• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ragnarök G|OT|Y

Madflavor

Gold Member
Closing in on 30 hours into the game. Unless Act 3 blows my socks off, I’m gonna say GoW’s story was a lot better than Ragnarok’s, and it’s not even close. That isn’t to say Ragnarok has a bad one, but I’ve yet to see a scene that matches the emotional highlights from the last one.

Vick

Gold Member
Okay, close to nine hours, all side activities and loot possible done, ready to meet Durlin. I am definitely enjoying the game a lot, but have my personal gripes so far.

SlimySnake SlimySnake said the enemies come in waves like in Drake's Fortune and he wishes that wasn't the case. I can hardy disagree with an opinion as fucking much as I do with this. If anything enemies are not enough, there's not enough fighting during exploration in this realm, at least not as much as I would like. I need my God of War to feel super arcadey and gamey like 2018 did, and that's not exactly the case here at the moment. It's at best two waves, max three, and I wish it was way more. At times not even a second wave.
I'm playing at GMGOW and there's almost no adrenaline, cannot even imagine how the game would feel at lower difficulties.

And I miss my fucking shield and parry, but dwarves are fixing it so I hope I would get it back at some point.

Kratos is not the same exact character anymore. It's subtle but definitely felt to me. A bit too soft and sentimental I feel, especially right after the absolutely perfect 2018 one.

There was NOT a good explanation for losing upgrades and equipment. In GoW games you start with all you acquired in the previous ones, to then lose most of it for a good, well explained, right in your face reason.
That's not the case at all here.

Throwing the Leviathan Axe and call it back on the DualSense haptics feels like

giphy.gif

The Dualsense implementation is sublime.
I still think it felt better in the previous game. Unless this really change with upgrades.

Last edited:

ikbalCO

I don't know if this has been said before but thor design in this game is the best in a visual medium.

He is a tank and strong like a bull. It makes so much sense for thor to be that big bellied, low voice ginger giant that all the other thor depictions look weak in comparison. Well done santa monica.

Also everything with odin is awsome. I am fully invested now.

Yeah I dunno, I thought it had some really cool high fantasy elements going on. I liked most of it, the only parts I didn't like were the...riding parts. I thought it was really neat and a nice break from the normal 'run around hub world and explore stuff'.
I enjoyed the the riding part because really love how beautiful the environment is. And unlike a lots of people in this thread, i like how Atreus and Angrboda interact with each other.

But I do think it's too long. If they cut the cave part or some of the riding it'll be much better since it's kind of pointless.

ABnormal

Okay, close to nine hours, all side activities and loot possible done, ready to meet Durlin. I am definitely enjoying the game a lot, but have my personal gripes so far.

SlimySnake SlimySnake said the enemies come in waves like in Drake's Fortune and he wishes that wasn't the case. I can hardy disagree with an opinion as fucking much as I do with this. Enemies are not enough, there's not enough fighting during exploration, at least not as much as I would like. I need my God of War to feel arcadey and gamey like 2018 did, and that's not the case here at the moment, not in the first realm. It's at best two waves, max three, and I wish it was way more. At times not even a second wave.
I'm playing at GMGOW and there's no adrenaline whatsoever, cannot even imagine how the game would feel at lower difficulties.

And I miss my fucking shield and parry, but dwarves are fixing it so I hope I would get it back at some point.

Kratos is not the same exact character anymore. It's subtle but definitely felt to me. A bit too soft and sentimental I feel, especially right after the absolutely perfect 2018 one.

There was NOT a good explanation for losing upgrades and equipment. In GoW games you start with all you acquired in the previous ones, to then lose most of it for a good, well explained, right in your face reason.

I still think it felt better in the previous game. Unless this really change with upgrades.
I too would like more combat. Up to the point I am, the adventure aspect is more prevalent than in the previous one. That's a matter of preferences, of course.

