• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Godzilla |OT| Legendary

What about the entire Heisei era?

Godzilla 1985 is a direct sequel to the 1954 movie. And every movie from Godzilla 1985 through Godzilla vs Destroyah is a sequel.

hmmm watched those out of order due to which were available at the library.

think ill try to watch them again in order.

Sephzilla

That's why I prefer the MechaGodzilla movie from 1993. None of that bones nonsense. It's just a straight up military/war movie about fighting Godzilla.

I thought reverse engineering Mecha King Ghidorah into MechaGodzilla was a nice way to update the MechaGodzilla origin. It kept some of the futuristic/extraterrestrial vibe from the original MG while also making it a weapon to protect Japan.

Sephzilla

hmmm watched those out of order due to which were available at the library.

think ill try to watch them again in order.

Some of the movies directly reference each other.

Biollante was made from recovered Godzilla cells in Godzilla 1985. Godzilla is inactive in the Pacific at the start of Godzilla vs King Ghidorah due to the anti-nuclear bacteria from Vs Biollante. MechaGodzilla is made from the remnants of Mecha King Ghidorah. Space Godzilla's origin is theorized as either from Biollante cells or Godzilla cells carried into space from Mothra. Plus there are recurring characters in each movie.

The movies from the later half of the Heisei era are noticeably more stand-alone compared to the earlier half though.

I thought reverse engineering Mecha King Ghidorah into MechaGodzilla was a nice way to update the MechaGodzilla origin. It kept some of the futuristic/extraterrestrial vibe from the original MG while also making it a weapon to protect Japan.

Yeah. It made it a bit more realistic in explaining how they'd be able to construct this enormous robot thing that's far more advanced then anything else Japan has. And it was a global effort too... they had that one white scientist guy, and there was a blonde female pilot.

Shouta

well then the movie also for some reason decided to put the bones in a giant robot godzilla for some reason, and for some reason the bones gave it a 'soul' of som-

godzilla is a silly franchise.

It was to make it easier to construct a robot quickly. Still kind of silly of a concept but it set up something different in regards to Godzilla film storylines.

Sephzilla

Yeah. It made it a bit more realistic in explaining how they'd be able to construct this enormous robot thing that's far more advanced then anything else Japan has. And it was a global effort too... they had that one white scientist guy, and there was a blonde female pilot.

Yeah, the Kiryu MechaGodzilla is just comically sophisticated in comparison to the rest of the JSDF's defenses in that movie. Not to mention some of the primary weapons that version has could have been a lot better off as stand alone weapons.

strobogo

Banned
For the Showa Era, the best way to think about it is every movie is an alternate universe/time line unless otherwise directly stated.

Sephzilla

For the Showa Era, the best way to think about it is every movie is an alternate universe/time line unless otherwise directly stated.

I thought that was more Millenium Era than Showa? The Showa era films have a loose continuity to them, otherwise it's just pretty standalone. Millenium has straight up reboots every two or three films.

Mechagodzilla and King Ghidorah would have been such nature allies, especially in the Showa films where they were both usually controlled by aliens. Its a shame we never got to see that team up.

1970s version of MG and KG vs. Godzilla, Mothra and Anguirus? Would have made for a legit movie

Sephzilla

Mechagodzilla and King Ghidorah would have been such nature allies, especially in the Showa films where they were both usually controlled by aliens. Its a shame we never got to see that team up.

1970s version of MG and KG vs. Godzilla, Mothra and Anguirus?

Showa Era MG & KG would have been a god tier tag team. On that note, one of the earlier versions of Godzilla vs Space Godzilla had MechaGodzilla helping Godzilla instead of Moguera.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Yeah AVX. I didn't have anyone to go with, and my girlfriend doesn't like Godzilla...

That sucks. Well next time you have a movie you'd like to see and have no one to with, shoot me a PM. Wouldn't mind meeting new people :)

strobogo

Banned
I thought that was more Millenium Era than Showa? The Showa era films have a loose continuity to them, otherwise it's just pretty standalone. Millenium has straight up reboots every two or three films.

