• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Godzilla |OT| Legendary

Sephzilla

He basically was just there to tell the American's what Godzilla was about, lol. He served little actual purpose, but I enjoyed him anyway, especially with lines like this: "No matter what happens, Godzilla will live."

I just thought the Burr addition was a nice touch. Since Return of Godzilla was a sequel to Gojira, Godzilla 85 was a sequel to Godzilla: King of the Monsters. Burr's contribution to the film was definitely just telling American's what Godzilla was really about, but it was something that was needed considering most American's only knew Godzilla as the cuddly monster who fought other monsters and teamed with Jet Jaguar.

Thank god for cheap, used R2 discs. =x
really? It's been a while since i looked, but yeah I don't have a region free DVD player. A lot were bootlegs anyway

In a perfect world this wouldn't be a conversation, we should have this on blu ray with both versions included. Instead were talking about importing DVDs

Edit: found this, might need to check it out

Daingurse

I just thought the Burr addition was a nice touch. Since Return of Godzilla was a sequel to Gojira, Godzilla 85 was a sequel to Godzilla: King of the Monsters. Burr's contribution to the film was definitely just telling American's what Godzilla was really about, but it was something that was needed considering most American's only knew Godzilla as the cuddly monster who fought other monsters and teamed with Jet Jaguar.

Oh, I'd agree it was a nice touch. Made the King of Monsters very palatable as a child too, gave me a common link, because I probably saw 85 first.

Edit: lol I settled for a bootleg off Ebay HalfBaked Prophet, no regrets. However, I'd buy a Blu-ray in a fucking heartbeat.

Shouta

really? It's been a while since i looked, but yeah I don't have a region free DVD player. A lot were bootlegs anyway

In a perfect world this wouldn't be a conversation, we should have this on blu ray with both versions included. Instead were talking about importing DVDs

Edit: found this, might need to check it out

Region Free DVD players are easy to get our you can flash a DVD-drive and make it R2, then rip the movie.

Used R2s for Godzilla 1984 are like 20 bucks now? Maybe less

Region Free DVD players are easy to get our you can flash a DVD-drive and make it R2, then rip the movie.

Used R2s for Godzilla 1984 are like 20 bucks now? Maybe less
thanks, I'll look into it. Godzilla 1985 was definitely one of my favorite Godzilla films and the last I saw it was on VHS like 15 years ago. I'd love a to own Return of Godzilla if I can manage it
I wish I hadn't tossed out my 20+ year old VHS recording.
my mom sold my copy in a garage sale. I wasn't happy

bluray.jpg

I am all set for a Godzilla movie marathon.

Japanese Gojira 1954 is superior, but I like the Raymond Burr edition as well. Bringing back Burr for the 1985 movie was a nice touch as well, I actually think he added a bit to the movie even if he was a bit senile.

you lose 'something', but its still a fun watch to do back to back after the jp original. They did blend him in pretty well imo using doubles of the main cast.

Yes, I've seen plenty was just hoping they'd be making the human element decent this time around since the human are getting most of the focus. I'm still seeing this regardless with somewhat tempered expectations.
I've always seen Godzilla as the main character in these films with the humans being a certain perspective of his character. So if the humans are bland...not gonna bother too much. As long as the plot is interesting.

I've always seen Godzilla as the main character in these films with the humans being a certain perspective of his character. So if the humans are bland...not gonna bother too much. As long as the plot is interesting.

Just remember... "Maybe there's a little Godzilla… in all of us.”

Blader

thanks, I'll look into it. Godzilla 1985 was definitely one of my favorite Godzilla films and the last I saw it was on VHS like 15 years ago. I'd love a to own Return of Godzilla if I can manage itmy mom sold my copy in a garage sale. I wasn't happy

I have not even the slightest clue what my Mom did with my VHS's.

My parents moved into a smaller place last summer and my entire VHS collection ended up in a dumpster. A year later and I still haven't gotten over it. :lol
:(

Just got out. My phone is almost dead so i'll post my extended impressions when i get home, but big g is back. If you dont like this movie you just dont like godzilla movies in general

Just got out of this. I definitely liked it quite a bit! Not sure if I completely love it though. I'm still going back and forth. I'd probably say it's a 3.5/5 or a 4/5 at this point.

I don't mind that there's a long build up to Godzilla, and that in the grand scheme of things we don't see a ton of Godzilla. It's just that the human element we get in the lead-up isn't particularly strong or memorable. It's not bad, it's certainly serviceable, but I didn't connect with any character at all really. I also felt like there was a ton of instances of the main-character being at the right place at the right time that the believability was stretched a little thin.

However, when the big G is out in full-force in the last third of the movie, it's pretty incredible. Keeping the focus mostly with human characters really pays off and gives the Kaiju an incredible sense of scale. Seeing them wreck the city felt truly terrifying and called to mind 9/11 in a way that I felt wasn't exploitative or gross.

The way everything moves and behaves feels incredibly realistic and animalistic as well. Hats off to the animators on this film.

