfect material to misinterpret.

You're starting to seem bitter about this.

If you want to believe there is no point in designing games for PS5, to be played on PS5, more power to you. That's the actual absurd argument imo.

My argument that more processing power allows for more potential is not absurd at all. It's plainly true. That's why we bought new consoles.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

My Home Theater is a few years old so it doesn't support HDMI 2.1 features so I have PS5 connected to the TV and passing the sound through eARC. The game detects it as TV sound (stereo) but the theater is receiving a 5.1 signal. The audio is indeed playing 5.1.

I'm guessing this could be the same but surround sound is not as noticeable with soundbars in my experience.
I get amazing surround sound (even dolby atmos ceiling audio) using streaming devices on my soundbar. Have been using them since 2016 on my PS4 Pro.

Just got a new one and it seems they changed this stuff on the PS5. They give you the option to select Sound Bar in the Audio settings but it seems you are supposed to select AV Amplifier instead of soundbar then set up the multichannel speakers then set to Linear PCM for games, and Bitstream for movies.

Found this just now.

Navigate to the Sound settings menu and select Audio Output. Select the HDMI Device Type as “AV Amplifier” — this might seem strange when there’s a separate “Sound Bar” option available, but you’ll need the former option for true surround sound.

Making this selection will present you with new options for selecting the number of speakers you have. From there you can use the Adjust Speaker Positions to set the angle of each speaker: you’re more or less making a diagram of your audio hardware setup, so make sure you set each speaker position relative to where they are in the room.

Finally, return to the Audio Output menu and scroll down to Audio Format (Priority). Set this to Dolby or DTS if your PS5 is connected to your TV, or Linear PCM if the console is connected directly to your soundbar. Ta-da: you can now enjoy surround sound in PS5 games.

Enabling surround sound for Blu-ray playback requires one more step, though it does also enable Dolby Atmos — the PS5 doesn’t support this enhanced format for games or streamed video, but it’s available for Blu-rays if you’re connected using HDMI ARC or eARC. Atmos doesn’t work over optical connections.

Start playback of your Blu-ray, then use the Options button on your DualSense controller to open the settings menu. Set the Audio Format option as “Bitstream” and surround sound, including Atmos, should kick in.

A.Romero

I get amazing surround sound (even dolby atmos ceiling audio) using streaming devices on my soundbar. Have been using them since 2016 on my PS4 Pro.

Just got a new one and it seems they changed this stuff on the PS5. They give you the option to select Sound Bar in the Audio settings but it seems you are supposed to select AV Amplifier instead of soundbar then set up the multichannel speakers then set to Linear PCM for games, and Bitstream for movies.

Found this just now.

Not saying you don't get high quality sound but at least in my experience virtual audio doesn't match actual speakers in the right positions.

Every game works just fine, just this particular game shows as if it was connected to a stereo device when it's not at least in my case. So far I'm more prone to think that it's a bug in the way the menu works because in practice the receiver is still detecting a 5.1 signal and audio is coming from all channels as it should.

SlimySnake

Not saying you don't get high quality sound but at least in my experience virtual audio doesn't match actual speakers in the right positions.

Every game works just fine, just this particular game shows as if it was connected to a stereo device when it's not at least in my case. So far I'm more prone to think that it's a bug in the way the menu works because in practice the receiver is still detecting a 5.1 signal and audio is coming from all channels as it should.
Yeah, my soundbar isnt virtual surround. I have the rear speakers. Soundbars come with rear speakers now. The one i bought has atmos speakers that shoot the audio up in the air from both front and the rear speakers. The front one actually rotates upward everytime it detects atmos audio. This is a $1,000 soundbar lol. more expensive than some home theater systems.

cq5dam.web.640.480.png

I am gonna try setting it up as a home theater system on my PS5 and see if it improves the audio quality.

Topher

Gold Member
No, you simplified it. Which is why you are cutting out context to make it sound dumb. Like when I said the current design of Ragnarok leaves no space to "sprout wings" and the point is that it'd be nice to have ways to get around the game that don't involve constant loading.

You're starting to seem bitter about this.

If you want to believe there is no point in designing games for PS5, to be played on PS5, more power to you. That's the actual absurd argument imo.

Actually I said quite clearly that I hope I am wrong and game developers can come up with innovated gameplay for the current hardware. Obviously loading is a last gen issue and I already fully acknowledged that. Not going to agree on your previous post so no point trying.

There is no bitterness. Enjoy the game.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Actually I said quite clearly that I hope I am wrong and game developers can come up with innovated gameplay for the current hardware. Obviously loading is a last gen issue and I already fully acknowledged that. Not going to agree on your previous post so no point trying.

There is no bitterness. Enjoy the game.
So the way you framed my post and my stance was weak. I made a perfectly apt point about how there would in all likelihood be a more seamless world, were this designed for PS5.

You don't have to agree that modern hardware allows you to do more, but you're wrong. It's really basic stuff.

I believe you are simply satisfied with what you got. You are fine with a PS4 game. I sincerely mean it when I say more power to you. But don't pretend a PS5 can't allow for a notably different experience than you get on PS4 - that's hogwash.

Last edited:
Top Bottom