• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Godzilla |OT| Legendary

Citizen Kane does not have the monopoly on seriousness or drama.

and I'm pretty sure there was a lot more wrong with 98 Godzilla and King Kong than their tone.

Not the point. Those two films took themselves too seriously. There were garbage. I'm convinced there is a strong correlation there. Will the new Godzilla be garbage? Only time will tell.

Oersted

Worrying how? The reality is the bar is pretty fucking low. When 90% of summer movie blockbusters are mindless schlock, being not schlock makes your movie notable.

By the way, the RT score is at 88% just in case you were worried about it ;)

How is that worrying? He just said the movie is a well-paced atmospheric film. I'd take that over a non-stop explosion fest any day

What's wrong with what he said?

Well paced action is good, but that is a sheer technical excercise. Really good action has an impact, a meaning. It doesn't exist for its own sake.
The original Godzilla was that.

Blader

Not the point. Those two films took themselves too seriously. There were garbage. I'm convinced there is a strong correlation there. Will the new Godzilla be garbage? Only time will tell.

um, I'll dictate what point I do or don't try to make, but thanks anyway.

A more light-hearted tone wouldn't have salvaged Godzilla '98's acting and story decisions, or King Kong's self-indulgent length and Jack Black performance. There are plenty of other areas where these movies failed that their tone is kind of irrelevant by comparison. You don't have to try and convince yourself of some correlation between x and y when you could just break it down yourself.

strobogo

Banned
Godzilla 1998 is pretty light in tone and comical through out the majority of the movie. Are people now pretending that it was a serious movie?

Experien

It was just ok. They attempted this slow burn, a slow release to show Godzilla but if you watch TV at night, the FIAT commercials and all the trailers show off Godzilla already.

Too much focus on the human angle and pointless scenes that should've been edited out. But there is a good Godzilla fight at the end.

B33

Banned
I caught a "FAUX-IMAX" 3D showing last night. Overall, I liked it. It excels past Godzilla (1998) by far and re-introduces the character in a relatively "plausible" and entertaining way.

Thoughts (be warned, marked spoilers below):

• The design of Godzilla is fantastic. He's fierce and emotive, and steals every scene he's in. Even when he's not on screen his presence is still known in subtle and not-so-subtle ways. His movements and look hark back to the original character yet still feel fresh. If Final Wars didn't wipe Zilla from existence, this surely will.

• Much like "Monsters," this movie takes a decidedly human approach to showing the carnage and chaos.
    Godzilla chooses to withhold the creature in his full glory until after a fair portion of the picture. It's definitely a slow build up, but it does pay off.

• The action set pieces are strong across the board. Its focus is primarily on the humans, but it doesn't forget to give the audience some great views of the monsters. I feel the special effects work is strong, including the sound, VFX, sets, and so forth. Edwards and company set up and execute on many compelling moments between the creatures and humans.

• Aside from Bryan Cranston's role, the characters feel perfunctory–serviceable to the plot, but still lacking. It works on the surface level and at least gets us invested in what's happening beyond, "HERE ARE MONSTERS AND HERE ARE EXPLOSIONS!".
    Aaron Taylor-Johnson's character really is the protagonist and while the film gives him a personal reason for being involved, I feel Cranston's character is more compelling (and he's not in the picture for long).

• The MUTOS
    most assuredly have more screentime than Godzilla. They're the central antagonists and Godzilla is a neutral force of "nature" attempting to correct this chaotic imbalance. The first part of the film is primarily setting up the MUTOS origin and establishing the mythos of Godzilla. I'm fine with their motivations and feel they fit within the themes of the picture.

• The middle of the film could have used some trimming. Despite the engaging moments between the humans and MUTOS, they could have been pared down without hurting the quality of the movie.

• The last act is
    a major brawl between Godzilla and the MUTOS while Johnson's character and a military outfit attempt to defuse a nuclear warhead powered by an analog detonator. It leads to one of the best things I've yet to see in a summer blockbuster: Godzilla spewing his atomic breath down the gullet of a MUTO. That brought me back to watching old monster movies as a child.

• The chief complaint amongst audiences will probably be, "NOT ENOUGH GODZILLA," but I'd rather be left wanting more. The comparisons to JAWS are fairly apt. This is a film about more than just its titular character.

Legendary, Gareth Edwards, and company have pulled it off: The King of Monsters is back. The movie is still blockbuster fare and has its faults, but it excels by taking an inspired and stylistic direction with how it unfolds. I'd recommend it.

Wow. I have never seen an audience display such outwardly displays of hype like I did last night. I really loved the third act of the film and Cranston was really great too. The main characters could have been better but it was still much better than Pacific Rim.

