• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ragnarök G|OT|Y

Flutta

Banned
For me, script has the same problem as Horizon FW and majority of now days scripts for games, movies and TV Shows: characters, especially young ones, are written as now day people, and their personalities, apart from being the same, don't show any traces of all the crazy shit they have lived.

Also, I dislike the change on personality for Kratos, from Spartan father to Montessori father, as Joel in The Last of Us II 😪

Don't get me wrong, game is great and I can't stop playing, but compared with 2018 entry, it has too much dialog, cinematics and linear guided sequences. I was thinking yesterday that it seems a God of War made by Naughty Dog.
You nailed it. So far for me at least the gameplay has been mediocre at best. I would even say that i had more fun with GOW2018 as it stands right now. I didnt like the kid at all in the first game, but here he’s even worse. He acts like a spoiled brat and lets be real the old Kratos would’ve whooped his ass long time ago instead we get a woke father that has a son who never listens to him or respects him. It’s sad to see.

Lol i felt jag the same way, as if ND made this game 🤦‍♀️. They’re clearly going the TLOU route it seems.

I’m about 15h in so far it’s been a drag to say the least. Amazing graphics tho.

Last edited:

yamaci17

So yeah I am playing without vrr just to have locked 40 and it feels great.
It turned it down to 30fps just to check. Gave it a good 10 minutes… wtf is going on. Its unplayable and I am the biggest advocate for 30 fps. That 40 fps makes incredible difference.

Now… I wonder how that 30fps would feel in 120hz container.
bro console 30 fps is actually wack. i installed gow 2018 on both my pc and ps4 and dude, VRR'ed 30 Fps on PC without vsync or any kind of lag bearing sync is A LOT smoother and enjoyable to play. it is the exact opposite of what console people have been saying about how PC 30 fps is wack and console 30 fps is magic sauce

if anything, it is more easy to achieve magical sauce low input lag 30 fps on PC. it seems like console devs do not care about snappy inputs at 30 fps or something but it is definitely doable. there is of course a trade off, hardcore vsync'ed 30 fps with alot of buffers looks a bit "smoother". i guess this is the part most people think why console 30 fps is better to play or something. but man, lag is something else. my priority is input lag / and snappiness so PC 30 fps has been "snappier" to play in most games I've tried so far.

consoles can have this too, if they simply get free of hardcore vsync. vsync should only be used to prevent the occasional scanouts, not fully fledged on a VRR display. dunno if they will care about this or not tho. i guess u can get rid of the "hardcore" vsync by using the unlocked FPS VRR mode. logically it should, or have to, disable the integer vsync they been using. DF states there's a huge difference in terms of snappines between locked and unlocked FPS modes so i guess that plays part

Last edited:

TonyK

As for too much cinematics and linear guided sequences, unless the game is going to change again later that doesn't match my experience at all. Cutscenes are like a fifth at best of the ones in the 2018, and much, much shorter. Guided sequences disappeared right after the tutorial/prologue.
I played 16 hours. And it's totally guided until now. Also, I replayed God of War 2018 just before this and for sure previous one has less dialogs, cinematics and guidance. Previous game feels a bit closer to Zelda, this is pure Uncharted (and I love Uncharted, it's not a criticism but an opinion) until now.

10v12

Hopping on to say that as much as I'm enjoying the game, the combat is jank as fuck. I don't remember if 2018 was like this, but I'm playing on Give Me No Mercy, and I never feel like I'm getting better. Other difficult games I feel like I get better, like Elden Ring or any other action heavy game. But not with this, and I finally figured out why. There are little things about the combat that makes things difficult to master and get used to. And it's little things. Little things that sometimes work, and sometimes they don't.

