• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Godzilla |OT| Legendary

antonz

Its funny how many don't get that this is a modern generations Godzilla '54. The Director repeatedly stated he was going for Godzilla '54 as far as movie and tone it should not be a surprise.

Its hilarious how universally hated GINO is but they keep running back to GINO as a style movie Godzilla is supposed to be

Blablurn

aG9qE70_460sa.gif

People need to rewatch the unadulterated, uncut 1954 original Heisei era film to understand what this film is trying to do.

While the Toho Production films are fun, they ruined the meaning and beauty of the Godzilla concept and turned the franchise into a monster battle/kaiju film series.

That's kinda impossible, since the Heisei era was from 1984-1995.

xkramz

Anyone has a HD photo of the city in the horizon and the paratroopers in the distant parachuting down with the red smoke?

okdakor

Saw the movie saturday, and it's a good Godzilla movie. Not enough Godzilla ? For me it was a smart way to build anticipation, keeping the audience waiting for more by teasing the big G. And when it's time for him to get down to business, everybody was cheering. Devin's review is spot on, the fights reminded me "man in suits" fights.

Gareth Edwards does it to keep us at street level too, 2 examples : the first fight starts :
you cut to another scene where you can see glimpses of the fight on a background TV
/ Another big fight is starting :
you can see the first hit, then the bunker's door is closed on you
... it's this kind of stuff, that irritates some reviewers. I didn't mind, I wanted to see more of course, but that's the point.

And there's humor too, it's not totally bleak.

That's kinda impossible, since the Heisei era was from 1984-1995.

What? I thought Heisei was the original production company for the first film and Toho did the rest?

I looked it up, you are right It was Toho that did the original 1954 film.

I AM ASHAMED OF MY CONFUSION. T_T

Bluth54

What? I thought Heisei was the original production company for the first film and Toho did the rest?

I looked it up, you are right It was Toho that did the original 1954 film.

I AM ASHAMED OF MY CONFUSION. T_T

The Showa era of Godzilla films were from 54-75.

The Heisei era was from 84-95.

The Millenium series was from 99-2004.

The names of the first two series are based on the era of Japanese history they were made in/who was the emperor of Japan at the time (well Godzilla 84 was made in the Showa era but since it's directly connected to the Heisei films it's grouped with them).

Blader

What? It is call Godzilla vs the Smog Monster or Godzilla vs Hedorah.

to be fair, with the amount of titles going around for some of these movies, I'm sure there's some VHS out there with "Godzilla vs. Swamp Monster" slapped on the front of the box. :lol

This might seem like a silly questions but is there any sort of reference for chronology for the Godzilla movies?

I really want to watch all the old ones, but I'm a stickler for watching things in order. I know there are some films that are reboots, some that are direct sequels, and some that are just stand alone films.

Anyone have any idea how these piece together at all?

I have the option of seeing this movie in regular 2D or IMAX 3D, which should I choose? I heard negative things about IMAX 3D.

in general or just for this film? Pretty much all projectors these days in IMAX are digital and this movie isn't filmed in IMAX, so it probably looks about as good as any 3D flick.

I do feel like IMAX is probably worth going for the audio though, especially for this movie.

This might seem like a silly questions but is there any sort of reference for chronology for the Godzilla movies?

I really want to watch all the old ones, but I'm a stickler for watching things in order. I know there are some films that are reboots, some that are direct sequels, and some that are just stand alone films.

Anyone have any idea how these piece together at all?

