• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Godzilla |OT| Legendary

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
For the record Pacific Rim's budget was 190 million, while Godzilla's was 160 million.

Why Pacific Rim got a bigger budget than Godzilla I'll never know.
IDK, when budgets start creeping that high, I don't necessarily assume more is better. I'd like to think you could do just about any movie justice with 150 million or less, nevermind more than that.

The whole group I went with really liked the movie. Ranged from 26 - 61 in age.
My father loved the movie and said it was the best-done giant Monster movie he knows. He loved the music and the "scale" of things.

I was also amazed with many setpieces and the epicness of some shots.
The family thing was a bit overdone, but not that distracting or bad.

Godzilla was superbly done and when you see him the first time and he screams, I think the whole audience got chills.

In my book one of the best Monster movies ever and definetly better than Pacific Rim (which I also liked).

Movie was pretty bad. It has amazing visuals for itself, great sens of scale and destruction, but even if it's surfing on the original and modern thematic of nuclear fear (then the bomb, today, civil reactors) and post 9/11 scenery of destruction in main US cities, I felt it did everything so poorly compared to how good the visual and aesthetics would go.

I hate the amazing build up for Godzilla showing up and... nope. They did it twice. To cut to fucking useless characters and their uselss subplots. Seriously... ugh...

IDK, when budgets start creeping that high, I don't necessarily assume more is better. I'd like to think you could do just about any movie justice with 150 million or less, nevermind more than that.
That's certainly true, but I think it might explain why Pacific Rim's CGI has been described as better. I'll find out for myself tonight.

The good thing about Godzilla's budget though, is that it will be easier for it to make its money back for the sequel.

Review from Matt Zoller Seitz has me hyped:

Gareth Edwards' 2014 "Godzilla" takes its cues from that great sequence, and from the 1954 original's Hiroshima-and-Nagasaki inspired tracking shot past a row of bloodied hospital patients, and the camcordered immediacy of "Cloverfield," and the gas station sequence in Alfred Hitchcock's "The Birds," and the Do Lung Bridge sequence of "Apocalypse Now," in which American soldiers' enemies were portrayed as faraway shadows, shooting flares and yelling obscenities. These movie moments are all about perspective and point-of-view—not just what you're seeing but how much, and under what circumstances. "Godzilla" is about those things, too. It's less interested in a giant monster's rampage than in what it might feel like to be a tiny human watching it close up, or far away, or on TV.

The sheer filmmaking craft on display here shames almost any comparably budgeted superhero picture you can name. The movie borrows from Steven Spielberg's "Jaws," "Close Encounters of the Third Kind" and "War of the Worlds," as well as from earlier popcorn classics that shaped Spielberg. (The Cranston/Binoche/Taylor-Johnson family has the surname Brody, like the family in "Jaws," and Cranston's traumatized seeker is basically Roy Neary from "Close Encounters.") "Godzilla" doesn't just show, it unveils. It builds sequences gradually, withholding important information until the end of a scene or sequence. It's so confident that it tosses off shots that lesser films would save for their climaxes or showcase on their posters.

I'd give the movie serious demerits if it weren't so brilliantly directed, and if this aspect weren't characteristic of giant monster films as a whole, and if the filmmakers didn't go out of their way to make the humans' marginal status part of the movie's world view, which is something along the lines of: We're guests here, and we can be snuffed out or kicked out at any moment. Unlike "Star Trek Into Darkness," "Man of Steel" and other recent blockbusters, this one's aware of the devastation and death that would occur if its scenarios were real. Lots of people die in this movie, onscreen, screaming.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Hi guys. I have a question about the 3D version. I didn't even know there was one? Is it legit, or post processed? Judging from the one trailer I've seen I don't think its a real 3D movie.

Hi guys. I have a question about the 3D version. I didn't even know there was one? Is it legit, or post processed? Judging from the one trailer I've seen I don't think its a real 3D movie.

Post converted. I will try and see both, if I enjoy it enough (which I am sure I will)

Taking the whole family - wife, three kids and all their boy/girlfriends - to the 10pm IMAX 3D Premier here in town after a BBQ supper together... this is going to be AWESOME!! I can't wait!

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Post converted. I will try and see both, if I enjoy it enough (which I am sure I will)

Mmm cool. Yeah thats what I thought. I'm kinda disappointed beacuse it looks my theater isn't doing any midnight showings. :[

Oh jeez, they're doing an 8pm and a 10pm.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Movie was pretty bad. It has amazing visuals for itself, great sens of scale and destruction, but even if it's surfing on the original and modern thematic of nuclear fear (then the bomb, today, civil reactors) and post 9/11 scenery of destruction in main US cities, I felt it did everything so poorly compared to how good the visual and aesthetics would go.

