• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ragnarök G|OT|Y

GhostOfTsu

Banned
Games good....but another case of a sequel with messed up design imo as they didn't know what to do to make it bigger and better than 2018 so they did strange things like throw crazy loot systems at it etc. I guess 2018 was pushing the ps4 to the limit so they didn't really have anything else they could do but add systems and instead of combat systems and AI etc they just added loot to buff stuff.

Really enjoying the game but it's not as good as 2018 for me so far, it feels like everything is done by the book and a check list type thing..."how do we have an opening nearly like the stranger fight... etc."

Interested to see where this goes but so far it's another case of the media being so parched for any big gaming entertainment phenomenon that they can get behind that they just shower it with love and attention....its not like anyone would want to upset the market leader too much I guess.

I dunno I'm in a strange place with my opinion on the influencer reviewer that we have now...no one dares rock the boat or its career suicide.

To be clear I think the games great...like I am really enjoying it ...I'm just fed up with games getting constant gushing over them when there is clearly flaw's and corners cut that can be seen by anyone who's played games for maybe more than a couple of years.

Getting back to it and at least my Mrs can really enjoy it with me because of the absolutely amazing cut scenes and acting.
Need to get the game to open up. It's not grabbing me like I thought it would. Only a few hours in. Will get my teeth into it over the weekend. Not blown away right now.
I knew you were going to write that kind of post as soon as I saw you got the game. I was going to say something but I kept quiet and here you go. 100% predictable and your little jabs against Sony too 🤣

GhostOfTsu

Banned
Anyone else get one of these? My biggest peeve with sony is they just havnt done any real LE controllers. Mostly just colors.. They finally did !

6522413_sd.jpg
I got it and it makes playing the game even better 😍

It looks so gorgeous I was able to buy another one before it went out of stock (again).

Did they make those GIFs besides this one?

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Is there a way to quick quick turn or am I just stupid?

Having to quickly pan the camera all the way around to see enemies behind me is killing me during combat more than I like.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
In Gameplay menu, Go to HUD Customization. Change to Custom. Go down to Enemy Off-Screen Indicators and select Off.

qjYyshu.jpg
Quite helpful, thanks.

Man, the amount or customization and options is just great.

Give a mouse a cookie… now I wish I could mess with the checkpoint system. I don’t want perma-death but i like to feel like I’m actually losing something upon death. Keeps my head in the game.

Im in the second world now (fuck all them names) with the elves and Im free to roam the canyons/desert. Still not really feeling it. Combat is getting better but man those sequences where you have to fight a couple of rats are just laughable.
I agree. Pretty disappointed I'm not getting the same enjoyment out of it others seem to. Oh well

Vick

Gold Member
Jesus christ it doesn't stop it keeps getting better how the hell did they pull this off.
Five years in the making, trying to best a game winner of multiple Best Game of all Time pools.

ign-goat-bracket.large.jpg

They probably felt an awful lot of pressure.

If the weapon switching feels off to anyone go it in the options and change the weapon sheathing option and combo your ass off
I'll probably give this a try.

Every time I play this game it introduces something new that keeps it feeling fresh. I constantly find myself thinking “oh wow, they actually went there”. Hard to explain without spoiling it. But god damn, game is fucking wild.
They really went balls out. Can’t get over it lol
Okay, I think it's fair to say this will really end up being my all time favorite.

ikbalCO

The amount of family dramas in this game is just... damn.

First game had just one, between atreus and kratos and maybe with freya and baldur, a little and at the very end.

But in this one;

Brothers sisters fathers and mothers and sons... it really just doesnt end.

Other than that, 16 hours in and its so fun that time flies.

ikbalCO

Can someone advise me if two venheim quests are worth doing? The ones you can take after you are done with the main quest there.

Also. What were they thinking with you allies spoiling puzzles as soon as you take 5 seconds to look at it?! And every ledge and interaction is painted. They should borrow uncharted world designer. In that game it feels like you have free reigns. Here you follow markers.
But exploration is still very addictive
I say all side quests are worth it in the game since they are not only fun and engaging they also offer some of the best envoirments in the game.

Hugare

Where is the option to remove enemy indicator directional arrows from the screen?

