• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Godzilla |OT| Legendary

Mdk7

Schermata2014-05-13alle150355_zps15a8bdf0.png

you can probably recolor the water and tilt it and its the gaf logo kinda.

should be the gaf logo for a week at least ;)

ahahah, i'd totally be up for it! :D

From some of the reviews on rottentomatoes, I'm surprised to see a lot of critics disappointed there wasn't more human drama. That's usually the worst part in these types of movies. And it sounds like what human drama they do have in there is pretty bad. That coupled with how serious this film is trying to be worries me.
I'll probably check the film out this weekend...
Not the point. Those two films took themselves too seriously. There were garbage. I'm convinced there is a strong correlation there. Will the new Godzilla be garbage? Only time will tell.
you're the one who's never seen a Godzilla movie, right?
1998 doesn't count

Why are you so worried about a film you might see? If you have no attachment to the series, the biggest stake for you is being out 7 or 8 bucks for seeing a movie that wasn't your thing. Chill out

Corpsepyre

Banned
Movie is now at 90% on RT. o_O

RT has one heavily flawed ratings system. An average score, at times, ends up being a negative or a positive. If one person reviews a movie, his 7/10 is considered either a 100 % rating, or even a 0 % rating if RT somehow manages to term it a Rotten score (which they have in the past). I wouldn't put too much stock in this website if I were you. A lot of the scores there on RT right now are good to average, but NOT first rate 5/5 scores.

you're the one who's never seen a Godzilla movie, right?
1998 doesn't count

Why are you so worried about a film you might see? If you have no attachment to the series, the biggest stake for you is being out 7 or 8 bucks for seeing a movie that wasn't your thing. Chill out

Dude, calm down. That is what people do on message boards. They discuss things, films included, and films they haven't even seen. Maybe I'm not as big a Godzilla fan as you are, but I am a fan of film, and they're not mutually exclusive. Is that okay?

RT has one heavily flawed ratings system. An average score, at times, ends up being a negative or a positive. If one person reviews a movie, his 7/10 is considered either a 100 % rating, or even a 0 % rating if RT somehow manages to term it a Rotten score (which they have in the past). I wouldn't put too much stock in this website if I were you. A lot of the scores there on RT right now are good to average, but NOT first rate 5/5 scores.
I do want to RT score to be high to help generate buzz. I assume the other posters watching it are the same way.

We aren't so deluded to think the RT score is an definitive measure of a movies quality.

you don't think RT affects WOM? Work with me here

Not outside of people bullshitting on messageboards, nah :)

Rottenwatching is more often than not a giant waste of time.

So far as the early returns I'm seeing in this thread - not at all surprised the most common complaint is that the human characters aren't all that well drawn or interesting. It was the ENTIRE problem with Edwards' Monsters, too. Unfortunately for that film, he couldn't afford 30 or 40 minutes worth of monsterfighting. Luckily for us, Godzilla won't have that problem. :)

Toa TAK

Banned
Incredibly jealous of you guys who saw it already. Got to wait for Thursday night for me.

Rottenwatching is more often than not a giant waste of time.

Don't say that, it's serious business 'round these here parts.

Id say my empirical evidence disagrees but I really don't have any.

But really, I think you should go back and watch Monsters. You know now it has almost nothing to do with actual monsters, its more of a vacation movie with occasion land squids. But its GOOD, just give it a chance

But really, I think you should go back and watch Monsters. You know now it has almost nothing to do with actual monsters, its more of a vacation movie with occasion land squids. But its GOOD, just give it a chance

Nah, I gave it plenty of chance in the first place. My problem is entirely with the lack of characterization and bad acting on display. Edwards stranded his actors in some well designed atmosphere. It sounds like he might have done the same thing, but to a much lesser extent, in Godzilla.

Hopefully that small consensus in this thread is somewhat off-base. I'd like it to be so. But his earlier film doesn't give me much confidence.

I do have confidence in his ability to make this thing look beautiful, though.