Currently working on a little fanart for a contest.
I'll probably upload the design on Qwertee when it's done, even if all my designs didn't really got that much attention there. :V

Please keep in mind it's still a WIP, and details, colors and even important stuff (most of all Godzilla's back) need from some to a lot more work.
But i do still appreciate the feedback guys!

Schermata2014-05-13alle150355_zps15a8bdf0.png

On a side note, i booked a ticket for the premiere showing at the best movie theater in the north of Italy, i seriously cannot fucking wait for this.

Amazing! Great job!

B33

Banned
Any more impressions on
the atomic breath?
Was it what you expected? Worse? Better? Can't wait to see the film!!

For lack of a more eloquent description: It's goddamn awesome. It looks great and excelled past my expectations. The reveal got quite a vocal reaction from the audience I saw it with.

Draconian

I wish we got early preview screenings where I live. The only one I can recall in recent memory was for The Help, which I had no interest in seeing at all.

Dave_6

I've got the Criterion release of the original on Blu-ray. Are any of the others that were released last week worth buying? I've got Godzilla fever here lately.

Heroman

Banned
For lack of a more eloquent description: It's goddamn awesome. It looks great and excelled past my expectations. The reveal got quite a vocal reaction from the audience I saw it with.

I like that it was a mixture of the old breath atomic breath from gojra and the beam ones from the 90/2000s movies.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I wouldn't say that Godzilla 98 took itself particularly seriously and even just comparing it against King Kong, there was a significant difference in seriousness between those two movies.

Personally, I think the failures of those two movies are very different. G98 plays for laughs as much as possible, it just doesn't do a very good job at it, while KK actually handles a serious tone very well but suffers from Jackson's pathological desire to linger on and embellish every scene to the point that they become overwrought.

B33

Banned
I like that it was a mixture of the old breath atomic breath from gojra and the beam ones from the 90/2000s movies.

Agreed! It harks back to both eras and still looks great. I dig that it's held off until the last battle as a reveal. Him spewing it down the gullet of a MUTO, then ripping its head off really is an iconic moment.

Shouta

That and Final Wars are just terrible. GMK has all the terrible CGI and random, dramatic character shifts.

Got just about all that was checked in. Some wise person in my city has almost all the Heisei movies checked out, but here is what I picked up:

Godzilla (Criterion, includes new HD digital transfers of both Gojira and King of the Monsters, plus a bunch of bonus stuff)
Vs Hedorah (which was my favorite as a kid and the whole movie is extremely giffable)
Vs King Ghidorah/And Mothra The Battle For Earth double feature
Vs Megaguirus (which I forgot was Millienum)
Against MechaGodzilla/Tokyo SOS (the only two Millienum movies worth a shit)

Movies I left on the shelf: Raids, 2000, Final Wars, GMK,.

Movies I wish had been on the shelf: Returns-Destroyah, OG Mothra, both Showa Mecha movies.

But I also got Gamera The Brave, which will be my first Gamera movie. I was hoping they'd have the Mothra solo movies if they had Gamera, but they don't carry them.

GMK was awesome. Final Wars was a bit dumb but great action.

Also,Gamera the Brave is not a great choice for a first one. If you want to watch a good, modern version, watch the Heisei series which is amazing.

B33

Banned
I wouldn't say that Godzilla 98 took itself particularly seriously and even just comparing it against King Kong, there was a significant difference in seriousness between those two movies.

Personally, I think the failures of those two movies are very different. G98 plays for laughs as much as possible, it just doesn't do a very good job at it, while KK actually handles a serious tone very well but suffers from Jackson's pathological desire to linger on and embellish every scene to the point that they become overwrought.

This is a really apt description of the two. I think Jackson's King Kong captures the spirit and tone of the original, but fails in its embellishment and protraction of the source material.

Godzilla (1998) isn't Godzilla. It took a lot of liberties for the worse. It also feels incredibly derivative of the Jurassic Park films. Toho's retcon of the creature in Final Wars is really fitting.

Blablurn

This is a really apt description of the two. I think Jackson's King Kong captures the spirit and tone of the original, but fails in its embellishment and protraction of the source material.

Godzilla (1998) isn't Godzilla. It took a lot of liberties for the worse. It also feels incredibly derivative of the Jurassic Park films. Toho's retcon of the creature in Final Wars is really fitting.

I still liked it when I was a kid :/ Of course later on I realized how crappy it was. But it's not like I'm changing the channel when I see it haha.

strobogo

Banned
GMK was awesome. Final Wars was a bit dumb but great action.

Also,Gamera the Brave is not a great choice for a first one. If you want to watch a good, modern version, watch the Heisei series which is amazing.

That's the only Gamera movie they had.

