• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Godzilla |OT| Legendary

are there gonna be any high quality posable figures of this? only see kids toys that look all weird.

Think Bandai is gonna do a MonsterArts (basically highly articulated, in-scale, collector oriented figures) of the 2014 Godzilla but that might be a bit off. Probably in the Fall/Winter.

kinda hesistant seeing godzilla in IMAX atm with godzilla not being around for much, buuuut i assume the audio mix is fantastic for this?

eh fuck it, need my 1 or 2 imax movies of a year, and i can't think of anything else this summer.

Bulzeeb

Can't wait so hyped

Oy7KkxT.gif

wtf, where is that from? hahaha

80%, I'd wager. The lack of Godzilla in the first two-thirds will stupidly make some reviewers mad.

I think it's going to be a bit lower than that judging by the first few reviews. I'd guess it will end up in the 60% -75% percent range. I'm reading a lot a mixed responses on the characters and the lack of Godzilla screen time.

munchie64

Most of the reactions are positive to mixed the only bad ones right now are Time, Forbes, Guardian, Bloody Disgusting and the Wrap. I won't be able to see the movie till next Friday to put my opinion out there.
Scanning all the reviews seems to indicate the biggest problem is not enough Godzilla/action. Not sure how I feel about this.

EDIT: That Guardian review at least seems horrible though.

Scanning all the reviews seems to indicate the biggest problem is not enough Godzilla/action. Not sure how I feel about this.

EDIT: That Guardian review at least seems horrible though.

Seems overblown to me. Wondering if many of these reviewers are thinking of the original or the general pop culture memory of Godzilla when they think of this. As long as the final battle lives up to the teasing I'm happy.

Kinda find it dumb where every other movie's climax builds up to a city smashing finale, people seem to be expecting 2 or 3 monster attacks in this. It's the first movie, damn. No patience anymore.

Toxi

Banned
Reviews seem decent so far. Percentages tend to go down after the first initial bunch, but we're a long way from that point.
No one cares about his review. He'll just turn on the movie in a few weeks when everyone likes it and the Hulk finds something wrong with it.
???

Little disappointed with the lack of Godzilla but I guess I'm just gonna stuff myself with Popcorn until he appears.

So it's basically like most Godzilla films and the original: rarely showing up until the end, and then there's a huge monster fight.

Expectations, reviewers. Expectations.

Blablurn

So it's basically like most Godzilla films and the original: rarely showing up until the end, and then there's a huge monster fight.

Expectations, reviewers. Expectations.

yeah, im sure it will be fine. even emmerich didnt go all out with his monster lol.

.la1n

My interest has dropped significantly since finding out that the main reason I want to see the movie is missing for 2/3rds of it :(

Wilbur, did you read this part of the review? wtf (also spoilers, so don't bother)

Happily, the Brit director’s take on the Toho studio icon gives full reign to his ability to create compelling imagery and a knockout monster mash. It’s a shame, then, that the movie gets caught between honouring the character’s B-movie conceit AND delivering a let’s-take-everything-super-seriously approach de rigueur in post-Dark Knight blockbusterdom. If any film needed a sense of levity, it is one about a 355-foot lizard hitting stuff.

Did they rewatch the original movie? "post-Dark Knight" "Nolanised tone" bullshit.

Wilbur, did you read this part of the review? wtf (also spoilers, so don't bother)

Did they rewatch the original movie? "post-Dark Knight" "Nolanised tone" bullshit.
Godzilla 2014 has been an excellent case study in revealing who has and who has not seen the original movie — or any Godzilla movie, for that matter.

Nintyb

Banned
I'm fine with the Jaws approach. Almost all CG fests bore me these days. Looking forward to seeing it next weekend.

It's Empire. Christophe Nolan and Simon Pegg films are all they know.

If there was ever a advertisement, I'd always pay attention to Empire's review. Now that has diminished for some reason. It's not a terrible review or anything but man...

The one thing I hate about movie reviews is when they lay out the whole plot of the movie as if I give a shit about that before watching it. The fact that Expendable had to put a Spoiler Free disclaimer is worrying in itself. No, just one sentence on the premise and then talk about the quality of the film.

Some movie critics are as bad as those 2:30min trailers that give everything away.

This is becoming a joke at this point.
As well as draining the film of any true suspense, the dramatic premise of Godzilla is delivered entirely po-faced. There's some kind of subtext about the abuse of nuclear power, perhaps an environmentalist thread too. It's all a bit muddled. But whatever the message is, it's delivered at the expense of humour. Even Cranston, who in his role as eccentric whistleblower is channeling the spirit of Malcolm in the Middle, gets just one joke to deliver. "I don't get many visitors," he says when Taylor-Johnson pays a visit to his conspiracy pit. Even that comes over as sad.

Wilbur

Banned

Yeah, it's a pretty bad review. Empire have been slacking a lot recently.

Thankfully the 54 Godzilla is also pretty average because it has dat post dark knight tone

dPrJaGc.png

This is becoming a joke at this point.

I'm not one to gripe about reviews – especially when I haven't seen or played what they're reviewing in questioned – but...I...I don't get it. Were they expecting a comedy?
Guardian said:
So while many people might want to go to the cinema to see Godzilla, what they get instead is a load of homosapiens desperately trying to put a human face on the drama.
HAVE YOU NOT SEEN THE ORIGINAL MOVIE FROM WHICH THIS FILM IS BASED

Top Bottom