• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ragnarök G|OT|Y

TonyK

For me, script has the same problem as Horizon FW and majority of now days scripts for games, movies and TV Shows: characters, especially young ones, are written as now day people, and their personalities, apart from being the same, don't show any traces of all the crazy shit they have lived.

Also, I dislike the change on personality for Kratos, from Spartan father to Montessori father, as Joel in The Last of Us II 😪

Don't get me wrong, game is great and I can't stop playing, but compared with 2018 entry, it has too much dialog, cinematics and linear guided sequences. I was thinking yesterday that it seems a God of War made by Naughty Dog.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
Ill place money I did more in 2018 and every god of war ever released than you. Show me your trophy lists and Ill show you mine plus even my Kratos action figure. lol

You lot are insecure over any negative comment, its funny.

Prove me wrong that I am not a huge fan of this series!

Also, I am a green rat and proud of it, just like you're a blue beaver. Doesnt mean I am not more neutral than others and owned every single Sony system day one...all the way from the PS1

Plus lol I am only a few hours in. I feel like its just throwing stuff, upgrades, perks, gear. Once I get in the swing and it picks up and opens up I may completely fall in love with it and I really want to.
That doesn't mean what you think it means. I've seen your work all over the Horizon threads during the release, TLOUR, PSVR, PS5 sales threads, Activision etc. I even called you out about it.

It's fine to post criticism but you have a history. I knew what was coming and I was 100% right. Go play stuff like Scorn instead, you kept gushing about it 🤭

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
That doesn't mean what you think it means. I've seen your work all over the Horizon threads during the release, TLOUR, PSVR, PS5 sales threads, Activision etc. I even called you out about it.

It's fine to post criticism but you have a history. I knew what was coming and I was 100% right. Go play stuff like Scorn instead, you kept gushing about it 🤭

Sorry mate. Too busy with ragnorok.

Last edited:

Kindela

Banned
Those of you playing on gmgow, how are you finding the difficulty? I've played the first one on the one difficulty below, but went with gmgow this time. It's absolutely brutal. There are some trash mob areas that I've restarted 5+ times until I managed to defeat them. It's not frustrating (yet), but damn is it challenging.

Vick

Gold Member
LMAO at:

Tyr introduction and sequences after

Hilarious and unexpected.

Level design and traversal are fucking ace in this game. And finally the new shield clicked with me.

For me, script has the same problem as Horizon FW and majority of now days scripts for games, movies and TV Shows: characters, especially young ones, are written as now day people, and their personalities, apart from being the same, don't show any traces of all the crazy shit they have lived.

Also, I dislike the change on personality for Kratos, from Spartan father to Montessori father, as Joel in The Last of Us II 😪

Don't get me wrong, game is great and I can't stop playing, but compared with 2018 entry, it has too much dialog, cinematics and linear guided sequences. I was thinking yesterday that it seems a God of War made by Naughty Dog.
How far are you in the game?
Because I got that ND vibe early on, but that's long gone now.

As for too much cinematics and linear guided sequences, unless the game is going to change again later that doesn't match my experience at all. Cutscenes are like a fifth at best of the ones in the 2018, and much, much shorter. Guided sequences disappeared right after the tutorial/prologue.

Madflavor

Gold Member
Okay I think I know what your "problem" is: an awful lot of parts of equipment/weapons/whatnot you use have chances of doing some Bonus something. That's why it's not always 100% consistent.

My equipment is built around buffs, so I don't think that's it. I mentioned Skadi's Edge earlier, which is something I use. I've seen Skadi's Edge stunlock bosses for the full attack, and then I've seen that same boss break outta the stunlock halfway through. But seeing them get stunlock trains my mind to think that Runic attack stunlocks them, which makes me use big attacks on them while their stunned. Then I learn that's not always the case and I end up getting hit. The inconsistency is what's really fucking with me with this game, and causing the frustration.

I've had to change my playstyle to fight very defensively. Wait for an enemy to attack, chip a couple hits on them, and then go back to putting distance between me and them before I rinse and repeat. It's working better for me, but it's not the way I personally enjoy action heavy games. I don't find the higher difficulties suited to aggressive high risk high reward playstyle due to the inconsistency of how effective certain attacks are, and one hit can delete most of your HP.

Markio128

Gold Member
Everyone talking up how good this game gets around ten hours in, and I’m there endlessly picking fruit. Why.
It’s called foreplay. That section you refer to has been my favourite so far and it finished me off with a virtual ejaculation of epic proportions.
wait for it lol GIF by Shalita Grant

Vick

Gold Member
Are you using the parry shield?
Yes. I still prefer the parry in the first one (or with the old now broken shield), but I'm now managing to accomplish a fair share of badass stuff with this one.

