• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ragnarök G|OT|Y

Vick

Gold Member
Tanky shield can block many attacks without making kratos lose balance, small enemies lose balance like they are hitting something too heavy to move, after 3-4 hits you can release a shield stomp that make enemies fly and ready for juggling.

The parry one is shit for normal blocking but it has a large parry window and a strong attack after the parry.

I chose the tanky one because i'm not good enough to base my entire defense on parry, but it is probably the funniest choice to use.

Tanky shield is like having havel shield and parry shield is like having the small rounded counter shield in souls games but with a bit more flavour.
Made my choice already, and after this post I'm sure I'll regret it. But maybe not.
I was ace at parring in the first one but because of the harder attack patterns and aggressivenes, not here at the moment, not with the old shield at least.

One minor critique: I feel like Atreus’ character model isn’t quite as detailed as some other ones.
I was ready to hate him, after wanting to get inside the first game and slap him during that "phase". But I actually like Atreus in this one. I care for the character, which is super surprising.

Graphics became mindblowing by the way in the first realm, and the house before. Phenomenal art style too, and at 60fps and that pristine IQ? Chef kiss.

If the sense of progression and evolution of combat/mechanics is similar to the first one, I can tell this will end up being my favorite game of all time.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Ok! It was very unexpected that

Atreus is a playable character and that he feels pretty decent to control
His character does feel good to control, and a nice contrast. I feel like a little Legolas when using him. His companions rock too, especially that certain someone is a visual treat with colors.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Made my choice already, and after this post I'm sure I'll regret it. But maybe not.
I was ace at parring in the first one but because of the harder attack patterns and aggressivenes, not here at the moment, not with the old shield at least.

I was ready to hate him, after wanting to get inside the first game and slap him during that "phase". But I actually like Atreus in this one. I care for the character, which is super surprising.

Graphics became mindblowing by the way in the first realm, and the house before. Phenomenal art style too, and at 60fps and that pristine IQ? Chef kiss.

If the sense of progression and evolution of combat/mechanics is similar to the first one, I can tell this will end up being my favorite game of all time.
I'm 90% sure that there is gonna be an armour set and a couple of emblems\pendants that enlarge the parry window.

There was something that you could equip in the past game that make parry window larger.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I'm 90% sure that there is gonna be an armour set and a couple of emblems\pendants that enlarge the parry window.

There was something that you could equip in the past game that make parry window larger.
Yeah, they changed the enchantments to go into a device now instead of each armor piece like in 2018. Also, there is an attachment for the parry shield you get that makes the double ring parry so, so good!

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Oh and I forgot to mention, I have the impression the axe does feel more impactful both visually and sound wise after upgrading. Fucking awesome.
I think it's just a matter of difficulty mode\being underlevelled if the axe doens't stunlock small enemies more often, but when it does it feels the same as 2018 to me.

Maybe i'm just not observing enough to notice the small difference.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Yeah i'm strangely digging having different choices for the shield, when they announced this feature i was pretty cold about it.
Now that you described the tower shield for defense, I may have to give it a try as well. I carry both maxed out to this point.

Here is how the new enchantments and attunements work:

The Amulet of Yggdrasil: Enchantments and Attunement Bonuses​

You will no longer slot Enchantments into individual pieces of Equipment. Instead, you must find the Amulet of Yggdrasil to slot Enchantments in God of War Ragnarök.

To increase the number of slots available, you will have to locate the Jewels of Yggdrasil. A few you’ll get by playing the main story, but the rest you’ll find by exploring different areas of the realms.

Many Enchantments have an innate realm attunement. You’ll know which ones these are as they have the realm they are attuned to in their name, for example the enchantment Midgard’s Endurance has a realm attunement to, you guessed it, Midgard. If you slot three or more from the same Realm Set, you will unlock Perks that power up with your stats.

All Realm Enchantments provide stat boosts – even if you don’t equip a complete set.

Realm Enchantments are not necessarily found in the realm in which they are attuned, so be sure to keep an eye out!