There was continuity between the Mecha movies and I guess the super kiddie ones. But I think at least 2 of the super kid ones were day dreams anyway. Milenium had Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla and Tokyo SOS in the same continuity, but nothing else was.

2/6 with continuity in the ME. 2/15 for the Showa era. There isn't even a loose continuity in the Showa Era. Every movie is its own thing.

Sephzilla

There was continuity between the Mecha movies and I guess the super kiddie ones. But I think at least 2 of the super kid ones were day dreams anyway. Milenium had Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla and Tokyo SOS in the same continuity, but nothing else was.

2/6 with continuity in the ME. 2/15 for the Showa era. There isn't even a loose continuity in the Showa Era. Every movie is its own thing.

1954 - Raids Again - & Vs King Kong all tie together. Raids Again is a direct sequel, and when they discover Godzilla at the start of King Kong he's in the same place he was left at the end of Raids Again. In Godzilla vs Monster Zero they reference the fact that Godzilla and Rodan have fought Ghidorah before. This is also brought up in Godzilla vs Gigan as well. Godzilla vs Megalon has to happen after Vs Gigan as well for obvious reasons. And the two MechaGodzilla movies are obviously connected.

The threads connecting the Showa era movies aren't anywhere close to as tightly wound as the Heisei era movies, but most of the Showa era movies do have at least an "order" to them.

Shouta

Also, Tokyo S.O.S. actually mentions the Showa Mothra movie. Trying to figure out where it connects is a headache.

Daingurse

Dat roar after Godzilla destroys Super X is the scariest Godzilla roar ever.

Godzilla felt legitamately malicious in that scene, less so than the rest of the movie where he is driven by unclear motives (force of nature) or biological needs (feeding off radiation). Hell I might watch it again when I get home, it is one of my favorite g-films ever.

Sephzilla

Godzilla felt legitamately malicious in that scene, less so than the rest of the movie where he is driven by unclear motives (force of nature) or biological needs (feeding off radiation). Hell I might watch it again when I get home, it is one of my favorite g-films ever.

In that movie he seems to act malicious towards things that straight up attack him. When he's just roaming and smashing through things he just seems like a creature.

I wish the rights weren't so so fucked for '85. I need a blu-ray, or hell, a dvd release.

85 is in my top 5 for G movies, maybe top 3. I wish the rights weren't so messed up. If you really want, you could try to snag one of the foreign DVDs.

Two days left.

I haven't been this excited for a movie in quite some time. I've already got my tickets booked, arranged which friends to go with (friends who know when to shut the hell up and enjoy a movie) and cleared enough time during the day to watch the movie at least twice.

It's going to be an epic day.

Toho did all the films. Heisei is an era.

The Showa era of Godzilla films were from 54-75.

The Heisei era was from 84-95.

The Millenium series was from 99-2004.

The names of the first two series are based on the era of Japanese history they were made in/who was the emperor of Japan at the time (well Godzilla 84 was made in the Showa era but since it's directly connected to the Heisei films it's grouped with them).

Well, thanks for informing me guys.

I can't believe I got so much wrong lol.

Shouta

Really? As in the Mothra solo movie and not Mothra vs Godzilla?

IIRR it references Godzilla vs Mothra / Godzilla vs The Thing

Specifically mentions Mothra rampaging through Tokyo and not so much about Godzilla trying to do something to the egg. It could be both but Mothra generally doesn't rampage through the city because she's the one saving everyone from Godzilla except in her solo movie. Also, the way Tokyo S.O.S. states it, it seems like Mothra didn't really like the humans at all and the solo movie would be a better indication of that.

Blader

I think Tokyo SOS had just referenced the solo Mothra, not the Godzilla one. There were a couple other random kaiju movies thrown in that continuity too, like War of the Gargantuas.

Shouta

Yeah, it referenced other solo movies as well.

