• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Godzilla |OT| Legendary

Corpsepyre

Banned
I suppose one can blame Bay and Emmerich for infusing in the public the need to laugh, giggle and shit during a movie.Now, people expect that every damn film that comes out is going to cater to dates and family reunions in the cinema. There's nothing wrong with watching a big summer blockbuster with zero humour, and 'critics' need to understand that. They're critics, afterall.

Has this size comparison been posted?

Some of the more recent Holywood giant monsters including the new Godzilla and Gino.
Ln7E282.jpg

source

I suppose one can blame Bay and Emmerich for infusing in the public the need to laugh, giggle and shit during a movie.

1) I wouldn't "blame" anyone for wanting their action/adventure movies to have some laughs in them, and if I WAS going to blame somebody, I'd probably blame, say, Steven Spielberg, or John McTiernan.

2) The problem isn't that Godzilla doesn't have any laughs, it's that people aren't educating themselves as to what kind of Godzilla movie this is before they go see it. It's not like the marketing isn't making it VERY apparent, though, because it is. So essentially, people are just kinda being willfully ignorant on that scale. Which isn't a problem with "the critics," but with people in general.

So far, none of the fans, friends, and Godzilla aficionados I know have any problems with the lack of humor in the movie. Their only problem is that there aren't very many emotional connections to the people, but since the atmosphere is built so beautifully, and the action is done wonderfully, they're willing to give the bland acting (save for Cranston) a pass.

sunnz

in terms of size, 5 obviously.

In terms of danger and how capable it is, can't really put him(her, it) in a category since that suggests something more powerful could be produced, which is not the case.

MegalonJJ

Banned
haha what? they had absolutely no chemistry. wasn't there not even a script? and the actors were forced to come up with their own dialogue? and the white guys just says "I don't know" like at the end of every scene?

They weren't actors per se (or maybe they were) BUT they were in a relationship together well before filming, hence getting married shortly afterwards.

Edit: Pacific Rim is garbage, not sure why it keeps being mentioned in a Godzilla thread. Human element was beyond awful, but at least in the (and I hate to say this because Showa >> everything else), few lesser Showa series films, the human element had godtier clothing (+ 1 for the Ron Perlman performance)).

mcz117chief

My dad got to an early screening and said that the movies blows. Monsters using nuclear subs as tuna cans and eating nukes to build up their radiation reserves and stupid stuff like that.
Is that really in the movie or did he saw something else ?

My dad got to an early screening and said that the movies blows. Monsters using nuclear subs as tuna cans and eating nukes to build up their radiation reserves and stupid stuff like that.

...that's pretty much how it's always been portrayed in Godzilla movies. Godzilla's heart is a nuclear reactor and uh... yeah. I haven't seen the movie yet, but that sounds real accurate to the Godzilla mythos.

are you pissed this isn't a sequel to Predator 2 like you wanted?

From what I read,
the MUTO do steal a nuke at one point and its connected to their mating ritual somehow?
so it probably isn't too far off from the truth. Someone who's seen it can clarify

Well, since there isn't anything out in theaters that any person could even REMOTELY confuse for Godzilla right now, the question is basically "is your dad lying to you or not"

Does your dad normally bullshit you for his personal amusement?

Holy shit, it was fucking awesome. My heart was racing, my eyes were transfixed and my mouth was open throughout the entire thing.

Fantastic visuals, they're really used to tell the story efficiently. Loved it!

mcz117chief

Well, since there isn't anything out in theaters that any person could even REMOTELY confuse for Godzilla right now, the question is basically "is your dad lying to you or not"

Does your dad normally bullshit you for his personal amusement?

He is a director of a computer company and has business connections with some of the most influential people in the world in this department, so he often goes on trips to the USA, Australia, UK, Japan and they show him all kinds of crazy stuff. I was wondering if he, for example, didn't see some older Godzilla re-master or some other movie all together with big monsters. He is not really into these kinds of movies you know.

Just came home from the theater. Decent flick, pretty typical summer blockbuster stuff though; would have preferred something a bit more original.

I am just asking, it sounds way too weird and I accept Godzilla now for what it is and understand it. I just want to know if he really saw the movie, if he is just making stuff up or saw something else.

He's telling the truth, but those events are well explained in the movie and are far from stupid or weird, your dad just must not of paid attention at all during the exposition scenes. The MUTO's require nuclear energy as an incubator in their reproductive cycle, they require atomic energy to breed, the whole time the MUTO's were just following their nature and were trying to mate, enter Godzilla, Kaiju cock-blocker.

