• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Godzilla |OT| Legendary

This is becoming a joke at this point.

Yea I dont get why thats a criticism either.

I remember a certain superhero movie from last year that people loved to hate
Man of Steel
getting alot of that. I know there were other problems people had with it but I remember in some of the reviews I read, the most prominent things were stuff like "utterly joyless", not enough jokes etc. Unless it was supposed to be a comedy I dont understand how many jokes people want in these movies that are made to have a serious tone.

Plus, the original Godzilla was pretty bleak

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Lol its like Uncharted 3 review thread
9/10 = Body Ready
5/10 wat a fucking joke review.

People aren't dismissing the score though, they're dismissing the criticism that the film isn't full of jokes when that's evidently not what the director was going for

Eteric Rice

Yeah, that review was kind of... Huh?

Hopefully the movie stays around 75%. As a big fan of Godzilla, I'd be okay with that. It'd be way better than what a lot of other fandoms got out of hollywood.

Rotten tomatoes scores don't mean that much to me any more, besides giving vague impressions of what films critics like. The Raid 2 I think has a 75% and that was great.

I don't think this movie will be as good as its trailers have suggested, but I think it will certainly be one of the better, more restrained, and artful blockbusters.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
The Guardian review just seems like the reviewer has a chip on his shoulder. This part just seemed way too over-sensitive:

The story has been told so many times that you can call it with your eyes closed. America is living happily, America is in peril, America confidently thinks it can solve its problem with guns, America can't, America panics, America is saved by a single bloke. America has now been under existential threat so many times, and from so many adversaries, that you wonder why anyone even bothers trying to assemble a military response any more. Just ask that plucky individual to do it by himself, it tends to work.
Boohoo, nobody wants to blow up the UK.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
The Guardian review just seems like the reviewer has a chip on his shoulder. This part just seemed way too over-sensitive:

Boohoo, nobody wants to blow up the UK.

It's less "nobody wants to blow up the UK" and more "I'm a left-wing writer and hate the overuse/storytelling-safety-net of 'America/American Individualism saves the day' tropes."

dan2026

I am so worried this will be a load of boring humans taking up all the time, when all we want to see is monsters fight and cause destruction.

Real Hero

I am so worried this will be a load of boring humans taking up all the time, when all we want to see is monsters fight and cause destruction.
That's not a film though. There has to be build up to stuff like that. Godzilla itself wouldn't be respected if the original film was just monsters fighting with no thought behind it.

WillyFive

The human parts are always the weakest parts of the Godzilla movies; hopefully they avoid that problem here one way or the other (preferably by having people to care about).

Man of Steel
getting alot of that. I know there were other problems people had with it but I remember in some of the reviews I read, the most prominent things were stuff like "utterly joyless", not enough jokes etc. Unless it was supposed to be a comedy I dont understand how many jokes people want in these movies that are made to have a serious tone.

Man of Steel is kinda of a bad comparison; it was certainly not meant to be a horror movie.

El Daniel

I don't know. I like the human perspective on a apocalypse like this.

Maybe less Monster is more. A long as the human drama is good. I like the Cloverfield approach. Not to much monster, always wanting for more.

My favorite movie with such an awesome sense of scale is the Tom Cruise War of the Worlds. The camera angles and haze effect added realism to the scale and I hope Godzilla accomplishes such a feat... and it seems it has based on early footage.

Snaku

Banned

Gaf loves circle jerking over Final Wars, go check out how long it takes for him to show up after the very brief prologue. At the very least this movie won't be saddled with Kitamura's terrible directing and shit characters.

ReiGun

Man of Steel

There seems to be a growing trend of judging movies by what we think they should be be rather than what they are or are aiming to be. Especially with adaptations of popular properties. A lot of people hate "Man of Steel" because it doesn't fit their vision of what Superman should be*, and it seems like many will walk away from "Godzilla" with sour impressions for similar reasons.