I was thinking about this movie today at work and the criticisms of *human character discussion*
Aaron Taylor-Johnson's character
. I can honestly say that I don't agree with much that has been said.
I think that what we witness of him throughout the film is him evoking the same thought process of his father, only he handles it in a militaristic sense, as that's what he knows, as opposed to a scientific sense like his father.
. I'm keeping the spoilers light in case someone accidentally clicks on them.

Dude, calm down. That is what people do on message boards. They discuss things, films included, and films they haven't even seen. Maybe I'm not as big a Godzilla fan as you are, but I am a fan of film, and they're not mutually exclusive. Is that okay?
I'm asking a question, why are you so worried? I'm not turning this into a pissing contest of who the bigger fan is. Youve been critical of the CGI too, I'm trying to understand your perspective because you seem pretty wound up for a movie you may or may not even see.

Eteric Rice

I'm watching a bunch of Godzilla Showa movies right now in prep for it. It's been so many years since I've seen some of these.

Also, GMK was the best of the millennium movies imo.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
The system flawed, sure, but it doesn't hurt at all to see your movie with a 85-90% rating at RT.

I expect WB to hand Gareth Edwards a blank check for his next movie.

Oersted

I like how they counted this to fresh:

"Godzilla" has technical prowess and computing power that the early efforts could only dream of; but by upping the effects without paying attention to the affect, "Godzilla" gains majesty and loses meaning.

Btw, has any of the big critics joined in?

With the new American Godzilla coming out let's look at all the American design takes of the King of The Monsters.

The Steve Miner/Bill Stout Godzilla that never was from 1982. There was even a shout out to Godzilla in Friday the 13th part 3 with Godzilla on the cover of a Fangoria magazine.
Godzilla_3_D_model_color_by_Gareku.jpg

The 1994 Godzilla that was designed by Stan Winston which eventually morphed into Godzilla 1998 when Tri-Star wouldn't give Jan Debont enough money for his film.
Concept8.jpg

Godzilla/GINO/Zilla 1998
godzilla-review-1998-2.jpg

I'm pretty sure we're all familiar with this version for better or worse.

Godzilla 2014
clear_by_thrillerzillaart-d7h32ws.png

The Godzilla design in the new reboot and in my opinion the best of all these designs.

Is a spoiler thread really necessary? This thread isn't exactly fast moving, and I don't see the difficulty in highlighting all spoiler discussions.
Well I didn't want to scare people out of the thread with giant black walls of text. And when the film comes out, it'd be nice to have a thread to discuss without worrying about spoilers.

For instance, I want to have an in depth discussion on Ford but it isn't fun doing it covertly.

Well I didn't want to scare people out of the thread with giant black walls of text. And when the film comes out, it'd be nice to have a thread to discuss without worrying about spoilers.

For instance, I want to have an in depth discussion on Ford but it isn't fun doing it covertly.

Obviously anyone can start a spoiler thread at any time, but like Snaku, I find them redundant. I mean, what becomes the point of this thread when everyone takes the entire discussion of the movie somewhere else? Then people have to follow two threads at once if they want all their discussion of Godzilla. Yeah, sure, highlighting text can get kinda of annoying, but that's about it.

With the new American Godzilla coming out let's look at all the American design takes of the King of The Monsters.

The Steve Miner/Bill Stout Godzilla that never was from 1982. There was even a shout out to Godzilla in Friday the 13th part 3 with Godzilla on the cover of a Fangoria magazine.
Godzilla_3_D_model_color_by_Gareku.jpg

The 1994 Godzilla that was designed by Stan Winston which eventually morphed into Godzilla 1998 when Tri-Star wouldn't give Jan Debont enough money for his film.
Concept8.jpg

Godzilla/GINO/Zilla 1998
godzilla-review-1998-2.jpg

I'm pretty sure we're all familiar with this version for better or worse.

Godzilla 2014
clear_by_thrillerzillaart-d7h32ws.png

The Godzilla design in the new reboot and in my opinion the best of all these designs.

Yeah, 2014 Zilla is easily the best. But I actually kinda like the Crocodile-esque 94' version as well

Top Bottom