My equipment is built around buffs, so I don't think that's it. I mentioned Skadi's Edge earlier, which is something I use. I've seen Skadi's Edge stunlock bosses for the full attack, and then I've seen that same boss break outta the stunlock halfway through. But seeing them get stunlock trains my mind to think that Runic attack stunlocks them, which makes me use big attacks on them while their stunned. Then I learn that's not always the case and I end up getting hit. The inconsistency is what's really fucking with me with this game, and causing the frustration.

I've had to change my playstyle to fight very defensively. Wait for an enemy to attack, chip a couple hits on them, and then go back to putting distance between me and them before I rinse and repeat. It's working better for me, but it's not the way I personally enjoy action heavy games. I don't find the higher difficulties suited to aggressive high risk high reward playstyle due to the inconsistency of how effective certain attacks are, and one hit can delete most of your HP.
Look better at all your weapons parts equipped.

About aggressiveness on higher difficulties, I'm sorry to say but you just have to get good. It takes alot of time with this sytem, but when you master it you're unstoppable.

The first one was much harder (at least so far) at GMGOW, and this is how that mode can be played:

And combat in this feels like an evolution of that one.

Chronicle

Loving the random mini boss fights! Like this game. Was in the zone last night with the axe. Movements slowed down and getting a handle (pun not intended) on things. It's nice when you come to a point where you're nor button masking but executing strikes and timing hits properly.

GooseMan69

Is the side content way harder than the main quest? I feel like it is. I kinda get my ass kicked doing the optional stuff. Then I go back to the main story and breeze right through it. I recall that being the case in 2018 as well.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
For people unhappy with the blade of chaos, try to use the Aim + hook move (both variants) that one is pretty impactful and how the blades are supposed to be played imo.

reached the part after you free
tyr, fuck me atreus may be stronger than kratos to use, all that stun make short times of most enemies, and he is super fast, kinda OP even

SafeOrAlone

Banned
It’s called foreplay. That section you refer to has been my favourite so far and it finished me off with a virtual ejaculation of epic proportions.
wait for it lol GIF by Shalita Grant
Lol!

Yeah game got good again. Honestly I’m bummed that I’ll probably never want to replay this game unless they make like a different “cut” of it for new game plus.

But it definitely has had some great moments.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I meant in terms of story. He seems to have no agency. Loki is driving the story and kratos is simply following him.
Well if we followed kratos will the game would be
an hunting and smashing wood simulator because he only want to stay safe at home.

SLB1904

Banned
For people unhappy with the blade of chaos, try to use the Aim + hook move (both variants) that one is pretty impactful and how the blades are supposed to be played imo.

reached the part after you free
tyr, fuck me atreus may be stronger than kratos to use, all that stun make short times of most enemies, and he is super fast, kinda OP even
Somehow he gets better lol

Markio128

Gold Member
Lol!

Yeah game got good again. Honestly I’m bummed that I’ll probably never want to replay this game unless they make like a different “cut” of it for new game plus.

But it definitely has had some great moments.
I understand what you mean, at least as far as replaying the game is concerned, but it’s a fairly short section in a pretty big game. I’m about 18 hours into the game now and I haven’t come across any other notable down-time.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
l15ugpY.jpg

Aaaaaaand 100%

The highlight was when I realised I was on a quest line involving two guys who turned out to be gay, now that's pretty normal in today's games but what had me laughing my ass off was the realisation that I picked it up from a RAINBOW campfire. Because the developer needed to spell that out for you.

Vick

Gold Member
Same. Super fucking fun to use as well. But the game's not fooling me one bit:

Kratos won't die. Even because otherwise fuck this game and series.

Kindela

Banned
Jesus "The Hateful" draugur minibosses are hard as fuck. One hit and you're on fire for like 15 seconds, life evaporates faster than water in a desert.
Managed to beat the first one just now. Died cca 15 times in total probably. Maybe even more.
After the first 10 deaths I went to finish the other side quests, got some nice levels on my equipment, and then went back and died only 5 more times :D

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
So yeah I am playing without vrr just to have locked 40 and it feels great.
It turned it down to 30fps just to check. Gave it a good 10 minutes… wtf is going on. Its unplayable and I am the biggest advocate for 30 fps. That 40 fps makes incredible difference.

Now… I wonder how that 30fps would feel in 120hz container.

Vick

Gold Member
The highlight was when I realised I was on a quest line involving
two guys who turned out to be gay, now that's pretty normal in today's games but what had me laughing my ass off was the realisation that I picked it up from a RAINBOW campfire.
Because the developer needed to spell that out for you.
raining_david_tennant_nosedrip.gif

You could put that fucking shit under Spoiler.. hopefully it's not the kind of forced and off putting crap.