RomCom Godzilla Poster:
The burning backdrop made me laugh. Why the fuck do posters for romcoms always have that there?

JENNIFER ANISTON IS A MIDDLE AGED SINGLE WOMEN IN THE BIG CITY, JUST LIKE YOU! LITTLE DID SHE KNOW HER WHOLE LIFE WAS ABOUT TO CHANGE...WHEN A 30,000 FT TALL MONSTER WAS ABOUT TO COME CRASHING THROUGH HER FRONT DOOR.

Bridzilla. Rated PG-13 for adult situations, whatever the fuck that even means. Out now.

B33

Banned
does godzilla die in the end?

me watching depends on this

(Major spoilers for the ending inbound)

Short answer:
No, but we're led to believe as much.

Long answer:
He collapses, and seemingly perishes from the injuries he sustains from the military and the MUTOS. Some time passes, and during the cleanup process, he snorts, opens his eyes, and stands up. Wounded, he makes his way to the water. Before swimming away, he lets out a roar. The news outlets refer to him as "The King of Monsters." His spikes go below the depths just as he passes the San Francisco Bridge, and the credits roll.

Shouta

That's the only Gamera movie they had.

Yeowch. I mean I like Gamera the Brave but it's not a movie indicative of Gamera in general. It's more of a family friendly/kid friendly film featuring Gamera than a a Kaiju film. The focus is more on the kids and in a Disney movie sense in many regards.

I'd recommend just getting the Blurays for the Heisei Gamera in that case. They're ridiculously cheap and good movies. There's a Triple feature set with all 3 of them for 9 dollars on Amazon, lol. Free shipping is possible too for the usual 35 and over orders.

It's TOTALLY worth it. I paid 15 all 3 separately and they were worth every penny. They look really good too.

I caught a "FAUX-IMAX" 3D showing last night. Overall, I liked it. It excels past Godzilla (1998) by far and re-introduces the character in a relatively "plausible" and entertaining way.

Thoughts (be warned, marked spoilers below):

how is the imax 3d experience?

the movie is standard film aspect ratio so its definitely not gonna take advantage of the tall screen, but the audio mix should be fantastic there.

B33

Banned
How is the 3D? Pass or go?

It's fine.

The 3D adds some depth for a few key moments, but I don't think it's absolutely necessary. On a spectrum with Clash of the Titans on one end (horrid) and Avatar on the other (exemplary), I'd put Godzilla's 3D in the middle, perhaps skewed a bit more to the latter part.

how is the imax 3d experience?

the movie is standard film aspect ratio so its definitely not gonna take advantage of the tall screen, but the audio mix should be fantastic there.

Seeing it on a large screen with a high quality sound system would be the only incentive for watching it in 3D. The audio work is superb and it really shined during my screening.

Currently working on a little fanart for a contest.
I'll probably upload the design on Qwertee when it's done, even if all my designs didn't really got that much attention there. :V

Please keep in mind it's still a WIP, and details, colors and even important stuff (most of all Godzilla's back) need from some to a lot more work.
But i do still appreciate the feedback guys!

Schermata2014-05-13alle150355_zps15a8bdf0.png

On a side note, i booked a ticket for the premiere showing at the best movie theater in the north of Italy, i seriously cannot fucking wait for this.

I would buy a print of this and hang it in my room as well, looks fantastic.

Grakl

(Major spoilers for the ending inbound)

Short answer:
No, but we're led to believe as much.

Long answer:
He collapses, and seemingly perishes from the injuries he sustains from the military and the MUTOS. Some time passes, and during the cleanup process, he snorts, opens his eyes, and stands up. Wounded, he makes his way to the water. Before swimming away, he lets out a roar. The news outlets refer to him as "The King of Monsters." His spikes go below the depths just as he passes the San Francisco Bridge, and the credits roll.

aight, thanks for letting me know

Kimawolf

Didn't Godzilla team up with Ultraman for a movie? And people who have Seen it, would a sequel be justified? And what monster should be in it?

I'd hope Mecha-Godzilla and the Three headed monster. He always gave Godzilla some trouble.

And
Is Godzilla son Godzuki on this movie?

Snaku

Banned
Didn't Godzilla team up with Ultraman for a movie? And people who have Seen it, would a sequel be justified? And what monster should be in it?

I'd hope Mecha-Godzilla and the Three headed monster. He always gave Godzilla some trouble.

And
Is Godzilla son Godzuki on this movie?

No, he teamed up with an Ultraman inspired robot named Jet Jaguar in Godzilla vs Megalon. However, Godzilla was featured in the original Ultraman tv series as a monster called Jirass. They took a Godzilla suit, gave it yellow highlights, and attached a neck frill to it, but nobody was really fooled.

M0n1EUP.jpg

Top Bottom