• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Godzilla |OT| Legendary

OH GOD FUCK YOU FOR NOT LIKING WHAT I ANTICIPATE
Haha not sure if sarcasm or real rage but I've seen it and it's far from terrible. And if his drive-by post is anything to go by, it obviously wasn't made for him in mind. People can be disappointed, but his attempt at humor at we fans expense is pretty silly when we've already enjoyed the film.

okdakor

Remember this one from the old comic-con teaser ? He's not in the movie, was it created only for the teasing ?

OkVcRsP.png

I love how the theme of the movie reminds me of god-tier Elfman. Hulk, Batman etc. The soundtrack is actually far from what you'd expect. More ambience for the really jaw-dropping sections with a lot of choirs and melancholic strings in between. No Zimmer-horns as far as I can tell.

Denzar

My impressions if anyone cares:

The general feeling I had when leaving the theater was that more could have been done with this movie. It's very entertaining and incredibly spectacular. As a monster movie, it's up there with the best of them, if not the best in recent memory. The effects, the atmosphere, the build up and especially the sound effects are all incredible. Godzilla looks amazing and incredibly impressive. I wasn't a big fan of
the MUTO's design
They looked too slick and "stylised" to me. I would have preffered them looking more organic and less similar to one another

Godzilla's biggest problem is it's human characters. Aaron Taylor Johnson is not entirely convincing as the lead character, and the plot that propels these people forward is flimsy at best. Bryan Cranston's acting chops are well dispalyed, considering the poor writing. Good effort, but it just falls flat on it's face. Then again, I don't think anybody goes to see a Godzilla-flick for it's character drama.

There are also some hints
for a sequel
sprinkeled across the films running time. At one point I spotted a
terrarium/aquarium with a sticker that says "Mothra" on it. It got my hopes up that perhaps Mothra would be showing up as well as a MUTO for a triple threat battle with Godzilla himself.
Unfortunately that was not the case.

All in all I had a ton of fun, but the feeble character drama distracts too much for the movie to reach it's full potential.

Dmax3901

I have never been more frustrated in a cinema. First hour of the movie is a waste, the rest is meandering, dull, and poorly executed. Pacific Rim shits all over this.

First hour build-up was excellent. Then the film starts to flag a lot in the second and third act.

Some fantastic imagery, yet also some REALLY spotty CG.

Dmax3901

It was actually a joke the amount of times it cut away from the action JUST as it was getting good.

But Pacific Rim is shit...

Hmm. I don't know what to believe seeing as Pacific Rim was terrible.

And here I was, thinking opinions couldn't be wrong.

The script and acting in Pacific Rim was cringeworthy of course. But the robot and monster designs were incredible, and the fight scenes had such weight to them. It was dumb fun.

Godzilla is dumb and the fun is lackluster.

Most people seem to disagree. Can you elaborate a bit?

A lot of the time the CG looks really good, while at other times it looks really shitty.

But seriously, the compositing in the latter half of the film looks really off. And Godzilla himself moves really unnaturally at times. I'm sure there will be Gojirra fans who will claim that it's an homage to the stop-motion stuff, but there are times where it's plain as day that the animation is badly done.

But the main thing is the compositing in the film.

Dmax3901

Yeah Godzilla definitely changes size a few times. I apologise for the hyperbole, but here's a bit more (spoiler tagged just in case):

It's like they decided to make a movie about the people who weren't actually anywhere near Godzilla when he attacked. The monsters were always just over a hill or something, the crazy shit was always going on "over there". I get there has to be a build up but they did a very poor job of it imo.

So many character moments fell flat. Every romantic scene, every time we saw his family or he bonded with a random soldier/stranger's child, I was just screaming "I don't care, show me the fucking titular monster." The kiss at the end with the music crescendo was painful.

Can anyone comment on whether or not that Stars of the Lid song that was in one of the trailers is actually in the movie? (And is aptly named "Don't bother, they're here")

I can't recall, it does sound familiar so maybe?

Daingurse

My theater has showings tonight, so I'm there pretty much. Might go to the latter showing, so I can try and show my step-dad Godzilla 1985. Weed should help.

AC!D

It was actually a joke the amount of times it cut away from the action JUST as it was getting good.

The script and acting in Pacific Rim was cringeworthy of course. But the robot and monster designs were incredible, and the fight scenes had such weight to them. It was dumb fun.

The robot designs in Pacific Rim were lame and I couldn't see what the hell was happening during the fights. For me, Pacific Rim was a complete mess and had no redeeming features whatsoever.

First hour build-up was excellent. Then the film starts to flag a lot in the second and third act.

Some fantastic imagery, yet also some REALLY spotty CG.

