• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Godzilla |OT| Legendary

Epix

godzilla_sizes.jpg

Blader

Is there? I have never noticed... I take it it's one of the human characters?

There's a human psychic introduced in Biollante who they contrive into being a part of the other movies, but there's also a lot of minor plot points that carry over from movie to movie.

Biollantes death scene really ruined it for me. If you've watched it, you know what I mean.

Biollante was ruined for me by all the goddamn Engrish. It's so bad and there's so much of it.

Snaku

Banned
First time I ever seen anyone hate Biollante. It's easily one of the best in the Heisei era.

I can't believe anyone would put Mothra, MechaGodzilla, Destroyer, or even that steaming pile SpaceGodzilla over it. King Ghidorah I can understand, given how batshit crazy that movie is, but the rest...absurd.

MegalonJJ

Banned
This person knows what's up. Plus having a hilarious Godzilla avatar for as long as I can remember.

Jet Jaguar, aka me, rules!!

Is anyone else planning to see it in Dolby Atmos? Only one cinema here in London is equipped with it (where I've booked my tickets).

I can't believe anyone would put Mothra, MechaGodzilla, Destroyer, or even that steaming pile SpaceGodzilla over it. King Ghidorah I can understand, given how batshit crazy that movie is, but the rest...absurd.

Destroyah's pretty good. I also agree with King Ghidorah. Those 2 and Biollante are my favorite from that era.

Blader

Destroyah is legit good and the best one behind the original (and maybe this movie too, we'll see). Mechagodzilla is also solid; good costumes, lots of cool-looking action, no objectionable human elements.

Biollante just has too much Engrish bullshit going on.

Special C

I'm just so partial to the Showa series. Even Godzilla's Revenge has a special place in my heart from when I was a kid. I had a bunch of the VHS when I was a kid. When I graduated high school I spent most of graduation money on completing the entire set. (Paid 50 bucks on ebay for Godzilla vs the Smog Monster). That was the point where I bought the Heisei and Millenium movies, and have probably only watched them 1 or 2 times total.

Especially when SpaceGodzilla is probably one of the worst films in the entire series.

And MechaGodzilla isn't a whole lot better to be honest.

Akainu

It's kind of annoying that the only commercials I actual got a look a godzilla was when he was eating a car and choking on it. : /

Disappointed
60% military action
20% disaster film
20% godzilla action

Show godzilla for 3-5 mins cut to more military crap

Glad its free sneak peak

Another forum review, this time from IMDB
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0831387/board/nest/229500515

Tons of spoilers, but here is the good non-spoiler stuff
The human element is heavy in this movie and I already know this might put off people who're expecting a 2 hour Monster Madness Bash. However, Godzilla 2014 mirrors Gojira 1954 in that the human aspect is incredibly important and Godzilla is part of it all.
All the characters are pretty well acted. Bryan Cranston just... The guy knocks it out of the park so hard... Seriously, the ball would end up in Tokyo if he knocked it from LA... The long way around. Easily the best human character in the movie.
Watanabe is awesome as well, and a lot of hints and characteristics of the original Serizawa can be glimpsed at times.
I really don't get the hate for Aaron, he did well in my opinion (more on that in the spoiler section).
Elizabeth Olson... Not only does she look better than her sisters, she can actually act as well. I already know she and Aaron will be dynamite in Age of Ultron.
The King of All Monsters Himself, GODZILLA:
Beautiful. In one word, he's beautiful. I can't really say much without spoiling, but he's definitely TOHO's Gojira. He's powerful, he's mighty and he demands respect on screen. Don't fear a Zilla, this one DEFINITELY has the GOD part nailed.
The MUTOs:
They're scary. Absolutely scary and worthy of a place in Godzilla's rogue's gallery. They're well designed and they move in an almost alien like fashion. However, they're not really villainy either. There's an element there that makes you see their side of the story as well. Well designed, well presented, nicely delivered.
As I said before, there's a HEAVY focus on the human element here, and a lot of people will go and say that Godzilla takes a backseat. This, however, isn't true if you look at the movie as a whole. Edwards said that Jaws was one of his inspirations and it really shows since (while Godzilla isn't always there) Godzilla's presence is always in the scene. He might not be shown in every scene, but there's always that ominous feeling. That feeling of dread. He's built up the entire time and when the pay off comes, it's GOOD pay off.
The Score:
This might be the weaker point of the movie. While the main theme is pretty awesome, the rest of the score is mediocre during the movie, but when the main theme is thrown in, you sit at the edge of your seat and grin. Accompanied with the battles/visuals of the monsters, it really has an Ifukube vibe and is a nice addition to the Godzilla Theme Pool.

The CGI:
I'll be brief on this, don't believe what the trolls say. The CGI is incredibly good, and even though I'm a guy who thinks 3D is a gimmick, I think it really works for this movie and actually makes the monsters look even bigger than they are.

pel1300

Disappointed
60% military action
20% disaster film
20% godzilla action

Show godzilla for 3-5 mins cut to more military crap

Glad its free sneak peak

people keep contradicting each other on this...some say you don't see godzilla for the first 2/3 of the movie, but once he shows up he gets plenty of screen time.

people keep contradicting each other on this...some say you don't see godzilla for the first 2/3 of the movie, but once he shows up he gets plenty of screen time.
There is but mostly its standing or walking around. But the fight scenes r short (cut to show more human scenes)

So it's like most Godzilla movies.

no most godzilla movie has more action than this.

wat really annoyed me was first Muto and Godzilla confrontation. I was this is it... and cut to human scene
Edit: wait u mean the roland emrich one. Yes that one has alot of military stuff

So does anybody else love Godzilla vs. Gigan? I watched it as a kid, and it was probably the biggest reason I was such a big Godzilla fan as a kid.

So does anybody else love Godzilla vs. Gigan? I watched it as a kid, and it was probably the biggest reason I was such a big Godzilla fan as a kid.
HA. I just bought and watched that today. Was alright. I don't remember seeing it as a kid despite owning a Gigan figure and knowing of its existence.

Blader

I don't really like the movie (cockroach aliens, tons of stock footage, weird monster talk) but Gigan was always one of my favorite kaiju designs.

no most godzilla movie has more action than this.

wat really annoyed me was first Muto and Godzilla confrontation. I was this is it... and cut to human scene
Edit: wait u mean the roland emrich one. Yes that one has alot of military stuff
Are you talking about suplexes, full nelsons and playing Tekken ball with rocks, or are you talking about the military action in the older movies? Because if the only action/destruction in the entire film was what we saw in the trailers, then I still would view it better than them.

Are you talking about suplexes, full nelsons and playing Tekken ball with rocks, or are you talking about the military action in the older movies? Because if the only action/destruction in the entire film was what we saw in the trailers, then I still would view it better than them.
U might enjoy this then
I was just expecting more Godzilla fight

Top Bottom