Heroman

Banned
Yeah, it's true. But I didn't find it stupid at all. Also, I liked the part when Godzilla snowballs one of the other monsters to death lol

I didn't find it stupid. It was fucking awesome way to make the muto look strong as shit. The scene were the muto was eating the missile out of the sub made my mouth drop.

mcz117chief

He's telling the truth, but those events are well explained in the movie and are far from stupid or weird, your dad just must not of paid attention at all during the exposition scenes. The MUTO's require nuclear energy as an incubator in their reproductive cycle, they require atomic energy to breed, the whole time the MUTO's were just following their nature and were trying to mate, enter Godzilla, Kaiju cock-blocker.

I don't even know what
MUTO
is, I only ever saw one Godzilla :D He also said that
the Godzilla is a good guy and saves the world
, also true ?

I don't even know what
MUTO
, also true ?

Your dad is basically complaining about stuff that most Godzilla fans will love about the movie.

See it yourself, it was awesome.

lilltias

I didn't find it stupid. It was fucking awesome way to make the muto look strong as shit. The scene were the muto was eating the missile out of the sub made my mouth drop.

Sorry, didn't mean to imply that you did, I was referring to that dad. And yeah, that scene was awesome. But the scene when Godzilla goes over the airport to face the muto and they show only the foot with the flaming background was godlike. I just laughed out of pure awesomness.

mcz117chief

Your dad is basically complaining about stuff that most Godzilla fans will love about the movie.

See it yourself, it was awesome.

Yeah, I plan to. Especially if the thing with
Godzilla fighting other monsters rather than insta-killng poor humans is true

I don't even know what
MUTO
, also true ?

Muto's are the two male/female monsters in the movie, Godzilla is not "good" he's neutral to humanity, the movie explains that Godzilla is the natural predator of the muto, so naturally he hunts them down like the alpha predator he is. The movie is quite clever in how it explains the monsters, so definitely see the movie for yourself and make your own opinion of it, a lot of things clearly went over your dads head.

Amalthea

Banned
I am just asking, it sounds way too weird and I accept Godzilla now for what it is and understand it. I just want to know if he really saw the movie, if he is just making stuff up or saw something else.
That was actually etablished in the franchise in Godzilla 1984 when Godzilla absorbed (fed on) the nuclear core of a seaside nuclear plant, wich was meant as a criticism on building them directly at the ocean. Wich is quite tragic in hindsight.

Heroman

Banned
Sorry, didn't mean to imply that you did, I was referring to that dad. And yeah, that scene was awesome. But the scene when Godzilla goes over the airport to face the muto and they show only the foot with the flaming background was godlike. I just laughed out of pure awesomness.

That has be one of the best Godzilla intro. The only ones I can think of that are better is from terror of mechgodzilla and Biollante

One thing I absolutely loved about the movie was
the shot of Ford's son waking up on the couch and seeing Godzilla fighting the MUTO on TV.
I thought that was a great shout out to G fans everywhere.

mcz117chief

Muto's are the two male/female monsters in the movie, Godzilla is not "good" he's neutral to humanity, the movie explains that Godzilla is the natural predator of the muto, so naturally he hunts them down like the alpha predator he is. The movie is quite clever in how it explains the monsters, so definitely see the movie for yourself and make your own opinion of it, a lot of things clearly went over your dads head.

Yes, sir, I will go and see the movie myself. I never regret seeing a movie, I have a very high bullshit threshold (although the Thor 2 movie almost forced me to leave the cinema, that is probably one of the weakest movies in movie history) so I am pretty sure I can handle just about anything :)

kch

Just came home from the theater. Decent flick, pretty typical summer blockbuster stuff though; would have preferred something a bit more original.

I didn't get the "summer blockbuster" wibe really. As others mentioned, the lack of funny moments or witty comments helps build a more sincere and dark movie compared to Transformers or Pacific Rim for example. What do you mean with "more original"? Since it's based on other Godzilla movies I don't really see how they could change it that much. 98 version was the "summer blockbuster" movie in my eyes.

It was great imo. Some scenes were incredible.

Pretty typical blockbuster stuff? Edwards' direction blows stuff like Joss Whedon and Guillermo del Toro's out of the water.

I didn't get the "summer blockbuster" wibe really. As others mentioned, the lack of funny moments or witty comments helps build a more sincere and dark movie compared to Transformers or Pacific Rim for example. What do you mean with "more original"? Since it's based on other Godzilla movies I don't really see how they could change it that much. 98 version was the "summer blockbuster" movie in my eyes.

It was great imo. Some scenes were incredible.

Didn't it follow every cliche in the book? That's what I'm talking about. Still a decent flick though.

Top Bottom