• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Godzilla |OT| Legendary

Toxi

Banned
Fanart is almost done, man this is taking ages to finish...
What do you guys say?

Schermata2014-05-15a021510_zps233cc66d.png

Need to add some spurts, try some colors variations, maybe "Godzilla" in kanji on top and i'm done. :)
Oooh, I like it.Great reference to the monster's roots.

Fanart is almost done, man this is taking ages to finish...
What do you guys say?

Schermata2014-05-15a021510_zps233cc66d.png

Need to add some spurts, try some colors variations, maybe "Godzilla" in kanji on top and i'm done. :)
I liked the spines on the other one better. But it's still a nice piece. I like the kanji idea.

@dreamcastfan: Artwork based on the new film but has more of a cartoony look which makes it look like the older eras aesthetically.

agreed w/ the post above me on the spines.

wouldn't suggest adding the kanji. this piece works thanks to its simplicity. the reference is obvious enough as is, kanji would just belabor the point and worse, clutter the design.

should add: this is the first and only bit of fanart for this movie that I want to own in some form.

Mdk7

agreed w/ the post above me on the spines.

wouldn't suggest adding the kanji. this piece works thanks to its simplicity. the reference is obvious enough as is, kanji would just belabor the point and worse, clutter the design.

should add: this is the first and only bit of fanart for this movie that I want to own in some form.
LOL, i spent quite a few hours on those spines, and it's pretty ironic to me at this point.
But again, i do appreciate some feedback & critiques, and i sincerely thank you for the very kind comment.
Can't wait to see the movie in less than 20 hours, lol!

PS: you will definitely be able to buy this piece on Society6 as a poster, and i'll upload the design on Qwertee as well as soon as it's finished, thanks again!

EDIT: BTW i'm looking back at the previous version and frankly kinda agree with you on the spines. -_-"

It was painful to make those, ouch.
Now i agree it look less like Godzilla 2014, but it's better blent to the wave motif.
Thanks for the feedback buddy!
I'm not sure how much work is involved, but can you take the detail of this new and add it to the silhouette of the other one?

Actually, the detail isn't needed as it adds to the cresting wave effect. Maybe bolder lines?

Does the added depth heighten the sense of scale at all?

I've never cared for 3D, but I'm watching this in IMAX solely to see it on the biggest screen and with the biggest sound possible. Godzilla deserves no less, damn it!

Maybe in a couple of shots -- one in particular -- but nothing really noticeable overall. But I wanted to see it in IMAX for the exact same reason you posted, and on that front it does NOT disappoint.

Mdk7

I'm not sure how much work is involved, but can you take the detail of this new and add it to the silhouette of the other one?

That's what i will probably do: save for the spines i improved the face, some lines and completed the waves here and there.
I will take the best of this version, and blend it with the old spines i think... It shouldn't take too long (as long as i still have the old file, LOL.

EDIT: done it, now it's really a blend of the two.
Better now? (i think so)
Or i could leave the spines all white, as they used to be.
Schermata2014-05-15a030456_zps4cca8e58.png

Does the added depth heighten the sense of scale at all?

I've never cared for 3D, but I'm watching this in IMAX solely to see it on the biggest screen and with the biggest sound possible. Godzilla deserves no less, damn it!

3D actually reduces the sense of scale in most cases. I don't know how it is for this film though.

I hate how they make all the IMAX/AVX theatres with 3D...

I hate 3D

I'm gonna have to wait for X men to come out so I can watch Godzilla and X men on the same day. Does anyone else sneak in another movie after their first finishes lol?

Replicant

I saw it IMAX 3D, and I'd say you're better off with a 2D showing. The 3D wasn't really anything special.

I saw it in IMAX 3D and it was pointless. There is no 3D besides the opening credits (which were cool but not THAT cool). I don't think they are showing it in IMAX 2D but it wasn't filmed in IMAX so doesn't matter.

Heck, if you need a BIG screen, just find a big theater and sit closer to it.

Thank you guys! Be booking a normal theater then.

That's what i will probably do: save for the spines i improved the face, some lines and completed the waves here and there.
I will take the best of this version, and blend it with the old spines i think... It shouldn't take too long (as long as i still have the old file, LOL.

Better now? (i think so)
I would buy a t-shirt with this on it. Just saying.

strobogo

Banned
No, but the new ones are pretty memorable in that when you start hearing them, you're ready for what's to come.

Bummer. I thought since it is playing so close to the original that the themes might be in it. At least in the credits. Fuck. If the credits DON'T have the roar and then classic theme, they have failed at the easiest thing.

Better now? (i think so)
PERFECT! Excellent work.

Bummer. I thought since it is playing so close to the original that the themes might be in it. At least in the credits. Fuck. If the credits DON'T have the roar and then classic theme, they have failed at the easiest thing.
A first it's easy to think this way, but then this isn't the original movie. Godzilla is a different beast here and a different theme is in line with that.