Obviously Kratos is not the same exact character. The whole point of this reboot is his growth as a "human being". In the three years after the previous chapter, he learned to trust and respect selected persons, and to rely on them. He listen to Mimir, and never calls him "head" anymore (or "boy" Atreus). And since he has a real bond with his son, he is simply learning to express more what he feels. In the first one he was struggling to do it, but it was clear that he wanted to. Making him to be still unable to do so would make him mentally weak.
The whole point of this new saga is the evolution of the story and characters, so a monotone character who doesn't evolve would be simply stupid. And there's no doubt that he is absolutely Kratos: it's not that he started behaving in some incoherent manner.
The loss of most of his power has been explained and is a consequence of Fimbulwinter. The fact that that's also needed to have the chance to develop during the game is also obvious. Luckily the development is quite new and with several new possiblities and variables.

Vick

Gold Member
Obviously Kratos is not the same exact character. The whole point of this reboot is his growth as a "human being". In the three years after the previous chapter, he learned to trust and respect selected persons, and to rely on them. He listen to Mimir, and never calls him "head" anymore (or "boy" Atreus). And since he has a real bond with his son, he is simply learning to express more what he feels. In the first one he was struggling to do it, but it was clear that he wanted to. Making him to be still unable to do so would make him mentally weak.
The whole point of this new saga is the evolution of the story and characters, so a monotone character who doesn't evolve would be simply stupid. And there's no doubt that he is absolutely Kratos: it's not that he started behaving in some incoherent manner.
I totally get it, just a matter of preference as I fucking loved the "Boi" and "Head" Kratos.
He already "evolved" at the end of the first game, but still feel was slighty better executed there. His attitude towards that chained "character" felt off.

The loss of most of his power has been explained and is a consequence of Fimbulwinter. The fact that that's also needed to have the chance to develop during the game is also obvious. Luckily the development is quite new and with several new possiblities and variables.
Nah, sorry. The "need to develop during the game" was much better executed in the past. Sindri asked what happened to the previous armors and only got a "I used them" in response. It's a Kratos kind of answer, but doesn't make any sense given their situation.

Also, why the fuck can't I superpunch enemies again? That shield attack is super lame and weak in comparison. Hopefully it's a matter of upgrades because I miss it so much at the moment.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Does anyone is experiencing the same issues I have when selecting the audio output device? I have a 5.1 soundbar system with satellites and always worked as home theater with every single game on my PS5, which is also set on the system software as AV 5.1

Now for some reason GOWR is the only game where I can't select anything else in the ingame options then STEREO sound... it's pissing me off sigh

Topher

Gold Member
Yeah but that is it's own set of problems for me. For just the combat itself it's been the same since the start of the game for Kratos almost. A new God of War game to me is new weapons new abilities and that. Just think of all the weapons, magic, items and relics you had in God of War 3.

For God of War 2018 I let it slide for only having 2 weapons and spartan rage being your main set for combat but in the sequel to that there's still nothing new. Light & Heavy runes can barely get a mention because they're on a cooldown and are barely used in a fight. There should have been a new weapon out the gate with this game.

Nah, I disagree. This has never been a loot heavy game. The game play is awesome as it is and I don't think a couple more weapons would really make an impact.

Ill place money I did more in 2018 and every god of war ever released than you. Show me your trophy lists and Ill show you mine plus even my Kratos action figure. lol

You lot are insecure over any negative comment, its funny.

You lot? Plenty of people are expressing negative opinions on this game (take note account suicide threads). One guy is giving you shit for your negativity and I wish he had just ignored it because it sounds like you had a rant ready to go just in case.

Last edited:

zkorejo

Does anyone is experiencing the same issues I have when selecting the audio output device? I have a 5.1 soundbar system with satellites and always worked as home theater with every single game on my PS5, which is also set on the system software as AV 5.1

Now for some reason GOWR is the only game where I can't select anything else in the ingame options then STEREO sound... it's pissing me off sigh
Yes it's a problem with Ragnarok. Change from PCM to Dolby or DTS for surround.