Last edited:
So were the main bosses in IW and VH the bits people were saying "just wait it gets amazing" about?

I thought both were really mechanically basic, like unbelievably so. I understand they don't want to gatekeep people from the main quest with a huge speed bump like some Dark Souls bosses do but they at least could have had some interesting mechanics.

If you somehow couldn't figure out the mechanics the NPCs just spell it out for you explicitly anyhow. Nidhogg looked very cool but anything interesting happened in cutscenes the actual fight was shockingly straightforward with some of the most telegraphed attacks and repetitive phases I've experienced all while Freya tells you exactly what to do attack wise.

Some bosses make you feel like a badass because they are just really hard and ask a lot of you concentration and timing wise like Sigrun does and some make you feel badass even if they aren't conventionally difficult as they ask you to do something interesting or because they unfold more like a puzzle and need you to figure stuff out. For me both of these bosses felt very basic outside of the impressive, but not interactive, set pieces.

Not saying they were shit boss fights in the grand scheme of things but some of the hyperbole here is crazy and I think once the honeymoon period is over people will be a lot more measured about the game.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

Yeah, my friend was complaining about the voice actor for Loki, but tbh, its the script. they made him too annoying and the relationship between him and kratos simply isnt as satisfying to see in this game than it was in the first.

Definitely feeling Kratos getting dumbed down like Joel was. At least no droopy shoulders on Kratos.
Hopping on to say that as much as I'm enjoying the game, the combat is jank as fuck. I don't remember if 2018 was like this, but I'm playing on Give Me No Mercy, and I never feel like I'm getting better. Other difficult games I feel like I get better, like Elden Ring or any other action heavy game. But not with this, and I finally figured out why. There are little things about the combat that makes things difficult to master and get used to. And it's little things. Little things that sometimes work, and sometimes they don't.

• The enemies are inconsistent with how they get stunlocked by certain attacks. I'm not talking about stunlocking a small enemy and then getting upset it doesn't do that to a boss. I'm talking about the exact same attacks stunlocking the exact same enemies, but then you do it again and it doesn't work, leading you to getting hit and losing half your health.
  • Certain attacks lock you into attack animations. In a game and difficulty mode where a single mistake can cost you a lot of health, it's risky to do certain attacks. But again, the combat is inconsistent with when enemies get staggered by these attacks. I've had times fighting enemies (like the Beserkers) where I've seen certain attacks stagger them, but then sometimes when I do it the enemy doesn't stagger and they continue to attack even after getting hit, but because I'm locked into the attack animation I'll take damage. And again to be clear, there's no confusion on when's the right time to do these attacks. Obviously trying to stagger an enemy when they're winding up for a big attack, isn't going to work the same as when the enemy is attacking normally. But I'm referring to times when the enemy is attacking normally and my big attacks aren't staggering or stunning them. They just eat right through and kill Kratos.
  • One thing that just happened that sent me over the edge is Skadi's Edge is supposed to slow down time. I'm fighting a Beserker that throws projectiles. Skadi's Edge is supposed to slow down time. I used Skadi's Edge right as the Beserker was getting ready to throw lighting. Time slowed down, and so did the Beserker, but the actually projectile moved normally and killed Kratos.
These are just some examples off the top of my head. Again I like the game, but I find it very difficult and frustrating to master because the combat design isn't perfect. I've never had this issue before with other games on high difficulties. Ghost of Tsushima, Horizon, Elden Ring, Bayonetta, DMC5, you name it. But this game's combat can fucking suck my balls. Maybe some people don't notice this shit, but when you're playing on a difficulty mode where a single hit from any enemy takes off 30-50% of your health, believe me you notice.

A typical boss fight that I'm struggling against goes like this:

1. Open the fight with a pattern of Runic Attacks that stunlock the boss to deliver big damage.
2. Fight the boss, try to learn his patterns. Inevitable take 2-3 hits and get killed.
3. "Okay time to try again."
4. Open the fight with the same pattern of Runic Attacks.
5. Boss breaks out of the stunlock for some reason and hits me for half my health.
6. Use Spartan Rage to heal up. Kratos just keeps doing the jumping punch attack instead of a flurry of blows for efficiency.
7. Get hit again, die.
8. "Okay, again."
9. Open the fight with a pattern of Runic attacks that stunlock the boss to deliver big damage.
10. Doing well. Boss at 25%. Runic Attacks cooldown complete.
11. Use Runic Attacks, boss doesn't stagger and punches me. Kratos dies.
I am not sure why the game is built around the stun mechanic instead of DPS like the first one was. I also feel like the game just feels a bit janky. There are times when the combat clicks and I'm on fire but then they change up the enemies and it turns into a slog where im constantly getting hit or scrambling not to get hit.