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
This dude is such a beast

Just did that. Badass. This is the stuff that was missing from the first one.

Yeah i'm strangely digging having different choices for the shield, when they announced this feature i was pretty cold about it.

I'm getting the hang of the parry shield. Was pretty effective against that last boss in the spoiler.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
Now that you described the tower shield for defense, I may have to give it a try as well. I carry both maxed out to this point.

Here is how the new enchantments and attunements work:

The Amulet of Yggdrasil: Enchantments and Attunement Bonuses​

You will no longer slot Enchantments into individual pieces of Equipment. Instead, you must find the Amulet of Yggdrasil to slot Enchantments in God of War Ragnarök.

To increase the number of slots available, you will have to locate the Jewels of Yggdrasil. A few you’ll get by playing the main story, but the rest you’ll find by exploring different areas of the realms.

Many Enchantments have an innate realm attunement. You’ll know which ones these are as they have the realm they are attuned to in their name, for example the enchantment Midgard’s Endurance has a realm attunement to, you guessed it, Midgard. If you slot three or more from the same Realm Set, you will unlock Perks that power up with your stats.

All Realm Enchantments provide stat boosts – even if you don’t equip a complete set.

Realm Enchantments are not necessarily found in the realm in which they are attuned, so be sure to keep an eye out!
Lol i'm being the usual moron and not upgrading anything until i have an encounter where i die 50 times.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Lol i'm being the usual moron and not upgrading anything until i have an encounter where i die 50 times.
I am usually like that, but you can now buy old resources on the dwarves, so you don't need to worry too much about saving for the next item you want to upgrade to. Resources seem to be plenty too.

So, upgrade yourself!

GymWolf

Gold Member
Just did that. Badass. This is the stuff that was missing from the first one.

I'm getting the hang of the parry shield. Was pretty effective against that last boss in the spoiler.
Not gonna open the spoiler.

Tonight i'm probably gonna buy the parry shield for a try, but the tanky one is pretty fun already.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I am usually like that, but you can now buy old resources on the dwarves, so you don't need to worry too much about saving for the next item you want to upgrade to. Resources seem to be plenty too.

So, upgrade yourself!
I'm not sure if at max difficulty you have less resources so for now i'm being stingy with the upgrades.

Bloobs

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Im in the second world now (fuck all them names) with the elves and Im free to roam the canyons/desert. Still not really feeling it. Combat is getting better but man those sequences where you have to fight a couple of rats are just laughable.

Last edited:

Vick

Gold Member
I think it's just a matter of difficulty mode\being underlevelled if the axe doens't stunlock small enemies more often, but when it does it feels the same as 2018 to me.

Maybe i'm just not observing enough to notice the small difference.
I don't know, maybe the difference I felt is due to changing dynamic range from High to Balanced, but feels more like the first one. Not quite the same, but much more similar nonetheless.

I can confirm I currently suck at parrying by the way, that pack of grims was brutal.

I previously said the jump is like going from GoW to GoWII, but at the moment it feels more like going from Uncharted to Uncharted 2 to be honest.

Is it hard to hit your friends?
giphy.gif

Last edited:

GooseMan69

Oh, I love him as a character in this one. Way better than 2018. I was only talking about his model, on a technical level. I would say Naughty Dog is still in their own league when it comes to detailed character models and facial animations.

Last edited:

thegame983

I'm about 12 hours in I think and I just completed a quite painful overly long section of the game that has left a bad taste in my mouth. You'll know.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Also SlimySnake SlimySnake

You were right, It's Stereo with PCM in Ragnarok for some reason. The game audio changes in settings to surround once you change to either Dolby or DTS.

Ignore my previous post.
Thanks. Yes, that finally changed the game audio setting to Surround, but i am not getting any audio from my rear speakers with Dolby or DTS. Only with Linear PCM but somehow even though the ingame setting shows Stereo, im getting surround sound.