Overall, yeah I did enjoy the film quite a bit!

Just got out of this. I definitely liked it quite a bit! Not sure if I completely love it though. I'm still going back and forth. I'd probably say it's a 3.5/5 or a 4/5 at this point.

I don't mind that there's a long build up to Godzilla, and that in the grand scheme of things we don't see a ton of Godzilla. It's just that the human element we get in the lead-up isn't particularly strong or memorable. It's not bad, it's certainly serviceable, but I didn't connect with any character at all really. I also felt like there was a ton of instances of the main-character being at the right place at the right time that the believability was stretched a little thin.

However, when the big G is out in full-force in the last third of the movie, it's pretty incredible. Keeping the focus mostly with human characters really pays off and gives the Kaiju an incredible sense of scale. Seeing them wreck the city felt truly terrifying and called to mind 9/11 in a way that I felt wasn't exploitative or gross.

The way everything moves and behaves feels incredibly realistic and animalistic as well. Hats off to the animators on this film.

How's the
MUTO's
screentime do we at least see plenty of them when Godzilla isn't in the picture?

Prompto

Banned
Saw it today. Besides some minor problems, I thought it was very good. I didn't really like Aaron Taylor-Johnson's character in the movie though. He was pretty bland and generic and reminded me a lot of Brad Pitt in World War Z. Just always happened to conveniently be at the wrong place and time and
manage to survive everytime.
The film could have used more Bryan Cranston as well. Other than that it was really enjoyable. The crowd I was with seemed to enjoy it as well, particularly the last act.

Nakazato

After seeing this... American Kaju movies will be happening more often love this movie didn't like aaron character tho. The godzilla model grew on me to more I saw it. Going to see it again Saturday I think.

So good go see it worth the money.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
So... as good as Pacific Rim?

So... as good as Pacific Rim?

Honestly, I prefer it over Pacific Rim. Neither film are perfect, but I feel like even though Godzilla has less Kaiju action in it than Pacific Rim does, it packs a bigger punch.

I thought Pacific Rim was pretty average though.

Just got back as well. Echoing what others have said.

The big man had just about perfect screen time, and even when he isn't there you know he's there. The feeling the movie gives off with his presence is great.

Also, we had a special guest

pqjEXqY.jpg

Heroman

Banned
Just got back as well. Echoing what others have said.

The big man had just about perfect screen time, and even when he isn't there you know he's there. The feeling the movie gives off with his presence is great.

Also, we had a special guest

pqjEXqY.jpg

Was that at Atlantic station I was there to.
The King has return. This movie one of the greatest monster movie ever made.

Loved it, though I do have a little qualm: *Don't click - Majorish Monster behavior spoiler*
Godzilla wasn't the metaphorical force of (destructive) nature or as radiation-thirsty as I had thought he'd be... that role went to the MUTOs.
. But I appreciate that fact as well.

Saw it today. Besides some minor problems, I thought it was very good. I didn't really like Aaron Taylor-Johnson's character in the movie though. He was pretty bland and generic and reminded me a lot of Brad Pitt in World War Z. Just always happened to conveniently be at the wrong place and time and
manage to survive everytime.
The film could have used more Bryan Cranston as well. Other than that it was really enjoyable. The crowd I was with seemed to enjoy it as well, particularly the last act.

In Manchester, CT right? I was the guy that failed with "Say my name... You're Goddamnzilla right" haha. Great experience though, even if the 3D wasn't exactly prominent.

Was that at Atlantic station I was there to.
The King has return. This movie one of the greatest monster movie ever made.

Yea I was there.

Wasn't overly impressed with the "RPX" deal, I think Imax would be better.

I'll probably check it out at Arbor Place at their Imax. Been impressed everytime I went there.

So he's basically a third act brawler?

Personally, I would have opened with a decimating attack, moved on to human shit, our response mixed in with Muto crap, another attack, more human shit, then a full scale Apocalyptic ending.

the only godzilla films that felt like direct sequels were the 2 mellenium mecha godzilla and tokyo sos.

am i the only one that hate the movies with mothra and fairies and psychics? Godzilla is a goofy franchise but for some reason those elements makes it a bit too silly ;P

Nah man, I fucking can't stand Mothra. She's so damn lame.

Just got out of the movie a bit ago.

Pretty good movie. Not sure if I love it though. I think most of the problems I have with it are mainly due to the cast. Really didn't like anyone in the movie, except maybe Cranston. The rest of the movie is just terrific though.

Every scene with a Kaiju is just so fucking well done. They make Godzilla look and sound so powerful and you just can't help but cheer him on. They did him justice. It came out way better than I thought he would. You guys are sure to love it. It's just fucking perfect.

The movie would've been an A+ for me if it wasn't for everything else though :/

Anyone else not like the cast so much?

Also, 3D is ok. Like someone else said, it doesn't subtract or add to the movie...but if I were to watch it again, it would be in 3D.

Top Bottom