That was one of my concerns, the CG. I saw that one trailer with Godzilla at the bridge and there were fireballs that looked awful. Just terrible.

Eteric Rice

The weakest of the series, yes. But it's nothing compared to the godawful Godzilla's Revenge or the disturbing Godzilla vs. Hedorah. Seriously, what the fuck at that night club scene?

Meh, I love Godzilla vs Hedorah. Yeah there were some weird night club scenes, but I kind of feel like Hedorah is a cool monster (that they could probably bring back) and it's general craziness is just fun.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I'm sure there will be Gojirra fans who will claim that it's an homage to the stop-motion stuff, but there are times where it's plain as day that the animation is badly done.
I've seen a hint of that in the trailers and thought it looked pretty deliberate, honestly. Bad CGI doesn't simply look like stop-motion or puppet stuff. That's by design.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

Que?

Godzilla fights was awesome, really felt primal while managing to remain true to its source. Also how is Godzilla dumb?

Snaku

Banned
The weakest of the series, yes. But it's nothing compared to the godawful Godzilla's Revenge or the disturbing Godzilla vs. Hedorah. Seriously, what the fuck at that night club scene?

Fun fact: Yoshimitsu Banno, director of Godzilla vs. Hedorah, is an executive producer of Godzilla (2014). He's also still trying to get a Hedorah sequel produced.

BokehKing

Banned
I'm glad I don't know a lot about CG, cause everything in the trailer looked great to me.

But I mean.... Come on, grew up watching godzilla shooting crooked arcing blue flames out his mouth for 30 years, I'm sure this movie is fine

thenexus6

So just got back from seeing it, holy shit that was good! I am not even the biggest fan of follow Godzilla I have seen bits and pieces but i'm not a die hard fan or anything. This movie was REALLY well done, as lame as it sounds during some scenes my eyes were going watery with excitement! Haha

I saw the initial trailer then stopped watching any more to avoid spoilers, the trailer does show quite a lot of the movie but whatever.

Can't really fault much about it... definitely best "summer blockbuster" for me and doubt anything will top it.

Also, i'm the kind of person that feels all the music used in 2001: A Space Odyssey is sacred to that film only and think when people use the music it sounds super out of place - however theres a piece of music from 2001 used in this (not sure the name but people will recognise it) and I thought it fit really well.

I'm going to watch some of the older Godzilla movies on Netflix over there weekend!

In terms of the plot, if someone can help me understand..
why did the try and transport the bomb via train isn't of just airlifting it? What it because of the EMP would knock it out of the sky? Surely they could've gone out of the range by air and worked in closer by boat?

Also
Didn't expect Cranston to die pretty early into the movie, and was glad Watanabe was in it quite a bit.

I also love the way Ken Watanabe said Godzilla for the first time.

A lot of the time the CG looks really good, while at other times it looks really shitty.

But seriously, the compositing in the latter half of the film looks really off. And Godzilla himself moves really unnaturally at times. I'm sure there will be Gojirra fans who will claim that it's an homage to the stop-motion stuff, but there are times where it's plain as day that the animation is badly done.

But the main thing is the compositing in the film.

I saw it last night. I kind of agree. The CG effects looked best when we see Godzilla from the vantage point of the citizens. And I also felt some of the sound effects when he's fighting is a bit lacking in oomph (but his trademark roar is astounding). The Kaiju CG from Pacific Rim easily bests this movie.

And I agree, aside from Cranston, the acting is really bad. The lead actor guy had absolutely no charisma or no sense of urgency. Just a bland performance overall.

But I still really enjoyed this movie. People complain about the lack of Godzilla, but I thought it was the perfect amount of monster action. The build up was great.

Blader

Do we get to see Godzilla in the daytime, or at least in clear-looking shots? One of my problems with Pacific Rim is that they obviously spent a lot of time and effort on creating their mechs and monsters, but then stuck them exclusively in night and rain scenes so you could barely make them out.

Tag the answer I guess, I don't really care but others might.

Do we get to see Godzilla in the daytime, or at least in clear-looking shots? One of my problems with Pacific Rim is that they obviously spent a lot of time and effort on creating their mechs and monsters, but then stuck them exclusively in night and rain scenes so you could barely make them out.

I haven't seen the movie, but I've seen clips of him in broad daylight. It's in the trailers.

in clear daylight, yes, mostly at the end. But most of the shots take place in the rain and at night where there is a lot of smoke a debris. Still lots of good clear shots of Godzilla during those segments though.

For the record Pacific Rim's budget was 190 million, while Godzilla's was 160 million.

Why Pacific Rim got a bigger budget than Godzilla I'll never know.

Top Bottom