• The enemies are inconsistent with how they get stunlocked by certain attacks. I'm not talking about stunlocking a small enemy and then getting upset it doesn't do that to a boss. I'm talking about the exact same attacks stunlocking the exact same enemies, but then you do it again and it doesn't work, leading you to getting hit and losing half your health.
  • Certain attacks lock you into attack animations. In a game and difficulty mode where a single mistake can cost you a lot of health, it's risky to do certain attacks. But again, the combat is inconsistent with when enemies get staggered by these attacks. I've had times fighting enemies (like the Beserkers) where I've seen certain attacks stagger them, but then sometimes when I do it the enemy doesn't stagger and they continue to attack even after getting hit, but because I'm locked into the attack animation I'll take damage. And again to be clear, there's no confusion on when's the right time to do these attacks. Obviously trying to stagger an enemy when they're winding up for a big attack, isn't going to work the same as when the enemy is attacking normally. But I'm referring to times when the enemy is attacking normally and my big attacks aren't staggering or stunning them. They just eat right through and kill Kratos.
  • One thing that just happened that sent me over the edge is Skadi's Edge is supposed to slow down time. I'm fighting a Beserker that throws projectiles. Skadi's Edge is supposed to slow down time. I used Skadi's Edge right as the Beserker was getting ready to throw lighting. Time slowed down, and so did the Beserker, but the actually projectile moved normally and killed Kratos.
These are just some examples off the top of my head. Again I like the game, but I find it very difficult and frustrating to master because the combat design isn't perfect. I've never had this issue before with other games on high difficulties. Ghost of Tsushima, Horizon, Elden Ring, Bayonetta, DMC5, you name it. But this game's combat can fucking suck my balls. Maybe some people don't notice this shit, but when you're playing on a difficulty mode where a single hit from any enemy takes off 30-50% of your health, believe me you notice.

A typical boss fight that I'm struggling against goes like this:

1. Open the fight with a pattern of Runic Attacks that stunlock the boss to deliver big damage.
2. Fight the boss, try to learn his patterns. Inevitable take 2-3 hits and get killed.
3. "Okay time to try again."
4. Open the fight with the same pattern of Runic Attacks.
5. Boss breaks out of the stunlock for some reason and hits me for half my health.
6. Use Spartan Rage to heal up. Kratos just keeps doing the jumping punch attack instead of a flurry of blows for efficiency.
7. Get hit again, die.
8. "Okay, again."
9. Open the fight with a pattern of Runic attacks that stunlock the boss to deliver big damage.
10. Doing well. Boss at 25%. Runic Attacks cooldown complete.
11. Use Runic Attacks, boss doesn't stagger and punches me. Kratos dies.
Completely agree with enemy stunlock reaction. I went back to 2018 and it's IMMEDEATELY noticeable change (i REALLY hope they patch this shit in, it can't be that hard to fix). Another problem with this game is the amount of projectile AOE dogshit.

However, I will say when you've upgraded the "Hold triangle" moves so that you can do it almost instantly it becomes MUCH more manageable, basically to the point where I only dies to minibosses/bosses. Even with these issues I would say the combat is more fun, if also more frustrating.

Eevee86

Try to not spam attacks, wait for the yellow attacks to parry. It might take longer this way but you can do it. I also died a few times until I played more passive and you also learn the patterns. Don't give up.
Slow Motion Reaction GIF by MOODMAN
It took like an hour to beat. It didn't have patterns. It was a harder version of Alva in a tiny room. Kept doing an aoe hit that did a ton of damage that you need to interrupt, but i wasn't always near her when she did it.

Imtjnotu

l15ugpY.jpg

Aaaaaaand 100%

The highlight was when I realised I was on a quest line involving two guys who turned out to be gay, now that's pretty normal in today's games but what had me laughing my ass off was the realisation that I picked it up from a RAINBOW campfire. Because the developer needed to spell that out for you.
Holy fuck my dude

Game sounds really good with headphones but very underwhelming with speakers. The issue is with the audio mixing.

Btw the ps5 supports dolby atmos in blurays so I’m pretty sure they have licensed it. Would they need to license it separately for games and streaming services? I would think individual games and movies would need to license that stuff, not Sony itself for PlayStation.

I think in this case they just mastered the Audio for headphones. Its still Not bad IMO but just not as great as it is on headphones.
The best solution I've found is to turn off audio panning until it's fixed, then turn dialogue down to 5. Then turn up the speakers.

Voices come through well regardless of distance and direction, and you can start to enjoy the rest of the mix.

kingwingin

final fight with thor was a letdown. Was hoping for something more epic in scale rather then just a small arena battle infront of the cabin. Should have bashed Kratos across realms, through time.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
final fight with thor was a letdown. Was hoping for something more epic in scale rather then just a small arena battle infront of the cabin. Should have bashed Kratos across realms, through time.