•Godzilla (1954)
•Godzilla Raids Again (1955)
•King Kong Vs. Godzilla (1962)
•Godzilla Vs. Mothra (1964)
•Ghidrah, the Three-Headed Monster (1964)
•Godzilla Vs. Monster Zero (1965)
•Godzilla Vs. the Sea Monster (1966)
•Son of Godzilla (1967)
•Destroy All Monsters (1968)
•Godzilla's Revenge (1969)
•Godzilla Vs. Hedorah (1971)
•Godzilla Vs. Gigan (1972)
•Godzilla Vs. Megalon (1973)
•Godzilla Vs. Mechagodzilla (1974)
•Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975)
•Godzilla 1985 (1985)
•Godzilla Vs. Biollante (1989)
•Godzilla Vs. King Ghidorah (1991)
•Godzilla & Mothra: The Battle for Earth (1992)
•Godzilla Vs. Mechagodzilla II (1993)
•Godzilla Vs. Spacegodzilla (1994)
•Godzilla Vs. Destoroyah (1995)
•Godzilla (1998)
•Godzilla 2000: Millennium (2000)
•Godzilla Vs. Megaguirus (2000)
•Godzilla, Mothra, King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack (2001)
•Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla (2002)
•Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S. (2003)
•Godzilla: Final Wars (2004)

in general or just for this film? Pretty much all projectors these days in IMAX are digital and this movie isn't filmed in IMAX, so it probably looks about as good as any 3D flick.

I do feel like IMAX is probably worth going for the audio though, especially for this movie.

I heard negative things about IMAX 3D in general. And I'm worried because I wear glasses that having the 3D glasses on will mess up me viewing the movie plus I don't want the colors to be distorted. I really don't know what is the best option for seeing this movie. I wish there was just regular IMAX for it.

I heard negative things about IMAX 3D in general. And I'm worried because I wear glasses that having the 3D glasses on will mess up me viewing the movie plus I don't want the colors to be distorted. I really don't know what is the best option for seeing this movie. I wish there was just regular IMAX for it.

its a bit tricky to get imax glasses on glasses but its doable. color is about 25% darker.

you could always watch it twice!

Godzilla List

Thanks, but isn't this just a list of movies by their release date? I don't think each of these movies are direct sequels to one another. Again I know its silly to look for a "timeline" in a movie with people in rubber suits dressed as monster fighting each other, but hey I'm a sucker for continuity.

Thanks, but isn't this just a list of movies by their release date? I don't think each of these movies are direct sequels to one another. Again I know its silly to look for a "timeline" in a movie with people in rubber suits dressed as monster fighting each other, but hey I'm a sucker for continuity.
If you knew anything about Godzilla films, you'd know that there's hardly any continuity between them.

If you knew anything about Godzilla films, you'd know that there's hardly any continuity between them.

LOL easy buddy. The "hardly any" is exactly why I'm asking. Obviously I know most of them don't relate hence why I said:
I know there are some films that are reboots, some that are direct sequels, and some that are just stand alone films.

I'm just curious about any links between films that I will catch that will make it more enjoyable to watch in a certain order.

Showa era is Godzilla 54 to Terror of Mechagodzilla, then Heisei era has it's own continuity (but acts as a sequel to 54) from Godzilla 1985 to Godzilla vs Destroyah, then there's the 98 Emmerich one that's unrelated, then there's the millennium era, Godzilla 2000 to final wars, that is like Heisei in that it's has it's own continuity from the others but I believe Godzilla 2000 has a connection to 54. An then there's the new Godzilla, which once again uses the 54 movie as the start of its chronology but is unrelated to any of the other films.

So basically there are 3 big eras of Godzilla movies that have their own continuities, but all like back to godzilla 54. And then one stand alone movie (Godzilla 98), and then the new film that could be the start of a new Godzilla era and is also a sequel to 54.

So no matter what you watch, start with 54.

Heroman

Banned

There is a timeline to some of the movie.the 70s mechgodillzas are sequal to one another. The 90 series happen in chronology order. The one thing that stay constant is that the gojra is the first the Godzilla the rest are different ones.