Jedi2016

I guess it depends on what you want out of 3D. I wouldn't imagine a film like this would have much "pop-out" due to the scale, but if the 3D depth can make Godzilla appear far away, then he would seem that much bigger, and that's the sort of effect I would want in a film like this.

In any event, the local theater's biggest and loudest screen always shows 3D when it's available, so that's probably how I'll end up seeing it.

They generally don't do that in movies. I would get hype beyond belief if they had the 90s X-men theme in DOFP.

strobogo

Banned
A first it's easy to think this way, but then this isn't the original movie. Godzilla is a different beast here and a different theme is in line with that.

They generally don't do that in movies. I would get hype beyond belief if they had the 90s X-men theme in DOFP.

It's basically like a Toho motif. Is it a spoiler to ask if this movie counts or hints at the '54 version having actually happened?

Better now? (i think so)

Give me a link at which I can give you my money, because I will buy a print and place it on my wall.

Just came back from seeing this. 2D Version.

Everything was serious and on point. None of that bullshit humor they shoved down our throats in GINO 1998. A+ they got a director that actually knows Godzilla.

This has to win best sound in all the award categories.

Visuals were great also.

I hope this is a success. More King Of The Monsters Please!

Spoiler Impressions.

*Loved the opening Credits. Everything getting Re-Dacted
*Heisenberg gone too early :(
*The build up/unveiling of Muto 1 was fantastic - same with the 2nd much larger Muto
*Godzilla's first appearance in Hawaii.. Chills! Then cut to TV footage of them fighting. Down we didn't get them fighting live, but the scene was great.
*The second fight we have him catch Muto in his mouth then doors close. No more day fighting. Double Down!!!! Would have screamed for a day fight.
*The final fight between the 2 Mutos was great. Atomic Breath rocked, not over
exposed in effects like Godzilla 2000 and beyond... well done. Especially how his whole body and tail light up blue.
*That final scene Atomics King Mutos mouth .... Loved It! Tosses his head lol!
*I felt a little off Godzilla fought for the people/was the good guy. We hail Godzilla a Savior instead of a menace - (im guessing the direction they are going with this) 1985 and Biolantee films are my favs.... a mean Godzilla is the right Godzilla!.. Nevertheless.... still loved it!

4/5

RobbieNick

GAAH I CAN'T DECIDE!

Should I go to my local theatre a mile from my house and see the 7PM showing in 3-D or go about 4 miles up and see it in IMAX (7 PM). IMAX would be the best but it's more expensive and a little further away. Are there any freebies being handed out?

Wynnebeck

Banned
Ha, I just got back from the mall and I also picked up a Godzilla t-shirt from Spencer's lol. A red one with G destroying a buiding.

Nice. I got the white one with Godzilla's face in front of a Japanese flag surrounding him in the background. It's big, loud, and ready to crush some buildings!

Skab

Someone on my twitter saw this earlier tonight and said it was boring. And A lot of people are taking him at his word. :/

Long time Gojira fan, watched it in 3D last night because the 2D version was programmed much too late for me, and I'm also not really a fan, feels like I'm watching movies in my old View-Master.

Enjoyed the movie a lot, great sound design and visuals, didn't like the lead actor all that much and in extension most of the scenes with the military, but I loved the overall set-up and the monster fights were glorious.
Maybe Godzilla was a bit too friendly tho ;)
I smiled at the background TV images in one of the final scenes
, where you see Godzilla leaving and it is captioned "King of the Monsters?"

kai3345

Banned
Just got back, other than the slow pace, Ken "Exposition" Wantabe and having
Godzilla be the "good guy"
I mostly enjoyed the film.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Oh god that was awesome. 8/10 for me!

I don't think it's slow as much as it has a bit too much human focus, but with that said it's better than the Broderick flick.

Godzilla
isn't really a good guy per se, seems to be just a "force" of balance.
With that said he does look moe in that one close up shot.

The MUTOs never had official names eh?

GAAH I CAN'T DECIDE!

Should I go to my local theatre a mile from my house and see the 7PM showing in 3-D or go about 4 miles up and see it in IMAX (7 PM). IMAX would be the best but it's more expensive and a little further away. Are there any freebies being handed out?

I'm in the same boat, however it would be 12pm for me because the 7pm is sold out as fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck, and I'm not going to pay for a side seat for an IMAX.

Is it a spoiler to ask if this movie counts or hints at the '54 version having actually happened?
Minor spoiler answer (gathered from trailers):
No, but Godzilla did exist in 1954. His arrival was thwarted by H-bombs and covered up as bomb testings.

Actual plot spoiler and theory:
A group is formed after the existence of Godzilla is known, called Monarch, that studies these creatures and tries to understand why they exist. Fast forward to 1999, and we see a Godzilla like poster pitted against another monster. I'd bet that in the film, believing in the existence of these giant monsters is much like people in the real world believing aliens exist because of the whole Roswell thing. Some people believe it, some don't and some know what actually happened. So I'd say Godzilla '54 existed in universe as interpretation from eyewitness accounts of the bomb "tests".

Top Bottom