What's interesting is that many people's idea of what they "should" be are based on limited information. The popular idea of Godzilla movies - goofy two hour wrestling matches between dudes in monster suits destroying replica cities - is based on the limited exposure to the franchise many have had. Lots of people aren't aware that some Godzilla movies can be pretty bleak or how little the big G shows up in a lot of them. Add in our growing expectation that all blockbusters be "fun," and I can see why the movie is garnering some of these reactions.

*Before someone says it, yes, I am aware that people hate MoS for many other reasons. Lord knows we've been talking about the movie long enough. However, there's no denying that there's a group whose reasoning doesn't extend far beyond "not my Superman."

strobogo

Banned
Gaf loves circle jerking over Final Wars, go check out how long it takes for him to show up after the very brief prologue. At the very least this movie won't be saddled with Kitamura's terrible directing and shit characters.

Final Wars gets very mixed opinions whenever it gets brought up on GAF. There is no circle jerk over that movie on this board. Just as many people or more hate and think it is garbage. Because it is garbage.

Daingurse

Final Wars is good fun, I can't take that movie seriously for even a second. Still enjoy it a lot, because it's fucking crazy. Also reinforced the fact that Ebirah is a trashy kaiju.

wuth

It's less "nobody wants to blow up the UK" and more "I'm a left-wing writer and hate the overuse/storytelling-safety-net of 'America/American Individualism saves the day' tropes."

I was always under the impression that the Guardian was fairly conservative...

Eteric Rice

Which is weird, because Godzilla has played almost every role. The hero, the villian, anti-hero, force of nature, etc.

Well, whatever. I'll enjoy it.

Blader

Most Godzilla movies are pretty light on Godzilla, actually. Even the dirt-cheap Showa films.

Hell, even Destroy All Monsters is mostly humans vs. aliens.

There seems to be a growing trend of judging movies by what we think they should be be rather than what they are or are aiming to be. Especially with adaptations of popular properties. A lot of people hate "Man of Steel" because it doesn't fit their vision of what Superman should be*, and it seems like many will walk away from "Godzilla" with sour impressions for similar reasons.

What's interesting is that many people's idea of what they "should" be are based on limited information. The popular idea of Godzilla movies - goofy two hour wrestling matches between dudes in monster suits destroying replica cities - is based on the limited exposure to the franchise many of had. Lots of people aren't aware that some Godzilla movies can be pretty bleak or how little the big G shows up in a lot of them. Add in our growing expectation that all blockbusters be "fun," and I can see why the movie is garnering some of these reactions.

*Before someone says it, yes, I am aware that people hate MoS for many other reasons. Lord knows we've been talking about the movie long enough. However, there's no denying that there's a group whose reasoning doesn't extend far beyond "not my Superman."

Hit the nail on the head with force of a Godzilla stomp. I've been thinking of this for so long and it's obnoxious as hell people have this mentality.

"Oh man, this character I have a sort of limited understanding of sucked in the new movie cuz he wasn't like how I thought it would be".

EDIT* It's at 77% with 13 reviews so far. See it dropping to the 60s probably.

What's interesting is that many people's idea of what they "should" be are based on limited information. The popular idea of Godzilla movies - goofy two hour wrestling matches between dudes in monster suits destroying replica cities - is based on the limited exposure to the franchise many of had. Lots of people aren't aware that some Godzilla movies can be pretty bleak or how little the big G shows up in a lot of them. Add in our growing expectation that all blockbusters be "fun," and I can see why the movie is garnering some of these reactions.

This is a really good post. You can tell that many of these reviewers haven't seen a Godzilla movie in their life, and many of their reactions seem to be based on what they think Godzilla films have been and impressions of what particular form they take – including the first film – rather than what they really are.

From the few reviews that I've read, those who have seen Godzilla films and know what to expect tend to rate the movie higher than those who haven't seen any Godzilla films and don't know what they're getting going in.