GymWolf

Gold Member

SlimySnake SlimySnake said the enemies come in waves like in Drake's Fortune and he wishes that wasn't the case. I can hardy disagree with an opinion as fucking much as I do with this. If anything enemies are not enough, there's not enough fighting during exploration in this realm, at least not as much as I would like. I need my God of War to feel super arcadey and gamey like 2018 did, and that's not exactly the case here at the moment. It's at best two waves, max three, and I wish it was way more. At times not even a second wave.
I'm playing at GMGOW and there's almost no adrenaline, cannot even imagine how the game would feel at lower difficulties.

Fuck you are even slower than me, and i'm slow enough to make girls sleep during sex :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Mimir says something about losing all their useful magic because of filburwinter but he may have spoke about something else.

Same opinion on the combat, not enough but not as negative as you say, it kinda depend on how you pace yourself, also if it is like the first game, there are gonna be a couple of realm only dedicated to combat like the fog\lava realms.
Kratos growing was only natural, it would be bad if he was the same exact character, it is similar enough to me, it's not like he is a pussy now.

Last edited:
GOWR is a good game but somehow I'm not enjoying as much as I think will enjoy.
Without the impact of the "freshness of the GOW Evolutions", it feels like a cut part of GOW2018.
It's an OK game, nothing to complain really, but also nothing memorable. Feels more like an Apple product - when you using it the experience is great, just a well design product.
Something in Kratos is off, I can't put my finger what. And it's not like the character is grow up and changed or something, no - it's like Kratos is not Kratos in a way.

ABnormal

Nah, sorry. The "need to develop during the game" was much better executed in the past. Sindri asked what happened to the previous armors and only got a "I used them" in response. It's a Kratos kind of answer, but doesn't make any sense given their situation.
I meant the need from a game perspective. You need to have rpg elements to be developed, aso, unless you start from max to go towards trascendental, there has to be a downgrade, possibly in the context of the story, like in GoW2 on ps2.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
GOWR is a good game but somehow I'm not enjoying as much as I think will enjoy.
Without the impact of the "freshness of the GOW Evolutions", it feels like a cut part of GOW2018.
It's an OK game, nothing to complain really, but also nothing memorable. Feels more like an Apple product - when you using it the experience is great, just a well design product.
Something in Kratos is off, I can't put my finger what. And it's not like the character is grow up and changed or something, no - it's like Kratos is not Kratos in a way.
Kratos might as well be a mute protagonist in this game.

If this game wins a single sound award, burn the whole industry down. I have not heard more unbalanced, fucked with sound in my life.

The first game was alright, which leaves me to believe Sony has gone and messed up their whole gen with another gimmic. From the heights of playing a CD on an original PS1 with its rare earth component magic, to this mangled garbage.

They have forced the dialogue to be boosted i the center channel as you pan, then made an option to make all the dialogue come through the center channel...in case you want it more fucked?

There is zero sound when the chains hit enemies, but 120 decibles of "uggggh ra ugggh raaa" out of Kratos...because his grunts follow whatever shit idea they had for balancing dialogue.

The game is fucking weak, Sony's shit audio gimmicks screwee up this gen. Leave sound alone, pay the license fees Sony.

Madflavor

Gold Member
Hopping on to say that as much as I'm enjoying the game, the combat is jank as fuck. I don't remember if 2018 was like this, but I'm playing on Give Me No Mercy, and I never feel like I'm getting better. Other difficult games I feel like I get better, like Elden Ring or any other action heavy game. But not with this, and I finally figured out why. There are little things about the combat that makes things difficult to master and get used to. And it's little things. Little things that sometimes work, and sometimes they don't.