I just want to rely on my allies to tell me where enemies are.
I dont recomend this

During some sections of the game you may not have an ally to help you (i'm in one right now). So you'll have to pay attention to the enemies sounds, and its not very realiable.

I'm enjoying the game a lot, thinking about it when I'm not playing it, but I have to take breaks. And with games that I love, this usually doesnt happen. So I think this is a sign that the pacing is kinda not excellent, imo.

With the exception of everything regarding combat (enemy variety, moveset, new bosses) as a whole, I think the first game is still the best (so far)

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Why are you playing symphony of the night while ragnarök is this popular bo?
Nah. I did all veinheim stuff and it sucks balls.
This area is very annoying, too busy visually and the sigil puzzles are the worst and follow you after that. It just adds another step to everything and ruins the elegance of it all.
The main side quest in venheim was semi interesting but others were crap.

But side quests in Alfhiem and svandnjxjd? Fantastic. Loved both these open areas and quests.

Edit. And yeah. The overload of mechanics, levels, skills, moves, status effects…. Oh man why. Fuck this trend. It’s too much stuff. Simple is good. Why make it so busy. In combat I get overwhelmed by decisions and mixing moves. I am doing good but chaos a lot

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Nope, we still haven’t convinced you to look beyond graphics of classic games. 😆

I remember not having this much fun back in the 1990's all the way until MGS happened then gaming started to be more than just gaming. The amount of fun I have on each newer gen is always massively bigger than the previous one. Most PS4 games are unplayable/unbearable at this point, let alone ancient 8-bit gaming.

Last edited:

tommib

Gold Member
I remember not having as this fun back in the 1990's all the way until MGS happened then gaming started to be more than just gaming. The amount of fun I have on each newer gen is always massively bigger than the previous one. Most PS4 games are unplayable/unbearable at this point, let alone ancient 8-bit gaming.
The things you say hurt me, baby.

Sad Pauly D GIF by A Double Shot At Love With DJ Pauly D and Vinny

But I love the fact that you love new games and everything that’s been recently released. As opposed to half of the chronically depressed GAF. Now, back to Alfheim!

GhostOfTsu

Banned
I love how he builds up his posts through threads to say what we all know he’s going to say. It’s incredibly funny.
Yeah, there's a pattern in every Sony-related thread. I rolled my eyes when he got the game.

Never trust a green rat, no matter how neutral they pretend to be 🙄
The time is almost upon us.

Less than a week my fellow green rats!

I can feel it!

Feel it in my plums!

Let's fucking gooooooo!

Green rat celebration time!

Hey, I'm a green rat. We aren't bad all the time.

I'm a green rat.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
The things you say hurt me, baby.

Sad Pauly D GIF by A Double Shot At Love With DJ Pauly D and Vinny

But I love the fact that you love new games and everything that’s been recently released. As opposed to half of the chronically depressed GAF. Now, back to Alfheim!

I loved the games in the past but they were extremely shallow in comparison. Despite MGS1 was my best game back then I struggled through the shit camera, cringe, and lots of Japanese nonsense humor. I think it was the very first game to make me cry when Myrl died and it kept burning for more than a decade, especially on MGS4 when you revisit all the old spots.

Now trying to play that game now is considered is severe torture. Even The Witcher 3 is unbearable now when it was my best game until GOW2018 happened. Some games age well, but the extreme minority.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Made my choice already, and after this post I'm sure I'll regret it. But maybe not.
I was ace at parring in the first one but because of the harder attack patterns and aggressivenes, not here at the moment, not with the old shield at least.

I was ready to hate him, after wanting to get inside the first game and slap him during that "phase". But I actually like Atreus in this one. I care for the character, which is super surprising.

Graphics became mindblowing by the way in the first realm, and the house before. Phenomenal art style too, and at 60fps and that pristine IQ? Chef kiss.