I like that they pretty much gimped the runic attacks and added several of the previous games runic attacks to Kratos' main attack arsenal, but there arent that many new attacks for crowd control now which exposes the Axe's main weakness which was that it was always a single enemy weapon that needed runic attacks to do crowd control.

I wont say its like Ascension in that it sucks because of them downgrading kratos from GOW3 but it definitely feels like they gimped him overall. I look at the remaining Axe upgrades and they are literally all stuff that was in the first game. It's really underwhelming to see a game be in dev for 4.5 years and have added so few new moves to its main weapon.

Game sounds perfect on my HT. And I get surround with whatever options selected on the PS5.
I am getting surround too. I just think its muted compared to my Pulse 3D headset which does a much better job of enhancing the surround sound. If you have a good headset, give it a shot. 3D audio in this game is really good.
So yeah I am playing without vrr just to have locked 40 and it feels great.
It turned it down to 30fps just to check. Gave it a good 10 minutes… wtf is going on. Its unplayable and I am the biggest advocate for 30 fps. That 40 fps makes incredible difference.

Now… I wonder how that 30fps would feel in 120hz container.
I compared it to the Demon Souls 30 fps mode earlier. it is absolutely awful. John from DF said that the only 30 fps version with proper motion stutter speed is the base PS4 version. it's clear that they didnt even bother with the 30 fps version on PS5.

40 FPS without vrr looks like 60 fps. It is THE best feeling 40 fps mode ive played. Ratchet and Miles didnt feel this good at a locked 40 and needed the vrr to really give them the 60 fps feeling.

both naughty dog & santa monica have become invested in the new 'mature storytelling', which appears to consist of loads of visceral, highly detailed violence mixed with overt emotional manipulation...

&, yeah, your take on characters, particularly young ones, speaking & behaving exactly as people do now, no matter their personal backgrounds, is dead on...

Reactions: Isa

STARSBarry

Gold Member
raining_david_tennant_nosedrip.gif

You could put that fucking shit under Spoiler.. hopefully it's the kind of forced and off putting crap.

Don't worry it's as throwaway and uttely meaningless as a majority of the side content is, helps make you appreciate the actual good ones with some pay off all the more.

sachos

"On your Left".."On your right, father"..."Turn it to the left....I mean my left" "thats it"......"Behind you" "WATCH OUT!" " UP TOP"..."That was crazy"

STFU!!!!
Havent played the game yet but after watching some streams thats for sure one annoying thing i noticed, just look at this fight, companion constantly telling you how to fight the boss

Last edited:

G-Bus

Banned
Everyone talking up how good this game gets around ten hours in, and I’m there endlessly picking fruit. Why.

Oh, it gets better? 10 hours on the main stuff I'm assuming. I was thinking about focusing on the side stuff for a bit. Not so sure now...

I'm doing the same thing you are haha.

Have read a couple things in here I wish I hadn't. Now I won't be coming back until I've finished the main stuff.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Watching the credits roll now (after the actual hidden ending). It's a damn fine game.

If there's any one thing that I'd have to complain about is that it kinda suffers from the sequel bloat syndrome. It's just a personal gripe, though, because if the game is as great as this, then the more of it there is to play, the better. Obviously.

But I think I would've been more satisfied if it was a tad shorter like the last God of War. For a plot-heavy game such as this one, I just barely have the time or patience to sit through so much story and dialogue that I literally have to play it for 3 days straight just to get through the main quest. It's a bit aggravating because I only have time until the end of the weekend to finish it because after that I won't be able to play it for another 1-2 weeks because I got grown up shit to do. So while I'm trying to enjoy myself and explore as much of the game as possible, I also feel this nagging rush to get through the story as quickly as I can because if I won't finish it before the weekend is up, then it's gonna be on my mind for the whole next week lol.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
I've just had a ride on the kelpie, how long left of main campaign (spoiler it)? I'm off to do some side stuff tomorrow.

I actually like how the characters are written. Makes em feel more real, compared to having over-the-top all-mighty beings.
It's like the franchise grew up, instead of lingering in teenage fantasies.

Maybe it's because I don't have all the time in the world anymore compared to how it used to be (fulltime job and family-life and all), but the linear structure is very welcomed. But that's up to personal preference ofcourse.

Anyway, enjoying the game and the game looks amazing on PS5 with HFR Resolution and it's HDR.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Just played the first hour or so.
looks amazing on the new C2…
when/how can I equip my pre order extras?

Get a bit further in, you need to unlock forging and complete the handheld tutorial on upgrading, once that's done quit out and they will point out a chest with "a bunch of your old stuff" it's at this point you yet the preorder/deluxe edition stuff.

Last edited:
Top Bottom