To be fair being a huge letdown is essentially his entire character arc. So at least he was consistant.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Oh, it gets better? 10 hours on the main stuff I'm assuming. I was thinking about focusing on the side stuff for a bit. Not so sure now...

I'm doing the same thing you are haha.

Have read a couple things in here I wish I hadn't. Now I won't be coming back until I've finished the main stuff.
I was being a bit facetious but I have seen a general consensus that this is a game that improves as it goes along. And yeah it did ramp up nicely from there.

I'm having a pretty good time. For me it's a mixed bag of totally awesome and utterly boring.

I mentioned wanting a new game plus mode that cuts out certain sections of the game and I feel more strongly about that as I go.

As it is, this has some of the coolest combat encounters I've had in a god of war game, but it's also probably the least repayable, due to how much walking and, imo, mediocre storytelling is shoved down the player's throat.

Last edited:

Vick

Gold Member
Just spent an unhealty amount of time in the arena. Had to master those fucking Grims attack patterns, by far the hardest enemies in both games to me, at least at GMGOW. Think I've never faced a more aggressive/unpredictable pack of enemies in any game honestly.
Managed to get 85/90% of parry consistency, which took more time than I would like to admit.
Then tried Draugar and fucking hell I scared myself. Can't even imagine the amount of insane shit you could pull off by the end of game. Janky combat my ass.

But parry was more visually satisfying and fluid in the first, no doubt about it, at least with my current equipment. Hope to be surprised later on in this regard.

I played 16 hours. And it's totally guided until now. Also, I replayed God of War 2018 just before this and for sure previous one has less dialogs, cinematics and guidance. Previous game feels a bit closer to Zelda, this is pure Uncharted (and I love Uncharted, it's not a criticism but an opinion) until now.
Yeah, regarding cutscenes after meeting with a certain character I stand corrected, wouldn't say more than the first, which I also replayed until literally seconds before booting the second, but definitely not less. Still feel shorter in lenght though.

For the Uncharted comparison, in those games you progress and can never go back. This couldn't be further than that, even if "those particular" sections, to avoid spoilers, could feel somewhat similar. But they end and there's the whole game again available to you.

More like Slog of War. That Atreus part was terrible and that boss fight lol. Back to Kratos again thank God.
The Elf part had so many puzzles in a row I wanted to die...they could cut a solid 4 hours off this game if they just added in puzzles based on quality not quantity. Modern gaming in general has so much to artificially lengthen the experience. A tight shorter experience is fine.

tmlDan

The Elf part had so many puzzles in a row I wanted to die...they could cut a solid 4 hours off this game if they just added in puzzles based on quality not quantity. Modern gaming in general has so much to artificially lengthen the experience. A tight shorter experience is fine.
They weren't hard and fun to solve, what's the deal with your complaint?

im not here to play a complex puzzle game, most people aren't

Last edited:

Certinty

I absolutely love puzzle games and puzzles in any game really but some of them in this game are just outright bad. So much is left unexplained that they’re hardly puzzles but just hoping random stuff works. Like seriously, how am I meant to know I need to clip the wings off a statue?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Alfheim was the worst level in the first game, and thats true here as well. Agreed on the puzzles. they were awful. this is why we need to move to physics based puzzles next gen. this kind of puzzle is simply not fun anymore. as much as i hate BOTW's dungeons, at least the shrine puzzles were physics based and fun to figure out and solve.

Hoppa

Just finished Atreus’ little mission with Sindri and arrived at alfheim.

Playing on the PS Quintuple. Game looks awesome, the acting and storytelling are all top notch. SSM and Naughty Dog (and Insomniac) have really perfected this style of game. Don’t mind the puzzles yet either.