If the sense of progression and evolution of combat/mechanics is similar to the first one, I can tell this will end up being my favorite game of all time.
I’ve played for 15 hours with parry shield and last 6 with big shield.
Big shield is an easy mode. But parry one is way more intuitive and fun for souls parry player and sekiro

kyliethicc

I’ve played for 15 hours with parry shield and last 6 with big shield.
Big shield is an easy mode. But parry one is way more intuitive and fun for souls parry player and sekiro
I like the parry shield. I like to be an offensive beast when I play this game, so to just smack them around and give myself openings with the parry is so satisfying.

parry shield is bae

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I’ve encountered some bugs.
Kratos holding nothing or blades instead of axe in character screen.
Fps dropping from 40 to 30 or less until I restarted. Got that one twice

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I’ve encountered some bugs.
Kratos holding nothing or blades instead of axe in character screen.
Fps dropping from 40 to 30 or less until I restarted. Got that one twice
And if you exit the armor upgrade screen at the dwarve’s vendors while in a different upgraded color that you are not upgraded to, it will have that color during gameplay until the next load. Not a huge deal and easily fixable via viewing a different armor piece back and forth or going back to the color you have before exit.

Last edited:
Not reading here to avoid all spoiler, but I just wanted to say as of tonight im 20 hours in and loving it.

Combat seems to offer way more moves and options and Equipment wise there seems to be quite the variant to different fighting styles.

Thats great and all but what I'm actually loving more is story, leveldesign and dialogues. I really love what they've done so far.

Right now it would be pretty hard for me to choose between Elden Ring ( I had beaten melania on my first playthrough without any guides and metabuilds and nearly every other optional boss) and GoW Ragnarök as GotY. Both are fucking awesome games.

Had a few hickups though.
Game crashed once and I had to restart the game once due to an npc bug which didn't react for a mainquest. After restarting the game and reloading my save it worked though.

Apart from that I only had occaisonal issues with some weirdly formatted subtitles.

Now I need to get some sleep and tomorrow the journey will continue.

MastAndo

A few days late to the party, but I'm about to pick this one up - just wondering if the Digital Deluxe version is worth it for the gear/cosmetics, or am I just going to find something a few hours in that is just as good?

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Not a fan of Kratos loud breathing and moaning everytime he exerts himself....sounds like a fat man getting off the chair after a 3 hr buffet visit. Hopefully a future patch will allow us to tone that down or turn it off. Its quite distracting when youre using headphones

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Somehow stars aligned in a ton of ways this week.

Got the $ to afford a PS5.

The digital Ragnarok bundle wasn’t sold out on the day of release for the game and I got it.

The PS5 came to me yesterday.(within a day and a half from ordering)

The game is phenomenal so far. I’m doing the wetlands and if anyone deserves a raise it’s the sound department. The music here is so good.

15 hours in and this game might end up being one of my favorite games of all time already. I loved 2018, but GOWR so far has been a transcendent experience for me.

That feeling of you playing a game like this without knowing much about it or getting spoiled is priceless. The game is just close to perfection so far, story, characters, gameplay, va, pacing, etc.

Last edited:

zkorejo

Thanks. Yes, that finally changed the game audio setting to Surround, but i am not getting any audio from my rear speakers with Dolby or DTS. Only with Linear PCM but somehow even though the ingame setting shows Stereo, im getting surround sound.

The home screen audio is the same. Doesnt have surround sound in rear speakers when using Dolby or DTS, only on LinearPCM. Kinda lame because now im not sure if GOW menu is just bugged or if im indeed getting full surround sound.

But this was a lot of help. Apparently for watching 4k blurays, i have to go and change LinearPCM to Bitstream to get Dolby Atmos but I will try that today.
It feels like the game uses all speakers when in PCM even if it says stereo, it also uses subwoofer even when it says stereo.

The sound for is actually surround but a bit toned down and a bit less punchy in bass with DTS, working best with Dolby for me here.

Just use whatever settings you feel are best for your setup and you.

After changing to surround I noticed a huge difference in the sound being actually surround ala 3D audio headphones, like if I run ahead and leave Atreus behind, his voice is also toned down because he's far behind from me now. Or when I'm at the edge looking at a waterfall I hear loud waterfall sound, when I move away it goes away as I get away. I really like that. Also when I move camera from right to left the sound travels like that too. It's pretty good for a 3.1.2.

Last edited:

GhostOfTsu

Banned
Be careful if you choose "immersive" HUD. It turns off all gameplay notifications like when you pick up ressources and the area name when you reach a new location (letters + music) 🤯

I chose custom and turn on

Last edited:
Top Bottom