I hate the amazing build up for Godzilla showing up and... nope. They did it twice. To cut to fucking useless characters and their uselss subplots. Seriously... ugh...

It's more of cockteasing than anything. It's not like they didn't deliver when the actual monster fight happens.

B33

Banned

It's a post-converted 3D film. It was not natively shot in 3D.

The 3D falls between Clash of the Titans (horrid) and Avatar (exemplary) for me. I don't think it's essential and would have preferred a 2D showing if one was offered for the early screening I attended.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Cool! Yeah I'm gonna check the 8pm non 3D showing tonight I think.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
First hour build-up was excellent. Then the film starts to flag a lot in the second and third act.

Some fantastic imagery, yet also some REALLY spotty CG.

I'd have to agree about the pacing, but the CG looked fine to me.

I saw it last night, and while I liked it alot, I'll just say this: with respect to Pacific Rim, which for reference I loved, I enjoyed myself more during PR than I did with Godzilla. That's not to say that I didn't like Godzilla because I did overall, but after the first 30-45 minutes the movie lost something for me, and frustrated me, and while the end was very nice it just took too long to get there IMHO. Pacific Rim had it's problems I admit, but the pacing of the story felt better to me than Godzilla's did. Godzilla teased the audience so much that I began to lose interest after awhile.

I guess in short, it's a good movie and I'd recommend it if you are a fan of monster movies, but personally I had more fun with Pacific Rim overall. Curb your expectations and you will most likely enjoy watching it.

Hooray!

You’ve got movie tickets!

Here’s your order summary:
Showtime & Theater Details
Movie: Godzilla (2014)
Date: Saturday, May 17, 2014
Time: 9:30pm-RS
Quantity: 2 Adult

Got two tickets for tonight, and a group showing lined up for next week. All told, I'll probably see this thing half a dozen times.

Less than 12 hours to go now. See you folks on the other side.

Goddamn, this was great.

I love how they slowly build up Godzilla, there's a real sense of tension as you wait to see the bug guy. Didn't much care for the main lead and thought it would have been better to see the entire movie through Cranston's eyes, but that's not too much an issue.

The real highlight was the final twenty minutes or so. The entire cinema (and it almost packed, which was surprising for 11.30am)were in complete silence.

I also really liked how Godzilla moved, there was sense of a guy in a suit, but it wasn't overplayed and it looked fantastic. Not sure if that was an easter egg for fans of the original, but I loved it.

Can't wait to watch it again over the weekend.

More from MZS's twitter:

I really dig the Spielbergian special effects striptease approach in GODZILLA. Immediate full-frontal ILM is incredibly boring.

I could probably list 30, maybe 40 shots from GODZILLA off the top of my head, and I saw it almost 2 weeks ago. Brilliantly directed.

Last tweet sounds pretty hyperbolic, but HYPE

Wilbur

Banned
I really liked it. It's been side time and time and time again in reviews, but it felt like a hybrid of Spielberg films; it had the awe and wonder of Close Encounters, the tension and pacing of Jurassic Park and the fucking nutso destruction of WOTW. Edwards does a real good job of letting the story breathe, and presenting character motivations early on (as much as the characters are getting knocked for not being astonishingly well realised, they're rounded and identifiable through simple but good characterisation, and well acted; if there is going to be small parts like Binoche's or Hawkins, I'm glad they're performed well by good actors).

Gorgeous film as well; it looked superb and sounded just as good. Some real fucking top money shots, there's a level of visual storytelling here that is above a lot of other blockbusters. All the shots have a purpose, they're all designed to exist in the context of what's happening on the screen.

Some flaws; I'm not altogether fond of over focus on military because it's such a trope, and
the MUTOs were kicking Godzilla's ass before they got distracted, which weakened his character a tad; indeed I thought the MUTOs were presented as more threatening (although loved how Godzilla just ignored the boats right next to him the whole time he travelled :lol
. But I really enjoyed it.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Got my artbook, hardcover Awakening, and Destroya blu right before I left for work. Hype at maximum levels. It's been a long time since I've had this type of excitement for a movie. It feels like an old friend is finally coming back. These movies meant so much to me as a kid, keeping me company when I spent weekends at my grandma's house and it's exciting to see how a new take on them will turn out.

btw I heard this Godzilla has Toho's blessing?