• The enemies are inconsistent with how they get stunlocked by certain attacks. I'm not talking about stunlocking a small enemy and then getting upset it doesn't do that to a boss. I'm talking about the exact same attacks stunlocking the exact same enemies, but then you do it again and it doesn't work, leading you to getting hit and losing half your health.
  • Certain attacks lock you into attack animations. In a game and difficulty mode where a single mistake can cost you a lot of health, it's risky to do certain attacks. But again, the combat is inconsistent with when enemies get staggered by these attacks. I've had times fighting enemies (like the Beserkers) where I've seen certain attacks stagger them, but then sometimes when I do it the enemy doesn't stagger and they continue to attack even after getting hit, but because I'm locked into the attack animation I'll take damage. And again to be clear, there's no confusion on when's the right time to do these attacks. Obviously trying to stagger an enemy when they're winding up for a big attack, isn't going to work the same as when the enemy is attacking normally. But I'm referring to times when the enemy is attacking normally and my big attacks aren't staggering or stunning them. They just eat right through and kill Kratos.
  • One thing that just happened that sent me over the edge is Skadi's Edge is supposed to slow down time. I'm fighting a Beserker that throws projectiles. Skadi's Edge is supposed to slow down time. I used Skadi's Edge right as the Beserker was getting ready to throw lighting. Time slowed down, and so did the Beserker, but the actually projectile moved normally and killed Kratos.
These are just some examples off the top of my head. Again I like the game, but I find it very difficult and frustrating to master because the combat design isn't perfect. I've never had this issue before with other games on high difficulties. Ghost of Tsushima, Horizon, Elden Ring, Bayonetta, DMC5, you name it. But this game's combat can fucking suck my balls. Maybe some people don't notice this shit, but when you're playing on a difficulty mode where a single hit from any enemy takes off 30-50% of your health, believe me you notice.

A typical boss fight that I'm struggling against goes like this:

1. Open the fight with a pattern of Runic Attacks that stunlock the boss to deliver big damage.
2. Fight the boss, try to learn his patterns. Inevitable take 2-3 hits and get killed.
3. "Okay time to try again."
4. Open the fight with the same pattern of Runic Attacks.
5. Boss breaks out of the stunlock for some reason and hits me for half my health.
6. Use Spartan Rage to heal up. Kratos just keeps doing the jumping punch attack instead of a flurry of blows for efficiency.
7. Get hit again, die.
8. "Okay, again."
9. Open the fight with a pattern of Runic attacks that stunlock the boss to deliver big damage.
10. Doing well. Boss at 25%. Runic Attacks cooldown complete.
11. Use Runic Attacks, boss doesn't stagger and punches me. Kratos dies.

Last edited:

BbMajor7th

Well.. you are getting pummeled at Give me Grace, saying you're forced to use spartan rage to progress. No offence but you're not exactly the person of which opinions would align with mine on the game.
Don't be fooled by sales-ensuring accessibility crap, target audience is this:
That's a very long-winded way of saying 'git gud, bro'. It's just a video game, one I have a played quite a bit of and these are my thoughts and opinions. You don't have to agree with them, but being that quite a lot of people have said similar things, it's hardly the red-hot take of the century. When you've put a bit more time in, why not come back and explain if and how you feel differently? We might each learn something.

Vick

Gold Member
Were they trying to blow my mind and make me feel overwhelmed as fuck with that

Mine ride?

Because they succeeded.

Hurts my brain thinking about the amount of work put into this game. It really is special.

I meant the need from a game perspective. You need to have rpg elements to be developed, aso, unless you start from max to go towards trascendental, there has to be a downgrade, possibly in the context of the story, like in GoW2 on ps2.
Yeah, but they could have come up with something like a thousand of better explanations.
Like:

Kratos actually has all of his equipment stored in the house, just in case, but during the Thor fight Odin destroys most of it when he's with Atreus. Or even better, steals it all so you can regain an awful lot of armors and whatnot at the end of the game

Hopping on to say that as much as I'm enjoying the game, the combat is jank as fuck. I don't remember if 2018 was like this, but I'm playing on Give Me No Mercy, and I never feel like I'm getting better. Other difficult games I feel like I get better, like Elden Ring or any other action heavy game. But not with this, and I finally figured out why. There are little things about the combat that makes things difficult to master and get used to. And it's little things. Little things that sometimes work, and sometimes they don't.