Only gripes so far are the animations like the tight gaps and the crawling through burrows/trenches. There was one bit with a train where you have to move it on the tracks to correct the alignment? Painful. But when things like this happen it lets me know that something is coming up which kinda ruins the surprise

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
bro console 30 fps is actually wack. i installed gow 2018 on both my pc and ps4 and dude, VRR'ed 30 Fps on PC without vsync or any kind of lag bearing sync is A LOT smoother and enjoyable to play. it is the exact opposite of what console people have been saying about how PC 30 fps is wack and console 30 fps is magic sauce

if anything, it is more easy to achieve magical sauce low input lag 30 fps on PC. it seems like console devs do not care about snappy inputs at 30 fps or something but it is definitely doable. there is of course a trade off, hardcore vsync'ed 30 fps with alot of buffers looks a bit "smoother". i guess this is the part most people think why console 30 fps is better to play or something. but man, lag is something else. my priority is input lag / and snappiness so PC 30 fps has been "snappier" to play in most games I've tried so far.

consoles can have this too, if they simply get free of hardcore vsync. vsync should only be used to prevent the occasional scanouts, not fully fledged on a VRR display. dunno if they will care about this or not tho. i guess u can get rid of the "hardcore" vsync by using the unlocked FPS VRR mode. logically it should, or have to, disable the integer vsync they been using. DF states there's a huge difference in terms of snappines between locked and unlocked FPS modes so i guess that plays part
It’s either these couple games fault or ps5.
It felt better on ps4. And on ps5 games like bloodborne are still very responsive at 30fps.
Forbidden West was fine too.

But this and demons souls at 30 is a bitch
Let’s just hope they will lelearn to do proper 30 when it’s the only mode….

Last edited:

drotahorror

Just spent an unhealty amount of time in the arena. Had to master those fucking Grims attack patterns, by far the hardest enemies in both games to me, at least at GMGOW. Think I've never faced a more aggressive/unpredictable pack of enemies in any game honestly.
Managed to get 85/90% of parry consistency, which took more time than I would like to admit.
Then tried Draugar and fucking hell I scared myself. Can't even imagine the amount of insane shit you could pull off by the end of game. Janky combat my ass.

But parry was more visually satisfying and fluid in the first, no doubt about it, at least with my current equipment. Hope to be surprised later on in this regard.

Yeah, regarding cutscenes after meeting with a certain character I stand corrected, wouldn't say more than the first, which I also replayed until literally seconds before booting the second, but definitely not less. Still feel shorter in lenght though.

For the Uncharted comparison, in those games you progress and can never go back. This couldn't be further than that, even if "those particular" sections, to avoid spoilers, could feel somewhat similar. But they end and there's the whole game again available to you.

I would erase part of your message but I hate editing quotes on mobile.

The drauger mini bosses are my bane. Holy fuck I've died so many times clearing drauger holes on gmgow difficulty.

buenoblue

I'm like 10 hours in and it's so linear with crevice shimmys every 20mins. It's still good but no where near as good as 2018 for me.

Madflavor

Gold Member
Look better at all your weapons parts equipped.

I did man, I don't know what you want me to tell you. I'm trying to get better at the game, but I explained the issues that have been getting in the way of that. I'm not the only one who's noticed some things about the combat don't work quite well. I'm not saying it's a bad game. I think it's one of the best games this year. But I'm being critical here because I think it deserves it. It's an action heavy game where the camera doesn't allow you to see 50-60% of what's going on in the battlefield, and difficulty modes where getting hit 2-3 times can kill you. Combine those things with the fact that you have to be quick and precise with your approach to combat, I expect the combat to be smooth as butter. And right now there are some things about combat that aren't consistent.

Right now I plan to 100% my first run, or about as much as I can, and then I'm moving on to Tactics Ogre Reborn. I'll probably attempt GMGoW at later time if there's been a few patches ironing things out.

Last edited:

Vick

Gold Member
I would erase part of your message but I hate editing quotes on mobile.

The drauger mini bosses are my bane. Holy fuck I've died so many times clearing drauger holes on gmgow difficulty.
It's not like Grims encounters are a challenge per se, but flawlessly fighting against a pack of them is super hard to pull off. They really never fucking stop attacking and the patterns are borderline unfair.

Didn't had much problems with Hatefuls so far coming right from GoW 2018 at GMGOW. They are more aggressive and a little faster but still display the same, easy to avoid attack patterns and stay vulnerable for more than enough time.

GC_DALBEN

Im liking the game, but i liked the first one better, im bored, i love all the characters, exploration gets boring fast (too repetitive, so many chests...), i hope it get better in the end, i like playing with Atreus, but i wanna play with Kratos...