The home screen audio is the same. Doesnt have surround sound in rear speakers when using Dolby or DTS, only on LinearPCM. Kinda lame because now im not sure if GOW menu is just bugged or if im indeed getting full surround sound.

But this was a lot of help. Apparently for watching 4k blurays, i have to go and change LinearPCM to Bitstream to get Dolby Atmos but I will try that today.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
I’m getting my ass handed to me on the second highest difficulty. Still warming up to the combat. Been a while since I played a action melee game last was Sifu

I’m getting my ass handed to me on the second highest difficulty. Still warming up to the combat. Been a while since I played a action melee game last was Sifu
If you could handle sifu you can handle that difficulty. Im on the same and its gotten rough at some parts but Im progressing steadily...and I couldnt beat sifu lol

Topher

Gold Member
Anyone else get one of these? My biggest peeve with sony is they just havnt done any real LE controllers. Mostly just colors.. They finally did !

6522413_sd.jpg

I'd buy that if I could get a matching set of plates for the PS5. That's my biggest pet peeve. These boring ass options....

ps5-console-cover-range-image-block-02-en-06sep22

And no God of War Ragnarok plate? WTF, Sony?

SLB1904

Banned
This game is so good. 27hours in according to my save. Cheff kiss
The exploration is so interesting. Loads of story bits from characters of the first game. Just learned about Sigrun before she decide to become a valkyrie

Just got out of the mines and I think that was my favourite section yet. Love the little rollercoaster boat. RE4 vibes. I’m like at 5%, right?
Lol that's first level bits

Last edited:

Con_Z_ǝdʇ

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Just got out of the mines and I think that was my favourite section yet. Love the little rollercoaster boat. RE4 vibes. I’m like at 5%, right?
The exploration is so interesting. Loads of story bits from characters of the first game. Just learned about Sigrun before she decide to become a valkyrie
Love your impressions. Having great fun so far.

tommib

Gold Member

Lol that's first level bits
Jesus the game is huge then. I spent so much time with the boat and finding all the little rock islands. Everything is quite delicious.

I’m really not the target audience but I love the contained experience it offers. Reminds me of Metroid Prime as well when it locks you in a semi-big area for you to solve. I have everything on auto: jumping, pickups, everything. And it helps with the pace a lot.

SLB1904

Banned
Jesus the game is huge then. I spent so much time with the boat and finding all the little rock islands. Everything is quite delicious.

I’m really not the target audience but I love the contained experience it offers. Reminds me of Metroid Prime as well when it locks you in a semi-big area for you to solve. I have everything on auto: jumping, pickups, everything. And it helps with the pace a lot.
Yeah it's huge.
It's weird because when you get in a new realm. It looks really small with not much to do. Than things start to escalate lol

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Finished it, not 100% as I'm finishing up some of the remaining favours and the after main story stuff...

honestly the ending sequence just sucked, they pulled out the "revenge bad, break the cycle" That the Last of Us 2 pulled, except it actually had some writing to support it this time before they pulled it. At least Sindri showed up at the last second to fucking save the writers credibility and do what needed to be done unlike Spiel Drunkman. However everything in that ending sequence just sucked outside of the spectacle, people just seemed to do 180's on their minor characters... like how many mothers are going to let go of people killing their sons in this game? I know they where assholes, but still.
I think it got a little bit better after Atreus fucks off with his new girl friend and Kratos has a cry after seeing a statue of himself being worshiped.

Its by no means the worst ending in a videogame, but it just feels so generic compared to what we got in the 2016, I didn't really feel anything on an enotional level, thats a step back in my book. Looking forward to hopefully an actual PS5 game next time in the sequel, without so many cracks in the wall /bridge to shuffle/sail under to hide the load times, solid 8/10 like the first game with a worse ending.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Need to get the game to open up. It's not grabbing me like I thought it would. Only a few hours in. Will get my teeth into it over the weekend. Not blown away right now.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Where is the option to remove enemy indicator directional arrows from the screen?

I just want to rely on my allies to tell me where enemies are.

Top Bottom