• The enemies are inconsistent with how they get stunlocked by certain attacks. I'm not talking about stunlocking a small enemy and then getting upset it doesn't do that to a boss. I'm talking about the exact same attacks stunlocking the exact same enemies, but then you do it again and it doesn't work, leading you to getting hit and losing half your health.
  • Certain attacks lock you into attack animations. In a game and difficulty mode where a single mistake can cost you a lot of health, it's risky to do certain attacks. But again, the combat is inconsistent with when enemies get staggered by these attacks. I've had times fighting enemies (like the Beserkers) where I've seen certain attacks stagger them, but then sometimes when I do it the enemy doesn't stagger and they continue to attack even after getting hit, but because I'm locked into the attack animation I'll take damage. And again to be clear, there's no confusion on when's the right time to do these attacks. Obviously trying to stagger an enemy when they're winding up for a big attack, isn't going to work the same as when the enemy is attacking normally. But I'm referring to times when the enemy is attacking normally and my big attacks aren't staggering or stunning them. They just eat right through and kill Kratos.
  • One thing that just happened that sent me over the edge is Skadi's Edge is supposed to slow down time. I'm fighting a Beserker that throws projectiles. Skadi's Edge is supposed to slow down time. I used Skadi's Edge right as the Beserker was getting ready to throw lighting. Time slowed down, and so did the Beserker, but the actually projectile moved normally and killed Kratos.
These are just some examples off the top of my head. Again I like the game, but I find it very difficult and frustrating to master because the combat design isn't perfect. I've never had this issue before with other games on high difficulties. Ghost of Tsushima, Horizon, Elden Ring, Bayonetta, DMC5, you name it. But this game's combat can fucking suck my balls. Maybe some people don't notice this shit, but when you're playing on a difficulty mode where a single hit from any enemy takes off 30-50% of your health, believe me you notice.

1. Open the fight with a pattern of Runic Attacks that stunlock the boss to deliver big damage.
2. Fight the boss, try to learn his patterns. Inevitable take 2-3 hits and get killed.
5. Boss breaks out of the stunlock for some reason and hits me for half my health.
6. Use Spartan Rage to heal up. Kratos just keeps doing the jumping punch attack instead of a flurry of blows for efficiency.
7. Get hit again, die.
8. "Okay, again."
9. Open the fight with a pattern of Runic attacks that stunlock the boss to deliver big damage.
I might be early on, but can't say I agree with this at all so far at GMGOW. Can't really imagine they fucked these kind of things after the first one, combat has to be frame-perfect. I guess it's a matter of things/stats you have yet to fully understand.

yamaci17

i've also noticed some enemies do continue their repetition attack pattern even if you parry them
gow 2018 when you parry enemies were halt in their tracks.
i also loved hitting them with r1 after parry.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Must really hard living life as a MASSIVE PUSSY. Everything about this game triggers you, JUST DROP IT.

Nah, I disagree. This has never been a loot heavy game. The game play is awesome as it is and I don't think a couple more weapons would really make an impact.

You lot? Plenty of people are expressing negative opinions on this game (take note account suicide threads). One guy is giving you shit for your negativity and I wish he had just ignored it because it sounds like you had a rant ready to go just in case.

You guys need to chill a little. The game can still be brilliant and be mocked for its blatant stand out quirks.

To let you all know, I'm loving it. I just want partners to STFU a bit. I'm fighting the light elves now and the game is dope. Just slightly less dope than 2018 for me bit that was an 11/10. This is a solid 9 and I would rather some people share there negatives so the devs may actually know what to improve on than think everything they do is perfect.

Like...how is raiding a quirk seen as being crazy negative.