Favor Performance + hfr + vrr = awesome - Its impressive what the DEV can do with the ps5 hardware...

Sorry about my english.

Topher

Gold Member
Unless you didn't play GoW 2018 and you're talking about the Leviathan Axe this is one of the biggest spoilers in this entire thread and you deserve a temp ban for it. Be more mindful of what the fuck you're posting or use spoiler tags.

If you feel that strongly about it then use the report button.

Vick

Gold Member
I did man, I don't know what you want me to tell you. I'm trying to get better at the game, but I explained the issues that have been getting in the way of that. I'm not the only one who's noticed some things about the combat don't work quite well. I'm not saying it's a bad game. I think it's one of the best games this year. But I'm being critical here because I think it deserves it. It's an action heavy game where the camera doesn't allow you to see 50-60% of what's going on in the battlefield, and difficulty modes where getting hit 2-3 times can kill you. Combine those things with the fact that you have to be quick and precise with your approach to combat, I expect the combat to be smooth as butter. And right now there are some things about combat that aren't consistent.

Right now I plan to 100% my first run, or about as much as I can, and then I'm moving on to Tactics Ogre Reborn. I'll probably attempt GMGoW at later time if there's been a few patches ironing things out.
I don't know what to tell you man, as GMGOW has been a smooth sailing so far for me. Haven't encountered any inconsistency whatsoever, outside of my improving timing for parrying Grims attacks and the occasional Bonuses of equipment. But I'm still early on so who knows.

personal taste? they’re more of a slog to me. Not hard which is why it’s so frustrating for me personally.
Just a suggestion, but maybe you should't be playing two (and completely different) games at the same damn time?

On my 5th ng+ now doing a full faith build...playing the game through with different builds is so fun because the experience is so much different based on how you play.

Vick

Gold Member
12 hours in and I feel like the developers have a love of climbing. It’s a solid 8 or 9 so far. There’s some parts that I don’t want to replay. That sounds bad, but it’s a great game.
Maybe it's because I just finished the first one, where there's yes alot of climbing, but here after the tutorial I've seen close to none of it as you use the Blades for traversal. In more than 10 hours I must have spent less than 5 minutes of actual climbing, and I've explored all there is to explore.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
30h in and I am beginning to be less throughout . Skipping some sponge rifts and what not.
I feel all the side stuff really brings the whole pacing of story down.
Mission takes 30 minutes and optical exploration after that 2 hours.
And I think 2018 felt more epic and significant even though almost nothing happened in that game. It was more personal story and I liked more simple elegance of gameplay there.
Here it’s overcrowding with mechanics, levels and so on.

That said, I am playing up to 2am every day and can’t put it down… I don’t think it’s so far as good as 2018 but it’s still fantastic.

SLB1904

Banned
Unless you didn't play GoW 2018 and you're talking about the Leviathan Axe this is one of the biggest spoilers in this entire thread and you deserve a temp ban for it. Be more mindful of what the fuck you're posting or use spoiler tags.
That fuck you talking about. It's a god of war game. Of course there will be weapons. What you on about?

Finally got an invitation from Amazon to buy a PS5. It'll be here on Monday. :)

The game has been 'fine' on PS4 Pro, though... been playing in performance mode, which ranges anywhere from 30 to 60, but combat usually drops down to 30 (and I can drop it even lower by using a certain Runic attack).

The worst part of the PS4 version are the load times, though. ~10 seconds per reloaded checkpoint doesn't sound that bad on paper, but when you're playing on Give Me God of War and you're getting 1 or 2 shotted by enemies, those reloads add up!

Coming from the PC version of GoW to this was a bit of a shock to the system (perfect 60fps and 1 second load times), but I'm glad it'll be behind me soon lol

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
In this thread there's 2 glowing appraisals for every 10 bad ones

How does it get 94% from critics?
I don’t understand it. It feels less and less like a God of War type game. I’d imagine the beginning and the end will be the icing on the cake. The middle stuff, not so much.
Maybe it's because I just finished the first one, where there's yes alot of climbing, but here after the tutorial I've seen close to none of it as you use the Blades for traversal. In more than 10 hours I must have spent less than 5 minutes of actual climbing, and I've explored all there is to explore.
It’ll come.

