• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Godzilla |OT| Legendary

Kusano123

Neo Member
I just thought to myself that watching Godzilla on IMAX would be the most logical thing to do.

So is it worth the IMAX experience?

94 version just looks like a platypus crossed with the Monster from the Black Lagoon.
godzillastanwinston2.jpg

I've seen two different version's with a different paint job and I think this one helps it a lot. It's different than the Japanese version but close enough that you can tell it's Godzilla.

I also have the screenplay's for both American movies that were never made if anyone wants them posted.

MegalonJJ

Banned
I think the Stan Winston one is interesting. I don't have the skills but here's a quick and dirty black and white version (just to see it outside of the light green skin colour)

VmsFi5Z.jpg

'94 Godzilla is boss and would have been a worthy successor to the franchise. I don't even hate GINO all that much really, mostly due to fond memories of the animated series.

Eteric Rice

I'd agree. And Final Wars is good fun too. The rest are unremarkable.

I enjoyed the MechaGodzilla movies... Because, well... MechaGodzilla.

But yeah, the rest kind of sucked. GMK reminded me of the 70s movies, but instead of a campy Godzilla, GMK's Godzilla is the most menacing they'd ever made. Those fucking eyes, man.

- J - D -

Man, some of these alternate concept Godzilla 2014 designs are weird. Makes me happy we landed with what we have today.

edits: woops. Forgot, not allowed. But the point is that the Godzilla 2014 art book has a bunch of scrapped G designs.

RT summary is up: "With just enough human drama to anchor the sweeping spectacle of giant monsters smashing everything in sight, Gareth Edwards' Godzilla satisfyingly restores the franchise's fire-breathing glory."

Blader

But yeah, the rest kind of sucked. GMK reminded me of the 70s movies, but instead of a campy Godzilla, GMK's Godzilla is the most menacing they'd ever made. Those fucking eyes, man.

I really liked the two Kiryu movies, they're some of my favorites in the franchise. The rest of the Millennium movies were bad, though. GMK was super disappointing but maybe I shouldn't have listened to so much hype for it beforehand.

Back from an advanced screening. Movie is easily one of the top tier G movies for sure, and one of the better overall summer blockbusters I've seen in a while. The entire third act is especially insane; whole audience went nuts during the final battle.

Can't wait to see it again this weekend with a big group of friends!

Blablurn

He was in that Christmas movie.

Without checking IMDB I would say Inspector Gadget was the last movie he did. No idea what Christmas movie you're talking about :D

Back from an advanced screening. Movie is easily one of the top tier G movies for sure, and one of the better overall summer blockbusters I've seen in a while. The entire third act is especially insane; whole audience went nuts during the final battle.

Can't wait to see it again this weekend with a big group of friends!

YES! That sounds awesome. I hope I'll experience the same crowd reaction tonight.

Toxi

Banned
I didn't like Monsters much; most of that was because the two main characters' chemistry felt awful and out of place with the more interesting world around them.

MrDenny

Just got back from watching it.
The timing of events felt a little off, but its a movie, cant be too nitpicky.
Really liked the the movie and would recommend go seeing it.

Spoilers:
Anyone else thought the father should of been the main character throughout the film and not the son?
Seeing the kid, then seeing him 15 years later felt a little off timeline wise.
Also a little nitpicky, but there was only 27 mins left, but somehow he made it to the boat with time to spare.

Just saw it. Pretty cool. Some nice homage-y bits. Godzilla was awesome in the small percentage he was in. The other two monsters got way more screen time.

He looked like Grumpy Cat when he first turned up. I laughed.

Bluth54

Yeah I really liked the MechaGodzilla movies too. I'm probably a bit biased though because the GxM Godzilla design is my favorite Godzilla design (I liked the base Godzilla 2000 design but the fact they made his spines silver again and made his atomic ray blue again put the design over the top for me).

I almost forgot... One thing I just don't understand is just wtf happened during
the train sequence. Those were Godzilla's spines, no? It just all of a sudden cuts to Godzilla disappearing into the ocean as if he was miles away. Bad editing or am I missing something?

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I've booked tickets to see it on Saturday night. Now to avoid this thread completely until then...

I'm asking a question, why are you so worried? I'm not turning this into a pissing contest of who the bigger fan is. Youve been critical of the CGI too, I'm trying to understand your perspective because you seem pretty wound up for a movie you may or may not even see.

I like good movies. I'm afraid this won't be a good movie. Make sense?

The only thing I said about the CGI was that one scene. The fireball looked weird.

Fun
or sad
fact.

Those two got married afterwards in real life.

haha what? they had absolutely no chemistry. wasn't there not even a script? and the actors were forced to come up with their own dialogue? and the white guys just says "I don't know" like at the end of every scene?

Experien

Guys, IMAX 3D or just avoid 3D altogether?

I saw it in IMAX 3D and it was pointless. There is no 3D besides the opening credits (which were cool but not THAT cool). I don't think they are showing it in IMAX 2D but it wasn't filmed in IMAX so doesn't matter.

Heck, if you need a BIG screen, just find a big theater and sit closer to it.

Sephzilla

The two MechaGodzilla movies and Final Wars are the best of the Millenium series, by far. I'm kind of fond of Godzilla 2000 as well though.

Surprisingly enough, I'm not very fond of GMK Godzilla. The white eyes look just doesn't do it for me. 85 Godzilla is still the scariest Godzilla IMO

returnofgodzilla07.jpg

Corpsepyre

Banned
Roger Moore
McClatchy-Tribune News Service

Kid friendly. Ponderous. Tedious. Humorless.

Full Review Source: McClatchy-Tribune News Service | Original Score: 2/4

---

I believe this fucker said the same about MoS. HUMORLESS! *shoots self*

The christmas movie with Broderick you guys are talking about was filmed where I lived in Cloverdale, BC. I can't remember the extact name, but it co-starred Danny Devito and it wwas essentially two neighbours fighting about christmas decorations.

Also, what happened to Brodericks female costar from Godzilla??

Top Bottom