The game is brilliant...I'm throughly enjoying it now. Good day of binging.

Plus I got my 4090 founders edition today so life is good. God of war is the icing on the cake.

Last edited:

K' Dash

I'm just gonna say it, I fucking despise the blades of chaos, they suck, they're horrible to use and don't feel satisfying at all to use. When Kratos dug them out in the first game my heart sank into my chest, now they make you use the both... what a fucking mistake.

SlimySnake

Man these graphics in linear segments are amazing. The fact that they come after what is possibly the dullest looking area in the game makes it stand out even more. Absolutely stunning work by SSM artists here.

I’m beginning to enjoy the combat more and more. It is opening up in ways i didn’t expect and is exactly what this game needed to give it that true sequel feeling. This is the first time I’m feeling the excitement of playing something truly great.

SlimySnake

If this game wins a single sound award, burn the whole industry down. I have not heard more unbalanced, fucked with sound in my life.

The first game was alright, which leaves me to believe Sony has gone and messed up their whole gen with another gimmic. From the heights of playing a CD on an original PS1 with its rare earth component magic, to this mangled garbage.

They have forced the dialogue to be boosted i the center channel as you pan, then made an option to make all the dialogue come through the center channel...in case you want it more fucked?

There is zero sound when the chains hit enemies, but 120 decibles of "uggggh ra ugggh raaa" out of Kratos...because his grunts follow whatever shit idea they had for balancing dialogue.

The game is fucking weak, Sony's shit audio gimmicks screwee up this gen. Leave sound alone, pay the license fees Sony.
Game sounds really good with headphones but very underwhelming with speakers. The issue is with the audio mixing.

Btw the ps5 supports dolby atmos in blurays so I’m pretty sure they have licensed it. Would they need to license it separately for games and streaming services? I would think individual games and movies would need to license that stuff, not Sony itself for PlayStation.

I think in this case they just mastered the Audio for headphones. Its still Not bad IMO but just not as great as it is on headphones.

Vick

Gold Member

7. Get hit again, die.
8. "Okay, again."
Okay I think I know what your "problem" is: an awful lot of parts of equipment/weapons/whatnot you use have chances of doing some Bonus something. That's why it's not always 100% consistent.

This is the first time I’m feeling the excitement of playing something truly great.
giphy.gif

Oh shit..

Game sounds really good with headphones but very underwhelming with speakers. The issue is with the audio mixing.
Game sounds perfect on my HT. And I get surround with whatever options selected on the PS5.

LostDonkey

Really enjoying this game. Much better than the first game. The boy was so annoying in the first and he's a good companion on this one, for me anyway, so far.

I've not played much, just done the bit with the mining towers. Although image quality is a bit soft I have to say it's probably the best visuals I've ever seen. Everything is just so polished.

Can't wait to play more.

Topher

Gold Member
Man these graphics in linear segments are amazing. The fact that they come after what is possibly the dullest looking area in the game makes it stand out even more. Absolutely stunning work by SSM artists here.

I’m beginning to enjoy the combat more and more. It is opening up in ways i didn’t expect and is exactly what this game needed to give it that true sequel feeling. This is the first time I’m feeling the excitement of playing something truly great.

Will Ferrell Elf GIF by filmeditor

yamaci17

atreus first 4-5 hrs spoiler
do I enjoy the combat with atreus. damn. its smooth as heck boi! i dont like the dipshit much but its amazing how refined his combat is. im really enjoying the bow and his moveset is refreshing

cormack12

Gold Member
atreus first 4-5 hrs spoiler
do I enjoy the combat with atreus. damn. its smooth as heck boi! i dont like the dipshit much but its amazing how refined his combat is. im really enjoying the bow and his moveset is refreshing
Yeah it's like better than Gotham Knights lol.

Can you upgrade runes? I'm sure I did earlier but can I fuck find the right menu or option with Brok?

Top Bottom