I’m having a great time and I re-iterate that because I don’t want to defend my stance on it over and over again. I would have scored it lower. I keep going back because it’s a lot of fun.

30h in and I am beginning to be less throughout . Skipping some sponge rifts and what not.
I feel all the side stuff really brings the whole pacing of story down.
Mission takes 30 minutes and optical exploration after that 2 hours.
And I think 2018 felt more epic and significant even though almost nothing happened in that game. It was more personal story and I liked more simple elegance of gameplay there.
Here it’s overcrowding with mechanics, levels and so on.

That said, I am playing up to 2am every day and can’t put it down… I don’t think it’s so far as good as 2018 but it’s still fantastic.
The Epic stuff is spot on. I think back to God of War 2 and even 2018. The world was a giant painting at times. While this has good world building. I feel less of its magic at times. 2018 and the world serpent were game changing stuff.

I feel like there’s a big technical challenge in making these games, but at some point they all seem to want to do the same exact thing. Instead of ripping and tearing your way through Olympus, we have to do the meet and greet before we get there.

Last edited:

G-Bus

Banned
Curious how far I am and if this is going to pick up at all. Honestly feels like it just about to get going.

just finished up with angrboda for the first (?) time[spoiler/]

Bit of a slog...

DavidGzz

Gold Member
So, some claim Kratos is 8 feet tall. Not in these new games, there is no way. He seems maybe 6'3". There are humans that tower over you and Thor makes him look like he's 5'5". Also, the dwarves don't look half his height like they should.

SLB1904

Banned
So, some claim Kratos is 8 feet tall. Not in these new games, there is no way. He seems maybe 6'3". There are humans that tower over you and Thor makes him look like he's 5'5". Also, the dwarves don't look half his height like they should.

Thor is a giant I mean half giant

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The game is no dlc. So much new shit. Wow.

Combat just keeps getting better. It was those elves. Worst enemy design in the first game. Same thing here. The rest of the enemies are fun to fight with the tweaks they have made to the combat system.

And now that I’ve come to understand that this is more of a slow burner instead of a gow3 god killing bonanza, I’m beginning to enjoy the story beats more. Its very naughty dog inspired. I know people hate nd on these boards but i still like them warts and all, and ssm is probably doing the nd fornula better than them in this game.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
The game is no dlc. So much new shit. Wow.

Combat just keeps getting better. It was those elves. Worst enemy design in the first game. Same thing here. The rest of the enemies are fun to fight with the tweaks they have made to the combat system.

And now that I’ve come to understand that this is more of a slow burner instead of a gow3 god killing bonanza, I’m beginning to enjoy the story beats more. Its very naughty dog inspired. I know people hate nd on these boards but i still like them warts and all, and ssm is probably doing the nd fornula better than them in this game.

Man I loved the elf fights, just gotta prioritize parries and it’s lit how they get destroyed

The combat is a big improvement from the first with the new ways you can customize your play

Madflavor

Gold Member
In this thread there's 2 glowing appraisals for every 10 bad ones

How does it get 94% from critics?

Gameplay wise does everything that GoW 2018 did, but expands on them. So that parts no mystery. As far as the story is concerned, it's definitely a downgrade from 2018. I'm pretty far in the game, and I'm not at the final act yet, so we'll see if my opinion changes. However when I think about the highs of GoW 2018's story, these come to mind:

Kratos digs up his past and retrieves the Blades of Chaos
Kratos and Atreus bonding and drinking wine.
The sequence with Atreus giving into his selfish darker side.
Kratos visiting Helheim and being confronted by his memories.
The end where they scatter Faye's ashes and Kratos undoes his wraps, releasing what's left of his former life.

Those are just what I can think of off the top of my head. So far I'm 30+ hours in, doing most of the content, there's been really good moments but nothing so far has matched the great moments from the last game. GoW 2018 was a very personal character driven story, and it's obvious that story was birthed from the creative spark Cory Barlog had. He wanted to tell a story of a father and son's journey and he focused on them the entire time. God of War: Ragnarok on the other hand not only has Cory stepping back from his Director and Writing role, but the story is bigger in scale, focusing more on the world, it's factions, and the upcoming war. Which that in itself is fine, and probably the direction I'd go in too, but the execution has left something to be desired.

Top Bottom