• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Godzilla |OT| Legendary

kch

Didn't it follow every cliche in the book? That's what I'm talking about. Still a decent flick though.

Well like I said, it's Godzilla. I wouldn't go watch a Godzilla movie and expect something completly different than just that :)
And I thought Edwards did a good job of
having the monstes be more in the background, and focusing on characterbuilding, until the "final battle".

P4iatp8.jpg

Movie was just catastrophic. Like, literally. And it was great!

Holy shit, it was fucking awesome. My heart was racing, my eyes were transfixed and my mouth was open throughout the entire thing.

Fantastic visuals, they're really used to tell the story efficiently. Loved it!

I didn't get the "summer blockbuster" wibe really. As others mentioned, the lack of funny moments or witty comments helps build a more sincere and dark movie compared to Transformers or Pacific Rim for example. What do you mean with "more original"? Since it's based on other Godzilla movies I don't really see how they could change it that much. 98 version was the "summer blockbuster" movie in my eyes.

It was great imo. Some scenes were incredible.

Wow this movie ROCKED! Glad I went to the cinemas! :D
Good. Goooood.
Did you really dislike Pacific Rim, Expendable? That's almost as disappointing as Bobby's hatred of Monsters :(
Well, Bobby does like Into Darkness, so that might explain that.

Kidding, Bobby, kidding! I haven't seen Monsters. <3

The curse of seeing this early is having to wait until it releases to see it again. Fuuuu. You can't just have one!

On the flipslide, I can freely peruse my artbook without worrying about spoilahs.

Good. Goooood.

Well, Bobby does like Into Darkness, so that might explain that.

Kidding, Bobby, kidding! I haven't seen Monsters. <3

Heh. :)

I thought Pacific Rim was okay, myself. Nothing great. When you know how absolutely flimsy-thin it is on the second viewing, it becomes a little more fun because you're not splitting your focus through the characterization that isn't really going anywhere. You can just mark time until the next goofy/ridiculous action sequence.

Heh. :)

I thought Pacific Rim was okay, myself. Nothing great. When you know how absolutely flimsy-thin it is on the second viewing, it becomes a little more fun because you're not splitting your focus through the characterization that isn't really going anywhere. You can just mark time until the next goofy/ridiculous action sequence.

And that's why I like it. I would love a movie like Pacific Rim that is just a really good film but I'll take Pacific Rim b/c...well there aren't a lot of those movies getting made. So sad to say, I'll take what I can get as long as it's not garbage.

just saw it and i liked it too!

very true to the original character in all its good and bad features :D even got shivers during some of the classic godzilla moments! and a great fatality at the end too!

but be prepared to see a slow movie, it's not very fastpaced and lingers on moody shots with ambient music a lot.

characters beyond Walter White were pretty cardboard too, no real time to shine or act anything proper. I think it was a bad move to cast the main guy to be an emotionless jarhead soldier.

just saw it and i liked it too!

very true to the original character in all its good and bad features :D even got shivers during some of the classic godzilla moments! and a great fatality at the end too!

but be prepared to see a slow movie, it's not very fastpaced and lingers on moody shots with ambient music a lot.

characters beyond Walter White were pretty cardboard too, no real time to shine or act anything proper. I think it was a bad move to cast the main guy to be an emotionless jarhead soldier.
I've been wondering is it just ATJ acting or the way he is written that really kills the character?

I disgree. Had the human characters been more round, they'd have such a cliched existence within the film. It's like Spielberg films always having a bad father figure learning to be a good father figure when all hell breaks loose. I feel that the characters remaining grounded added to their emotion and their development.

As for Ford,
I get the sense that he developed his father's traits but is only able to express them in a more militaristic sense unlike his father. His father did whatever it took to search for the truth, including landing in jail and worse, dying. So for Ford to do whatever it took to A) get back to his family and B) help out in anyway, it made for the perfect amount of character development needed to establish why he's doing what he's doing and why he always ends up in the middle of the action.

Blablurn

Tell me what you think right now, mister!
Stunning! My heart was pumping like crazy afterwards. When the credits rolled out me and my friend needed to refocus a lil and calm down haha.