From a review at AICN:
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/67271

I ended up talking with producer Thomas Tull and while I was thanking him for helping me out with the tickets a Japanese man came up and Tull immediately looked nervous. “So, what did you think?” The man answered that he and his colleagues were amazed with the movie and couldn't believe how perfectly Godzilla was captured. “This is the Godzilla from my childhood.” He said this with a hand over his heart, I swear to God. Tull looked taken aback, both relieved and amazed at the same time. After the man left, Tull leaned over to me and said, “He's the head of Toho.”

Premiere after parties are always a place of much pleasantry, but you could tell both the Toho guy and Tull were really emotional about the experience and that moment was something special to witness firsthand, let me tell you.

FafaFooey

I saw the IMAX screening this afternoon and if you have the chance to see it on a regular 3D screen, go do that. The IMAX picture quality almost looked like an upscaled version. Not nearly as crisp as other IMAX screenings I've seen and I'm almost certain they've used some kind of edge enchancement filter.

The movie itself was pretty good. Not something I'd want to see again in the near future, but a fun ride nonetheless. I'd have prefered
Bryan Cranston being the lead actor instead of the dude from Kick-Ass, since he basically gets to the end in one piece by sheer luck while Bryan's character actually had the persistence to do some research and think about the whole situation. His son stumbles, falls and crashes his way to his daughter and kid. Which obviously wasn't enough because he also saves an Asian kid on the side in a very contrived subplot.
After
Cranston's character dies
, basically the entire movie turns into a story about people being evacuated and the army being powerless all the while Ken Watanabe stands around saying stuff like "People-u think-u we the boss-u of nature. Is-su the other-u way around-u"

I guess the story material demands a lot of CGI or else the movie couldn't have been realised at all, but this almost made The Hobbit look like an old-fashioned theatre play when it came to the lack of practical effects and real sets. Everything looked so incredibly shiny and rubbery. I'm no Godzilla purist whatsoever and only saw the 1997 movie so that's where my Godzilla-knowledge ends, but he
just ruined an entire city and in the end he just swims off with everyone standing between rubble and burnt bodies going "awwwwww... our hero!".

It was in no way a bad movie but on the pure badass scale I found Pacific Rim to be much more satisfying. The music was pretty cool though.

RobbieNick

I saw the IMAX screening this afternoon and if you have the chance to see it on a regular 3D screen, go do that. The IMAX picture quality almost looked like an upscaled version. Not nearly as crisp as other IMAX screenings I've seen and I'm almost certain they've used some kind of edge enchancement filter.

Welp, going to my local theater then.

Only going to 3-D showing because I hate crowds.

I can't believe there's some many Pacific Rim haters. I loved that movie.

number11

I kinda regret watching the trailer. The movie was never gonna live up to the hype I had when I watched that.

Overall it's a much better film than Pacific Rim.. Although that's not saying much.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
OMFG I am such an idiot. I bought my ticket online expecting to print it out. But I have to pick it up at the kiosk so I figured I'd go down there and pick it up right now so I can just walk directly inside tonight... well so I drive down to the theater and they're not open yet.

How can I have failed so harshly trying to get this ticket. Ugh.

I don't know if I'd directly compare it to Pacific Rim, but in a pure monster flick comparison, Godzilla is the better of the two.

The monsters have a better sense of weight and impact on the world compared to Rim. They feel believable in how they move, act, etc. The ones in Rim, not so much. I did like the designs in Rim a lot more though.

OMFG I am such an idiot. I bought my ticket online expecting to print it out. But I have to pick it up at the kiosk so I figured I'd go down there and pick it up right now so I can just walk directly inside tonight... well so I drive down to the theater and they're not open yet.

How can I have failed so harshly trying to get this ticket. Ugh.

A fail worthy of King Caesar! ;)

inky

For the record Pacific Rim's budget was 190 million, while Godzilla's was 160 million.

Why Pacific Rim got a bigger budget than Godzilla I'll never know.

190 million is estimated budget. Legendary wanted a big franchise, while Godzilla already has name recognition.

It mainly had to do with a very expensive 3D/conversion. GDT finished the movie well under budget and was against 3D conversion, but Legendary wanted 3D and opened the checkbook and spent a lot of money (much more than your regular conversion) in having GDT oversee all of it, and it took twice as long as the process regularly does. That's why it ended up being so expensive.

now that its out, anyone want to put up a spoiler thread, or is there not much to discuss? Does it have seeds planted for sequels?

Is there any post credit scene i should stay to see?

Top Bottom