Showa era is Godzilla 54 to Terror of Mechagodzilla, then Heisei era has it's own continuity (but acts as a sequel to 54) from Godzilla 1985 to Godzilla vs Destroyah, then there's the 98 Emmerich one that's unrelated, then there's the millennium era, Godzilla 2000 to final wars, that is like Heisei in that it's has it's own continuity from the others but I believe Godzilla 2000 has a connection to 54. An then there's the new Godzilla, which once again uses the 54 movie as the start of its chronology but is unrelated to any of the other films.

So basically there are 3 big eras of Godzilla movies that have their own continuities, but all like back to godzilla 54. And then one stand alone movie (Godzilla 98), and then the new film that could be the start of a new Godzilla era and is also a sequel to 54.

So no matter what you watch, start with 54.

Excellent! Thank you this is exactly what I was looking for. I started with '54 and then Raids Again/Gigantis so guess I'm doing the Showa era first.

LOL easy buddy. The "hardly any" is exactly why I'm asking. Obviously I know most of them don't relate hence why I said:
What do you mean "easy buddy?" Wasn't trying to be confrontational, just saying that a quick research would show that any sort of continuity is all over the place.

sphagnum

Banned

All the Showa era movies (Godzilla '54 - Terror of MechGodzilla) are directly in connection with each other, even if loosely, so you can watch them in straight order. Except for Destroy All Monsters, which takes place in 1999, so watch that one last I guess.

The Heisei era (Godzilla 1985 - Godzilla vs. Destoroyah) is a reboot in which all the movies are again directly in continuity with each other, but they take Godzilla '54 into account and ignore the other Showa movies. So it would go Godzilla '54, Godzilla 1985 - Godzilla vs. Destoroyah.

The third era, the Millennium series (Godzilla 2000 - Godzilla: Final Wars), is where things break down because each movie is independent of the others, except for the two MechaGodzilla movies. For each one, you can assume that no other movie is in continuity with the one you're watching except for Godzilla '54, so just watch them as standalones. The exception, again, is Godzilla Against MechaGodzilla and Godzilla: Tokyo SOS, the latter of which is the sequel to the former.

Heroman

Banned
Excellent! Thank you this is exactly what I was looking for. I started with '54 and then Raids Again/Gigantis so guess I'm doing the Showa era first.

But there is no real timeline especially in the showa and 2000 era, outside of a few film none of them are related. Also don't watch Godzilla raid again it is terrible.

I'm just curious about any links between films that I will catch that will make it more enjoyable to watch in a certain order.

Honestly, It doesn't really matter. It's not like you would be lost if you didn't go in order.
:)

All the Showa era movies (Godzilla '54 - Terror of MechGodzilla) are directly in connection with each other, even if loosely, so you can watch them in straight order. Except for Destroy All Monsters, which takes place in 1999, so watch that one last I guess.

The Heisei era (Godzilla 1985 - Godzilla vs. Destoroyah) is a reboot in which all the movies are again directly in continuity with each other, but they take Godzilla '54 into account and ignore the other Showa movies. So it would go Godzilla '54, Godzilla 1985 - Godzilla vs. Destoroyah.

The third era, the Millennium series (Godzilla 2000 - Godzilla: Final Wars), is where things break down because each movie is independent of the others, except for the two MechaGodzilla movies. For each one, you can assume that no other movie is in continuity with the one you're watching except for Godzilla '54, so just watch them as standalones. The exception, again, is Godzilla Against MechaGodzilla and Godzilla: Tokyo SOS, the latter of which is the sequel to the former.

was godzilla 2000 the jr of destroyah?

sphagnum

Banned
was godzilla 2000 the jr of destroyah?

Nope, it's a complete reboot that ignores the Heisei era and just takes place after Godzilla '54.

Oh yeah, forgot one other thing. Godzilla, Mothra, King Ghidorah (one of the Millennium movies) kind of sort of takes place in the same timeline as Godzilla 1998, if only for the purpose of a joke.

Seeing this tonight, can't wait. Will be sure to post my (spoiler-free) feedback here!

Those of you also going tonight, how early are you planning on arriving? I was thinking 90 minutes early.

Top Bottom