I was afraid of a slow start but i was surprised that this is not the case.

Once shit goes down, it doesnt stop. There might be some calmer moments here and there but since the danger is still going on you never feel bored.

Considering this is a origin movie im surprised about the pacing. The movie goes through many chapters without losing the leitmotif, the focus. Its just damn right.

Big G was superb. Dont wanna talk to much about it. People should just experience him.

People questioned the special effects before the release. But there is no need to. It looks perfect and believable considering its a movie about giant monsters.

hEist

Watched it couple minutes ago.
Overall I would give it a 7/10

sometimes a bit "slow" the whole movie. And man, we need more scenes with Godzilla. Liked the overall scenery.

Still over 30 hours until I get to see this, and I can't help but lurk this thread, so it would be much appreciated if you could all please refrain from saying how OMGAWESOME it was and instead talk about that awful Puff Daddy one until tomorrow night.

Thank you for your understanding.

Heroman

Banned
No, sorry. By "part," I mean aspect (direction, tension, monster fights, climax, etc). I'm just trying to eat up all the impressions I can find.

The best part is the monsters especially Godzilla.Once you see him for the first time you will a great big old smile on your face.

Blablurn

Loved the introduction of the enemy. Really enjoyed that part.

And the main brawl was fantastic. I clearly remember two special scenes that left me in awe. Worth the price alone.

fanboi

Banned
Regarding Godzillas look
I didn't really like the teddy bear look, I know it is in line with the original, but it wasn't coherent with the other monsters

Ok Movie!

The curse of seeing this early is having to wait until it releases to see it again. Fuuuu. You can't just have one!

This.

So much this.

It also sucks that I won't be able to go see it again on opening night and I'll have to wait until next week.

Can't get this movie out of my head even two days later.

Man, we need a sequel NOW. It's going to suck having to wait 4 years (rough guess) for one.

I hope the movie gods somehow get their shit together and let someone release Godzilla '85 sometime soon. Maybe even a special pack-in with the '14 BR release?

Blablurn

omg. The scene where you see the tail loading up and the blue color moving up his body is so badass. The whole composition with the muto attacking ford and godzilla coming out of the dust is breathtaking

klausbert

Regarding Godzillas look
I didn't really like the teddy bear look, I know it is in line with the original, but it coherent with the other monsters

Ok Movie!

I didn't mind how Godzilla looked, but those Tofus looked pretty weak compared to some of the older Monsters like King Ghidorah.

Heroman

Banned
omg. The scene where you see the tail loading up and the blue color moving up his body is so badass. The whole composition with the muto attacking ford and godzilla coming out of the dust is breathtaking

I was like this when that happen
godzilla-dance-o.gif

My audience went batshit crazy during that part. So much fun.

Mine too. The first of many times the audience cheered! Cannot wait to see this again tomorrow with a group of friends; definitely one of the most fun times I've had at the movies in a while.

Cheers for the link to those passes in the other G thread, by the way. Wouldn't have made it in otherwise!

Raptor

Stunning! My heart was pumping like crazy afterwards. When the credits rolled out me and my friend needed to refocus a lil and calm down haha.

I was afraid of a slow start but i was surprised that this is not the case.

Once shit goes down, it doesnt stop. There might be some calmer moments here and there but since the danger is still going on you never feel bored.

Considering this is a origin movie im surprised about the pacing. The movie goes through many chapters without losing the leitmotif, the focus. Its just damn right.

Big G was superb. Dont wanna talk to much about it. People should just experience him.

People questioned the special effects before the release. But there is no need to. It looks perfect and believable considering its a movie about giant monsters.

Great impressions cant wait!!

Blablurn

The sense of scale. The weight, height, and mass of these creatures are FELT, not just seen. Their respective speeds and strengths and body language too. It was masterfully crafted.
i love how they just brawl through the whole city and destroy every fucking building.

I also rooted big time for godzilla. Not only because i liked him before but also because the movie presented him in a very noble way.

The king of the monsters reference later on was spot on

Top Bottom