• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Godzilla |OT| Legendary

Faith

No joke, this is probably the most hyped I've ever been for a movie.
Haha me too and I don't even know why. It's also the first time I'm gonna watch a movie on it's first day when the cinema will be full.

I'm checking the reservation system every 30 minutes. I want to have the best seats :D

Sephzilla

Haha me too and I don't even know why. It's also the first time I'm gonna watch a movie on it's first day when the cinema will be full.

I'm checking the reservation system every 30 minutes. I want to have the best seats :D

I'm trying to find out if my local theater is doing a midnight showing of it.

Blablurn

tumblr_n5feybIcEQ1qkz6fjo1_500.jpg

Seeing this tonight, can't wait. Will be sure to post my (spoiler-free) feedback here!

Those of you also going tonight, how early are you planning on arriving? I was thinking 90 minutes early.

you lucky guy!
I'm looking forward to your impressions.

I'm seeing it Saturday, matinee. So excite.

Heroman

Banned
Seeing this tonight, can't wait. Will be sure to post my (spoiler-free) feedback here!

Those of you also going tonight, how early are you planning on arriving? I was thinking 90 minutes early.
That is way to early. I'm planing to get about 20 min early.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Tickets booked for Thursday night South Edmonton Common baby. I just want to go to bed and wake up day of. No need for the filler in between me and Godzilla.

It bears repeating. They did an awesome job in designing this new Godzilla. It looks insanely menacing

Especially with that image, you really see how much it invokes the original

haha was rewatching the original, love how the suit seems to have gotten all kind of wear and tear during filming and they didn't give a shit. godzilla got a lazy eye for a few scenes.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
It bears repeating. They did an awesome job in designing this new Godzilla. It looks insanely menacing

Especially with that image, you really see how much it invokes the original

How are the feet? Have you seen the movie, do they still look like Brachiosaurus feet?

Shouta

All the Showa era movies (Godzilla '54 - Terror of MechGodzilla) are directly in connection with each other, even if loosely, so you can watch them in straight order. Except for Destroy All Monsters, which takes place in 1999, so watch that one last I guess.

The Heisei era (Godzilla 1985 - Godzilla vs. Destoroyah) is a reboot in which all the movies are again directly in continuity with each other, but they take Godzilla '54 into account and ignore the other Showa movies. So it would go Godzilla '54, Godzilla 1985 - Godzilla vs. Destoroyah.

The third era, the Millennium series (Godzilla 2000 - Godzilla: Final Wars), is where things break down because each movie is independent of the others, except for the two MechaGodzilla movies. For each one, you can assume that no other movie is in continuity with the one you're watching except for Godzilla '54, so just watch them as standalones. The exception, again, is Godzilla Against MechaGodzilla and Godzilla: Tokyo SOS, the latter of which is the sequel to the former.

To be exact. Many of the Godzilla movies are connected to the original and/or connected to each other.

85, 2000, Megaguiras and GMK, and then the two Millennium Mechagdozillas were all connected to the original but nothing else. The two Millennium mechagodzillas were direct sequels to each other.

During Heisei, Biollante all the way up to Destroyah are connected to the original and then form their own singular storyline though some of the story gets a little funky because of the Heisei King Ghidorah movie, lol.

The Showa movies have a sliding scale of connected/not connected to them and honestly, I have a headache trying to figure that junk out sometimes.

didn't they retcon original godzilla's death a bit in millenium mechagodzilla?

im pretty sure the bones dissolved in the original, but i guess they didn't.

Shouta

didn't they retcon original godzilla's death a bit in millenium mechagodzilla?

im pretty sure the bones dissolved in the original, but i guess they didn't.

Nah. The original's Oxygen Destroyer disintegrated all flesh and left the bone around The fish scene shows the skeletons still alive. However, I think they did destroy of Godzilla in the original, so it's kind of a continuity error. Destroyah kept the same premise too. That sets up the millennium mechagodzilla movies perfectly.

I just had both on as background noise last night too. lol

Eteric Rice

I always thought they had killed Godzilla in 1954, but there was a second one, which is the one he fought with in S.O.S and what not.

Shouta

I always thought they had killed Godzilla in 1954, but there was a second one, which is the one he fought with in S.O.S and what not.

Correct. There was a second one in the Millennium Mechagodzillas.

In fact, they are almost always a second one or sometimes a 3rd Godzilla, lol.

Is there a Godzilla fans thread?

Might as well ask here if there isn't but where does the second Godzilla come from? If the OG one was detroyed by the Oxygen Destroyer than where does the second one come from? It must be a different Godzilla in Raids Again, 85 and the entire Millenium series right?

EDIT: Haha, didnt realized the same thing is being discussed above me .

tuffy

Is there a Godzilla fans thread?

Might as well ask here if there isn't but where does the second Godzilla come from? If the OG one was detroyed by the Oxygen Destroyer than where does the second one come from? It must be a different Godzilla in Raids Again, 85 and the entire Millenium series right?
Almost the very next scene after destroying Godzilla underwater, the slightly crazed biologist father asserts that he "couldn't have been the last of his kind" and that there were more Godzillas out there. So it opens the door for different ones.

Eteric Rice

Wonder how this movie could open up for other monsters if it gets a sequel?

Honestly, I think Baragon, Angilas, Rodan, Mothra, King Ghidorah (maybe) and a few others could be done rather well.

Shouta

They should save the famous Toho Monsters for a 3rd film, I think. If it makes it that far. =P

Use another original monster for a 2nd film, lol.

Heroman

Banned
They should save the famous Toho Monsters for a 3rd film, I think. If it makes it that far. =P

Nah, For the second film they should use a lesser monster like varan,Angilas orRodan. The third film should be about King Ghidorah.