This isn't to say that those who have seen the film may not have good points. The characters could be as flat as some reviewers are saying, as far as I know, and that's fair. It's not like past Godzilla characters have been all that stellar.

RobbieNick

Final Wars gets very mixed opinions whenever it gets brought up on GAF. There is no circle jerk over that movie on this board. Just as many people or more hate and think it is garbage. Because it is garbage.

It's incredibly fun, non-stop action garbage.

Final wars is pretty bad but it does have two awesome things going for it, don motherfuckin frye weilding a katana, and the g-man at the end wrecking some kaijuu. And that's what makes the film fun despite kitamura being a hack with only one decent movie(versus).

ReiGun

This isn't to say that those who haven't seen the film may not have good points. The characters could be as flat as some reviewers are saying, as far as I know, and that's fair. It's not like past Godzilla characters have been all that stellar.
True. The movie could, and probably does, have real problems. Like, if the human drama doesn't work, then that sucks because the humans have to engage us until Godzilla shows up.

Still, I worry about our growing unwillingness to meet a movie on its terms and judge it on its own merits. That's obviously going to be a little harder to do with adaptations of popular franchises, but I think it's worth it to try not judging a film outside of your own expectations of what the IP "should" be and instead focus on whether or not it works as its own narrative.

Ive had to stop reading a few of the reviews due to spoilers, but I haven't had a problem any reviews besides the Guardian one. It's garbage. The writing is fucking schlock. Spikes like the tour de france? Roar like Barbara Streisand? SCHLOCK.

Plus, The article has been edited since it was first posted last night. He originally said the Emmy's should consider taking away Cranston's awards for BB for his work in this movie. No, I'm not making that up.

Sitting at 87% now. I think the RT score will be fine, hopefully it settles over 80.

Just for reference...

Pacific Rim- 73%
Cloverfield-77%
GINO (1998)-25%

Post converted a 99% CGI movie. Well, this one has a lot of CGI but also seems to have a bit of live action as well.

Gravity was an animated movie, it was going to have perfect 3D no matter what.

I understand that Gravity has an ass load of CGI but I would expect Godzilla also be CGI heavy especially in the scenes where 3D is going to play the strongest. For me 3D is the best when it gives a sense of scale. That's what worked so well in Gravity and I hope it helps make Godzilla look huge.

East Lake

Sitting at 87% now. I think the RT score will be fine, hopefully it settles over 80.

Just for reference...

Pacific Rim- 73%
Cloverfield-77%
GINO (1998)-25%
Damn I have to watch GINO again. I haven't seen it in so long I don't even remember how bad it was. Only remember not liking it when I saw it.

strobogo

Banned
Damn I have to watch GINO again. I haven't seen it in so long I don't even remember how bad it was. Only remember not liking it when I saw it.

It's really not any worse than disaster movies from its time. If it didn't have the Godzilla name, it'd probably be looked at about the same as ID4/Armageddon/Deep Impact/Twister. It's not even the worst Godzilla movie.

Corpsepyre

Banned
This Godzilla lives up to the first half of its name, and there is a great deal of character to it in every moment we see it onscreen. There are some images during that final stretch of the film that any fan of Godzilla will be amazed by, images that feel like they were pulled out of the collective dreams of all of us who have been fans of the big guy over the past 60 years. This could easily be ground zero for a whole new series of films, but if it remains a stand-alone single movie, Edwards told an entire story, and for the first time in as long as I can remember, it feels like Godzilla actually matters.

http://www.hitfix.com/motion-captured/review-beautiful-and-badass-godzilla-

----

Fuck!

Toxi

Banned
The only reason people kept talking about what Man of Steel should have been was that it utterly failed at what it was trying to be.

Hopefully Godzilla succeeds in that aspect.
enjoy the subtle godzilla when you can.

godzilla is gonna be doing backflips by movie 3.
1393449172738.gif

Top Bottom