Also, if oyu guys haven't seen it, watch Godzilla 1984 in Japanese. The uncut version is a really amazing film overall. Much better than the edited 1985 version.

Heroman

Banned
Specifically mentions Mothra rampaging through Tokyo and not so much about Godzilla trying to do something to the egg. It could be both but Mothra generally doesn't rampage through the city because she's the one saving everyone from Godzilla except in her solo movie. Also, the way Tokyo S.O.S. states it, it seems like Mothra didn't really like the humans at all and the solo movie would be a better indication of that.
It also reference war of the Gargantuas.

The hype has been somewhat killed for me with the characters being stated to be terrible even in the positive reviews and with limited Godzilla screen-time to fall back on I'm starting to get a little worried if this movie will be worth it. I'm still set to see it, but my anticipation has been lowered considerably.

strobogo

Banned
The hype has been somewhat killed for me with the characters being stated to be terrible even in the positive reviews and with limited Godzilla screen-time to fall back on I'm starting to get a little worried if this movie will be worth it. I'm still set to see it, but my anticipation has been lowered considerably.

Have you seen a Godzilla movie? If yes, then you know what to expect and if that is worth seeing in a theater. If no, then go watch a Godzilla movie and form your opinion on that. Just about every Godzilla movie is tolerable to terrible human story, then Godzilla fucking shit up.

watershed

Banned
holy moly, are you just trying to rub salt in the wound? :( we don't even have a DVD release in the states
Doesn't the 2 disc collector's edition have both the Japanese original and the Raymond Burr version? I watched that a while ago and the Japanese version didn't seem edited to me.

Have you seen a Godzilla movie? If yes, then you know what to expect and if that is worth seeing in a theater. If no, then go watch a Godzilla movie and form your opinion on that. Just about every Godzilla movie is tolerable to terrible human story, then Godzilla fucking shit up.

Yes, I've seen plenty was just hoping they'd be making the human element decent this time around since the human are getting most of the focus. I'm still seeing this regardless with somewhat tempered expectations.

has there ever been continuity as in godzilla blows up a city one movie, and it stays blown up in the next?

do they reuse sets from movie to movie? Surely they do? I guess it ain't that hard to rearrange buildings around lol

strobogo

Banned
Yes, I've seen plenty was just hoping they'd be making the human element decent this time around since the human are getting most of the focus. I'm still seeing this regardless with somewhat tempered expectations.

Humans get the most focus in almost every Godzilla movie. There are probably like 4 out of the entire 60 years that had more Godzilla than humans.

Heroman

Banned
has there ever been continuity as in godzilla blows up a city one movie, and it stays blown up in the next?

do they reuse sets from movie to movie? Surely they do? I guess it ain't that hard to rearrange buildings around lol
I think not.
Nope they build city for each movie.

Daingurse

Yeah, it referenced other solo movies as well.

Also, if oyu guys haven't seen it, watch Godzilla 1984 in Japanese. The uncut version is a really amazing film overall. Much better than the edited 1985 version.

I don't think I've seen the original, wouldn't be surprised if its better. Grew up with the Raymond Burr edits, so there is the nostalgia factor there. Need to check out the sub some time.

In Godzilla vs Biollante, I believe there was a memorial building with Godzilla's footprint, from the 84 attack.

Sephzilla

Japanese Gojira 1954 is superior, but I like the Raymond Burr edition as well. Bringing back Burr for the 1985 movie was a nice touch as well, I actually think he added a bit to the movie even if he was a bit senile.

Daingurse

Japanese Gojira 1954 is superior, but I like the Raymond Burr edition as well. Bringing back Burr for the 1985 movie was a nice touch as well, I actually think he added a bit to the movie even if he was a bit senile.

He basically was just there to tell the American's what Godzilla was about, lol. He served little actual purpose, but I enjoyed him anyway, especially with lines like this: "No matter what happens, Godzilla will live."

Top Bottom