That is way to early. I'm planing to get about 20 min early.

You think so? I know when I've gone to early screenings for other films, usually end of the year "prestige" films. It's been good to show up at least an hour early. I showed up an hour early for Captain Phillips and had to sit too close to the screen.

They overbook these advance screenings, so a pass isn't a guarantee to getting in.

Anybody know how much screen time Bryan Cranston has in this movie?

I thought he was just a supporting character but the trailers feature him heavily as if he's the star of the show. I'm assuming it's because of all the Breaking Bad hype...

Sephzilla

If they use a Toho monster for a sequel I kind of hope it's one of the lesser used villains like Biollante. Third film should definitely be MechaGodzilla or Ghidorah.

Heroman

Banned
You think so? I know when I've gone to early screenings for other films, usually end of the year "prestige" films. It's been good to show up at least an hour early. I showed up an hour early for Captain Phillips and had to sit too close to the screen.

They overbook these advance screenings, so a pass isn't a guarantee to getting in.

It depend on where it is. Where are you seeing the movie at if you don't mind.

I thought he was just a supporting character but the trailers feature him heavily as if he's the star of the show. I'm assuming it's because of all the Breaking Bad hype...

All of the scenes they've shown of him seem to be early on in the movie, so I think they might be overplaying it a bit.

okdakor

I'll quote myself :
Godzilla has more screentime than Cranston

The trailers make him look like the hero, but Aaron Taylor-Johnson is the real (human) one

What do you mean "easy buddy?" Wasn't trying to be confrontational, just saying that a quick research would show that any sort of continuity is all over the place.

Apologies then, It seemed like you were snubbing me a bit, but I must have just took it the wrong way. Its all good.

All the Showa era movies (Godzilla '54 - Terror of MechGodzilla) are directly in connection with each other, even if loosely, so you can watch them in straight order. Except for Destroy All Monsters, which takes place in 1999, so watch that one last I guess.

The Heisei era (Godzilla 1985 - Godzilla vs. Destoroyah) is a reboot in which all the movies are again directly in continuity with each other, but they take Godzilla '54 into account and ignore the other Showa movies. So it would go Godzilla '54, Godzilla 1985 - Godzilla vs. Destoroyah.

The third era, the Millennium series (Godzilla 2000 - Godzilla: Final Wars), is where things break down because each movie is independent of the others, except for the two MechaGodzilla movies. For each one, you can assume that no other movie is in continuity with the one you're watching except for Godzilla '54, so just watch them as standalones. The exception, again, is Godzilla Against MechaGodzilla and Godzilla: Tokyo SOS, the latter of which is the sequel to the former.

Thank you so much! This type of breakdown is the sort of stuff I was looking for. Most of the stuff I looked at online read more like some weird multi-timeline fan fic.

But there is no real timeline especially in the showa and 2000 era, outside of a few film none of them are related. Also don't watch Godzilla raid again it is terrible.

But Anguirus is my favorite! :(

Nah. The original's Oxygen Destroyer disintegrated all flesh and left the bone around The fish scene shows the skeletons still alive. However, I think they did destroy of Godzilla in the original, so it's kind of a continuity error. Destroyah kept the same premise too. That sets up the millennium mechagodzilla movies perfectly.

I just had both on as background noise last night too. lol

hmmm was watching it again last night (amazon prime subtitled one, so not sure if there were any edits) but im pretty sure you see godzilla's bones for a sec and then you don't. could be bad editing or i didn't pay close enough attention (was folding laundry)

Thanks, but isn't this just a list of movies by their release date? I don't think each of these movies are direct sequels to one another. Again I know its silly to look for a "timeline" in a movie with people in rubber suits dressed as monster fighting each other, but hey I'm a sucker for continuity.
I don't its worth getting too wrapped up in, but if you want a specific example of one of the little continuity quirks in the Showa era, in Destroy All Monsters (1968) King Ghidorah (spoilers for a 46 year old movie lol)
gets his ass beat and is killed
. Yet, he shows up just fine 4 years later in Godzilla vs. Gigan. Destroy All Monsters technically took place in the future (meaning late 20th century), so that let them get away with using King Ghidorah again in the Gigan film which is set in the present (meaning the 1970s).

Like others have said, Heisei is much better about having a consistent thread running through the films. Definitely watch them in order.
what this guy said, the release order is fine overall

the only godzilla films that felt like direct sequels were the 2 mellenium mecha godzilla and tokyo sos.

am i the only one that hate the movies with mothra and fairies and psychics? Godzilla is a goofy franchise but for some reason those elements makes it a bit too silly ;P

Shouta

hmmm was watching it again last night (amazon prime subtitled one, so not sure if there were any edits) but im pretty sure you see godzilla's bones for a sec and then you don't. could be bad editing or i didn't pay close enough attention (was folding laundry)

Pretty sure they did destroy the bones of Godzilla in the original '54 movie. But the Oxygen destroyer can just destroy all flesh as well. Could take it up to continuity error but I guess retcon would fit as well.

Pretty sure they did destroy the bones of Godzilla in the original '54 movie. But the Oxygen destroyer can just destroy all flesh as well. Could take it up to continuity error but I guess retcon would fit as well.

well then the movie also for some reason decided to put the bones in a giant robot godzilla for some reason, and for some reason the bones gave it a 'soul' of som-

godzilla is a silly franchise.

well then the movie also for some reason decided to put the bones in a giant robot godzilla for some reason, and for some reason the bones gave it a 'soul' of som-

godzilla is a silly franchise.

That's why I prefer the MechaGodzilla movie from 1993. None of that bones nonsense. It's just a straight up military/war movie about fighting Godzilla.

Top Bottom